What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

LSU junior WR Justin Jefferson has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Jefferson joins a handful of other LSU players declaring today now that the season is over. A slot savant with the chops to also survive on the outside, Jefferson is a shifty route runner over the middle who knows how to create space. Jefferson is exceptionally coordinated and agile for being 6-foot-3, 192-pounds. Any NFL team would benefit from having him on the roster and slotting him into a role similar to that of Keenan Allen (Chargers) or Michael Thomas (Saints). Even for as loaded as this WR class, Jefferson shouldn't make it past the second round.

SOURCE: Pete Thamel on Twitter

Jan 15, 2020, 4:54 PM ET

According to WalterFootball.com draft analyst Charlie Campbell, LSU junior WR Justin Jefferson could be a better fit as a No. 2 wide receiver as opposed to a No. 1 at the NFL level.

As part of a position group headlined by Biletnikoff Award winner Ja'Marr Chase, Jefferson (6'3/192) has been a solid option in the passing game for QB Joe Burrow. The junior wide receiver has caught 88 passes for 1,207 yards and 14 touchdowns, and he'll have a decision to make regarding the NFL once LSU's season comes to an end. As to his potential fit at the next level, Jefferson may be better as a No. 2 wide receiver as opposed to a No. 1 in the opinion of Campbell. "In the NFL, Jefferson may not be a big separation receiver because he may not have elite speed to run by pro cornerbacks," Campbell wrote. "Jefferson could be better off as a No. 2 receiver playing off a No. 1 and taking advantage of single coverage. It would help Jefferson to add some strength and fill out his frame for the NFL." Jefferson is ranked seventh among draft-eligible wide receivers by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., as the position projects to be one of the deepest in the 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: WalterFootball.com

Dec 24, 2019, 3:24 PM ET

Pro Football Focus credited LSU junior WR Justin Jefferson with a perfect passer rating when targeted in Saturday's convincing win over Utah State.

Jefferson (6'3/192) continues to strive for the top spot among WRs in the FBS. Against Utah State, Jefferson saw 11 targets, nine of which he caught for a whopping 155 yards and two touchdowns. It is not just that Jefferson could produce at such a high clip that is impressive, it is that he could do so without wasting very many reps. Almost every ball that gets thrown his way ends up in his hands one way or another. Following Saturday's "perfect" performance, Jefferson now ranks seventh in the country in receiving yards, and first in the SEC.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 10:36 AM ET

LSU WR Justin Jefferson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Jefferson (6'1/202) didn't post the fastest run among the first group of wide receivers on Thursday, but make no mistake, this was a fabulous sprint, one which should help the LSU wideout's stock coming out of the combine. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah referred to Jefferson's run as the most important 40 of the day, noting that it was "huge" for the wideout.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 7:34 PM ET

📽️ LINK Video

NFL Total Access@NFLTotalAccess

Which WR made the biggest jump up the board at the #NFLCombine today?

@89JonesNTAF thinks it was @JJettas2

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dane Brugler@dpbrugler

Walking out of Lucas Oil, a few quick thoughts:

- QB3 battle (Herbert/Love) still alive and well

- WR Justin Jefferson had the best night

- However high you have WR Denzel Mims, it’s probably not high enough

- Lamb still WR1 Writing a full recap tonight. #NFLCombine

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL Network@nflnetwork

“I am asking coaches in real time who’s making themselves some money tonight. The answer from everyone is

wide receiver Justin Jefferson. 4.4 40-yard dash and proof he can play outside in addition to inside.” -

@pschrags#NFLCombine

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a huge fan. He was very good this year. The only question is how much of that was just riding on the coattails of Burrow.
Or perhaps it's a "vice-versa" situation?

Do we have a few legit comps to this guy?

Will he be system-dependent?

I'm a fan.

Eighth off the draft board according to Hindery and his dynasty rankings. That 4.4 is huge. Oooweee.
The 40 helped but pre-combine Daniel Jeremiah had him ranked as his #17 overall player in the draft.

I've had no reason to do a total ranking but had him as my WR5 before the combine and that's when I thought he would not run fast. I moved him to WR3 since.

One of the comps I heard on him before the combine was Keenan Allen but that's when people thought he would not run fast.

Is he system dependent? I think that's a good question. To a degree everyone is but I think in a general sense the answer to that may rest with him. I can't recall exact stat but almost all of his receptions came out of  the slot. His size and speed suggest he can be more. If he can't and he's just a slot guy then I think he becomes much more system dependent. That's probably my biggest worry him. Checks every other box. Production, size, speed, route running, contested catches, dominating in big games against big time opponents, consistent production. But all as a slot guy and the value of those players sure seem to hinge a lot on the system.

Or perhaps it's a "vice-versa" situation?

I'm a fan.
I don't think Godwin is a bad comp here. 

I like Jefferson a lot, and the combine has only solidified his really strong profile. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Media's Lance Zierlein writes LSU WR Justin Jefferson is a "quarterback's best friend."

Jefferson (6'1/202) turned heads at the NFL Combine just a few weeks ago by running a 4.44 second 40-yard dash. Speed was not why Jefferson was a top prospect previously, though. As Zierlein hits on, Jefferson has fantastic hands and serves well as a safety blanket in the underneath area due to his ability to get open there. In particular, Zierlein notes Jefferson's "jab step gives separation from route stem more life," making it easier for him to pull away after he has snapped off his route. Jefferson grades out as a player who should be able to start within his first two seasons. 

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 12, 2020, 5:39 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Brad Kelly floats LSU WR Justin Jefferson as a logical first-round pick for the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings shipped Stefon Diggs to the Buffalo Bills earlier this week. They have draft ammo for a replacement, now holding pick Nos. 22 and 25 in the first round. Kelly writes of the Jefferson possibility that "[t]hroughout his career, Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins has paired best with wide receivers who can separate from coverage with their route running." He sees Jefferson as a logical option who would fit with Cousins' tendencies. Beyond Jefferson -- say, if the Vikes opt to use their first-round picks at positions other than wideout -- Kelly ticks off KJ Hamler, Van Jefferson and K.J. Hill as possible Day 2 targets for Minnesota.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 21, 2020, 12:59 PM ET

Sometimes players making each other look good and perform well is a two way street.
There's probably a good reason why he isn't listed in the same tier as Lamb and Jeudy, or even Ja'Marr Chase if he were in this year's draft.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo expects LSU WR Justin Jefferson to come off the board between the 15th and 25th picks. 

As Garafolo notes, Jefferson has been popularly mocked to the Eagles at No. 21, a notion he does not shoot down. Garafolo does have doubts that Jefferson makes it that far, especially since the Eagles' interest seems to be more than just a mock draft connection. Garafolo's colleague James Palmer reports the Broncos have "done a good amount of work" on Jefferson at No. 15. Absurdly productive in the SEC, 21-year-old Jefferson had a strong Combine and is a near certain bet to hear his name called on Day 1. 

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Apr 16, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Justin Jefferson managed to secure 92% of his contested catch opportunities. 

Jefferson (6'1/202) reeled in an amazing 82.8 percent of his targets last season and is considered to have one of the best set of hands in the draft. He is a more than just a safety valve underneath option though, as his 4.44 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine will attest. Jefferson is also an advanced route-runner who was one of only three wide receivers to average more than 12 yards per target in single coverage last season. The ultra-talented LSU product is on track to be a late Day 1, early Day 2 selection. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 17, 2020, 1:27 PM ET

very underrated. While guys are taking Ruggs and Higgins you can wait back and snag this guy, who may end up as the best wr from the class.

Not my #1, but close. 

I’m hoping to get him around mid first, but I wonder if he’ll climb up the board if he goes somewhere like Philadelphia. He’s right behind Lamb/Jeudy for me. 

I’ll find it hard to pick between him Raegor and Mims if it comes down to it. They are each different with different strengths, but I have them all ranked very closely together right now just behind Lamb and Jeudy 

I’ll find it hard to pick between him Raegor and Mims if it comes down to it. They are each different with different strengths, but I have them all ranked very closely together right now just behind Lamb and Jeudy 
same. the elite route skills are a tiebreaker in jefferson's favor for me. i think that is a huge indicator of success. but i like all three of them.

2020 NFL Draft: Which prospect is everyone wrong about -- for better or worse?

Excerpt:

James Jones

Writer | NFL.com 

LSU's Jefferson might be the best receiver in this class

Although some draft experts have LSU wide receiver Justin Jefferson slotted late in the first round, he's often the fourth or even fifth wideout off the board. That's nonsense! He is the third-best player at his position right now -- behind Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb -- but there's a very good chance he could have the biggest impact on a team from this entire WR class.

Vikings selected LSU WR Justin Jefferson with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

A two-year starting slot receiver at LSU, Jefferson (6’1/202) set the school record for receptions (111) as a junior in the most prolific passing offense in college football history. He wins with nuanced route running, steady hands, straightline speed (4.41), and 6.4 YAC per reception. Per Pro Football Focus, Jefferson accumulated 41 percent of his 2019 yardage (1,540) from ins, outs, and crosses, which are fortunately the routes he’ll likely see most often with the Vikings. He also ranked second to Jerry Jeudy in 15-plus yard catches the past two seasons. Jefferson can be a reliable target in any role as a rookie since he ran 19 percent of his routes from the slot in '18 before seeing an increase to 78 percent during the team's National Championship run. He's a high-floor, high-ceiling WR3/4 in Minnesota since the opportunity is ripe for an every-down role across from Adam Thielen. The Vikings will still utilize a heavy dose of 12 personnel featuring Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith, too.

Apr 23, 2020, 10:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread