What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, DET (1 Viewer)

Michigan junior WR Donovan Peoples-Jones declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

What a strange career. Peoples-Jones arrived in Ann Arbor as a ballyhooed five-star recruit, the No. 1 WR recruit in the nation. But in three years on campus, DPJ combined to post a cumulative receiving line of just 103-1,327-14. For context, Texas WR Devin Duvernay posted a 106-1,386-9 receiving line in 2019 alone. But it's fair to say that Peoples-Jones (6'2/208) still has a tantalizing combo of size and athleticism, and that he was done no favors by either Michigan's offensive fuddling around the past three years nor a lower-body injury earlier this fall that cost him a few games. His draft stock is hard to peg at the moment with so many unknown variables -- athletic testing will be big for him, as will his entire pre-draft process in general due to the underwhelming career -- but we'd say late Day 2/early Day 3 at the moment.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jan 4, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Michigan WR Donovan Peoples-Jones explains decision to enter NFL draft

In his latest mock draft, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged Michigan junior WR Donovan Peoples-Jones to the Buffalo Bills with the No. 26 overall pick.

"A 6'2", 215-pounder with power after the catch and an ability to win as a vertical threat, plus an excellent jump-ball player in the red zone, Peoples-Jones will open up the entire Buffalo passing game," Miller writes. The analyst also addresses DPJ's lack of college production, noting that "scouts will look at the quarterback talent he was working with in college and understand that his best football is ahead of him." While we understand Miller's argument, here, color us weary on Peoples-Jones as a first-rounder. It's a dangerous game to gamble on players who lack a real body of work, and that goes doubly so in a loaded receivers class.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Dec 4, 2019, 3:33 PM ET

As a Michigan fan, I will say he was electric with the ball. The last 2-3 years have been so frustrating watch the team run FB dives out of  3 TE set and instead of getting the ball to their 3 big athletic WRs. 

As a Michigan fan, I will say he was electric with the ball. The last 2-3 years have been so frustrating watch the team run FB dives out of  3 TE set and instead of getting the ball to their 3 big athletic WRs. 
Agree. Patterson didn't help much either. 

Still a first round prediction seems bold. As a Michigan state fan, I’ll agree that Harbaugh and MI have made some decisions that didn’t pan out on offense, and Harbaugh can’t seem to figure out his qb situation. People’s Jones is an intriguing project, but is he a refined enough wr to warrant a 1st (projected above?) 

Peoples-Jones had 7.6 YPT this year. Michigan averaged more yards per attempt when they threw elsewhere than they did when they threw to Peoples-Jones. One of their 2 main TEs, Sean McKeon, had a higher YPT than he did.

To be fair, in 2018 he did manage to have 8.6 YPT, which was higher than Michigan's YPA when throwing elsewhere by almost 0.7 yards (though still less than TE Zach Gentry).

So it wasn't just lack of volume that held his numbers down.

Still a first round prediction seems bold. As a Michigan state fan, I’ll agree that Harbaugh and MI have made some decisions that didn’t pan out on offense, and Harbaugh can’t seem to figure out his qb situation. People’s Jones is an intriguing project, but is he a refined enough wr to warrant a 1st (projected above?) 
I agree that 1st round is very ambitious. I would think more like 3rd.

Peoples-Jones had 7.6 YPT this year. Michigan averaged more yards per attempt when they threw elsewhere than they did when they threw to Peoples-Jones. One of their 2 main TEs, Sean McKeon, had a higher YPT than he did.

To be fair, in 2018 he did manage to have 8.6 YPT, which was higher than Michigan's YPA when throwing elsewhere by almost 0.7 yards (though still less than TE Zach Gentry).

So it wasn't just lack of volume that held his numbers down.
That’s not all on him, it’s about usage as well. They didn’t throw downfield to him.

No way he goes in the 1st round, but I think he does have potential at the next level if he can get some decent coaching and get on a team with a good QB.

Redskins should stick with Dwayne Haskins; NFL combine risers

Excerpt:

Back in 2015, Peoples-Jones became the first underclassmen to win the Nike Football Ratings Championship with a 149.49 SPARQ score. The five-star recruit was the No. 1 wide receiver in the Class of 2017, per 247Sports, with Tee Higgins and Jerry Jeudy at Nos. 2 and 3. DPJ impressed scouts with his size and explosive athleticism as a big-bodied playmaker at Cass Tech High School in Detroit.

At Michigan, Peoples-Jones didn't live up to the hype as a game changer at the position, but he did flash enough playmaking ability to intrigue scouts as a height-weight-speed prospect. The 6-foot-2, 212-pounder amassed over 2,100 all-purpose yards and 16 touchdowns in three years as a receiver/punt returner for the Wolverines. 

DPJ bullied smallish defenders on the outside with his size-strength combination, while exhibiting outstanding ball skills and hand-eye coordination. He routinely came down with acrobatic grabs on back-shoulder fades along the sideline and impressed evaluators with his sneaky running skills in the open field. He has a knack for breaking tackles in traffic while also flashing surprising breakaway speed and burst for a big receiver.

Peoples-Jones' combination of skills not only makes him an intriguing option as an outside receiver, but NFL coaches have also suggested a potential role as a big slot. 

"He was a big-time recruit coming out of high school with outstanding talent," an AFC wide receiver coach said. "He has all of the physical tools to be a top receiver, but he didn't put it together at Michigan. If he gets with the right program that allows him to play to his strengths as a player, there's no reason why he shouldn't be a solid starter in the league.

"He has the tools, but he needs to know how to use them."

Watching Peoples-Jones work out in Indy, it was easy to fall in love with his potential. He is an explosive athlete (4.48 40, 44.5-inch vertical leap, 11-foot-7 broad jump) with soft hands and outstanding ball skills. Although he isn't a polished route runner at this point, Peoples-Jones' potential as a vertical threat and red-zone weapon could make him an enticing option for a team looking to add size to its receiving corps.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein singled out "reliable" hands as one of Michigan WR Donovan Peoples-Jones' strengths.

Peoples-Jones (6'2/212) produced some very good athletic testing numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine, running the 40 in 4.48 seconds and performing well in the vertical and broad jumps as well. Those figures should improve the draft prospects of a player who at times lacked consistency when it came to his production. That being said, Peoples-Jones has good hands and could be a fit for some teams as a larger slot receiver. "His route tempo is sluggish, but he has some savvy and shortcuts footwork for out-breaking routes to the boundary," Zierlein wrote. "He doesn't run well enough to play outside in the pros but has decent tape as a big slot."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 19, 2020, 11:15 AM ET

Browns selected Michigan WR Donovan Peoples-Jones with the No. 187 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Peoples-Jones (6’2/212) was a five-star high school recruit and showcased 97th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism at the NFL Combine, but his production at Michigan told another story. His career highs in receptions (47), receiving yards (612), and touchdowns (8) came as a sophomore, and he declared for the draft coming off a 34-438-6 season. He was inconsistent on tape, disappearing for most of the game only to make the occasional big play. Perhaps splitting his reps between the slot and out wide prevented him from excelling in either, but it is still a concern. His athleticism, particularly his burst (44.5-inch vertical and 139-inch broad), will be an asset on special teams as a potential punt returner and gunner, but he didn’t show enough to project him as a starting receiver early in his NFL career. The upside, of course, is there.

Apr 25, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

Kevin Stefanski discusses Baker Mayfield, Donovan Peoples-Jones in conference call: Transcript

Excerpt:

On where WR Donovan Peoples-Jones has made his biggest strides this season:

“He has done a nice job at practice. He is always – I know this sounds simple – in the right place at the right time, and getting lined up is not sometimes an easy thing for young players at the wide receiver position. We are able to line him up at multiple positions. When he has had opportunities at practice, he has made a play on the ball. That is really going all the way back through training camp. He has done a nice job. He studies very hard. He does a great job in the meeting room. Obviously, provides us with some special teams value, as well.”

Donovan Peoples-Jones caught 3-of-5 targets for 74 yards in the Browns' Week 14 loss to the Ravens.

With KhaDarel Hodge (hamstring) out, DPJ was the third wideout. He has five grabs for 168 yards and one touchdown on eight targets the last two weeks but isn't a fantasy option.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:28 AM ET

Donovan Peoples-Jones caught 3-of-3 targets for 55 yards in the Browns' Week 15 win over the Giants.

Peoples-Jones was a boom-bust prospect coming out of Michigan. His production was iffy, but he a star playmaker on limited volume. His 97th percentile athleticism confirmed his big-play potential. In limited rookie action, Peoples-Jones has looked like a long-term answer as the Browns No. 3 or No. 4 receiver. He just needs more development to be a redraft asset.

- Rotoworld

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“Rashard Higgins is the favorite to serve as the No. 3 receiver, but the coaching staff also thinks highly of KhaDarel Hodge and Peoples-Jones, as evidenced by their consistent appearances with the first-team offense in minicamp.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1406245579450105857?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“A 2020 sixth-round pick, Peoples-Jones has the appearance of a player ready to take a leap in his second NFL season.

“Donovan looks incredible right now,” Mayfield said.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1406245581069164550?s=21

The Browns' official website reports the team believes second-year WR Donovan Peoples-Jones could "take a big leap this year."

"You saw his role grow throughout the course of the season," coach Kevin Stefanski said of DPJ's rookie year. "A very intelligent football, and we knew that from the jump with him. He could line up everywhere and do his job. We are looking forward to seeing what he can do, as he grows and gets more comfortable with what we are doing." You could say Stefanski's words don't mean anything, but there is no guarantee a coach comes and praises somebody. We could have just as likely heard nothing about DPJ's sophomore camp. Still only 22, DPJ was as advertised as a deep, big-play threat as a rookie. There are targets for the taking behind veterans Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry. 

SOURCE: clevelandbrowns.com 

Jul 29, 2021, 7:52 PM ET

@RuiterWrongFAN

It’s really hard not to hype the camp Donovan Peoples-Jones is having. It really is. Trying to maintain perspective but he shows up multiple times per day. #Browns

15:39 • 8/4/21

Donovan Peoples-Jones for real?

Can Donovan Peoples-Jones emerge as WR 3?

Could Donovan Peoples-Jones Be A Future WR1 For Browns?

Donovan Peoples-Jones is all over the field at Browns training camp

@AlbertBreer

1) WR Donovan Peoples-Jones is taking a big step. He's slimmed down, catching everything, has worked all offseason with Baker Mayfield, and his traits are translating into his play.

I get it, guys. I do. He’s the WR3 (maybe) on a low-volume team.

This entire thread is (nearly) Faust updates only. Maybe it’s time for someone besides Browns fans to notice this guy is might see a lot of snaps this year? If this keeps up he is going to earn targets.

I get it, guys. I do. He’s the WR3 (maybe) on a low-volume team. This entire thread is (nearly) Faust updates only. Maybe it’s time for someone besides Browns fans to notice this guy is might see a lot of snaps this year? If this keeps up he is going to earn targets.
I've personally been on the DPJ train for about a year now. He's the Nico Collins of the Browns. I just took him in a dispersal draft in Round 21 or 22 and had been trying to acquire him in my main league. It, I thought, was a good gamble. We get he's WR3 on a low-volume offense and Anthony Schwartz was drafted to be a deep threat. Let's see what the Browns do with OBJ before rushing to any dismissal of the man's talent, IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He is going against 2nd and 3rd stringers but he's tearing them up.

He is not going to supplant OBJ or Jarvis Landry for the top two spots.  He is in the running to get a share of the 3rd WR role.

Next year the Browns 'may' be looking to move-on from Landry or OBJ as the cap hit is excessive especially for the production of Landry but DPJ's arrow is pointing up ↗️ right now.

Today's camp update has DPJ as the top story.

Donovan Peoples-Jones continues to standout: Browns training camp report Day 7

Just my opinion, but Rashard Higgins isn't going anywhere, at least not in 2021. While not necessarily special, he's reliable - runs good routes and understands concepts, which means he's always in the right place at the right time during a play,  and he and Mayfield have a real trust thing going on. Everything you want in a #3 WR, when the games count. It's nice to see DP-J develop, and I'm excited to see what Schwartz brings to the table, but unless there's an injury to Beckham/Landry, those 2 + Higgins are going to dominate the WR snaps this Season, I think. I think DP-J is quite capable of making the most of the snaps he receives, though. 2022 is going to be interesting year for WR in Cleveland.

woodstock said:
I've personally been on the DPJ train for about a year now. He's the Nico Collins of the Browns. I just took him in a dispersal draft in Round 21 or 22 and had been trying to acquire him in my main league. It, I thought, was a good gamble. We get he's WR3 on a low-volume offense and Anthony Schwarz was drafted to be a deep threat. Let's see what the Browns do with OBJ before rushing to any dismissal of the man's talent, IMO. 
Michigan's inability to get a real QB the last few years killed me. We had DPJ, Nico and this kid Tarik Black who was a 6'3" 4 star stud who honestly was as good as Nico or DPJ at times. Michigan couldn't get the ball downfield to them. Stupid Shea Patterson. 

Just my opinion, but Rashard Higgins isn't going anywhere, at least not in 2021. While not necessarily special, he's reliable - runs good routes and understands concepts, which means he's always in the right place at the right time during a play,  and he and Mayfield have a real trust thing going on. Everything you want in a #3 WR, when the games count. It's nice to see DP-J develop, and I'm excited to see what Schwartz brings to the table, but unless there's an injury to Beckham/Landry, those 2 + Higgins are going to dominate the WR snaps this Season, I think. I think DP-J is quite capable of making the most of the snaps he receives, though. 2022 is going to be interesting year for WR in Cleveland.
I agree with this to a degree. I was looking at dynasty, though it's getting to be redraft season, so it behooves me to qualify what I'm talking about. I'm talking dynasty and 2022 and beyond, but I didn't make that clear. That's why I mentioned OBJ and what they'll do with him. Cleveland seems to be making a run this year, so I doubt they'll cut him or trade him, and I don't think DPJ takes over his role whatsoever as the top receiver of the bunch. Just not in the cards really for this year. 

But next year should be interesting depending on what Cleveland does with OBJ/Landry. 

The Athletic's Zac Jackson reports second-year WR Donovan Peoples-Jones is "absolutely lighting up" Browns training camp.

A five-star recruit out of high school, DPJ went to Michigan where the production didn't match the sheer athleticism and potential. He fell to the sixth round despite insane measurables at last year's Combine. Peoples-Jones got in on 25% of the offensive snaps as a rookie and produced big plays when given opportunities, snagging 14-of-20 targets for a whopping 304 yards (21.7 YPR) and a pair of touchdowns as the No. 3 wideout. With Odell Beckham back healthy, Rashard Higgins re-signed, and Jarvis Landry still in the slot, DPJ has a tough path to 2021 production, but it's going to be difficult to keep him off the field if he keeps making plays this summer. DPJ is a strong hold in Dynasty leagues.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 4, 2021, 10:21 PM ET

He is going against 2nd and 3rd stringers but he's tearing them up.

Lets be fair here. The Browns 3rd CB and #3 + #4 S start on 20 other teams.

You guys are ridiculously loaded in the defensive backfield. Absolutely loaded for bear this year.

The reason I bumped this is I don’t think a lot of FF players have caught up to the fact that the Browns have finally figured out how to unlock Baker. He’s not a guy who is gonna excel trying to peer through 6’5” lineman. But you roll him out and run bootlegs and give him some freedom, he’s the best on the league at throwing on the run. That offense was cooking the last two thirds of the year.

They scored 50 offensive TDs last year and I think they keep trending upward. The defense is going to be good so maybe they take their foot off the gas sometimes to run out games, but I think they will make a jump this year. Best offensive line in the league, silly deep at every skill position (5 WRs who can hurt you, 3 good RB including the best runner in the league, 3 good TEs.)

You want pieces of this offense.

You guys are ridiculously loaded in the defensive backfield. Absolutely loaded for bear this year.

The reason I bumped this is I don’t think a lot of FF players have caught up to the fact that the Browns have finally figured out how to unlock Baker. He’s not a guy who is gonna excel trying to peer through 6’5” lineman. But you roll him out and run bootlegs and give him some freedom, he’s the best on the league at throwing on the run. That offense was cooking the last two thirds of the year.

They scored 50 offensive TDs last year and I think they keep trending upward. The defense is going to be good so maybe they take their foot off the gas sometimes to run out games, but I think they will make a jump this year. Best offensive line in the league, silly deep at every skill position (5 WRs who can hurt you, 3 good RB including the best runner in the league, 3 good TEs.)

You noted the TEs, Browns run a lot of 12/13 personnel groupings and even keep a FB for 21.  They were thin at WR last year so 10 personnel was just not happening.  The O was run-heavy last year and they just extended both of the top-two RBs.  They drafted a RB and have been giving him WR reps. 

I hope Stefanski opens up the playbook and lets the leash out for Baker but that 'may not' mean more 10 and 11 personnel sets.  Not only has rookie RB Demitric Felton been getting WR reps but Kareem has been getting a notable uptick catching the ball.  

I think those who are looking forward to next year for DPJ have pretty good vision.  I'm excited he's doing so-well but you don't extend RBs to high dollar contracts in a run-heavy offense without using them. 

By this time next year Baker will get his extension and the money being paid to OBJ and Landry may not mesh with production so having DPJ on his rookie contract becomes 'very-interesting'.

You noted the TEs, Browns run a lot of 12/13 personnel groupings and even keep a FB for 21.  They were thin at WR last year so 10 personnel was just not happening.  The O was run-heavy last year and they just extended both of the top-two RBs.  They drafted a RB and have been giving him WR reps. 

I hope Stefanski opens up the playbook and lets the leash out for Baker but that 'may not' mean more 10 and 11 personnel sets.  Not only has rookie RB Demitric Felton been getting WR reps but Kareem has been getting a notable uptick catching the ball.  

I think those who are looking forward to next year for DPJ have pretty good vision.  I'm excited he's doing so-well but you don't extend RBs to high dollar contracts in a run-heavy offense without using them. 

By this time next year Baker will get his extension and the money being paid to OBJ and Landry may not mesh with production so having DPJ on his rookie contract becomes 'very-interesting'.

FYI

12 & 22 formations - 34%, third most behind PHI (36%) & TEN (39%)

13 formation - 156 plays (14%), which was 56 more than the 2nd highest

44% in 11 formation, well below league average (60%)

Sorry, but this is the Browns. I’m going to have to see it before I make any investment beyond Chubb and Hunt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one 4th round pick on one of my dynasty leagues last year and he was my target.  Best part is that a Michigander is in my league and has been trying to pry him away...didn't think anyone would take him and thought he'd nab him on waivers.

This guy gets crazy camp buzz but can't seem to crack the starting lineup.  I've been drafting him at the end of best balls hoping for a big payoff.

This guy gets crazy camp buzz but can't seem to crack the starting lineup.  I've been drafting him at the end of best balls hoping for a big payoff.
He's not going to unseat OBJ or Jarvis Landry so he's vying for WR 3 reps with Hollywood Higgins who has been getting open/separation and has an established chemistry with Baker.

FWIW DPJ is getting 1st team PT with OBJ being held back in camp.  

The Browns had their annual inter-squad practice/scrimmage and DPJ was working with the 1s, OBJ didn't see the field and I wouldn't expect him to see any action in the preseason.  Higgins caught a TD in the scrimmage as did TEs Harrison Bryant and David Njoku who each caught a pair.  

No NFL teams are showing their hand in the preseason so we don't know how things will shake out once the season begins but Hunt and Chubb will be featured and the TEs are a big part of the run game and it 'looks' like Njoku and Harrison Bryant are looking more reliable with their hands and will be used at the GL, all of that impacts WR 3 reps/use.  I do think talent rises and that DPJ has talent and he'll get a shot to showcase it at 'some point' this year.  

Buy low opportunity but 'probably' not now when he is creating a buzz.  I think it will die down as the season unfolds till he  gets his shot.

Users who are viewing this thread