Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockaction

Rock Action's Newbie IDP Thread

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone. Rock Action here. I'm new to IDP this year, and I was clogging up another thread talking about it, so I figured I'd just make a catch-all about my experiences as a new IDP player. What makes me important? Nothing, really. Just verbosity and time, I guess. And curiosity about the new format I'm in. Let this sort of be a catch-all or open thread to let meandering conversations happen that relate to my team but don't deserve either their own thread or taking another off-topic.

Thanks in advance for your patience. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest that starting a new thread for newbie questions, concerns, thoughts, etc would be a good idea.  It would be nice to bring in as many as possible into this IDP world to maybe get some better resources.  

 

It is a double edged sword though, part of the greatness of IDP is that it's hard to find info.  If it becomes too many stream then it will become like the offensive side with everyone easily finding cheatsheets and nothing is worked for. 

 

Welcome and ask away.  There are  a lot of quality posters in this forum. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you could share your roster? Its important to balance the quality ofthis year's draft against what you need for IDP.

Remember, many great defensive players are picked up on waivers every season. For instance, I never draft DB and I always have great stats from this position each week. LB needs more luck on the wire and a stud drafted in round 2 can make huge numbers for a team for 10+ years.

Im my experience the off season wire (if open) is a great placve to find DL sleeps for next season.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^ Adding to that, the starting lineup requirements matter, too. If you start 11 offensive players but only 9 IDPs it will reduce the value of the IDP side some.

(Really, for anyone adding their own newbie Qs, lineup and roster size always matter.)

If you run 3DL 3LB 3DB as mentioned in the other thread, you probably already know that really means 3DEs (preferably 4-3 DE except the few uberstud 3-4 DEs; never DT), 3 ILB/MLB (except the few uberstud WLB), and 3 SS. Don't be like me in my first ever IDP startup draft and draft Kerrigan / Orakpo / etc. lol

Also, be sure to check out the 3 down Linebacker discussions here (when we get closer to the season) and elsewhere. ILB & MLB only matter if they stay on the field for passing downs.

Edited by Flying Elvis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

^ Adding to that, the starting lineup requirements matter, too. If you start 11 offensive players but only 9 IDPs it will reduce the value of the IDP side some.

(Really, for anyone adding their own newbie Qs, lineup and roster size always matter.)

If you run 3DL 3LB 3DB as mentioned in the other thread, you probably already know that really means 3DEs (preferably 4-3 DE except the few uberstud 3-4 DEs; never DT), 3 ILB/MLB (except the few uberstud WLB), and 3 SS. Don't be like me in my first ever IDP startup draft and draft Kerrigan / Orakpo / etc. lol

Also, be sure to check out the 3 down Linebacker discussions here (when we get closer to the season) and elsewhere. ILB & MLB only matter if they stay on the field for passing downs.

This is very dependent upon scoring (speaking in general terms for other newbies reading this).  In big play scoring guys like Kerrigan can be studs and if you have a league that boosts DT scoring to make them more relevant that will also change the DL distribution. 

 

In tackle heavy scoring (per the OP) then the bolded is great advice......

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note your scoring and find relative value of IDPs when factoring where to draft  IDPs.

In our league the top 2 to 3 LBers score as much as a high-end #2 RB but many fail to take blue-chip rookie LBers anywhere near as high as they do rookie RBs who fail at a high rate.  

Don't bother to draft rookie DBs since you can grab them on the wire once the season starts.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I've had a busy couple of days so I'm just starting to see your responses. Thanks to anybody who chimed in -- they were all helpful in either clarifying or making new points. Per two or three suggestions, I'm listing my roster below.

The scoring requirements are tackle-heavy. For DEs it's 2 pt. solo tackle, 1 for an assist, 2 for a sack, 1 pt. per assisted sack, 1 pt. Qb hit. For LBs it's .75 every 1/2 tackle, 1 pt. every 1/2 sack. For DBs it's 1.5 per 1/2 sack, .875 pts. per 1/2 tackle.

Given some of the comments, I should say that we start nine offensive players, nine defensive guys. The defensive side of the ball is very important. I broke down a spreadsheet of each of the top four tiers for each respective position and total points scored in 2019 and made a spreadsheet. I omitted quarterbacks and tight ends for some reason. Any help in uploading the sheet while retaining my anonymity would be a huge boon. I will look into it myself, of course, but anyone who has a quick tutorial or tip would be greatly appreciated. Quick note: My roster was inherited. Please don't slam the guy too hard for weaknesses, as this is now public. Defensive Back is probably the greatest strength on defense that he left me with. It's hard to quibble with some of those guys, age notwithstanding. 

I should also say that I've read several pieces on which positions to focus on, as Flying Elvis points out. There were two older FBG articles, IDP Guru, and other stuff I've read and printed out. I generally have an okay feel for who and when, even if it's not something I can recount at first blush.

Defensive Line (DE/DT) - Start 3

Joseph, Linval MIN - DT

Wilkins, Christian MIA - DT

Allen, Zach ARI - DE

Bennett, Michael DAL- DE

Brockers, Michael LAR - DE

Clowney, Jadeveon SEA - DE

Ford, Dee SFO - DE

Irvin, Bruce CAR - DE

Pierre-Paul, Jason TBB - DE

Linebackers - Start 3

Kerrigan, Ryan WAS LB

Klein, A.J. NOS LB

Mercilus, Whitney HOU LB

Ragland, Reggie KCC LB

Wake, Cameron TEN LB

Defensive Backs - Start 3

Jenkins, Janoris NOS CB

Sherman, Richard SFO CB

Ward, Denzel CLE CB

Adderley, Nasir LAC S

Joyner, Lamarcus LVR S

Mathieu, Tyrann KCC S

Smith, Harrison MIN S

Vaccaro, Kenny TEN S

Walker, Tracy DET S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy. You got some work to do.
 

Is your draft rookie only or vets too ?

 

Would be good to see your league fa list ? When does waivers open ?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, scothawk said:

Oh boy. You got some work to do.

Yep. My linebackers are hurting, especially.

Draft is rookie only. eight RFAs per team upon which to spend, plus rosters of forty for the off-season. Waivers, I believe, open around the time free agency in the NFL opens. It's still a week and a half away, but March 16th is the deadline for cuts and trimming the roster to forty. 

Yeah, I don't think I can get you the FA list as I needed permission to get into the league and see all the stuff. Suffice it to say that there isn't much on the wire, and I've combed it a bit. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yep. My linebackers are hurting, especially.

Draft is rookie only. eight RFAs per team upon which to spend, plus rosters of forty for the off-season. Waivers, I believe, open around the time free agency in the NFL opens. It's still a week and a half away, but March 16th is the deadline for cuts and trimming the roster to forty. 

Yeah, I don't think I can get you the FA list as I needed permission to get into the league and see all the stuff. Suffice it to say that there isn't much on the wire, and I've combed it a bit. 

How many do you have to cut?  You can drop all but 3 or 4 DB's.  No need to carry that many.  Your LB and DB numbers should be flip flopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gally said:

How many do you have to cut?  You can drop all but 3 or 4 DB's.  No need to carry that many.  Your LB and DB numbers should be flip flopped.

Indeed. And the waiver wire/free agent pool will have players ahead of who I cut at DB. 

Right now, players to add are locked so I haven't dropped just to drop yet. I plan on trying to bid on three or four FA LBs to at least begin to address the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd leave the league.  That roster is putrid.  No coming back from that.  I'd like to see your offensive players as well.  If those guys stink too, you're just a donator my friend.

You're entire defensive roster is waiver wire fodder except for:  Mathieu, Smith and Irvin (kinda). 

Edited by Wooters
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, rockaction said:

Yep. My linebackers are hurting, especially.

Draft is rookie only. eight RFAs per team upon which to spend, plus rosters of forty for the off-season. Waivers, I believe, open around the time free agency in the NFL opens. It's still a week and a half away, but March 16th is the deadline for cuts and trimming the roster to forty. 

Yeah, I don't think I can get you the FA list as I needed permission to get into the league and see all the stuff. Suffice it to say that there isn't much on the wire, and I've combed it a bit. 

So, this is a Zealots league?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, northern exposure said:

So, this is a Zealots league?

Yeah, it is. I'm doing this out of love for it. 

11 hours ago, Wooters said:

I'd leave the league.  That roster is putrid.  No coming back from that.  I'd like to see your offensive players as well.  If those guys stink too, you're just a donator my friend.

You're entire defensive roster is waiver wire fodder except for:  Mathieu, Smith and Irvin (kinda)

Oh, I'm not making any payments but for administration. I do it out of love. I'm thinking there's a coming back from it even if the entire D is waiver wire. Walker from Detroit finished in the top ten in points last year. No reason he can't again. Sadly, your assessment of the rest is right. I'm going with Clowney and Paul next year at DE, though. Anyway, the guy that had this team actually won three last year. I also hold 1.01 and 2.01 and down this rookie draft.  I'm looking at being passable on offense and see what happens in free agency and draft on defense.  Right now, my QB is Mahomes, my RB roster would be Elliott, Gordon, Guice, Drake, Harris, Hyde. Receivers include J. Jones, Godwin, and Boyd. TE is Howard, Brate, Everett. After that it gets really weak.

I'm trying to move Jones and Guice for Mostert, Chark, and Diontae Johnson to get younger while still remaining competitive. That would leave my top four receivers under 25, my top three RBs 27U. We will see if the guy takes the offer. 

But don't forget, it's a league done not out money, but of simply hobby and appreciation for the curation of the players. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone ran away from bad rosters then dynasty leagues would only have 6 teams.

There is actually some fun in turning the thing around as opposed to takign over someone else's championship team and tickign 22 boxes every week.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the comments, even those telling me I'm sunk. I appreciate nothing more so than honesty. I'll give reasons why I might not agree, but it's best at this stage to get input and try to process it as best as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's much harder to turn around crappy offensive players then it is for defensive players.  Not gonna lie, you'll struggle to get quality defensive line cause they tend to be few and far between.  But linebackers turn over at a decent rate and defensive backs you can find starters on the waiver wire every year (especially in tackle heavy leagues).  Once you have a handle on your defensive scoring and can identify the players/schemes that fit into it, you can turn around the defense quickly.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2020 at 2:54 PM, ridicule said:

It's much harder to turn around crappy offensive players then it is for defensive players.  Not gonna lie, you'll struggle to get quality defensive line cause they tend to be few and far between.  But linebackers turn over at a decent rate and defensive backs you can find starters on the waiver wire every year (especially in tackle heavy leagues).  Once you have a handle on your defensive scoring and can identify the players/schemes that fit into it, you can turn around the defense quickly.   

Thanks. I've already cast a wide net on free agent LBs, age be damned, so that I might be able to do a quick turnaround.

I've identified schemes and players that were hurt last year early, dropped, and were available as well as guys sitting on the wire for no reason. Right now I'm going to win an auction on either Benardrick McKinney or A.J. Johnson, two relatively young tackle monsters for Houston and Denver, respectively. I picked up Dont'a Hightower for 3% of budget and picked up Connelly from the NYG and Cashman from the NYJ for about 1 and 3%, respectively. I picked up Burgess, who started with the Jets while Mosley and Cashman were out and racked up respectable numbers in FA for about 2%. He's a free agent in the NFL. I also might pick up K.J. Wright as a throw-in in a trade. I know he's 30, but I don't particularly care when what I'm looking at is my roster as presently constructed. 

I plan on picking up the DBs later on the wire and have four workable ones right now.

DEs I have really nothing to show for and will be at a disadvantage unless Clowney gets back to form, which I think he will given his core surgery.  Pierre-Paul, while aging also had a nice point year for TB, who re-signed him to a two-year deal. Again, I'm just looking to keep pace with leaguemates, not dominate or beat them on defense. 

Thoughts roll in my head. I should say I'm just trying to make this defensive unit passable per game so that I can win games with my offense, which is admittedly not deep at WR. It's the picks I have that will make or break me this year. I might want to try and trade the 1.01 and 2.01 for the 1.06, 1.07, 2.04, and 2.06, but we'll see if the other owner and myself see that as a good match.  If I had 1.06 and 1.07, I'd take Simmons and Young, scheme permitting, and really turn the defense around. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should lose every game this year.  Get the 1.01 next year.  Trade all your picks this year for 2021 picks.  Trade all your assets that are older, and will be on downside of career in 3 years for 2021 picks.  Build your team around 2021 players such as Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne and Justyn Ross.  Taking Simmons at 1.06 or 1.07 is a terrible mistake.  And trading the 1,01 and 2.01 for 1,06, 1.07, 2.04 and 2.06 isn't a good enough deal for you.  Your team will be stuck in mediocrity hell forever if you try to compete this yea and end up winning 5 games by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wooters said:

You should lose every game this year.  Get the 1.01 next year.  Trade all your picks this year for 2021 picks.  Trade all your assets that are older, and will be on downside of career in 3 years for 2021 picks.  Build your team around 2021 players such as Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne and Justyn Ross.  Taking Simmons at 1.06 or 1.07 is a terrible mistake.  And trading the 1,01 and 2.01 for 1,06, 1.07, 2.04 and 2.06 isn't a good enough deal for you.  Your team will be stuck in mediocrity hell forever if you try to compete this yea and end up winning 5 games by mistake.

I completely disagree with this.  Things change quick and a few quality evaluations and things going right turn things around quickly.  You don't have to throw away a season.  The teams I have seen try and do this seem to always be rebuilding.  

 

Look at 2 yr windows.  Play for this year and next.  You can find bargains this way.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Gally said:

Look at 2 yr windows.  Play for this year and next.  You can find bargains this way.  

That's exactly what I'm doing. 2-3 yrs.

I acquired K.J. Wright on defense to go with Avery Williamson and Dont'a Hightower. One of McKinney or Johnson should also be won in a player auction for FAs. 

I now have a linebacking core consisting of K.J. Wright, Dont'a Hightower, Connelly from NYG, Cashman and Williamson from the NYJ, and Burgess, along with A.J. Klein and Whintey Mercilus and Reggie Ragland, the last three of which are weak, I know. Replacement players? Probably. But that's all I'm looking for.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the moves, and the consideration of pick trading. Definitely makes more sense to wait on landing spots before moving 1.01 at this point, though. 

I will also caution that NE IDPs are damn near impossible to start on a weekly basis. Too many packages run on/off the field based on situation and nobody seems to get that 85+ % of snaps like LBs and DEs get elsewhere in the league. Hightower is ok depth, at best. Only S/CB has ever held value but that could change with no Brady and a more conservative offensive scheme so it's possible volume favors the NE IDPs this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, Flying Elvis said:

I like the moves, and the consideration of pick trading. Definitely makes more sense to wait on landing spots before moving 1.01 at this point, though. 

I will also caution that NE IDPs are damn near impossible to start on a weekly basis. Too many packages run on/off the field based on situation and nobody seems to get that 85+ % of snaps like LBs and DEs get elsewhere in the league. Hightower is ok depth, at best. Only S/CB has ever held value but that could change with no Brady and a more conservative offensive scheme so it's possible volume favors the NE IDPs this year. 

Thanks, Flying Elvis. I'm certainly waiting on landing spots. The landing spot of two guys in particular, Taylor and Swift, will determine whether I hold a lottery ticket or not IMHO.  As far as Hightower, there wasn't much auction money spent, so I am considering him depth/spot start material. I had read about NE and their packages, which I think Flores is bringing to Miami. But it helps to have it concretized with your posting.

In other news, Burgess resigned with the Jets and Williamson, who is often rated in the top 30 IDP Dynasty LBs, might get cut by them. So that's news on that front. McKinney is really the target at LB right now.

In addition, not out of youth, but I was able to get Justin Houston in FA. He scored a ton of points last year and was available probably due to age. But I'll take it. I now have Dee Ford, Jadeveon Clowney, and Justin Houston lined up at DL. I'm also bidding on Kenny Clark of GBP as we speak, though I don't think I'll get him at the rate I can spend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 4:47 AM, rockaction said:

I'm thinking there's a coming back from it even if the entire D is waiver wire.

I agree completely.  You can make a killing in training camps by snagging safeties and surprise LBs on bad teams.  DE is tougher, but that's where you're not really in that bad of shape if JPP keeps all his body parts and Clowney stays DE.

There are waiver wire surprises on the last weekend of training camp every year.  I cycled through so many guys last season, got a lot of decent weeks from them, and found a couple of keepers.

Guys I picked up off waivers in Zealots last season:

  • Addison, Mario CAR DE
  • Allen, Ricardo ATL S
  • Alonso, Kiko NOS LB
  • Armstead, Arik SFO DE
  • Barton, Cody SEA LB
  • Beasley, Vic ATL DE
  • Bennett, Michael DAL DE
  • Bentley, Ja'Whaun NEP LB
  • Blair, Marquise SEA S
  • Bostic, Jon WAS LB
  • Bullard, Jonathan ARI DE
  • Burgess, James NYJ LB
  • Clark, Chuck BAL S
  • Connelly, Ryan NYG LB
  • Davis, Sean PIT S
  • Davis, Tae CLE LB
  • Davis, Thomas LAC LB
  • Diggs, Quandre SEA S
  • Eguavoen, Sam MIA LB
  • Gerry, Nate PHI LB
  • Greene, Raven GBP S
  • Grugier-Hill, Kamu PHI LB
  • Hewitt, Neville NYJ LB
  • Holcomb, Cole WAS LB
  • Ishmael, Kemal ATL LB
  • Johnson, A.J. DEN LB
  • Jones, Reshad MIA S
  • Joseph, Karl OAK S
  • Kazee, Damontae ATL CB
  • Kwiatkoski, Nick CHI LB
  • Lawson, Carl CIN DE
  • Mayowa, Benson OAK DE
  • McCourty, Devin NEP S
  • McDougald, Bradley SEA S
  • McKinley, Takkarist ATL DE
  • McLeod, Rodney PHI S
  • Morrow, Nicholas OAK LB
  • Nicholson, Montae WAS S
  • Okafor, Alex KCC DE
  • Okereke, Bobby IND LB
  • Payne, Donald JAC LB
  • Randall, Damarious CLE S
  • Redwine, Sheldrick CLE S
  • Swearinger, D.J. NOS S
  • Takitaki, Sione CLE LB
  • Teamer, Roderic LAC S
  • Thomas, Chad CLE DE
  • Thomas, Earl BAL S
  • Thompson, Deionte ARI S
  • Thompson, Jalen ARI CB
  • Turay, Kemoko IND DE
  • White, Kyzir LAC LB
  • Whitehead, Jordan TBB S
  • Williams, Quincy JAC LB
  • Willis, Khari IND S
  • Wilson, Damien KCC LB
  • Wilson, Tavon DET S
  • Ximines, Oshane NYG DE
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tick said:

I agree completely.  You can make a killing in training camps by snagging safeties and surprise LBs on bad teams.  DE is tougher, but that's where you're not really in that bad of shape if JPP keeps all his body parts and Clowney stays DE.

There are waiver wire surprises on the last weekend of training camp every year.  I cycled through so many guys last season, got a lot of decent weeks from them, and found a couple of keepers.

Guys I picked up off waivers in Zealots last season:

I won't quote the whole thing for space concerns, but that's a heck of a list of guys that you picked up off of waivers. Armstead jumps out right away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now this looks like my defensive side of the ball after free agency. Start three from each category. Zealots IDP league. The bell curve of roster spots taken looks better than the original. It's an old roster for sure, but that's what was available. Players in bold font are my additions through free agency and one trade that included K.J. Wright. 

DT/DE

Richardson, Sheldon CLE DT
Wilkins, Christian MIA DT
Allen, Zach ARI DE
Bennett, Michael DAL
Brockers, Michael LAR DE
Clowney, Jadeveon FA DE
Ford, Dee SFO DE
Houston, Justin IND DE
Irvin, Bruce SEA DE
Pierre-Paul, Jason TBB DE

LB

Burgess, James NYJ LB
Cashman, Blake NYJ LB
Connelly, Ryan NYG LB
Hightower, Dont'a NEP LB

Kerrigan, Ryan WAS LB
Klein, A.J. BUF LB
Lee, Sean DAL LB
McKinney, Benardrick HOU LB

Mercilus, Whitney HOU LB
Morrow, Nicholas LVR LB
Ragland, Reggie DET LB
Williamson, Avery NYJ LB
Wright, K.J. SEA LB

S/CB

Adderley, Nasir LAC S
Mathieu, Tyrann KCC S
Smith, Harrison MIN S
Vaccaro, Kenny TEN S
Walker, Tracy DET S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as LB goes, and the bulge in the bell curve, I personally think that if roles stay the same as last year and the year before, that McKinney, Morrow, Williamson, and Wright are my mainstays at linebacker. Blake Cashman was a starter before he went down, so we'll see what that holds for the Jets, who run a 3-4. Mosley will be back, so spots are limited further and Williamson looks like the odd man out given the Jets signing of the former Raven Onwausor.

Per articles, there's a logjam for the Jets. https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/who-will-be-the-odd-man-out-in-the-jets-linebackers-logjam/313137038

The rest are depth like Hightower (someone that Flying Elvis pointed out was depth) and Ryan Connelly (started as a rookie before going down with an ACL tear but Martinez signed with the Giants, so I'm unsure of his role at ILB - see the blurb below):

"All injuries hurt, but perhaps none on the Giants hurt more than the one suffered by rookie inside linebacker Ryan Connelly. Connelly was inserted into the starting lineup after Week 1, and in three games, he racked up 20 total tackles, 10 of which were solo, 1 sack, two tackles for a loss, one quarterback hit, and two interceptions in just 187 defensive snaps."

Sean Lee (If Vander Esch can't stay on the field, Lee looks to take his spot like I believe he did last year, in my thinking) is also another to consider. Vander Esch's neck is awfully suspect, and GB the young man, but it's tough to watch him play knowing his human frailty. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a PPR league? You have overloaded your roster with IDPs imo. You have 28 roster spots taken up by IDPs with a max roster size of 60 at this point in the off season. So, you start 9 IDPs and 9 offensive starters and you only have 32 roster spots (max) available for non-IDP players. As Tick pointed out with his post,  viable starting IDPs can be had via waivers throughout the season, you don't have to load up on them now. As Tick also mentioned, there are always surprise IDP starters that appear during and after training camp. 

Now would be the time I would be bidding on offensive RFAs and adding offensive fliers to my roster. I would not load up on IDPs this early in the off season. I would be looking to cut 4-6 DLs and LBs from your current roster and focus on adding offensive players. I'm not sure which RFAs you could still bid on in your league and which FAs could be bid on that aren't currently rostered. But, that is the route I would go.

I assume you have all 6 of your rookie draft picks, so you will need roster space for them too.

Edited by northern exposure
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, northern exposure said:

Is this a PPR league? You have overloaded your roster with IDPs imo. You have 28 roster spots taken up by IDPs with a max roster size of 60 at this point in the off season. So, you start 9 IDPs and 9 offensive starters and you only have 32 roster spots (max) available for non-IDP players. As Tick pointed out with his post,  viable starting IDPs can be had via waivers throughout the season, you don't have to load up on them now. As Tick also mentioned, there are always surprise IDP starters that appear during and after training camp. 

Now would be the time I would be bidding on offensive RFAs and adding offensive fliers to my roster. I would not load up on IDPs this early in the off season. I would be looking to cut 4-6 DLs and LBs from your current roster and focus on adding offensive players. I'm not sure which RFAs you could still bid on in your league and which FAs could be bid on that aren't currently rostered. But, that is the route I would go.

I assume you have all 6 of your rookie draft picks, so you will need roster space for them too.

It's a PPR league. Yes. Thanks so much for your input. That's a great help. I had a notion about the exact same thing, but I'm waiting for enough of the guys to suss out before I really make cuts. Our draft isn't until May 1st and may even get pushed back, I'd think, if the NFL pushes theirs back because of COVID-19, so I have time. 

There were one or two distinct offensive flyers that got away from me. Josh Reynolds of LA and Jordan Wilkins of IND. Justin Jackson slipped by also. Most of the guys I've bid no more than 3% of budget on, the back-breaker being McKinney at about 33%.

My offense in a start nine ( 1 QB/1 RB/2 WR/1 TE/4 FLEX) and looks like this, though. I added the bolded through trade or FA. It's about as good as you can get at QB aside from L. Jackson and K. Murray; it's not a bad RB group according to ADP and the like; it's a very thin WR corps. 

QB

Pat Mahomes - KC
Drew Lock - DEN
Cam Newton - FA
Chad Kelly - IND
Josh Rosen - MIA

RB - start one at least

Ezekiel Elliott - DAL
Kenyan Drake - ARZ
Melvin Gordon - DEN
Raheem Mostert - SF
Matt Breida - RFA SF
Jonathan Williams - IND
Mike Boone - MIN
Damien Harris - NEP
Carlos Hyde - FA

WR - start two at least

Chris Godwin - TB
D.J. Chark - JAX
Tyler Boyd - CIN
Erickson, Alex - CIN 
Gordon, Josh - FA
Harry, N'Keal - NEP
Quinn, Trey - WAS
Smith, Tre'Quan - NOS
St. Brown, Equanimeous - GBP
Wims, Javon CHI - WR
Watson, Justin - TBB

TE - start one

Nick Boyle - BAL
O.J. Howard - TBB
Cameron Brate - TBB
Gerald Everett - LAR
Mo Alie-Cox - IND

I realize I'll have to cut down to make weight for the draft. I have 1.01 - 6.01 with 4.06, too. It shouldn't be that hard. I already have guys in mind that are just taking up space and should get down to 53 with no problem. 

I have two potential trades out that flesh the offense out a bit with more players. I know giving up a stud for two is not the way to go, but I think there's value in certain players that aren't being valued correctly.

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like you are currently sitting with the max roster size of 60 and your offensive talent looks better than I expected. You aren't in bad shape at all. I assume the majority of quality RFAs have been snapped up, so now you can just wait for the draft. As you identified you have great QBs and RBs, but are a little thin at WR. Luckily this year's crop of rookies are deep at WR. I don't see a every week starting TE on your roster though. That might be something to address.  Overall you are sitting pretty well. I wouldn't rush out and make any trades now, the key for you will be patience. 

Edited by northern exposure
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

It looks like you are currently sitting with the max roster size of 60 and your offensive talent looks better than I expected. You aren't in bad shape at all. I assume the majority of quality RFAs have been snapped up, so now you can just wait for the draft. As you identified you have great QBs and RBs, but are a little thin at WR. Luckily this year's crop of rookies are deep at WR. I don't see a every week starting TE on your roster though. That might be something to address.  Overall you are sitting pretty well. I wouldn't rush out and make any trades now, the key for you will be patience. 

I agree with this, though like I said, I did offer two trades and I generally think a new franchise revoking trade offers is bad for business, so they'll have to stand. I have used three dynasty trade calcs to make sure they're not too lopsided, and they've been done by need for each franchise, so...

we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the roster sits at 58. Very close, but enough to accommodate one trade and I'll cut two if necessary for the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few things in some sorta particular order:

*Guys like Burgess and Morrow are the types to pursue in-season. Not now. Sure, if favorable camp reports surface or unfavorable ones for those in front of them on the depth chart pop up then pounce. But they're not good players that only would be useful under a particular set of circumstances. And even then they are not trustworthy options. And it's in the range of potential outcomes that neither is on their respective roster week 1. Morrow was effectively replaced by Kwiatkowski and Littleton. Burgess by LB's that were already on the team - they were just injured last year.

*Cuffing a Cashman to a Williamson in a leeg this deep is smart. I recommend trying to do the same with Barton/BBK to Wright, especially because Seattle may split w/Wright after the season.

*But even in the best case scenario Sean Lee's not playing a 3 down role barring multiple injuries in front of him.

*I don't think the ship has sailed on Ryan Connelly, but the Giants prioritizing Blake Martinez says one thing about how they feel about him - and there's also the high likelihood that his GM gets canned at season's end. He strikes me as the type that could eventually become useful, but I think the most likely scenario is 2022 and on a different team.

*Hightower is a good add for this particular team. You never want to start him, but if you're in a jam (and you could be with this depth chart) he's the type you can throw in there and hope you got him on a good week.

*As you said, your depth chart is old. That's a very delicate dance on the IDP side of the ball. You don't necessarily want too much youth because then it'd be at the expense of your offense, but you definitely need more darts with a high likelihood of hitting. The problem is with this particular draft you really don't want to spend a top 15 pick on anything but RB or WR. I think you can rule out LB here with plans on picking a tier 2 guy at 3.1. Chase Young is a predicament though. Not just because of what he offers, but that there really aren't any other DE's that inspire any sort of short term confidence behind him - and your DL isn't good. If you had strong WR depth I'd be more tempted to say eff it and pass on them in favor of need, but you don't. 

*I'd plan on a RB at 1.1...and I would pool all of my resources to try and get another pick sometime in the middle of the 2nd round. Pick Young at 2.1, get in on the WR goodness in the middle of the 2nd, then figure the rest out after that is accomplished. While I mentioned wanting to pick a LB at 3.1 above (it comes with risk) but I think there's a reasonable possibility you'd be able to acquire a LB from that same tier 5-12 picks later.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I'd plan on a RB at 1.1...and I would pool all of my resources to try and get another pick sometime in the middle of the 2nd round. Pick Young at 2.1, get in on the WR goodness in the middle of the 2nd, then figure the rest out after that is accomplished. While I mentioned wanting to pick a LB at 3.1 above (it comes with risk) but I think there's a reasonable possibility you'd be able to acquire a LB from that same tier 5-12 picks later.

These are all great thoughts above. I can't stress how blown away I am by you, northern exposure, Flying Elvis, the whole lot of you guys taking time to help me.

So let's get down to feedback on the feedback. Burgess and the wasted auction bucks (6 out of 304). He got replaced by the Raven after I chased him. Until then, he was competing for ILB with Cashman, and came so cheaply. I went for it. I have one quibble: Williamson is likely a cut or restructure candidate. You know I follow the Jets. That's what I've been reading. That's the best I can suss out. As for LVR, Morrow is out the barn, as it were. You're right. I went by the projections given by Fantasy Sharks. He didn't cost more than six bucks, either. I've been playing catch-up with knowing the defensive side of the ball for the league. I'm going to slip. Sean Lee cost a buck, though. The slips haven't killed me. I overpaid for McKinney. I think I went to $110 at auction. That's a lot. Mea culpa on getting into a bidding war.

As for the draft, I was going to scrap the idea of spending a top 15 on defense. I've been doing mocks where I keep my original position and draft 1.01 and onward. Then I do mocks where I trade down and out of 1.01 and 2.01, pick up picks 1.06, 1.07, 2.04 and 2.06 from one owner in my league, and I've ascertained what will be there when I pick. I like the spot that trading down gives me. I'm going to pursue it after the draft with vigor. I'm not counting on agreement for trading down, though. I've certainly done my diligence on the 1.01. It's likely Swift depending on his landing spot. That's who I think is the best pure player in the draft outside of Ruggs III. Ruggs III and Swift will flip flop in my head. I get images of Ruggs III streaking downfield. I'm a sucker for speed at WR. You'll see me in other threads loving T. Hill, W. Fuller, greatly overvaluing K. Stills, etc. It's not going away, this need for the game stretcher that I have. T. Hill looks like a joystick controls him. Enough.

I was going 3.1 at LB, but you seem not to agree with that. I thought, after the auctions, my DL would generally be passable this upcoming year, if old. The only guys that average way above what I figure to be getting are Tier I guys. Clowney, Pierre-Paul, Houston, Ford, and Richardson all average Tier II years when healthy. Paul actually average Tier I. Tier One guys (guys in the top twelve) average 10.1 PPG the past two years in our system, the Tier II guys (the next twelve) average about 9 PPG. That's something that I looked into. The top five guys overall average 12.2 PPG, and that's where the disparity comes in. Playing a Bosa or Garrett or their ilk with a Clowney. (As Eminem would say, that's like comparing Dre to a Dupri.)

Regarding this last quoted one, I have no idea what resources to pull together to swing a mid 2nd that'd be worth it, though. I have very little on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, think thin. My quick thought is to work a trade amenable to me and the other owner: I could try and deal Melvin Gordon for someone I covet plus a second-rounder. Perfect example: Kareem Hunt and a mid-2nd, which holds a trade calculator value that is nearly even to Gordon's, but then that particular owner doesn't have a second. I could try and deal Gordon for a piece and a second, but that's going to be tough. Gordon's value slides every day. It's going to take game scores to bump him back up at the age of twenty-seven. It seems easy to say "pick up a second rounder." It's like the old refrain about baseball and that "second starter" that SABR guys began to debunk in the mid-90s. If it were a toss-off, all teams would do it. 

But your feedback is wonderfully appreciated. Truly. Thanks for taking the time, MAC_32. You're a mensch for looking at someone's roster and really thinking about it. Bravo.

Peace,

RA

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of moving backwards. 

The reason why I think Chase Young would be such a great get for your team is exactly what you said about Bosa and Garrett. He may be better than them. And he's at the very least in their neighborhood. None of your other guys are or ever will be. They're fine 2's, but 1's they are not. 

If you can move down and get 4 picks in the top 20, use one on Chase and three on offense, then come back with LB at 3.1 I think you will have done well for yourself. 

Btw, you didnt over pay for McKinney. You needed starters. He is one. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I like the idea of moving backwards. 

The reason why I think Chase Young would be such a great get for your team is exactly what you said about Bosa and Garrett. He may be better than them. And he's at the very least in their neighborhood. None of your other guys are or ever will be. They're fine 2's, but 1's they are not. 

If you can move down and get 4 picks in the top 20, use one on Chase and three on offense, then come back with LB at 3.1 I think you will have done well for yourself. 

Btw, you didnt over pay for McKinney. You needed starters. He is one. 

Ah, I was unaware you were advocating for Young. He's definitely who I would target if I could get 1.06 and 1.07. I'd go Ruggs III (I know. He didn't break out. He may not ever be a fantasy scorer. The highlights show me something astounding in the young man with his hands and speed.) and Young back-to-back if they were still there and be done with it. I did the research on our league and a difference maker on defense last year went 1.06, so they go. Not as heavily as they should, though. Young might make it to me at 2.01. I have a tough decision if he does. I'm really thin at WR, as you note, so passing on a Mims or Pittman, Jr. might be tough. I'm hoping the draft comes and the owner (who holds three first-rounders) gets antsy and wants the 1.01.

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free agency isn't over yet.  Some recent late-FA pickups I've made that might be available in your league, and might be upgrades on some of your guys:

  • Akiem Hicks (in 2 leagues - not sure why he was still on the wire)
  • BJ Goodson (CLE lost all their LBs, he might go 3 downs if the second-year guys aren't ready)
  • Oshane Ximines (could get LB reps at DE designation?)
  • Emmanuel Ogbah (could get LB reps at DE designation?)
  • Juston Burris (listed at CB, I see him in articles as the current Panthers SS though)
  • Duron Harmon (DET SS has been pretty productive, he's currently their SS)
  • Andrew Sendejo (CLE LBs stink, either Joseph or Sendejo could clean up)
  • Micah Kiser (could be Littleton replacement)
  • Jatavis Brown (might be a 3-down MLB?)
  • Sean Davis (not sure where he and Collins line up)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockaction said:

Ah, I was unaware you were advocating for Young. He's definitely who I would target if I could get 1.06 and 1.07. I'd go Ruggs III (I know. He didn't break out. He may not ever be a fantasy scorer. The highlights show me something astounding in the young man with his hands and speed.) and Young back-to-back if they were still there and be done with it. I did the research on our league and a difference maker on defense last year went 1.06, so they go. Not as heavily as they should, though. Young might make it to me at 2.01. I have a tough decision if he does. I'm really thin at WR, as you note, so passing on a Mims or Pittman, Jr. might be tough. I'm hoping the draft comes and the owner (who holds three first-rounders) gets antsy and wants the 1.01.

I just can't see taking a DE that high.  I've always been able to fill in just fine with waiver wire guys and trades.  In a draft this deep on offense, I couldn't do it.  Pre-draft, I'd put ahead of any IDP:

  • Taylor, Swift
  • Jeudy, Lamb
  • Akers, Dobbins, CEH
  • Raegor, Jefferson, Mims, Shenault, Higgins, Ruggs, Moss

I'd start considering him somewhere in the next tier with guys like Johnson, Edwards, Vaughn, Aiyuk, Benjamin.  Who knows how the draft shakes these guys up, though.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tick said:

Free agency isn't over yet.  Some recent late-FA pickups I've made that might be available in your league, and might be upgrades on some of your guys:

  • Akiem Hicks
  • BJ Goodson (potential three-down LB)
  • Oshane Ximines (LB reps at DE or DT)
  • Emmanuel Ogbah
  • Juston Burris (CB listing, maybe SS)
  • Duron Harmon (CB listing, maybe SS)
  • Andrew Sendejo
  • Micah Kiser
  • Jatavis Brown (potential three-down LB)
  • Sean Davis

Thanks so much, Tick. The guys in bold font are available. I've bid on Goodson and Brown. I will bid on Ximines next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tick said:

I just can't see taking a DE that high.  I've always been able to fill in just fine with waiver wire guys and trades.  In a draft this deep on offense, I couldn't do it.  Pre-draft, I'd put ahead of any IDP:

  • Taylor, Swift
  • Jeudy, Lamb
  • Akers, Dobbins, CEH
  • Raegor, Jefferson, Mims, Shenault, Higgins, Ruggs, Moss

I'd start considering him somewhere in the next tier with guys like Johnson, Edwards, Vaughn, Aiyuk, Benjamin.  Who knows how the draft shakes these guys up, though.

 

Thanks again. I'm trying to navigate exactly how where the positional VBD falls with these positions which is why I traced the average points scored in our league per position over the past two years like the articles at FBG told me to do. Get a lay of the land for many points are scored per position. I think if Young outscores the average DL by three or so, there's value there, but I take your point. I'm thin at WR. If it was 1.06 and 1.07 I could see going WR/WR given my roster. If it's 1.01/2.01 I'm likely going RB/WR, depending on who I'm sold on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Thanks again. I'm trying to navigate exactly how where the positional VBD falls with these positions which is why I traced the average points scored in our league per position over the past two years like the articles at FBG told me to do. Get a lay of the land for many points are scored per position. I think if Young outscores the average DL by three or so, there's value there, but I take your point. I'm thin at WR. If it was 1.06 and 1.07 I could see going WR/WR given my roster. If it's 1.01/2.01 I'm likely going RB/WR, depending on who I'm sold on. 

It's hard to apply VBD to dynasty, and to IDP.  It's just a lot more common on the IDP side for a guy's value to completely tank due to a scheme shift.

I might be in the minority, though.  I don't think I've seen any good studies of the value of IDPs as draft picks from a historical value perspective.  I'd love to see someone like JJ Zachariason really dig into it to see how early-pick IDPs age in startup ADPs or something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tick said:

It's hard to apply VBD to dynasty, and to IDP.  It's just a lot more common on the IDP side for a guy's value to completely tank due to a scheme shift.

I might be in the minority, though.  I don't think I've seen any good studies of the value of IDPs as draft picks from a historical value perspective.  I'd love to see someone like JJ Zachariason really dig into it to see how early-pick IDPs age in startup ADPs or something.

Hey, you seem to know the lay of the land as far as writers and publications go. I subscribe now to IDP Guys, have checked out IDP Guru, am a monthly subscriber at Fantasy Pros for this month so I can do rookie mocks.

What do you find to be the best IDP resources, writers, podcasts, etc? I noticed you scoured the internet for free lists, so I'm curious if you know of any good resources, paid or unpaid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rockaction said:

Thanks so much, Tick. The guys in bold font are available. I've bid on Goodson and Brown. I will bid on Ximines next. 

Bid on Burris. Jatavis may have usage anyway, but he isn't going to be a 3 down guy. He didn't hold up whenever he was used in such a manner.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an article that included Marcus Davenport as having fifteen pressures last year. Bid a dollar on him. It's up to eleven right now (no, not Spinal Tap). What does everybody think about him and his chances of being a quality DE for the Saints for IDP purposes? Any help is appreciated.

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Bid on Burris. Jatavis may have usage anyway, but he isn't going to be a 3 down guy. He didn't hold up whenever he was used in such a manner.

Gonna have to wait for a few hours to bid. Already outbid on Jatavis. Thanks for the heads up not to chase it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Read an article that included Marcus Davenport as having fifteen pressures last year. Bid a dollar on him. It's up to eleven right now (no, not Spinal Tap). What does everybody think about him and his chances of being a quality DE for the Saints for IDP purposes? Any help is appreciated.

Gonna have to wait for a few hours to bid. Already outbid on Jatavis. Thanks for the heads up not to chase it. 

I would overpay for Davenport. He good.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

I would overpay for Davenport. He good.

Just placed a bid. I'm easily trumped by many teams, but not sure how many are paying attention right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tick said:

I just can't see taking a DE that high.  I've always been able to fill in just fine with waiver wire guys and trades. 

This is how I approach all non-elite tier DE's. I think Chase Young is in that tier though. That approach is also why I have no interest in those below him. Late round flier, sure, maybe. But they need to come with a lot of upside.

11 hours ago, Tick said:

It's hard to apply VBD to dynasty, and to IDP.  It's just a lot more common on the IDP side for a guy's value to completely tank due to a scheme shift.

I might be in the minority, though.  

You're not. I struggle articulating exactly how I build the IDP side of my teams because they're all different. But as a general rule I don't pay for depth. I take lots of shots. But they're of the little-to-no capital variety. I will make exceptions when it comes to my starting lineup, but even then it depends. I mentioned Chase Young above and while he is a priority on some of my teams in drafts next month he won't be a priority in all of them. He wouldn't crack my year one lineup and I like my depth, so he would need to fall (he won't) to become best available.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but another DE you might find on waivers is Stephen Weatherly. Played well in a reserve role behind Griffen and Hunter and lands a role on the Panthers alongside Burns, now Addison has moved on.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drewd_21 said:

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but another DE you might find on waivers is Stephen Weatherly. Played well in a reserve role behind Griffen and Hunter and lands a role on the Panthers alongside Burns, now Addison has moved on.

Weatherly is on waivers. Didn't Carolina switch to a 3-4 last year and is now switching back or something like that? I read about it when reading about Kuechly's retirement within one of the web sites I visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

Weatherly is on waivers. Didn't Carolina switch to a 3-4 last year and is now switching back or something like that? I read about it when reading about Kuechly's retirement within one of the web sites I visit.

They went 3-4 last season but are switching to 4-3 this year i believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.