What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn - TB (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread for him yet and many have him in their top 10 rookie list. At the combine:

5'9" (and 5/8"), 214 lbs. Rotoworld had him at 5'10" 218. Born 5/4/1997. Will be just short of 23 at the draft.

Didn't play at the Senior Bowl because of an undisclosed injury but is participating at the combine. Ran for 1028 yards on 198 attempts in 2019 for a 5.2 YPC and 9 TDs, to go along with 29 receptions for 286 yds and 1 TD. That is considered by many to be a major stepdown from 2018 where he ran for 1244 on only 157 carries for 7.9 YPC and 12 TDs, along with 13 receptions and 2 more TDs.

I admittedly don't follow college ball closely and rely on experts such as can be found on this board for much of my information, but I thought I'd start a thread on this guy and see if others can weigh in on his strengths/weaknesses, etc. I have heard people say that the Vanderbilt offense was terrible, which for me is a positive for this guy in terms of maybe flying below the radar a bit. Assuming he goes in the middle rounds of the NFL draft, maybe an early to mid 2nd rounder in rookie drafts for dynasty?

Mostly I just want to be able to control the thread name!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Vanderbilt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn has accepted the invitation to play in the 2020 Reese's Senior Bowl.

Vaughn (5'10/218) has been one of the few bright spots for the lowly Commodores, rushing 151 times for 790 yards, 5.2 YPC and 6 touchdowns through eight games. Points have been hard to come by for Vanderbilt, as they have only averaged 17 PPG and 317 YPG on the year. The loss of 2018 QB Kyle Shurmur has taken it's toll, as Ball State transfer Riley Neal has not been able to replicate the departed Shurmur's success. Vandy travels to Gainesville to take on the Gators this Saturday.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Nov 5, 2019, 6:35 PM ET

Vanderbilt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn averaged 5.76 yards after contact per carry against Northern Illinois in Week 5, per Pro Football Focus.

Vaughn (5'10/218) has been a bit quieter this year than many hoped, but his performance against Northern Illinois was stunning. He averaged 8.1 yards per carry, with almost six of those yards (on average) coming after contact. Though he is not a bruiser the likes of Leonard Fournette, Vaughn shows plenty of balance through contact and wonderful acceleration to separate after breaking a tackle. Vaughn will get another chance to pop off against Ole Miss this Saturday.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Oct 3, 2019, 12:01 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes that Vanderbilt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn must improve his timing.

Brugler also notes that Vaughn (5'10/218) needs to be better at anticipating lanes, which is a similiar -- if not exact same -- problem. The analyst also mentions that Vaughn can run through contact, and his physique and power -- and we'll mention that he's certainly not slow -- have put him on scouts radars. It's been a slow start to the season, but expect Vaughn to turn things around as the season progresses.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 20, 2019, 7:07 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that Vanderbilt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn "has looked timid on tape and not quite as dynamic when making decisions on the go (as he did in 2018)."

"Vaughn's life won't get any easier as the Commodores enter conference play, but to regain his status as the top senior back, he has to get back on track with more of the three-down playmaking seen in 2018," Miller writes of the 5-foot-10, 218-pounder. Through two games this season, Vaughn has managed just 130 rushing yards (4.1 YPC) and one touchdown on 32 totes of the rock. He went off for 1,244 yards on the ground while averaging 7.1 YPC last season. He has a toughie on deck this weekend against LSU.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Sep 20, 2019, 12:49 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn is the best senior running back in 2019.

If Vaughn isn't the best, he's close to it. Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy mentions Utah RB Zach Moss as in the running, too, but Moss has more injury red flags than Vaughn. Both Vaughn and Moss have a Day 2 ceiling if they can show well this season and post respectable numbers at the Combine. Vaughn is expected to have a big workload thanks to his size (5'10/218) and toughness.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Aug 28, 2019, 10:28 AM ET

Vanderbilt redshirt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn was given a third round draft grade by Pro Football Network draft analyst Tony Pauline.

"He possesses outstanding vision, the ability to make defenders miss in a short area and the toughness to pick up difficult yardage," Pauline wrote in his analysis of Vaughn (5'10/218), who he believes can share carries at the NFL level. Last season the redshirt senior averaged nearly eight yards per carry, rushing for 1,244 yards and 12 touchdowns. A similar campaign could push him higher on draft boards, possibly the latter stages of Day 1.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Aug 22, 2019, 12:47 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Vanderbilt redshirt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn averaged 5.28 yards after contact per attempt.

Vaughn (5'10/205) had a special 2018 season with 1,244 rushing yards (7.9 yards per carry) and 12 touchdowns. He also forced 40 missed tackles and recorded 32 runs of 10 or more yards. Vaughn could have been the top running back in the 2019 draft class but decided to return for one final year of college eligibility. If he can turn in another productive season Vaughn will likely be a fringe Day 1 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Jun 15, 2019, 12:57 PM ET

CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso writes that had Vanderbilt redshirt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn declared over the winter, he might have been the analyst's No. 1 RB in the 2019 class.

"His film showcased the best blend of size, agility, vision, contact balance, and acceleration of any draft-eligible runner," Trapasso writes of the 5-foot-10, 205-pound Vaughn. The redshirt senior is coming off a sharp 2018 season in which he rushed for 1,244 yards (7.9 YPC) and 12 touchdowns. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tagged Vaughn as the biggest sleeper at the position when he released his early rankings for 2020, while ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks the Vandy standout as his No. 1 senior back for the spring. For his part, Trapasso believes that a first-round selection is not out of the question. Travis Etienne, Jonathan Taylor and D'Andre Swift are going to draw many of the draft headlines among running backs over the coming months, but keep an eye on Vaughn.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

May 30, 2019, 9:43 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Vanderbilt redshirt senior Ke'Shawn Vaughn as the top senior running back in the 2020 draft class.

Most of the attention for this running back class is going to the underclassmen -- and for good reasons, there's potential stars like Jonathan Taylor of Wisconsin and Travis Etienne of Clemson, just to name a few. That being said, Vaughn was extremely productive last year with 1,244 yards, 12 touchdowns and a 7.9 YPC mark. He won't get the hype of Taylor or Etienne -- or even D'Andre Swift of Georgia -- but with a strong senior campaign, he has a real chance of coming off the board in the first 64 selections.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 17, 2019, 7:45 PM ET

In his too-early 2020 big board, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tabbed Vanderbilt redshirt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn as the biggest sleeper prospect at the position.

In his positional rankings, Vaughn slots in as Miller's No. 7 draft-eligible back for 2020. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound redshirt senior was tops in the SEC in terms of yards after contact this past season. On the whole, he ripped off 1,244 yards (7.9 YPC) while scoring 12 touchdowns. He is one of a number of intriguing running back prospects in the 2020 crop behind the obvious top-tier guys like Travis Etienne, Jonathan Taylor and D'Andre Swift.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 9, 2019, 8:37 PM ET

Vanderbilt redshirt senior Ke'Shawn Vaughn is third in forced missed tackles per touch among returning SEC running backs.

Vaughn (5'10/205) led the SEC in yards after contact in 2018, so he's one of the top 2020 NFL Draft running back prospects. The only two running backs ahead of Vaughn on a per touch basis are Alabama's Najee Harris and Mississippi State's Kylin Hill, both runners with an NFL future.

May 4, 2019, 7:18 PM ET

Pro Football Focus notes that Vanderbilt redshirt senior RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn led the SEC in yards after contact in 2018.

Boy did he ever. No other running back was within a yard if Vaughn's 5.29 yards after contact, with Elijah Holyfield coming in second at 4.09 yards. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound tailback was a star for the Commodores in 2018; rushing for 1,244 yards on just 157 carries. He should once again be among the best -- maybe even the top -- tailbacks in the conference in 2019.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:17 PM ET

Rotoworld:

Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Vaughn (5'10/214) showing off solid wheels, here. Straight-line burst, he can do, but he is decidedly a one-cut runner rather than a shaker/baker. The Vanderbilt back isn't without his appeal, though, as he very much knows his lane and doesn't try to operate outside of it. If your team drafts Vaughn on Day 3 upcoming, you know what you're getting.

SOURCE: Ke'Shawn Vaughn on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 9:25 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn to Green Bay Packers RB Jamaal Williams.

Vaughn (5'10/214) was a bit of a disappointment in his 2019 season -- albeit only because expectations were so high -- but a lot of that blame can be based on the talent around him being, well, untalented. "Vaughn is a tight-hipped runner who has issues with stop-start quickness and is unable to stack moves on top of moves," writes Zierlein. "He's not hard to find, but can be hard to tackle." He may not have the upside of some of the other tailbacks in this class, Vaughn could be a steal on Day 3; assuming he plays in an offense that suits his play-style.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 8, 2020, 6:49 PM ET

Bucs!!!!   

Wow I have to admit I was really surprised they didn't take a back earlier. 

Still wouldn't be surprised if they bring in another couple decent rookies and maybe a vet like Freeman. Still, Tampa is widely considered a great landing spot. Does this put him in the first round of rookie drafts? If not for you, in your drafts do you think he will go there?

He is officially the guy we all have to do a lot more research on...if they don’t add another RB via trade then he is a guy you need to take a real long at because he definitely has a path to being very fantasy relevant.

Great landing spot but I wasn’t impressed with him and I never really liked Jones.

I’m thinking maybe the Bucs try and fit Devonte Freeman in with a bargain deal.

Dolphins selected Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn with the No. 76 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

An Illinois transfer, Vaughn (5’10/214) posted back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons as Vanderbilt’s starter over the past two seasons. His 1,244 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns in 2018 put him on the NFL map, but his 2019 rushing production was constricted by the Commodore’s 125th ranked offense. On tape, Vaughn makes defenders miss while running downhill, showcasing nice vision with just enough wiggle to set up broken tackles as a physical runner. He set a new career-high with 28 receptions as a redshirt senior and is good enough to play on passing downs, though he profiles best as a complementary runner in the NFL. Vaughn’s primary knocks are his age — he’ll be a 23-year-old rookie — and 41st percentile adjusted SPARQ athleticism. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds. With only Ronald Jones between him and touches, Vaughn has found an excellent first-year landing spot. 

Apr 24, 2020, 10:17 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Still a 2nd round rookie pick at best in fantasy.  Was a 3rd rd pick, but I'll bump him a little bit because of landing spot.

Still a 2nd round rookie pick at best in fantasy.  Was a 3rd rd pick, but I'll bump him a little bit because of landing spot.
I really, really want to say there is no chance he makes it out of the 2nd. And I think the odds are pretty strong on that, but yeah this draft is deep. The 2nd is going to have some really good WRs, maybe 2 QBs/TEs, and in my leagues the FAs start getting drafted there. But I have to think that RB scarcity will win the day and that someone takes this guy earlier. I don't have an issue with someone ranking him lower, but my guess is he doesn't get out of the 2nd. And he will go in the 1st in probably more leagues than we want to admit today.

I really, really want to say there is no chance he makes it out of the 2nd. And I think the odds are pretty strong on that, but yeah this draft is deep. The 2nd is going to have some really good WRs, maybe 2 QBs/TEs, and in my leagues the FAs start getting drafted there. But I have to think that RB scarcity will win the day and that someone takes this guy earlier. I don't have an issue with someone ranking him lower, but my guess is he doesn't get out of the 2nd. And he will go in the 1st in probably more leagues than we want to admit today.
Yeah I don’t think there’s anyway he makes it out of second rounds. He has the size to potentially be a three down back, and coming into a good situation with not the greatest of RBs in front of him. RB scarcity is key as well, my RB needy dynasty team I’ll probably grab him at 2.07 if he’s there ( unless a real real nice WR falls )  and that’s with me most likely taking an RB at 1.07 as well. 

He was listed as a mid-to-late first before landing in Tampa, never mind now. No way he makes it out of the second, and it might be me that grabs him, but that's all based on location. Totally uninspiring as a runner.

Brady is going to love this guy.
I don"t get the landing spot, from what I heard he is not much in pass pro. I think D. Freeman to Tampa is a great fit, no way they go with a rookie and RoJo as the protection for TB in TB.

He's really good in pass protection, which is at least part of the reason they drafted him

I don"t get the landing spot, from what I heard he is not much in pass pro. I think D. Freeman to Tampa is a great fit, no way they go with a rookie and RoJo as the protection for TB in TB.
Ok that's one tick mark for being good at pass pro and one for being bad. But no links or quotes from sources. People that have watched him can chime in for sure. I have to assume that pass pro was a major part of any RB they took, but I have no idea.

Of course I also think bringing in a vet is a likelihood.

Ok that's one tick mark for being good at pass pro and one for being bad. But no links or quotes from sources. People that have watched him can chime in for sure. I have to assume that pass pro was a major part of any RB they took, but I have no idea.

Of course I also think bringing in a vet is a likelihood.
My comment was from what I heard on SiriusXM.

Here are a couple of scouting reports:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/keshawn-vaughn/l60u8h9yGy

Pass Protection - "The results are not. He's lacking in the pop and lower body power to maintain interior pocket integrity versus free runners and is typically worth a good thud but won't have success sustaining his hands or sliding and mirroring to extend resistance".

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/2020-nfl-draft-keshawn-vaughn-scouting-report/

"He will likely be a liability on passing downs due to his inability to be a sufficient blocker for the quarterback. This is a learned trait that he can work with. Teams will need to focus on his development in order to make him more than just a two down back at the NFL level".

Cat will be out of the bag once real rookie drafts start up.  After the big 5 RB's and top 3 WR's he's in play.  
Yes. RBs always get inflated in rookie drafts and sneak into the late first. Sometimes it pays off like Kamara and Hunt and sometimes you get a Perine.

This player is causing me to waver back and forth right now. Most rankings seem to have him around 16-17th overall. 

I’m at the 1.07 today, one RB short of being a massive title challenger and I’m a Ronald Jones owner. If those 5 RBs go in the top 6 there is a part me tempted to take him at 1.07, but it doesn’t feel quite right and seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. 

Matt Kelley said he’d take him at 1.07, unless Lamb was there, but yeah, that seems to be a lone voice right now. 

This player is causing me to waver back and forth right now. Most rankings seem to have him around 16-17th overall. 

I’m at the 1.07 today, one RB short of being a massive title challenger and I’m a Ronald Jones owner. If those 5 RBs go in the top 6 there is a part me tempted to take him at 1.07, but it doesn’t feel quite right and seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. 

Matt Kelley said he’d take him at 1.07, unless Lamb was there, but yeah, that seems to be a lone voice right now. 
In your situation without seeing your roster I’d probably do it, but maybe not in general.  Can’t really trade back too far without risk of losing him, all it takes is one guy to like the situation, and it’s not hard for even uninformed ffl players to go “Brady in Tampa” and want the new rb there. Hard to pass up wrs that will be there but probably a good chance one of the other rbs falls to you. Or you take bpa and find a way to move up from rd 2, or take bpa with the notion that you can trade them for Vaughn+, ie if lamb falls to you maybe you can trade lamb for Vaughn/2021 1st or something, which may not be a trade you would make today (say 2.02/2021 1st for 1.07, no thanks) but when you attach the player to the pick it makes sense for you and likely whoever drafted him, and you’d get more than if you took him at 1.07. Just spitballin here....

In your situation without seeing your roster I’d probably do it, but maybe not in general.  Can’t really trade back too far without risk of losing him, all it takes is one guy to like the situation, and it’s not hard for even uninformed ffl players to go “Brady in Tampa” and want the new rb there. Hard to pass up wrs that will be there but probably a good chance one of the other rbs falls to you. Or you take bpa and find a way to move up from rd 2, or take bpa with the notion that you can trade them for Vaughn+, ie if lamb falls to you maybe you can trade lamb for Vaughn/2021 1st or something, which may not be a trade you would make today (say 2.02/2021 1st for 1.07, no thanks) but when you attach the player to the pick it makes sense for you and likely whoever drafted him, and you’d get more than if you took him at 1.07. Just spitballin here....
Thanks man, much appreciated, I’m looking at several options in the event the top 5 RBs go..

RBs - Elliot, Jacobs, R Jones, Jamaal Williams and some other crap  

WRs - Cooper, Kupp, Thielen, Chark, Unicorn, Perriman, Desean, Sims, Stills, Isabella And some other projects 

so my squad right now has an imbalance. Was second top scorer and had 2nd best record until injuries derailed season and went out of first round of playoffs 

im exploring trading down to 1.10 when on the clock and would probably offer my 3.07 for 2.04 in order to do so. Guy has 1.04, 1.10, 2.01, 2.04 so he has capital and is an Eagles fan/Raegor fan. So that option might be there. 

Failing that I’ll most likely just take best WR available and try make a big trade for a top RB closer to season. 

I won’t derail the thread any further, thank you for your thoughts ! 

I won't draft Vaughn while wide receivers picked in the top 50 are on the board, but I get why someone would once into the round 2 WR prospects. But I think considering him in round one is a mistake. If you miss out on him by waiting, oh well.

I agree with @ILUVBEER99.  I think his ADP is going to rise considerably as we get into real drafts and further into the offseason.  The reality is that people draft differently than they rank/mock when its their team on the line and when people are staring down the barrel of a RB need (which in reality almost every team has right now) and a guy like Vaughn in a good situation with a real chance to win a big role they will pull the trigger.

He's a 3-down type player that was drafted early in the 3rd round to a great offense and a coach that likes to use a lead RB in a big way (along with a QB that likes throwing to the RB).  That's basically the exact same scenario (or even better) as guys like David Montgomery, Darrell Henderson, and Royce Freeman who all settled in around the mid-1st round range (early 1st in Montgomery's case).  I don't fully expect Vaughn to move quite that high but I think he will land squarely in the 1st round when all is said and done.

MAC_32 said:
I won't draft Vaughn while wide receivers picked in the top 50 are on the board, but I get why someone would once into the round 2 WR prospects. But I think considering him in round one is a mistake. If you miss out on him by waiting, oh well.
I don’t see him falling past contenders in the late first. If I just was in the championship game and hold 1.11 or 1.12, Vaughn is the perfect add. 

He's a 3-down type player that was drafted early in the 3rd round to a great offense and a coach that likes to use a lead RB in a big way (along with a QB that likes throwing to the RB).  That's basically the exact same scenario (or even better) as guys like David Montgomery, Darrell Henderson, and Royce Freeman who all settled in around the mid-1st round range (early 1st in Montgomery's case).
Montgomery wasn't drafted into a great offense and his PPR ceiling was always an issue with Cohen on the roster.

Henderson was not drafted into an idea situation no matter how many times people wished that he was.

Freeman landed in a good offense?  The offense was horrific and he was the wrong fit for their blocking scheme.

Being the more versatile RB in an offense with Brady, Arians, and WR's that will keep defenders out of the box is  far from any of those landing spots of those RB's.

Users who are viewing this thread