Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Chase Claypool, Steelers

I’m not saying it happened. Was asking the question. As I said, I watched the game and have no idea how well Claypool was covered.  As a Claypool owner, it was very painful that Ben literally never looked at his side of the field.

Edited by JackReacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

I"m sorry but if Malcolm Butler takes you out of a game you aren't anyone's WR1.

Might not be so much that Butler took him out of the game, but that Pittsburgh noticed the Titans were keying on Claypool. So they said cool, and threw it 30 times to Juju and DJ. 

1 hour ago, JackReacher said:

I’m not saying it happened. Was asking the question. As I said, I watched the game and have no idea how well Claypool was covered.  As a Claypool owner, it was very painful that Ben literally never looked at his side of the field.

For real, never looked his way. Which makes me think Tenn keyed on Claypool and Ben just rolled with it. 

Some guys in my dynasty league turned down really good offers for him. Should have taken the offers and now I'm okay they didn't ;)

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Some guys in my dynasty league turned down really good offers for him. Should have taken the offers and now I'm okay they didn't ;)

This doesn’t really feel like a comment guided by dynasty thinking

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

I'm not selling him because of one game. We've seen his ceiling. He can just sit on my bench and we'll see how he does in camp next year but he's not coming off my roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

You base dynasty trades from game to game?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

I'm not selling him because of one game. We've seen his ceiling. He can just sit on my bench and we'll see how he does in camp next year but he's not coming off my roster.

In camp? There's a 50% chance that he's a top 20 WR the rest of this year.

Chase Claypool caught his lone target for -2 yards in the Steelers' Week 7 win over the Titans.

To be honest, Claypool didn't even catch his target; It was a catch and fumble that ended with negative yardage. It was a disaster for the emerging rookie, outside of the confirmation that he is a starter over James Washington. Diontae Johnson (15 targets) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (13 targets) easily paced the team in targets with Ben Roethlisberger setting a new season high with 49 attempts. Claypool did get shadowed by the Titans' top corner, however. Claypool's ceiling is the highest given his athleticism, but rookies can be inconsistent, especially when playing on the outside. Expect Claypool to have many booms and busts as a WR3/flex play. It's worth tracking Diontae Johnson, who left Week 7 in the fourth quarter with a leg injury.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

15 hours ago, Concept Coop said:

I started him over Juju and Jamaal Williams. Feel free to DM for lineup advice.

that is funny man!

I started him over Ju Ju also.  leaves a pukey feeling when the game was over.

Was that Claypool who generated about a 30 yard PI call down the right sideline?

22 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Was that Claypool who generated about a 30 yard PI call down the right sideline?

Yes. 

Some people are getting real greedy with expectations for Claypool...Dynasty-wise if you own him he's a major score because I am guessing the highest he was drafted was the second round and it was probably lower in most leagues...the kid can play and the future is bright but he is playing with two other quality WRs in Johnson and JJSS and another one in Washington who will have his moments so he's not going to be an automatic every week this year...this is probably a great week to make an offer for him just in case his owners are panicking over this dud but overall the future is very bright.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JackReacher said:

The commentators made a big deal of the fact that the Titans chose to shadow Claypool with Butler. They said, it implied the Titans thought Claypool was Pitsburgh’s WR1, and went so far as to say Butler took him out of the game. 

This is a scarier statement then him being an afterthought when DJ an JJSS both play.  

This is just a comment for redraft.  For dynasty I still think he will be a future stud.  For redraft he will be tough to play this year.

18 hours ago, JackReacher said:

The commentators made a big deal of the fact that the Titans chose to shadow Claypool with Butler. They said, it implied the Titans thought Claypool was Pitsburgh’s WR1, and went so far as to say Butler took him out of the game. 

I heard that during the game and it went along with exactly what I posted in the Diontae thread the day before the game. And that was that if not now then for sure by next season in real life NFL football Claypool would be viewed as the #1WR by opposing teams but that Diontae would be the #1 guy in targets. And that is why I thought the debate over who is the #1WR was the wrong conversation or focus with respect to fantasy football.

• Like 2

So you guys buying at this price in a PPR dynasty???

Give: Parker, 1st (probably mid) in 2021, Hamler 

Get: Claypool, Beckham, 2nd (probably mid) in 2021

3 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

I would easily because I hardly value Parker and Hamler, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would view cashing out with any first some kind of win (not sure why honestly).

4 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Uh yes, I know he’s hurt but that’s almost OBJ as a throw-in too lol 

• Like 1

What WR doesn’t blank from time to time. Metcalf is some people’s dynasty WR1 and just had a comparable game. It can be maddening to own even a guy like a Julio. 

5 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Run to your computer & accept.

11 hours ago, Boston said:

Some people are getting real greedy with expectations for Claypool...Dynasty-wise if you own him he's a major score because I am guessing the highest he was drafted was the second round and it was probably lower in most leagues...the kid can play and the future is bright but he is playing with two other quality WRs in Johnson and JJSS and another one in Washington who will have his moments so he's not going to be an automatic every week this year...this is probably a great week to make an offer for him just in case his owners are panicking over this dud but overall the future is very bright.

I agree with this.  Claypool looks great, but is still a rookie and likely has a lot to learn, about the NFL and about the Steelers offense.  He had 11 targets in the Philly game, but only has 14 in other five games combined.  If he can keep breaking long scores on his limited touches, more power to him, but I think redraft owners should definitely temper their expectations, especially if Juju and D. Johnson stay healthy and on the field, as those guys are still target machines and I don't see that changing any time soon this year.

Go to the link for the entire article...

Fantasy football intel for all 32 NFL teams ahead of Week 8

Fantasy football intel for all 32 NFL teams ahead of Week 8

Pittsburgh Steelers: Diontae Johnson returned from injury on Sunday, and the Steelers' wide receiver usage and production was as follows: JuJu Smith-Schuster led the room with 62 snaps (84%) and posted a solid 9-85-0 receiving line on 14 targets (his most since Week 16 back in 2018). Johnson played 56 snaps and continued his streak of massive usage with 15 targets, which allowed a strong 9-80-2 receiving line. Chase Claypool played 47 snaps and was limited to a 1-yard loss on one target. James Washington (one target on 18 snaps) and Ray-Ray McCloud (two targets on seven snaps) were the odd men out. Impressive rookie Claypool's dud is going to make it hard to justify him for a flex spot, especially considering how much he was used on special teams, but it's positive news that he passed Washington on the depth chart. Consider him a bench option for now, with Johnson and Smith-Schuster still weekly must-starts.

Pittsburgh Steelers

WR: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson, Chase ClaypoolJames Washington, Ray-Ray McCloud III, Deon Cain

-------------------------------

Diontae Johnson (ankle) recorded nine receptions on 15 targets for 80 yards and two touchdowns in Week 7 against the Titans.

Spin: Johnson returned after a Week 6 absence with a back injury and showed no rust early on. He tallied two of the first three Steelers' touchdowns on 11 and nine-yard receptions respectively. He was also Ben Roethlisberger's favorite wideout, as Johnson picked up a career-best 15 targets. Despite the excellent performance, Johnson was forced to exit the game in the midst of the fourth quarter with an ankle injury. Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com reported that the injury would not jeopardize Johnson's status for Week 8, though it will be worth noting his practice participation leading up to the Steelers' contest against the Ravens.

-------------------------------

Leading up to Sunday's game Diontae Johnson had 3 targets in the previous two weeks with 1 reception for - 2 yards.

Leading up to Sunday's game JuJu Smith-Schuster had 14 targets with 10 receptions for 77 yards and 1 TD the previous 3 weeks.

They are the starters but it 'seems' like Sunday's game was the odd game out for those guys on the year.  Diontae has been dealing with injuries and Ju-ju has also been working through injuries.

Claypool the previous 3 weeks had 12 receptions on 19 targets for 208 yards with 3 receiving TDs plus 5 carries for 13 yards and 2 rushing TDs.

I think Ben and the staff was bending over backwards to get the other guys involved.  I think its going to be a guessing game as to whom will be featured going forward but Claypool has just 'looked' better IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is no one talking about that with nearly 30 targets, DJ and JuJu still couldn't crack 200 yards? And, on the year DJ has been incredibly inefficient as a receiver?

Now, imagine the numbers Claypool would pile up on 15 targets...

Oh, and also... Claypool has the highest QBR in the league when targeted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

Why is no one talking about that with nearly 30 targets, DJ and JuJu still couldn't crack 200 yards? And, on the year DJ has been incredibly inefficient as a receiver?

We're not allowed to talk about DJ's inefficiency or drops 

• Laughing 3

52 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

I’m not sure Claypool has the skillset to see the targets that Johnson gets. That’s not a knock on him - I think he’ll be the de facto #1 soon. I just think he might be the type to do his damage on 4 to 6 receptions a game, rather than 6 to 8 like DJ. 

Side note: I value him more than Juju in dynasty leagues. Maybe a lot of us do, but most rankings don’t reflect that yet. I was recently asked to swap Juju for Claypool in an offer I made, and couldn’t bring myself do it. Maybe part of that is the fun factor. He’s a fun guy to own.

• Like 2

How do Dynasty Owners compare Claypool compared to this year's upcoming rookie crop of Chase, Smith, Waddle, etc.?

Maybe you guys should call Ben Roethlisberger and the 6-0 Steelers and tell them what idiots they are?

Gotta love the Shark Poo 😆

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

We're not allowed to talk about DJ's inefficiency or drops 

Looks like you were right! LOL

• Laughing 1

Claypool is awesome no doubt but so is Diontae Johnson. They will both be fine as long as they stay healthy. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Claypool is awesome no doubt but so is Diontae Johnson. They will both be fine as long as they stay healthy. 

Finally, a comment I can get on board with...

Just traded for him in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Gave up Parker and Hamler to get him. Parker is having a great year but I had the depth in front of him (Thomas, AJ Brown, McLaurin, Cooper) to move him for what I believe is the Steelers #1 WR by 2021 (or at worst 1B with Diontae) 

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Just traded for him in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Gave up Parker and Hamler to get him. Parker is having a great year but I had the depth in front of him (Thomas, AJ Brown, McLaurin, Cooper) to move him for what I believe is the Steelers #1 WR by 2021 (or at worst 1B with Diontae) 

I really can't imagine why someone would move Chase for that. Nice get.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Milkman said:

Welp... apparently the TOE is back for DJ.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Welp... apparently the TOE is back for DJ.

Yeah and if you check out the Diontae Johnson thread I'm in agreement with you that Diontae Johnson is at least starting to be an injury concern. 

Edited by Milkman

13 hours ago, Milkman said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone is freaking out. They'll both be great as long as Ben is there.

The question is when you own both, which one do you trade away?

1 hour ago, FreshiZ said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone is freaking out. They'll both be great as long as Ben is there.

The question is when you own both, which one do you trade away?

If it is redraft I would trade Claypool. He will be less consistent this year. For dynasty keep claypool. 

2 hours ago, tricky92 said:

Very good.  Smart play might be to bench Claypool until Steelers show they will utilize him more in games all three are healthy. 

25 minutes ago, chad in Indy said:

Very good.  Smart play might be to bench Claypool until Steelers show they will utilize him more in games all three are healthy. 

That's how I'm approaching it. But, I also see monster potential down the stretch as the Steelers start to realize the inefficiencies of leaning on Johnson in the passing game.

30 targets to not even hit 170 yards is bad (DJ and JuJu).

4 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

That's how I'm approaching it. But, I also see monster potential down the stretch as the Steelers start to realize the inefficiencies of leaning on Johnson in the passing game.

30 targets to not even hit 170 yards is bad (DJ and JuJu).

You think a team that is 6-0 and scored the 8th most points in the NFL is suddenly going to say "this isn't working for us"?  

I know the big flashy plays are nice.  But they are a team built on defense and ball control.  That is working for them and I can't imagine they want to change from that.

• Like 1

Just now, skinsrule05 said:

You think a team that is 6-0 and scored the 8th most points in the NFL is suddenly going to say "this isn't working for us"?  

I know the big flashy plays are nice.  But they are a team built on defense and ball control.  That is working for them and I can't imagine they want to change from that.

Ok. Let's put a pin in this.

Ben Roethlisberger

• 4/10
  • 24 passing yards

Chase Claypool

• 2 receptions
  • 17 yards

-----------------------------------

Ray Fittipaldo@rayfitt1

Claypool matched up Peters last series. Single high safety in the middle of the field. Screamed for a deep shot. Claypool runs short route. If Ravens are going to press and give no help the Steelers have to test them. It's elementary.

Chase Claypool caught 5-of-9 targets for 42 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 8 win over the Ravens. 

It was nice to see Claypool lead the Steelers in targets a week after he saw one look against the Titans. Diontae Johnson's first half hamstring injury might have boosted Claypool's Week 8 opportunity, though Johnson only missed a couple drives in the first half against Baltimore. As long as Johnson is healthy, Claypool will probably be a more volatile producer than fantasy managers would prefer. He has a prime Week 9 matchup against Dallas. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

After Thursday I'm down with Rodgers and some IDP players blowing up I'm down to a weak opponent thinking I could actually lose unless I get some extra juice.  Looking over my roster and the matchups I'm plugging in Kid-Claypool hoping he blows up against that Little-D defense this Sunday.  :popcorn:

I think he's got a reasonable shot to have a Mapletron type game if Ju-Ju and Diontae don't hog everything. 🐷

4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

After Thursday I'm down with Rodgers and some IDP players blowing up I'm down to a weak opponent thinking I could actually lose unless I get some extra juice.  Looking over my roster and the matchups I'm plugging in Kid-Claypool hoping he blows up against that Little-D defense this Sunday.  :popcorn:

I think he's got a reasonable shot to have a Mapletron type game if Ju-Ju and Diontae don't hog everything. 🐷

I’ve been going back and forth all week. Zeke has been ruled out now. This is projecting to be a pummeling of massive proportions IMO. Big Ben and the starters could be pulled by the third quarter possibly. Anyone else have these concerns.... is Pitt known for keeping the foot on the gas during blowout games?

Edited by ahartig

2 minutes ago, ahartig said:

I’ve been going back and forth all week. Zeke has been ruled out now. This is projecting to be a pummeling of massive proportions IMO. Big Ben and the starters could be pulled by the third quarter possibly. Anyone else have these concerns.... is Pitt known for keeping the foot on the gas during blowout games?

Yes this is my concern. Passing volume should be extremely low on Steeler's side and that's really worse for JuJu and Diontae who are more volume driven but still not ideal for Claypool.

What Pittsburgh is known for is often playing down to their level of competition. As such they've only had one blowout win all year, against the Browns. I don't recall first/half second half splits of that game and Claypool went for like 4/74 but Diontae was out and Ben only attempted 22 passes.

1 hour ago, ahartig said:

I think this is true, but for it to happen, they will need 4 to 5 TDs first