What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people say Whole Foods is so expensive? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
I don't understand why people are always complaining about Whole Foods? I have a whole list of things that are cheaper there then at other Stores like Market Basket. Feta Cheese( same price as others and 100 times better) All the whole food brand products sour cream, buttermilk they have a daily meat and poultry special: many times the beef is really cheap , chicken is on sale a lot. What do you get at Whole Foods and can any store compare? Please don't say Trader Joes because the quality does not even compare to Whole Foods in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I make some chicken parm and I like to have fresh basil. You can either go the supermarket and get a single bunch of “good enough” basil for two bucks. Or you can go to Whole Foods and buy really nice organic basil by the ####### tub and spend 3.5x the price then watch all the basil you didn’t need rot in the fridge. Milk is also like two bucks a gallon more. 

i also don’t really like shopping there. It attracts a bit of cluelessness in terms of cart etiquette and general self awareness. Cereal selection stinks. Can’t get a lot of basics either.  Can’t buy booze. 

Oh and every time I say, “Whole Foods,” someone is compelled to respond with, “YOU MEAN WHOLE PAYCHECK???!!1!?!” 
Then I want to punch them in the face, so I guess Whole Foods also incites violence. 

Other than that, it’s great and makes me feel superior. 

Btw, the Whole Foods by me has the best steaks by far, bar none, it's not even close. Their Bone in Ribeyes or Porterhouse blow Wegmans away, and the run of the mill supermarket with their 1/4" thick cuts, GTFOH

I wouldn't know if they're more expensive, they don't send weekly ads. If they were really competitive, they should let people know.

Whole Foods is prohibitively expensive for anyone on a low budget.  It's also expensive for anyone who hates to spend money on food which is a lot of people.  But not everything is expensive.  Their bread is very reasonably priced.  It's maybe $5 a loaf.  I especially like their semolina bread with sesame seeds on top.  You have to give it to someone behind the counter to get it sliced.  Makes great toast.  I don't live near a Whole Foods and I don't eat bread everyday so I freeze it with 2 pieces per ziploc.  I take it straight from the freezer to the toaster.  For a sandwich, I'll toast it to the point where there is a tiny bit toasty but mostly the toaster is just thawing it out.

Not a fan. The only one near me is in the city and I'm not driving into that when I can go to Publix down the street. 

no one can full shop there.  to me it’s for specialty items, like gluten and dairy free, which my wife trudges through.

I've never been to whole foods.    I never understood why you'd want to pay more for the same stuff elsewhere.    

The main reason we don't go there is the nearest one is 30 minutes away at least, but we have a more local version called Fresh Market, which does pretty much the same. I don't understand why paying for food that's had less done to it is slightly more expensive, but the prices are closer than they have been.

Their store brand stuff is a good deal.  That's about it though. 

Produce is sky high and seems to not get turnover. 
Depends where you live too.

Here in our NYC hood, which used to be the poorer area, when WF opened a dozen years ago, most of their store brand stuff was cheaper than our local crappy supermarket. Everything was cheaper than our local crappy "gourmet" market, except produce.

Since then, the quality of the crappy supermarket has risen with the surrounding real estate prices, and the crappy gourmet market was put out of business by a good, amd slightly less expensive gourmet market (which is located on the street floor of my building). And WF has gotten cheaper with Amazon, and also crappier.

At this point we know the comparitive prices, but mostly there are certain things at each we can't get at the other... And the convenience of rolling downstairs without needing to put a coat on for most things can't be beat. And we use fresh direct to deliver everything else.

But to the OPs point- I agree, WF hasn't been across the board more expensive.

The one I first saw in Mill Valley, CA as a kid OTOH...muy espensivo.

Not sure where you live but $5 a loaf is extremely expensive in most of the country.
I've forgotten what reasonably priced bread is like. We have an entemann's outlet a block away. I get enough bread products for a family of 5 that lasts 2 weeks for $5-6. 

I've forgotten what reasonably priced bread is like. We have an entemann's outlet a block away. I get enough bread products for a family of 5 that lasts 2 weeks for $5-6. 
Here honey I toasted some two week old bread for you.  Sprinkled with a little laxative to help get it thru.  

There's also the organic factor. In the articles I've seen more recently showing that WF's pricing is more competitive now, it still compares organic to organic for things like produce. So sure, you might find the same price there as at Kroger for organic bananas, but that ignores the fact you have the option to opt out of paying extra for the organic ones at Kroger.

There's also the organic factor. In the articles I've seen more recently showing that WF's pricing is more competitive now, it still compares organic to organic for things like produce. So sure, you might find the same price there as at Kroger for organic bananas, but that ignores the fact you have the option to opt out of paying extra for the organic ones at Kroger.
So what you are saying is, you'd prefer they compare apples to oranges? 

I spend almost $200 every time I am there somehow. 
Same here. And as I get older, I don't actually care. Their produce is excellent and their food is generally high quality. I will gladly pay an extra 100 bucks a month or whatever it turns out to be in order to eat good. Same reason I eat at more expensive restaurants and don't just go to McDonalds

Whole Foods is prohibitively expensive for anyone on a low budget.  It's also expensive for anyone who hates to spend money on food which is a lot of people.  But not everything is expensive.  Their bread is very reasonably priced.  It's maybe $5 a loaf.  I especially like their semolina bread with sesame seeds on top.  You have to give it to someone behind the counter to get it sliced.  Makes great toast.  I don't live near a Whole Foods and I don't eat bread everyday so I freeze it with 2 pieces per ziploc.  I take it straight from the freezer to the toaster.  For a sandwich, I'll toast it to the point where there is a tiny bit toasty but mostly the toaster is just thawing it out.
Frozen bread is the scourge of humanity. I'm pretty sure its the root cause of most mass shootings.

bostonfred said:
Their prepared foods are awesome but way expensive.  
Yep. It’s convenient for me to grab lunch there (usually a prepared soup and some of their prepared meat) quite a bit but it’s not like it’s any cheaper than me going to a restaurant. It’s quicker though and it’s good.  

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I spend almost $200 every time I am there somehow. 
It's posts like these that remind me how lucky we are to have the market that we do 2 blocks away. Our weekly grocery bill only exceeds $60 when alcohol or meat are involved. Otherwise we get out of there at $20something then just add about the same amount in staples at Aldi. 

Don't have one near enough to shop at. Stopped at one while out of town last week, just to see what it was like.  Nearly every item I looked at was 25-35% higher than my local supermarket (which has a virtual monopoly in our area and is IMO overpriced because of it). That $5 loaf of bakery bread would be $3 or $3.50 at my local store.

Also wegmans > Whole Foods 
Wegmans for 

- cold cuts (love their Just Roast Beef and Carved Off The Bone turkey and ham - it just tastes better to me without all the extra crap)

- booze (their mark up is several dollars lower per bottle on the stuff i drink)

- yogurt (their super probiotic yogurt is awesome)

- produce and salads 

- prepared soups (all of them are good imo and pretty low calorie) 

Their prepared foods are good, they're very expensive by the pound or in packages. 

NutterButter said:
I've never been to whole foods.    I never understood why you'd want to pay for the same stuff elsewhere.    
I like WFs once in awhile but a red pepper is a red pepper. No reason to pay 2.50 when I can get one for a buck. When I do go here it is just for a couple items.

I do agree though since Amazon has taken over the prices are slowly dropping.

Kal El said:
The main reason we don't go there is the nearest one is 30 minutes away at least, but we have a more local version called Fresh Market, which does pretty much the same. I don't understand why paying for food that's had less done to it is slightly more expensive, but the prices are closer than they have been.
This should tell you what you need to know about the quality of mass marketed foods, especially packaged ones.

jhib said:
That's a really strange criticism of a market that focuses on, among other things, organic produce.

I don't typically shop at Whole Foods nor do I usually buy organic produce, but that is their niche.

This should tell you what you need to know about the quality of mass marketed foods, especially packaged ones.
Oh I know, that stuff's so processed now it barely qualifies as food anymore. I'm at the point now that where I once was able to pack away snack cake type foods like it was going out of style, I can barely eat them now without my stomach practically staging a mutiny.

Don Hutson said:
I've been searching for a great toast recipe for years, thank you.

That's a really strange criticism of a market that focuses on, among other things, organic produce.

I don't typically shop at Whole Foods nor do I usually buy organic produce, but that is their niche.
It wasn't a criticism (although I am usually critical of organic). It was a response to the OP's question. If your average person walks in to a Whole Foods to buy things like bananas, they are going to say it's expensive because they don't usually pay organic prices for their bananas at their usual grocery store.

Organic being more expensive + WF only having organic = WF is "so expensive" to your typical grocery shopper.

It wasn't a criticism (although I am usually critical of organic). It was a response to the OP's question. If your average person walks in to a Whole Foods to buy things like bananas, they are going to say it's expensive because they don't usually pay organic prices for their bananas at their usual grocery store.

Organic being more expensive + WF only having organic = WF is "so expensive" to your typical grocery shopper.
Okay, I see your point.

People who shop at Mercedes Benz dealerships for new cars often think they are expensive compared to Kia dealerships too.

That sounded snarky, but wasn't really meant to be. 

i havent had the option here (smalltown VT) these last few years, but in Albq i was spoiled. There was a 3-store chain, Sunshine Market,  that did local produce, specialty foods, even some deli/bakery, at regular supermarket prices. Their produce wasnt as varied as Whole Foods but it was farm-to-market & less than half the price.

As the son of a subsistence farmer, i also do resent boutique farming (tho not a 10th as much as me Da does). Farmers markets became a thing because it was actually cheaper. the concept was "farm direct to customer - we pass the savings to you". but now i gotta pay $4-5 bucks a pound for tomatoes cuz some of em are purple and aint nothing sells for anywhere near what i consider a farm price.

Only one of my 37 1st cousins has ever farmed. That one, who grew up without plumbing, went to Dartmouth on the Indians-go-free plan, met & married the daughter of a Washington lumber fortune and has spent the last 20some years creating tax shelters for her dough. He's currently raising some weird red Scottish beef cows up the road from here, gives them mead to drink, mani/pedis and hummers from goats & such and charges $50/lb for the ribeye. My dad almost threw the laptop across the room when i showed him the website

Penguin said:
Btw, the Whole Foods by me has the best steaks by far, bar none, it's not even close. Their Bone in Ribeyes or Porterhouse blow Wegmans away, and the run of the mill supermarket with their 1/4" thick cuts, GTFOH
How are the prices for them?

Okay, I see your point.

People who shop at Mercedes Benz dealerships for new cars often think they are expensive compared to Kia dealerships too.

That sounded snarky, but wasn't really meant to be. 
Ha.  But at least most people could tell the difference between a Benz and a Kia if they weren't told which was which.  ;)

Users who are viewing this thread