What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (1 Viewer)

I’ve got a massive bid in on him and hope to land him. If i do I’ll most likely start him over Singletary in my flex. 0.5 ppr
When do your waivers go through? Would be interested in hearing what he goes for...

We have $200 FAAB to start the season, and some teams barely spent anything to this point. I think they are going to drop massive amounts on this guy.

When do your waivers go through? Would be interested in hearing what he goes for...

We have $200 FAAB to start the season, and some teams barely spent anything to this point. I think they are going to drop massive amounts on this guy.
Waivers go through tonight, $100 budget, I have $58 left, bidding $46 as another owner that is super needy at WR has $45 left and I am pretty sure he will go all in.  Fingers crossed

i just got him for 41/200

What % of your remaining FAAB was 41?

What was the next highest?
I had 165 left and spent 41 on Claypool and 41 on Dalton (2 qb league).

Doesn't show what the next highest was.  I'd assume it wasn't too far behind my 41 as that's only 20%.

Besides Kenny Golloday, what offers have been coming over?

I was offered David Montegomery...non-PPR league

Is this a true stud coming out party? How bullish on this guy are we getting if there’s a buy opportunity in dynasty? 

Is this a true stud coming out party? How bullish on this guy are we getting if there’s a buy opportunity in dynasty? 
I think he has the potential to be a 2nd round startup pick this coming off-season. I'm not predicting that, only speaking to his upside. He's quietly on pace for 1,000 yards and is leading the team in air yards and WOPR, and while his YPR won't hold, he should see an increase in utilization going forward. At the very least, he's clearly moved past Washington in an offense that can support 3 fantasy relevant options. He has looked the part all season, has an elite athletic profile, solid draft profile, and is in a good offense. He's 6th in DVOA and has a higher PFF grade than Metcalf, Lamb, Ridley, Terry and Hill - every player I looked up with the exception of Hopkins.

Very small sample size, of course. But the indicators are there. I'm betting on his value continuing to rise.

Big dynasty concern for me is how long will he have Ben and who is the successor? Mason Rudolf would be like strapping a boat anchor to his ankle. Could project as a perennial WR1 with a good QB.

Big dynasty concern for me is how long will he have Ben and who is the successor? Mason Rudolf would be like strapping a boat anchor to his ankle. Could project as a perennial WR1 with a good QB.
I think the Steelers are a good enough organization to do better than a player like Rudolph when it’s time to replace Ben permanently. That’s a front office that just does things the right way, and more importantly, develops players and puts them in a situation to succeed. And the way they’re built right now would be a perfect fit for a proven QB if they aren’t in a position to draft one. I’d love to see Stafford end up there somehow, he deserves it, but that’s probably a pipe dream. 

I've read a bunch of articles on various sites, and pretty much everybody has either Claypool or Mattison as their #1 WW pickup.  But nobody is talking about him as a league winner or anything.  I haven't heard anybody recommending more than 50% of FAAB on Claypool, and many are in the 15-20% range.

Can anybody recall back in the day, following Beckham making THE CATCH against the Cowboys - were people all in on him being guaranteed top 5 ROS or were people pumping the brakes like they are now?  

Giants fan here. People were all in on Beckham Jr. pretty early not just because his traits, he had a massive opportunity as he cracked the starting LU pretty quick (Victor Cruz tore his patella tendon in a Sunday night game vs. Philly) and his other WRs were the turrible Reuben Randle and meh Preston Parker... that Dallas SNF game was his first official start.

Clay has still has Juju and Diontae in front of him and to be fair James Washington isn't going away. Now if one of them goes out for the year like what happened in Odell's situation, oh yes full speed ahead; but it's worth mentioning Claypool was still outsnapped by Juju and Washington with Johnson hurt.With a healthy Diontae Johnson I can see Claypool starting to cannibalize Washington's snaps, but his situation is nothing like Odell's.

I've read a bunch of articles on various sites, and pretty much everybody has either Claypool or Mattison as their #1 WW pickup.  But nobody is talking about him as a league winner or anything.  I haven't heard anybody recommending more than 50% of FAAB on Claypool, and many are in the 15-20% range.

Can anybody recall back in the day, following Beckham making THE CATCH against the Cowboys - were people all in on him being guaranteed top 5 ROS or were people pumping the brakes like they are now?  
THE CATCH / Cowboys game was week 12.

He was slow out of the gate - after missing the first 4 games, first 3 were pedestrian. But as the 12th pick he was rostered everywhere. 

He started his last 11 games & the last 9 games he was red hot.

Pedantic stuff, sorry.

Claypool was the 49th pick. In a pandemic year. Nowhere near the same expectations. But on opening he caught a hole shot in between the zone while double tapping; anyone watching kinda knew he was special then. Opportunity is important, though - situations matter.

I don’t think he’s behind Diontae at this stage but I suppose opinions vary. And Juju hasn’t been anything close to a FF WR1 since 2018. Not even for a week.

Clay has still has Juju and Diontae in front of him and to be fair James Washington isn't going away. Now if one of them goes out for the year like what happened in Odell's situation, oh yes full speed ahead; but it's worth mentioning Claypool was still outsnapped by Juju and Washington with Johnson hurt.With a healthy Diontae Johnson I can see Claypool starting to cannibalize Washington's snaps, but his situation is nothing like Odell's.
Washington outsnapped Claypool by 1 last week. The week before Claypool led the team in snaps and was ahead of Washington in 3 WR sets. He started ahead of Washington on Sunday, too.

I don't know how this will play out, but I think the situation is a whole lot more fluid than you paint it. They made it a point to feature Claypool on Sunday, from start to finish. It wasn't about matchups either, as they moved him around and targeted him from everywhere.  It will be interesting to see what happens and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the the 3rd option from here on out. But it sure looks like his play has disrupted the pecking order to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just landed Claypool for $53 out of $200

Next highest bid was $35. Same team landed Mike Williams for $35.

Fulgham went for $40 to a team that didn't bid on Claypool.

I thought for sure that a team would go over $100.

Washington outsnapped Claypool by 1 last week. The week before Claypool led the team in snaps and was ahead of Washington in 3 WR sets. He started ahead of Washington on Sunday, too.

I don't know how this will play out, but I think the situation is a whole lot more fluid than you paint it. They made it a point to feature Claypool on Sunday, from start to finish. It wasn't about matchups either, as they moved him around and targeted him from everywhere.  It will be interesting to see what happens and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the the 3rd option from here on out. But it sure looks like his play has disrupted the pecking order to me.
I think you're misconstruing my comment; I'm saying it's important to note the pecking order when everyone is healthy. For instance, that Week 3 example you gave Diontae Jonson only played 19 snaps (24%) with a concussion; Claypool played 61 (76%), Juju played 58 (72%), and Washington 49 (61%). He played so many snaps because once again was taking over for an injured player. Week 5 happened and of course he took over most of the snaps with Washington only gaining a slight increase. When there's an injury, Claypool is set to inherit a very large role/increase in snaps. But when everyone is healthy, the evidence so far points to him still competing with Washington for snaps (though he's already eating into his role).

The good news is Pittsburgh runs 11 personnel 67% of the time this season (NFL avg. is 61%). So if he could fully take over Washington's role, there would be a much clearer path to fantasy relevance (Pittsburgh doesn't run many 4-wide sets at all). So the numbers clearly lay out the difference in Odell's situation and Claypool's.

I think you're misconstruing my comment; I'm saying it's important to note the pecking order when everyone is healthy. For instance, that Week 3 example you gave Diontae Jonson only played 19 snaps (24%) with a concussion; Claypool played 61 (76%), Juju played 58 (72%), and Washington 49 (61%). He played so many snaps because once again was taking over for an injured player. Week 5 happened and of course he took over most of the snaps with Washington only gaining a slight increase. When there's an injury, Claypool is set to inherit a very large role/increase in snaps. But when everyone is healthy, the evidence so far points to him still competing with Washington for snaps (though he's already eating into his role).
Misunderstanding your point, maybe. You said it was important to note that Washington got an extra snap last week. I think Claypool’s role is rapidly expanding. Johnson’s injury likely contributed to his breakout, but I don’t see things going back to status quo on his return. Claypool has already jumped Washington. He started over Washington on Sunday, and when Johnson went down it was Washington who saw extra snaps. 

I agree that Claypool’s situation is different than Beckham’s. I just don’t think he’s clearly behind Juju and Johnson or battling with Washington. I could be wrong, of course. We’ll see soon enough.

I don't think there's any chance that Washington is in front of Claypool at this point.  He had his shot last year and didn't impress - which probably factored in to the Steelers picking Claypool.  Washington is JAG.  I think Claypool actually will make JuJu better, and when healthy, Johnson with those two could be lethal.

Sir Psycho said:
Who's starting Claypool and over whom ?

I'm starting him over Marquise Brown (ppr league).
If I grab him I might need him as my Flex this week but will probably be replacing his teammate JuJu in the near future I got Tyreke Hill Keenen Allen and Mike Williams. I got Ayuk but with the QB situation and Injuries but no one going on IR and not willing to drop I might have to drop him for a more consistent productive player 

Not a Stillers fan, but am an admirer. I'd bet they find a franchise QB or at least semi-franchise QB replacement for Ben, when the time comes, sooner than most orgs.

I really think so, yes. We'll see about ROS in a rookie, covid-infested year; but this kid has it all in spades to become a superstar.
I certainly hope so, because I just bought big for a rebuild. Had been negotiating a deal all day—I essentially gave Nuk and Waller for McLaurin, Fant, Claypool, and Pittman. 

Full speed ahead! 

I can't and honestly don't care to try to prove it... But as a Beckham owner that year, who picked him up right after his first game upon return from (hammy?) injury early on... I remember distinctly the same pump the brakes dialogue. That said, the same is true for the other 95% of breakout candidates since and before then, who turned into nothing even remotely close to ODB/OBJ.

That said, pump your brakes all you want, but if you have even remote facimiles of me in your league, you will need to make a monster bid tonight if you want to secure this dude. Fortunately for me, I only had to spend $5 FAAB... Three weeks ago. (I'd spend 40-50%+ on him tonight if I wasn't already all 'tron'd up. Easy. Probably more, if I am totally honest with myself. But as with drafts/auctions - and life in general - in FAAB I am a go getta, not a value shopper. :) )

Thought I read somewhere that he was a beneficiary of pretty weak coverage last week, several times a LB. Wonder what will happen if/when better coverage rolls over to him.

I think you're misconstruing my comment; I'm saying it's important to note the pecking order when everyone is healthy.
I'd counter this is true only when you don't have a breakout (or in this case multiple breakouts) by the substitute player. Countless examples over the years, but look no further than Herbert/Taylor this season.

Week 6 fantasy football metrics notebook: It's past time to respect Ryan Tannehill, Titans passing game

Excerpt:

5 - Chase Claypool is bound to shake up Steelers WR corps

Claypool’s routes run (per team dropback) by week

15%, 31%, 82%, 69%

Claypool’s snap rate by week

30%, 37%, 76%, 69%

Claypool’s target share by week

7%, 7%, 11%, 32%

Obviously, Chase Claypool got a boost in playing time in the last two games because of Diontae Johnson’s mid-game injuries. It’s unlikely he sees the type of target share as he did in Week 5 if Johnson doesn’t go down with a back injury. That being said, you can see the Steelers were already excited to boost his playing time. His snap share and route rate bumped from Weeks 1 to 2 while Johnson was healthy. 

Now that Claypool has enjoyed his breakout game there’s exactly a zero percent chance the Steelers go back to having him be a sub-50-percent snap player. The team is already using him in an optimal manner. While some wanted to see Claypool as a move tight end-type in the NFL, he’s more of a Vincent Jackson talent with the release moves and vertical speed to win outside. So far, he’s averaged just 5.8 routes per game from the slot as a rookie. He’s had some advantageous matchups when moved inside, including snagging two of his touchdowns last Sunday inside with Eagles linebacker Nathan Gerry in coverage (per PFF). 

Pittsburgh uses three wide receivers on 67 percent of their plays this year. Claypool can easily assume one of those outside spots. If anything, he should probably get a bump over James Washington, who has not cleared 40 yards in a game this year. His snap rate dropped 10 percent from Weeks 1 to 2 when Claypool got the first bump. 

Considering they throw the ball at the seventh-highest rate when the game is within three points, there should be enough volume for JuJu Smith-Schuster, Johnson (when healthy), and Claypool to put up good numbers this year. That is a really dangerous wide receiver trio.

From a fantasy angle, these guys are all going to eat into each other. You’ll probably want to rank them between WR20-35 on a weekly basis based on matchups and such. That would indicate you should break ties in favor of starting any of them while accepting the volatility between the three. 

For example, Smith-Schuster has been painfully disappointing this year; we know that. He ranks 63rd in yards per game with an average depth of target south of 6.0. However, he’s still the primary slot receiver for the team and the Browns give up the most yards and catches (57-738) to slot players this year. He has the best matchup so he might be closer to WR20 while Claypool and Johnson (if he plays) should still be in starting consideration, just with tempered expectations outside the top-30 ranked players.

I don't think there's any chance that Washington is in front of Claypool at this point.  He had his shot last year and didn't impress - which probably factored in to the Steelers picking Claypool.  Washington is JAG.  I think Claypool actually will make JuJu better, and when healthy, Johnson with those two could be lethal.
Every time I decide Washington is JAG, he does something like the TD he scored against the Giants, which may have been the most amazing TD by a Steeler WR this year.

The Steelers are extremely deep at WR and have a QB that can spread the ball around and does a fantastic job of getting the most out of them. At this point, it will be very difficult for defenses to shutdown all of them. 

Based on the number of high quality targets, I think they may be a bit inconsistent. Of the three WRs, I think Johnson represents the highest floor. JuJu and Claypool will have higher ceilings.  Washington will be boom or bust. 

For Dynasty purposes, it looks like Claypool will be relevant for a long time. I’m not ready to call him a perennial Top 10 or 20 start up guy as some have said above. I still think Lamb is a better prospect and may have Jeudy and Jefferson ahead of him as well. They all can’t be top 20, can they?

I just got him for $41 in a 2 player keeper .5 PPR league ($200 budget). Had $104 to spend. He will cost $5 to keep. The other bids were $40, $40, $25, $19, $16 and $5. Around half the league had $120 or left to spend and 3 teams had a full $200. 

I can't express enough how high Claypool's ceiling is. I traded for him before the season started, but he's developing quicker than I thought.

His RAC ability might be the most pleasant surprise. His size, speed, & loose hips are deadly (along with what looks to be good running instincts).

Hard to say what kind of production he'll end up with this season, but there's not a WR in the NFL with a higher ceiling.

His athleticism is insane, and he’s had some great catches that show his sideline awareness, but does anyone worry that he body catches a lot? It doesn’t seem to matter so far. I guess even Calvin for as insane as he was, had a sloppy catch technique sometimes and it never mattered, not everyone is Larry Fitzgerald in that regard. 

His athleticism is insane, and he’s had some great catches that show his sideline awareness, but does anyone worry that he body catches a lot? It doesn’t seem to matter so far. I guess even Calvin for as insane as he was, had a sloppy catch technique sometimes and it never mattered, not everyone is Larry Fitzgerald in that regard. 
Not worried in the slightest. The guy basically scored 5 TDs Sunday. I think I can live with an occasional drop.

Starting Claypool with great optimism as my 3rd WR along with Kenny Golladay and Calvin Ridley. 

The BIG winner with Claypool's emergence is Ben Roethlisberger.   He has a huge array of weapons at his disposal.   Cleveland gives up the 2nd most FF points to WRs in the NFL, and the 7th most to QBs.   

As was said earlier, Steelers are almost exclusively 3-wide and there might be some weeks in which they deem Washington to be a better fit in the game plan... maybe. I'm trying to temper my hopes here because I am pretty dang excited about the kid. My imagination is kinda running wild at the moment.

'He was ... unstoppable': This Pittsburgh rival has long been on the Chase Claypool bandwagon

T.J. Houshmandzadeh trained many of the wideouts in this year's draft and has high praise for the Steelers rookie

...  “He was [expletive] unstoppable,” Houshmandzadeh said. “No one could touch him.” ... 

... Houshmandzadeh sees Claypool doing the same things in NFL games and takes pleasure in reaching out to the same coaches and scouts he tried to sell on Claypool, “when no one wanted to listen to me.” Houshmandzadeh corrects himself that there was one guy who believed him, a scout for the Buffalo Bills.

“What do you think?” the scout asked. “Because I think he’s the best receiver in the draft.”

“You’re onto something,” Houshmandzadeh answered.

Houshmandzadeh got a text Sunday afternoon from that same scout that simply read “Chase Claypool” with the wide eyes emoji. “I tried to tell you,” he wrote back...

... “I told him, by midyear, you’re going to be the No. 1 receiver on that team,” Houshmandzadeh recalled. “He said, ‘What about JuJu?’ I said this has nothing to do with JuJu. You'll be the No. 1 receiver on that team because you've got Ben [Roethlisberger], and once you show him what I think you can do, he’s not going to stop feeding you.” ...

...   “You can't say Larry Fitzgerald, you can't say Mike Evans, because Chase is faster than those guys. I think Plaxico Burress is a little bigger, but Plax couldn't run like Chase can run. It’s tough, man. Chase, he’s going to be his own guy. You can't compare Chase to nobody. He can do things that there’s not too many guys that came before him can do. You maybe could say, maybe, T.O.” — as in Terrell Owens — “but he’s probably going to be a better route-runner than T.O., more sure-handed than T.O. But the size and speed? I can see T.O.”

At 6 feet 3, 224 pounds, Owens was actually listed an inch shorter and 14 pounds lighter than Claypool. It’s not just the natural gifts that have Houshmandzadeh predicting greatness but also his ability to to learn an offense, as well as his technique — two things they honed before the draft. “How to basically get away from all the [B.S.] in the playbook that you don't need,” Houshmandzadeh said. “And Chase will tell you, all we work on is creating separation and beating tough coverage. That’s all we work on, physically.”
This article will get any Chase owner pumped.  TJ 'CHAMPIONSHIP' Housmandzadeh trained Chase prior to the draft and has been right about him up to this point.

His prediction of not just becoming the Steelers' #1 WR but also being better than some of the greatest WRs of the past few decades is interesting to say the least.

'He was ... unstoppable': This Pittsburgh rival has long been on the Chase Claypool bandwagon

This article will get any Chase owner pumped.  TJ 'CHAMPIONSHIP' Housmandzadeh trained Chase prior to the draft and has been right about him up to this point.

His prediction of not just becoming the Steelers' #1 WR but also being better than some of the greatest WRs of the past few decades is interesting to say the least.
As the resident Mapletron truther, I approve of this message. SOD 2020, for fantasy and NFL.

As the resident Mapletron truther, I approve of this message. SOD 2020, for fantasy and NFL.
I think his family friend (Father of Chase?) is the real truth. 

Chase is from Canada, Canadians had their Thanksgiving this past Sunday and his family had a gathering to feast and watch Chase.

The Family friend (and 'father' of Chase?)  PREDICTED the 4 TD game.

How Chase Claypool — and those who saw this coming — is handling newfound fame

The turkey was in the oven, appetizers were on the table and mimosas were flowing at the home of Chel and Khul Sanghera. It was the Sunday before Thanksgiving in Abbotsford, British Columbia, but dinner couldn't wait. There was a Steelers game to watch at 10 a.m. sharp.

While Chel was getting the spread ready, her longtime friend John Mensah came to her with a prediction about his son.

“He’s going to get two touchdowns today,” he proclaimed...

... “We’re happy,” she reminded her guest. “Don’t be greedy.”

But Claypool’s father was having none of it and repeated himself that yes, No. 11 is going to score not one but two touchdowns. Sure enough, less than an hour after kickoff, Dad knew best. He turned to Sanghera again with another forecast: He’s going to get two more.

Users who are viewing this thread