What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did Schumer threaten Judges? (1 Viewer)

I’m squarely progressive, left of most people on this board.

Senator Schumer was over the line. I agree with CJ Roberts.
I’m quite frankly flabbergasted that Schumer would say this.  Definitely lost a lot of respect for him today.  I know abortion raises everyone’s temp, but that’s not an excuse.  Best case, he didn’t mean for it to come out the way it did, but once someone it reads it back to him, he’s got to apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That was really bad and I am sort of shocked that Schumer would talk like that about SC justices. Definitely not OK. 

I don't even get it. It's not like those comments can even be construed as saying there are political consequences. These are lifetime appointments. And why single out Kavanaugh and Gorsuch only? Ugh. Dangerous discourse is infecting our nation and the "good people" need to stop this instead of shrugging it off.  This was so why I wanted Buttigieg to win the D nomination because I think he was serious about unity. 

There is no doubt that this was a threat since he clearly only singled out the two conservative justices appointed by Trump.

There really should be some consequences for what he did like censure or something.  Or maybe removing from his minority leader position.

This is not how a leader from a party that supposedly wants to bring the country together should talk.

I don't even get it. It's not like those comments can even be construed as saying there are political consequences. These are lifetime appointments. And why single out Kavanaugh and Gorsuch only? Ugh. Dangerous discourse is infecting our nation and the "good people" need to stop this instead of shrugging it off.  This was so why I wanted Buttigieg to win the D nomination because I think he was serious about unity. 
Great post.

It’s one thing for Schumer to tell Trump or McConnell they’re going to pay.  They’re elected.  I could easily see that meaning “you’re gonna get voted out.”

As you rightfully stated, the same isn’t true of SC justices.

I read it as Dems are planning to pack the court, not that he hopes something bad happens to them.

But, yeah.  Should choose his words more carefully.

agree, it doesn’t even make sense.  Just terrible comments all around.

ive really started liking a podcast called Stay Tuned with Preet Bhrara, who used to work for Schumer before being the US Attorney for SDNY.  I’m interested to hear what he says.  Hope he calls him out.

That was about Obama appointed judges. I was talking about Trump's recent attacks on SCOTUS judges Ginsburg and Sotomayor and Roberts has been silent on that.
Attacks? Not even on the same planet as what Chuck said. Is it possible you have an opinion without obsessing about Trump?

It doesn't flipping matter what Trump does or says. We know who he is and should be going nowhere near his level of discourse. In the words of the honorable late Elijah Cummings, "we are better than this." I think Schumer should step down as minority leader. Sorry if this sounds emotional, but I just saw this thread and hadn't heard about it (busy day) and I'm pretty PO'ed.  Threatening USSC justices is out of bounds. Full stop.

There is no doubt that this was a threat since he clearly only singled out the two conservative justices appointed by Trump.

There really should be some consequences for what he did like censure or something.  Or maybe removing from his minority leader position.

This is not how a leader from a party that supposedly wants to bring the country together should talk.
Trump talks this way and got elected president. Clearly you see the similarities here in the awfulness of each speaker’s statements, right?

Senate Minority leader threatens Supreme Court justices, thread immediately turns to Trump.  SMH.
Of course it does. Trump has spoken in this fashion since 2015. He’s the leader of the Republican Party. He’s the direct comparison. 

Of course it does. Trump has spoken in this fashion since 2015. He’s the leader of the Republican Party. He’s the direct comparison. 
So just to be clear, are you saying that it's okay that schumer did that because Trump did it?

So Trump's fault?

The leader of the Republican party has endorsed and normalized threats to judges. That doesn't make it OK, but it does make it difficult to take the latest Republican outrage seriously.
This to me makes it hard to take any discussion seriously.

This is a pretty big deal.  And rather than acknowledging the big deal that it is “Well, Trump bad.”

So really in your eyes nothing a Democrat will ever do is bad because Trump exists. 

I applaud the anti-Trump posters who haven’t tried to turn this into a Trump thread.  Schumer did something deplorable.  Trump had no part in it. 

So really in your eyes nothing a Democrat will ever do is bad because Trump exists. 
That's not really my take at all.

My take is that society won't take Republican outrage seriously as long as they tacitly endorse Trump's attacks on judges.

I'm sure that frustrates you and many Republicans, but that's what happens when you lower the bar.

My take is that society won't take Republican outrage seriously as long as they tacitly endorse Trump's attacks on judges.

I'm sure that frustrates you and many other Republicans, but that's what happens when you lower the bar.
And you in turn re-lower the bar.  

You criticize one side for having lowered the standard, but then you use the same low bar when a Democrat does something bad.  

Lots of good, reasonable posters that are Anti-Trump have come out and agreed that this was a terrible move on the part of Schumer.  

It shouldn't be "Republican outrage."  A public official, a very high ranking one at that--threatened judges.  And somehow you see it as a partisan issue.  

I'm sure that frustrates you and many other Republicans, but that's what happens when you lower the bar.
And you in turn re-lower the bar.  
:lol:

The bar cannot be re-lowered because Republicans have not raised it. They allowed the leader of our country to set a precedent, and when a member of the opposing party decides to follow that precedent, suddenly they want to play the outrage card? Sorry, but that's a bit of "boy that cried wolf" stuff.

It's unfortunate, but that's just the world that Republicans have created for themselves. They were warned in 2016, but they decided to go all-in on Trump's reprehensible behavior. And now their outrage falls on deaf ears. Just like their attempts to slander Biden -- "he's old", "he's mentally unfit", "he's creepy", "but nepotism!" -- will also fall on deaf ears. As long as Trump's behavior is endorsed by his party, then the equivalent behavior from Democrats will get a pass.

Trump is critical of judges and probably goes too far often and should shut his mouth.  Schumer went further than being critical and appeared threatening.  Trump is a large hurdle to clear, but Schumer clearly did and pointing at Trump doesn't even work. That is bad. 

This isn't just Trumo people condemning Schumer, but people from all sides.  And you can bet Robert's discussed this and got unanimous support from the other SC justices before he issued his statement. 

I agree that Schumer could have chosen better words. But why is this such a big deal? People don't think that he is actually physically threatening anyone, do they?

I agree that Schumer could have chosen better words. But why is this such a big deal? People don't think that he is actually physically threatening anyone, do they?
Words matter.  Trump's impeachment was largely based on a poor choice of words.  Schumer was using his position as leading Democratic Senator, who are Constitutionally empowered to remove Supreme Court justices through impeachment, to try and influence an upcoming decision through a veiled threat.   He deserves to be widely rebuked.  

Does it as well. What Schumer said is not okay. Trump’s prior similar comments are not okay. 

This shouldn’t be that complicated. 
It shouldn't be, but some can't get out of the way of their own hypocrisy.  Sit back and watch the mental gymnastics ensue when they remain silent in some instances and throw tantrums in others :popcorn:  

Words matter.  Trump's impeachment was largely based on a poor choice of words.  Schumer was using his position as leading Democratic Senator, who are Constitutionally empowered to remove Supreme Court justices through impeachment, to try and influence an upcoming decision through a veiled threat.   He deserves to be widely rebuked.  
Yeah, hadn't considered that angle. Good answer!

Users who are viewing this thread