What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic VP candidates - Kamala Harris Is The Choice (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Seem the GOP VP is pretty easy - Nikki Haley 

But the Dem VP has a number of interesting choices - and it looks like Biden (or Sanders) will have plenty of time to find the right fit for their campaign.

I would assume the choice will likely be female.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seem the GOP VP is pretty easy - Nikki Haley 

But the Dem VP has a number of interesting choices - and it looks like Biden (or Sanders) will have plenty of time to find the right fit for their campaign.

I would assume the choice will likely be female.
Was there some news about Pence that I missed?

If I'm Biden, I would choose Warren as a VP.  If I'm Sanders, I don't have a clue.  
They share very little on most issue, and she doesn’t balance the ticket regionally. There’s a non-zero chance he picks her but seems extremely unlikely in my view.

Although she’s a relative whipper snapper compared to most of the 2020 field, I think Joe will pick someone younger.

A name that just popped in my head that would make a lot of sense - Gretchen Whitmer - governor of Michigan.

I don't know much (read: anything) about her - but female, from midwest seems to check a few boxes.
Interesting and creative idea. Wasn't she kind of an upset winner there in the last election?

Four names that Biden apparently had mentioned.  (Another article I saw mentions them as well as part of a larger reference of Biden's to eight or nine women.)  Sally Yates; Stacey Abrams; and the two senators from New Hampshire: Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan.

eta: I'd expect Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer to be in the conversation as well.

Absolute lock it’s a woman. Needs to be younger than Biden (that should be easy). Liz, Kamala, Klobuchar, Stacey Abrams have to be the top favorites.

Think it will be an established well known name. 

cant see a turnaround withdrawal/endorsement from Klobuchar, on the same day Peteyjudge did so as an afterthought in history, without a Veep promise. dont matter anyway - whatever you put on Wonderbread tastes like dreck

i think Bernie's only chance is to keep doubling down on his leftist identity, so...........................................Liz Warren, COME ON DOWN!!!!

ETA: footnote - historically, a man of Biden's political ego would select the least possibly consequential running mate, but i dont think he's running the show. DNC pulling the cart, Pony Soldier Joe yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Absolute lock it’s a woman. Needs to be younger than Biden (that should be easy). Liz, Kamala, Klobuchar, Stacey Abrams have to be the top favorites.

Think it will be an established well known name. 
Just saw an interesting stat on Klobuchar:  Biden has spent $30k on facebook adds touting his endorsement from Mayor Pete, and $0 on the endorsement from Klobuchar.  I would be surprised if she is a legitimate VP contender.

Just saw an interesting stat on Klobuchar:  Biden has spent $30k on facebook adds touting his endorsement from Mayor Pete, and $0 on the endorsement from Klobuchar.  I would be surprised if she is a legitimate VP contender.
Interesting. 

Put her name on my list because I’m convinced it will be a woman and a well known one.

That does seem to not be so great for her.

I'll be shocked if it's not a black or Hispanic female.  
Just a single data-point, and not entirely relevant now, but when I spoke with Pete's campaign manager his perspective at the time (last fall) every campaign would opt for gender diversity on the ticket, but was less certain that racial diversity would be part of the equation.  He did have positive things to say about Stacey Abrams though.  :shrug:

As someone mentioned in another thread the Mass governor (Baker) is a Republican so they may not want to lose Warren's senate seat. 

I think Kamala makes the most sense for Biden, though Abrams or Klobuchar do as well. 

Bernie is tough ... he's fiercely loyal and I don't think he tacks too far right to appease the establishment. Add to that the fact that it's likely a woman, especially a woman of color (he'd get crucified as a sexist if he didn't) that limits the pool even more.

Some names that come to mind and their drawbacks

• Warren (would be great but GOP governor thing from above)
  • Barbara Lee (great fit but also older)
  • Nina Turner (not a lot of experience)
  • Tulsi Gabbard (my personal preference but Hillary already polluted that well with conspiracy theories)
  • Ro Khanna (good fit but male)
  • Sherrod Brown (good fit but male - would help with Ohio, but maybe not enough)
My guess - Tammy Baldwin 

How often is the VP candidate somebody who ran against the Presidential candidate? I seriously have no idea. As much as I'd love to see Klobuchar, it seems unlikely that any of those who have dropped out would be considered for VP. 

Klobuchar?
I would be concerned the damage it might do to Biden as Klobuchar is not popular with African Americans due to a case when she was Hennepin County attorney. Seems like it is unwarranted in my mind but the Black vote is very fragile and Biden should not mess with picking a VP that may have issues there. I really like the idea of picking a popular woman from a key battleground state.....Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer.

Bernie will not take anyone to appease others, like a Klobachar. He'll take someone that aligns with his thinking.

Bernie will not take anyone to appease others, like a Klobachar. He'll take someone that aligns with his thinking.
Along those lines - while AOC is too young:

Rashida Tlaib - 43 - Michigan

Ilhan Omar - 38 - Minnesota

Ayanna Pressley - 46 - Massachusetts - endorsed Warren, but still part of the Squad. 

Klobuchar?
I would be concerned the damage it might do to Biden as Klobuchar is not popular with African Americans due to a case when she was Hennepin County attorney. Seems like it is unwarranted in my mind but the Black vote is very fragile and Biden should not mess with picking a VP that may have issues there. I really like the idea of picking a popular woman from a key battleground state.....Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer.
I was thinking for Sanders

Along those lines - while AOC is too young:

Rashida Tlaib - 43 - Michigan

Ilhan Omar - 38 - Minnesota

Ayanna Pressley - 46 - Massachusetts - endorsed Warren, but still part of the Squad. 
Sanders/AOC = revolution

Sanders/other Squadsters = insurrection

We don't?
"many"

I think there are a lot of well-intentioned Bernie supporters - probably even a majority of his support.  But there is a sizable group where they see Bernie as the left equivalent of Donald Trump - the guy who will burn it all down and re-build to their liking.

A majority,  🤣that's delusional at best.
eh?

I am saying a majority of his support are well-intentioned supporters - meaning they want the country to move in that direction - quicky, but are not interested in burning #### down.

Its a non-negligible minority though that is an all-or-nothing approach.

It would be a mistake to nominate Stacey Abrams, IMO. She's never been a Senator, Governor, or Mayor, she does not currently hold any office, and she lost her most recent election.

She is emblematic of what's wrong with the Democratic party, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with her, personally -- it's just that the Democrats like to promote people based on what they wished that the person has accomplished (see also: Mayor Pete and Beto) instead of promoting people who actually have experience.

It would be a mistake to nominate Stacey Abrams, IMO. She's never been a Senator, Governor, or Mayor, she does not currently hold any office, and she lost her most recent election.

She is emblematic of what's wrong with the Democratic party, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with her, personally -- it's just that the Democrats like to promote people based on what they wished that the person has accomplished (see also: Mayor Pete and Beto) instead of promoting people who actually have experience.
I hear you.

But, I would counter that "experience" comes in many different sizes and shapes.  I also would not hold it against Abrams that she lost a state-wide race in a Red state, with significant voter-suppression efforts, led by her opponent.

I am not a fan of Abrams getting the nod, but if she is vetted and selected, I would not look at this as another Sarah Palin.

I am not sure that many Bernie supporters see the difference...
Since i am still winding down to my withdrawal from all this, i'll make this point in full.

As many as 70% of Americans can indulge leftist sensibilities or hold leftist positions on some issue. Sanders's only hope is to convince America that a government which fully takes care of its citizens - with tax money taken from the robber barons - is the only way most of the country is even going to have close to a fair shake in coming generations. 

If he equivocates, he is lost. That much he knows. 40 yrs ago Reagan realized that America didn't want Opportunity for All, but Opportunity for Winners. He created a vision of America as The Land of Millionaires, with all people who werent currently suffering having a chance. America is still addicted to chasing that carrot, greedy for the millionaire's chance and the perks of it. That's why they dont want everyone to have a chance - it lessens theirs and they'll be damned if they do reach the top and the perks not be as excellent as always

But the vicissitudes of becoming a Land of Millionaires has made America a Land of Billionaires. Sanders wins if he convinces America that creating a system where everyone's at least taken out of danger & made comfortable with a share of what the winners have already taken away is the shark move. 20% of everything is better than 100% of nothing. I dont believe America is ready to turn the corner on that, but enough of em could to beat a President with as many negatives as this one.

A majority,  🤣that's delusional at best.
eh?

I am saying a majority of his support are well-intentioned supporters - meaning they want the country to move in that direction - quicky, but are not interested in burning #### down.

Its a non-negligible minority though that is an all-or-nothing approach.
Gotcha, that makes more sense.  But I would say that's true of most candidates supporters. I know my fair share of Biden supporters who say they would stay home before voting for Bernie.

I hear you.

But, I would counter that "experience" comes in many different sizes and shapes.  I also would not hold it against Abrams that she lost a state-wide race in a Red state, with significant voter-suppression efforts, led by her opponent.

I am not a fan of Abrams getting the nod, but if she is vetted and selected, I would not look at this as another Sarah Palin.
I was just thinking the opposite.  Of course anyone who tried to treat her that way that would be labeled a racist. 

I was just thinking the opposite.  Of course anyone who tried to treat her that way that would be labeled a racist. 
 Abrams has a law degree from Yale.  She is miles ahead of Sarah Palin.  Most people don't know much about Abrams, so that makes her seem risky - but she is a well-spoken, sharp cookie.

I am just not sure she helps the ticket.  But, she won't embarrass the party as a nominee.

Also Abrams:

Spelman undergrad alum

U of Texas - Masters of Public Policy

Yale - JD

She's not just another pretty face.
The electorate is looking for a bit more than "has multiple college degrees", I think.

If Democrats are going to hammer home the contrast between "lifetime of service to their country" vs. "zero government experience", then they ought not to pick someone whose sole political experience is 10 years as a minority member of a state legislature.

But, she won't embarrass the party as a nominee.
Yes, she will - by making her boss look completely hapless. Ms Abrams dont suffer fools and, this side of the President, you dont get much more foolish than Pony Soldier Joe. He is the Democratic candidate America deserves.

Abrams has a law degree from Yale.  She is miles ahead of Sarah Palin.  Most people don't know much about Abrams, so that makes her seem risky - but she is a well-spoken, sharp cookie.
Abrams is miles ahead of Mike Pence, too. That doesn't mean that voters would see her as a better VP candidate.

The thing about Palin is that her credentials were exactly what you look for in a VP candidate. If she would have just kept her mouth shut and acted more like Mike Pence, John McCain might have won in 2008. But Palin decided to go rogue, at which point no amount of Statorama cheerleading could have saved him.

The electorate is looking for a bit more than "has multiple college degrees", I think.

If Democrats are going to hammer home the contrast between "lifetime of service to their country" vs. "zero government experience", then they ought not to pick someone whose sole political experience is 10 years as a minority member of a state legislature.
How much does the electorate really look at the VP?

She would destroy Pence or Haley in a VP debate.

She would be a well-spoken surrogate on the campaign trail.

She would probably continue her work on expanding voter access a new Voting Rights Bill,  if she were the VP

But the vicissitudes of becoming a Land of Millionaires has made America a Land of Billionaires. Sanders wins if he convinces America that creating a system where everyone's at least taken out of danger & made comfortable with a share of what the winners have already taken away is the shark move. 20% of everything is better than 100% of nothing. I dont believe America is ready to turn the corner on that, but enough of em could to beat a President with as many negatives as this one.
America's poor own..... cars, cell phones, Xbox, multiple large flat screen TV's and air conditioned homes... 

It would be the laziest revolution evah! 

Yes, she will - by making her boss look completely hapless. Ms Abrams dont suffer fools and, this side of the President, you dont get much more foolish than Pony Soldier Joe. He is the Democratic candidate America deserves.
A sense your disappointment.

I can't say you are alone.  I can only say, that I reached my own closure on the issue when I looked at the options presented to me - and realized I had to make the best of what is available.  I look at 2020 as a stop-gap measure - where the first thing you need to do when you find yourself in a hole is stop digging.

I expect an open primary process again in 2024 where people will be in a better position to argue the path forward.

America's poor own..... cars, cell phones, Xbox, multiple large flat screen TV's and air conditioned homes... 

It would be the laziest revolution evah! 
you apparently havent read my stuff - i've often described an America of the near future where South Dakota is nothing but concentration camps where anyone who wants is issued lifetime supplies of media, dope, snack food if they'll just stay inside and not make trouble. North Dakota is the workcamp for non-compliers

A sense your disappointment.

I can't say you are alone.  I can only say, that I reached my own closure on the issue when I looked at the options presented to me - and realized I had to make the best of what is available.  I look at 2020 as a stop-gap measure - where the first thing you need to do when you find yourself in a hole is stop digging.

I expect an open primary process again in 2024 where people will be in a better position to argue the path forward.
Then you deserve as much Joe as we can give you

Users who are viewing this thread