What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible Watershed Moment for Trump? (1 Viewer)

If Trump downplays the virus and it turns bad, would it be his downfall in this election?

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
He's got a press conference in about 4 hours. Reports indicate he is furious about the market slide this week due to Covid 19, which isn't really shocking. I anticipate he contradicts the CDC and WHO and tries to sooth markets and downplay this virus. To me this extremely dangerous, not only to markets and buyers (who risk a rug pull), but more so for the general safety of the public. 

If he does try to jawbone markets and contradict health officials (and I'd bet dollar to donuts he does) and this turns into a pandemic, is he done? 

My opinion is yes, he would be done. I'll stay home for all as of now except either Bloomberg or Mayor Pete, but if he does jawbone markets with false nonsense, and this turns bad, I'll pull lever for anyone he faces.

What I think would be the smart play is to just own it; it isn't his fault and nobody would hold his administration responsible for a market selloff surrounding a possible pandemic originating in China... I just don't think he takes the smart play here. 

I genuinely do think about the only thing he could do to lose the support of 35% of the country is abort a baby he has with his black mistress.*

But yeah it’s weird he’s denying something that isn’t at all his fault. And it’s easy and understandable for him to just say, “we are addressing the issue as best as we can and I trust the people on it etc.” 

* I’m not aware that this scenario is possible and I have no information that he has a mistress or intends to abort a child. I do genuinely think that a scenario like this is about the only way he sees a significant drop in support for his base. 

No shtick. He could come out and say it was started in a lab by Obama and still win 30 states or so.

I disagree with you in that I think the speech will be boilerplate stuff - we are addressing the issue, remain calm, billions will be spent, top people in charge, etc.

No shtick. He could come out and say it was started in a lab by Obama and still win 30 states or so.

I disagree with you in that I think the speech will be boilerplate stuff - we are addressing the issue, remain calm, billions will be spent, top people in charge, etc.
I'm excited to hear what he has to say. This is starting to get bad and it needs to be owned, if it is downplayed and turns bad, I can't fathom someone voting for the guy. 

If it is downplayed and nothing comes of it, I think he has 2020 locked up. Simply put, if he doesn't own it, he creates much more risk for his 2020 campaign, imo. 

I don't wish a Bush Katrina or Obama BP moment on any President. This is the politics part of it I hate. Hopefully he sticks to a script here and plays it right. Given that and that hopefully is what he does, my support to the President here and tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wish a Bush Ktrina or Obama BP moment on any President. This is the politics part of it I hate. hopefully he sticks to a script here and plays it right. Given that and that hopefully is what he does, my support to the President here and tonight.
The issue I see here is that by owning it, it creates a lot of risk in the market... I can't see him doing that, but we'll find out in a few hours. 

The coronavirus could play strongly in Trump's favor if he got out in front of it and made it a public health priority for the government in a high-profile way.  This sort of thing subliminally plays on xenophobia and anti-Chinese animosity in particular, normalizes things like travel bans, closed borders, and immigration restrictions, and generally sets a positive narrative for the kind of authoritarianism that Trump represents.

But to nobody's surprise, Trump's in the process of handling it in as counter-productive a manner as humanly possible.

fantasycurse42 said:

What I think would be the smart play is to just own it; it isn't his fault and nobody would hold his administration responsible for a market selloff surrounding a possible pandemic originating in China... I just don't think he takes the smart play here.

Trump's personality will not allow him to "own it." He has a deep, deep, deep-seated need to assign blame. Always.

I'm not sure how much it will turn off.  If he downplays and it turns out worse than anticipated (or he says), he will flip to blaming the CDC officials (Trump has a "the buck never stops here" approach), and his supporters will go along with it.  The sick radio host whose name cannot be named is already singling out Rod Rosenstein's sister.

They will just go from "the CDC is overselling it!!!" to "the CDC was too incompetent to contain it!!!" (or "the CDC did not want Trump to win, so they let it get out of control!!") in the blink of an eye.

I don't quite get why its effect on the market is the first concern the media always wants us to have about this virus. 

Oh, re: Donald. This is a great opportunity indeed to rise to an occasion. So far he hasn't shown us any indication that he has this ability, however.

Trump will downplay it. All he cares about is the markets and there’s not enough people left to stop him. He’s going to lie about the risk because he thinks it will help the market rebound but all it will do is scare the market even more that the US will be completely unprepared. I hope that he does the right thing but I think he’s gonna double down on downplaying by resisting all requests for more funding. If he loses the great economy, he’ll get hammered in the general that he only improved the lives of the rich and it will be effective.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
I don't quite get why its effect on the market is the first concern the media always wants us to have about this virus. 
His narrative is the stock market and your 401k... My first concern as an NYC resident is being prepared (this is what I'm hoping to hear, but after he already sent Kudlow out twice to sooth markets, I'm skeptical this is what I'm going to hear tonight).

Oh, re: Donald. This is a great opportunity indeed to rise to an occasion. So far he hasn't shown us any indication that he has this ability, however.
The media is just reflecting the concern of Trump. Any other president would take the losses in the market in exchange for properly planning and preventing an outbreak. I don’t think we’ve seen any indication that Trump would do the same. Hopefully he proves us wrong today.

Just as Limbaugh hasn't lost listeners despite his decades of similar takes, Trump won't lose any supporters over this.  It help that they share the same audience.

Well he tweeted about "panicking markets" and having a news conference to address the issue.

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &

@CNN

are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

@CDCgov

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!

8:03 AM · Feb 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Retweets

I'm excited to hear what he has to say. This is starting to get bad and it needs to be owned, if it is downplayed and turns bad, I can't fathom someone voting for the guy. 

If it is downplayed and nothing comes of it, I think he has 2020 locked up. Simply put, if he doesn't own it, he creates much more risk for his 2020 campaign, imo. 
We’ll see how the virus plays out. I’m still on the side that it’s not a huge concern but haven’t paid close attention and travel a lot so maybe I’m just in denial.

Don’t even want to consider worst case scenarios with this thing. If it were to blow up into some disaster I’d like to think we’d have a come together moment.

I’d still vote for anyone else and I think there’s probably 30% that would vote for him no matter what. 

Well he tweeted about "panicking markets" and having a news conference to address the issue.

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &

@CNN

are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

@CDCgov

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!

8:03 AM · Feb 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Retweets
This is why I started this thread. I mean, this could be turning into a very serious situation for everyone. His response was baffling to me to have anything to do with markets. I'm worried much more about the health of my family than my ####### 401k and portfolio. The fact that his economic advisor has come out multiple times telling people to buy the dip is truly insanity!

This is why I started this thread. I mean, this could be turning into a very serious situation for everyone. His response was baffling to me to have anything to do with markets. I'm worried much more about the health of my family than my ####### 401k and portfolio. The fact that his economic advisor has come out multiple times telling people to buy the dip is truly insanity!
This state of the stock market should not even be brought up in his new conference. This should be strictly about the readiness of America to face the challenge and reassure everyone that the best people (not the most loyal) are working to ensure our safety.

The problem with having a narcissist as POTUS is he actually doesn't care about anyone but himself.

The markets are tied to his re-election chances, he knows this. So that's his focus.

I've yet to see Trump make a single decision that wasn't entirely based on self-preservation.

Literally all Trump has to do is get out of the way, let the experts do their jobs, and claim credit for doing so.  It's the easiest thing in the world, and he's going to screw it up.
yep.  but on the off chance he doesn’t, I’ll absolutely give him credit.

Literally all Trump has to do is get out of the way, let the experts do their jobs, and claim credit for doing so.  It's the easiest thing in the world, and he's going to screw it up.
Exactly. However he’s not dumb enough to screw this up.

At worst I think he’ll have a line put in there that is trolling, Congress needs to stop wasting time (the Dems) because he just can’t help himself but I honestly don’t see how anyone can screw this speech up.

Not downplaying how hard this situation can potentially be to handle just speaking to this speech. It should be a speech that these pros love to write.

I don’t think it will affect the election, but not because of any of the arguments made here. I just think it’s too soon. Unless this situation is still a crisis in November (let’s all hope not) it will be forgotten.. Nobody remembers anything these days. 

Not only would it be the right thing to do, it would also likely give him the results he wants - stabilizing of the markets.

I think he could quack like a duck at this press conference and not lose an appreciable number of votes.

I'll stay home for all as of now except either Bloomberg or Mayor Pete, but if he does jawbone markets with false nonsense, and this turns bad, I'll pull lever for anyone he faces.
Whether it's this time or 2 years from now, he's going to blow stuff up if in office. You should probably hold your nose and go with plan B regardless of how he navigates this particular issue. If whoever it is you didn't really want is still odious to you in 4 years you can vote them the #### out then, while minimizing the damage we're all subjected to over the next 4 years. Because none of them will be nearly as bad for this country in the short or long term asTrump and his associates.

It's gonna drive him nuts not to be able to say this is the biggest, baddest virus, probably, many people are saying, in history.
Since apparently 150 million Americans have been shot to death (  :rolleyes:  ), it'll be hard to make a big deal out of a virus.

Whether it's this time or 2 years from now, he's going to blow stuff up if in office. You should probably hold your nose and go with plan B regardless of how he navigates this particular issue. If whoever it is you didn't really want is still odious to you in 4 years you can vote them the #### out then, while minimizing the damage we're all subjected to over the next 4 years. Because none of them will be nearly as bad for this country in the short or long term asTrump and his associates.
I'm of the opinion that he has 2020 all but locked up... All he has to do is not make any major ####ups (basically do nothing) from now until November. I kinda feel if he misplays this, and it turns out bad, this is the biggest risk to his reelection. 

I think President Trump will handle this somewhat admirably. Look to the SOTU for the example, where he didn't take the "victory lap" that many thought he would.

I think President Trump will handle this somewhat admirably. Look to the SOTU for the example, where he didn't take the "victory lap" that many thought he would.
If he reads the paper they give him he'll be fine. If he answers questions BOOM goes the dynamite. 

Schumer's got to be stewing that Trump said, ok Chuck, you want to allocate more to this fight, we'll take it. He of course was hoping Trump would say no thanks Chuck.

Users who are viewing this thread