What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (2 Viewers)

grateful zed

Footballguy
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872591-qb-jordan-love-is-the-boom-or-bust-wild-card-of-the-2020-nfl-draft

MOBILE, Ala. — Jordan Love's favorite NFL quarterback is Patrick Mahomes. And like most of the football world, Love was awe-struck by Mahomes' 27-yard touchdown run and four-touchdown performance against the Titans in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday.

"It was magic," Love told reporters on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl. "He's just out there making magic happen."

Love made a little magic happen himself as Utah State's starting quarterback over the last two-and-a-half seasons. But surely Love, who is beginning his journey to the NFL draft by participating in Senior Bowl practices this week, wants to avoid any unrealistic expectations by throwing ice water on any comparisons to the Chiefs superstar. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love is a rorschach test for QB's similar to what Josh Allen and Daniel Jones have been the last 2 years. Like them, I fully anticipate some team to fall in love with him, and like them, I think he has no business as a top-10 pick. 

Of course, I think the Bills have very much won in spite of Josh Allen, and wasn't impressed one bit by Jones, so maybe I value different things from QB's than others. 

In his latest mock draft, The Athletic's Dane Brugler pegged Utah State QB Jordan Love to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the No. 14 pick.

"If Jameis Winston returns to Tampa, it is expected to be a short-term deal, opening the door for the Buccaneers to draft and develop a talent like Love," Brugler writes. At this juncture, the toolsy 6-foot-4, 224-pound signal-caller looks like he has a decent shot at the first round, as there has been a consistent positive narrative building around him for the past two months. Narrative and tangible actuality are different things, of course, but the former can be powerful in its own right, to the point where it impacts the latter. And that certainly feels like it might be happening, here.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 4, 2020, 4:53 PM ET

He will likely be the 4th QB off the board. When that pick will be taken is up for debate but it seems like he is a lock anywhere in the back half of the 1st round with potential to move higher. 

Hype keeps rising.  Daniel Jeremiah said there is no consensus in the league, some have Love as the number 2 or 3 QB off the board ahead of Tua and Herbert. 

He's going to get first round draft capital and push more prospects down in SF leagues. 

His draft writeup has shades of Lamar Jackson to it.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lamar-jackson?id=32194a41-4332-3395-efb0-6c7b75de50af

As far as the turnovers go...Matt Ryan threw 19 his final college season. It's a concern, but not a fatal flaw.
Love looked fantastic in 2018, I'm not sure what they lost (Darwin Thompson?) But the team just wasn't good in 19. It's always tough to evaluate these guys on weak teams (although great teams pose their own challenges). 

Ryan gets a bit of a pass on this 19 interceptions as he threw 654 times. (I had to look up the number but I do remember it being a lot)

-OZ- said:
Love looked fantastic in 2018, I'm not sure what they lost (Darwin Thompson?) But the team just wasn't good in 19. It's always tough to evaluate these guys on weak teams (although great teams pose their own challenges). 

Ryan gets a bit of a pass on this 19 interceptions as he threw 654 times. (I had to look up the number but I do remember it being a lot)
There was offensive line turnover and a new coaching staff.

To me he's malhomes lite or plus Mariota, why would you not want that?
He's not as accurate as I would like and holds on to the ball too long in the pocket and his decision making is suspect.  Plus, wasn't there an off-the-field issue in 2019?

He's not as accurate as I would like and holds on to the ball too long in the pocket and his decision making is suspect.  Plus, wasn't there an off-the-field issue in 2019?
Based on how he's handled the interviews I feel like he's the kind of player who will really take to coaching and the Colts have good coaches.  I will add that despite the consern for his accuracy some of his highlights were pure dimes.  It's something you still can't say about a guy like Josh Allen.

As for off the field issues, I haven't heard of them, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.  Maybe someone who follows the team would know.

Based on how he's handled the interviews I feel like he's the kind of player who will really take to coaching and the Colts have good coaches.  I will add that despite the consern for his accuracy some of his highlights were pure dimes.  It's something you still can't say about a guy like Josh Allen.

As for off the field issues, I haven't heard of them, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.  Maybe someone who follows the team would know.
Complete non issue.  Busted for something that is legal anywhere with a clue. 

Dolphins hosted Utah State QB Jordan Love for a visit.

Love will be in contact with just about every NFL team looking for a quarterback this offseason, but it's notable that the Dolphins rushed him in for a visit before the league further implements precaution surrounding the coronavirus. Teams will have to adjust their pre-draft visits, which could mean far fewer in-person meetings with prospects. Love is projected to be a Day 1 selection and Miami has three first round picks, so it's no surprise to see the two linked.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports

Mar 13, 2020, 3:31 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Utah State QB Jordan Love to Los Angeles Rams backup QB Blake Bortles.

Love (6'4/224) is a big ball of potential without enough substance to suggest he will reach it anytime soon. Zierlein writes Love is a "confident passer attacking between the hashes" and has the "arm strength to dime it into windows," but the consistency in execution is not there. With issues in "staring and telegraphing" his reads and below-average decision making against zone coverages, Love has a ways to go from a processing standpoint before he can match some of the other top quarterbacks in the class.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 19, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper had the New England Patriots selecting Utah State QB Jordan Love with the 23rd pick in the first round in his latest mock draft.

This prediction follows PFN's Brad Kelly stating the Patriots should select Love if he's available. Having only Jarrett Stidham, Brian Hoyer and Cody Kessler in their QB room, it's all but a lock that the Patriots will be selecting a developmental QB at some point. Love was masterful in 2018 but struggled after HC Matt Wells and OC David Yost left for Texas Tech and Love had to adjust to a new system when current HC Gary Anderson took over. Love and Oregon QB Justin Herbert had been in contention for the QB3 spot, but it appears Love is now battling Jacob Eason to be the fourth quarterback selected in the upcoming NFL Draft. It's hard to argue with the logic behind this theory, but you never know with the Patriots.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 24, 2020, 1:12 PM ET

Why Patriots might have to ignore Mel Kiper Jr.'s mock draft advice

Reese's Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said that Utah State QB Jordan Love possesses the "highest ceiling of any quarterback in this draft."

"I equate him to Patrick Mahomes in the sense that they both have playmaking ability and really natural arm talent," said Nagy, before later adding that "[i[f this clicks for Jordan and he ends up in a good situation like Pat did in Kansas City, it could look crazy if he ends up outside the top 10." Nagy had a chance to see Love in action up close at the Reese's Senior Bowl earlier in the evaluation process. In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper pegged the signal-callers to the suddenly-quarterback-less Patriots at No. 23. We would not be surprised if Love climbs a little higher than even that come the draft. 

SOURCE: New York Post

Mar 28, 2020, 4:34 PM ET

I was watching guys throw at the combine, pretty far away from the tv so I couldn’t tell who was throwing, just kind of on in the background. I walked across the room to see who was throwing after he threw, it looked so much better than everyone else. 

Write this down, you don’t get scouting like this just anywhere.....

You might be right, but when Indy is struggling to find a starting QB and love is looking like Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson had a baby, I'll be glad love isn't a colt.
We could play that game all day, but at the end of the day I don't think Jordan Love is a star NFL QB.

We could play that game all day, but at the end of the day I don't think Jordan Love is a star NFL QB.
He's risky for sure. 

Might not mesh with Reich's style, but I'd love to see him in Tampa although that seems less likely if Brady thinks he's playing to 45. 

ESPN Draft Analyst Todd McShay had the San Diego Chargers selecting Utah State QB Jordan Love with the 6th overall selection in his latest mock draft.

Love (6'4/224) has recently been linked to the New England Patriots down at the 23rd selection, so McShay is somewhat bold with this prediction. He does couch the pick by saying Herbert could be selected here, as his colleague Mel Kiper believes in his latest mock. Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy recently remarked that Love possesses the highest ceiling of any quarterback in the 2020 class. At this juncture it's hard to pin down exactly where in the first round Love will be selected, but it's unlikely he falls to the second. 

Mar 31, 2020, 2:16 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Utah State QB Jordan Love has met virtually with the Saints, Packers, Colts, Dolphins, Chargers and Raiders.

With face-to-face meetings with prospects no longer possible, NFL squads are shifting to FaceTime and the like as they try their best to prep for the draft in the middle of an ongoing pandemic. While the Patriots were not among the teams that Rap Sheet name-checked in his report, New England has been tied loosely to Love in several mock drafts since Tom Brady signed with the Bucs earlier this spring. The most bullish mock projection we have seen thus far comes from ESPN's Todd McShay, who pegged the 6-foot-4, 224-pounder to the Chargers at No. 6. 

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 1, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Brent Sobleski believes that Utah State QB Jordan Love is the most "boom-or-bust" quarterback prospect available in the 2020 NFL Draft.

You could make an argument on a few quarterbacks in this class being "boom-or-bust," but it certainly is understandable why Love is considered the most volatile to Sobleski. As he notes, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound quarterback was quite impressive in his redshirt sophomore season in 2018 with a 32-6 TD/INT ratio, but struggled with a 20/17 mark in 2019. He also notes that Love has been compared to Patrick Mahomes because of his athleticism and arm strength, however, and he tested well at the NFL Scouting Combine. As Sobleski writes in his summary: "Love is a perfect example of a prospect who requires thorough coaching to realize his full potential."

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 4, 2020, 11:53 AM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports that Utah State QB Jordan Love could be in play for the Los Angeles Chargers at No. 6 overall.

Miller notes that the prevailing opinion among league insiders has been that the Chargers would select whichever quarterback between Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa whom the Dolphins do not select. Per a "very well-connected scout" whom the analyst spoke with, though, Jordan Love could very much be in play for this pick. Miller reported during the Senior Bowl practice week that the Chargers were developing a little crush on Love. We'll see if it's blossomed into more than that in a few weeks.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 5, 2020, 1:40 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that there is a "good possibility" that the Las Vegas Raiders select Utah State QB Jordan Love with the No. 19 pick if he is still available.

"They wouldn’t have to throw Love into the fire immediately and could develop him with the QB’s presently on the depth chart," Pauline writes. The real question at this juncture is probably whether Love will even be available at No. 19. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reported earlier this month that the Chargers should be considered a serious player to take Love at 1.6, which would price the Raiders out unless they are to trade up. As for what HC Jon Gruden and crew might do elsewhere, the evaluator hears that Las Vegas would like to draft a receiver at 1.12 if their preferred wideout (he does not specify who that would be) is available in that slot. Pauline sees the Raiders targeting multiple receivers through the first two days of the draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 8, 2020, 4:17 PM ET

ESPN's Matt Bowen compares Utah State QB Jordan Love to Denver Broncos QB Drew Lock. 

Lock was seen by many as the "best of the rest" quarterback prospect of the 2019 quarterback class and was drafted as such. Though immensely talented, Lock was a bit reckless in college and needed a bit of fine-tuning in the NFL in order to be a hit. Love (6'4/225) fills a similar role in this class. While he is nowhere near as sure a prospect as Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, or even Justin Herbert, the potential he assumes due to his arm talent, mobility, and daring mentality is enticing. Look out for some team to swing on Love in the mid to late first round, where many expected Lock to be drafted last year. 

Apr 9, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

He will likely be the 4th QB off the board. When that pick will be taken is up for debate but it seems like he is a lock anywhere in the back half of the 1st round with potential to move higher. 
Have seen him mocked as high as 5th overall and as low as mid 2nd round.  Have no idea where this guy is going to go.

Have seen him mocked as high as 5th overall and as low as mid 2nd round.  Have no idea where this guy is going to go.
With QBs being a premium and Love having significant upside i can't see him lasting past late mid 1st round. 

With QBs being a premium and Love having significant upside i can't see him lasting past late mid 1st round. 
I think he holds the key to the panthers draft.  If it breaks like I people think with Herbert going to the Chargers and Love still on the board then I could see teams looking to trade up.

I think he holds the key to the panthers draft.  If it breaks like I people think with Herbert going to the Chargers and Love still on the board then I could see teams looking to trade up.
It would be interesting to see the Panthers trade back (they wouldn't take him with Teddy would they?) 

Love in Jacksonville scares me a little. 

It's very easy to understand why the Saints met with him with the news coming out about Brees today.  They were going to take Mahommes had KC not traded in front of them.  Payton and Loomis are not afraid to trade up.  I'm just tired of the amount of draft capital they give up.

Users who are viewing this thread