What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic VP candidates - Kamala Harris Is The Choice (2 Viewers)

This is funny on many levels, not the least is that @Zow is a solid GOP guy.

But, its also common knowledge that Trump does exceptionally well among white voters with no college education - particularly males.  Trump does not do well with college-educated voters.
Well, I'm not sure what the bold means anymore. I really struggle to identify with many of them. 

The days of McCain, Romney, Kasich, and other Republicans I did found to be good candidates and qualified and respectful people seem to be waning if not gone. But, presently, I'm still a registered Republican. 

But I'm not sure what your point is. What's the point about calling people lesser educated? Some of the smartest people I know never went to college at all.

The dumbest people I've worked with are college educated.  There is only one reason you bring stuff like that up.
My point is that Trump won over a demographic where Trump himself didn't appear to fit. I made this point in response to the point that Kamala Harris can't win over the demographic of the average black voter because she doesn't entirely fit the demographic.

My point is that Trump won over a demographic where Trump himself didn't appear to fit. I made this point in response to the point that Kamala Harris can't win over the demographic of the average black voter because she doesn't entirely fit the demographic.
Sorry you feel that way about the Republican party. I don't know how you think the Democrat party is even close to a fit for you though.

• Laughing
Reactions: rct
I was directly responding to this portion of your post, "I don't think the daughter of a slave owning Jamaican and an elitist from India who hasn't been through "the struggle" blacks talk about is going to a) shred anyone and b) able to shore up the "black" vote."

My point is that I thought the same about Trump being able to win over the non-college educated blue collar group vote. I was way off. Oddly Michael Moore correctly called it. So, I'm suggesting that while I may initially agree about your point with Kamala, we just had a very recent example whereby whether a particular candidate fits into a partucilar demographic doesn't seem to be completely controlling on whether said candidate will win over that demographic. 

Sorry you feel that way about the Republican party. I don't know how you think the Democrat party is even close to a fit for you though.
I'm not a registered democrat. I also don't view politics as two binary teams.

I find Trump to be an embarassment to our nation and the walking embodiment of everything wrong with the Republican party. Like a poster above I would also vote for a steel rod over Trump. That sentiment doesn't mean I've somehow changed my ideological perspective on several political issues. 

I find Trump to be an embarassment to our nation and the walking embodiment of everything wrong with the Republican party. Like a poster above I would also vote for a steel rod over Trump. That sentiment doesn't mean I've somehow changed my ideological perspective on several political issues. 
I prefer the inanimate carbon rod.

Jesse Lehrich @JesseLehrich · 3h

already emphatic tweets of support for the Kamala pick from:
– Bernie
– Warren
– Pete
– Klobuchar
– Bloomberg
– Yang
– Susan Rice
– Gretchen Whitmer
– Stacey Abrams
– Karen Bass

not bad on the unity front.

Shane Goldmacher @ShaneGoldmacher· 2h

NEW: ActBlue processed more than $6 million in donations between 4pm and 6pm

I'd say the Democratic Party, as a whole, are happy and excited about this pick, and are ready to move forward to the General Election, where they know they will have to work hard to get out the vote, and convince Americans that the best way forward is with Biden/Harris in 2020.

I don't understand these responses. Its true - there was an education gap in the 2016 election results. That's not an insult. Its a fact.
Right. And nobody (at least not me since I apparently started this ####storm) is suggesting that more education = more intelligence/smarter. 

Point is that Trump, a highly educated, born into wealth man who never worked a manual labor job in his life and literally lived in a home with gold trim somehow appealed to men who didn't attend college and work blue collar/manual labor jobs making no more than an average wage. As such, it stands to reason that Harris may be able to win over a demographic that she doesn't exactly fit into either. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I find Trump to be an embarassment to our nation and the walking embodiment of everything wrong with the Republican party. Like a poster above I would also vote for a steel rod over Trump. That sentiment doesn't mean I've somehow changed my ideological perspective on several political issues. 
A million unforeseen things can happen. but this sentiment is why Trump loses this time.

He’s narrowed his margins way too far. 

You guys are all a ton more into this than I am. But for the casual observer like me, she seems like a great and safe choice.
Nia-Malika Henderson made a good point that given electoral history picking a women of color is hard to consider a safe pick. However given that Joe had committed to picking a woman she is likely the safest pick. She has been considered the favorite the whole time. Picking her rocks the boat the least. Given he is currently in a very strong position, that seems smart.  

Its just the stats.

It’s smart on Trump’s part, it’s how he won.

It doesn’t take away from the observation that it’s odd that Trump, a silver spoon elitist snob appeals to them. 
A big reason Trump won is because people are sick of the same old same old retread bull#### in DC

Imo

A million unforeseen things can happen. but this sentiment is why Trump loses this time.

He’s narrowed his margins way too far. 
Let's hope. Anecdotally though, I haven't seen to many of my friends and colleagues change their minds. Most who seem to share my sentiment still voted against Trump in 2016 (albeit they may have voted for Johnson). Most people I know who voted for Trump will be doing so again in 2020. Again, this is just my anecdotal world which consists of personal conversations and, primarily, facebook and this website. 

Totally agree that played a role.

Four years later enough people see that he’s in over his head I believe.
If I had to bet I’d bet he gets smoked this time. 
I was just saying I don’t think it’s odd that he got the ppl to vote for him that he did last time. 
Going against Hillary didn’t hurt either of course

I, for one, am shocked that the Harris pick DIDN'T pull any of the guys in this board who were adamantly for Trump*. I really thought she would have made inroads into the vocal Trump supporter contingency. 

* Or those guys who say they are Leftists/Bernie Bros....but do everything they can to give Trump a pass.
Whatever. Biden could have picked Kim Jong-Un and this board would be justifying why it's a great choice.  SHOCKED you guys ignore Harris' history and want to focus on Trump supporters.  SHOCKED

If I had to bet I’d bet he gets smoked this time. 
I was just saying I don’t think it’s odd that he got the ppl to vote for him that he did last time. 
Going against Hillary didn’t hurt either of course
The bold was certainly a factor. Though, oddly, it was upper to upper middle class white women who drastically shifted against Hillary. 

My recollection is that Trump received about the same number of votes in total as Mitt Romney. So, arguably, his win resulted more from two factors: 1) Hillary turned out a significantly fewer amount of votes compared to Obama; 2) Trump successfully re-arranged the Republican votes in swing states and in particular demographics (such as blue collar men and upper middle class women). 

Whatever. Biden could have picked Kim Jong-Un and this board would be justifying why it's a great choice.  SHOCKED you guys ignore Harris' history and want to focus on Trump supporters.  SHOCKED
But he didn’t pick Kim Jong (probably a better bet for Trump’s cabinet tbh).

People aren't focusing on Trump supporters it was brought up during the conversation.

I think based on the early attacks against her, she is s better choice than I was expecting. It seems particularly lame. Trump's comments are she is nasty and super liberal. The nasty comment is just his continued sexism. Trying to paint her a super liberal seems a big stretch even for Trump.

The bold was certainly a factor. Though, oddly, it was upper to upper middle class white women who drastically shifted against Hillary. 

My recollection is that Trump received about the same number of votes in total as Mitt Romney. So, arguably, his win resulted more from two factors: 1) Hillary turned out a significantly fewer amount of votes compared to Obama; 2) Trump successfully re-arranged the Republican votes in swing states and in particular demographics (such as blue collar men and upper middle class women). 
In terms of total numbers, Trump got 2 million more votes than Romney did.

In terms of the percentage of votes relative to the voting-eligible population, Romney has the edge — 27.39% to 27.27%.

But I do agree that Trump successfully re-arranged certain demographics in several swing states.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
While scrolling through Twitter:

When Sarah Palin was selected in 2008, Obama/Biden released a statement praising the fact that “old barriers were falling in politics.”

When Kamala Harris was selected in 2020, Trump called her “nasty” and “horrible”.

I think based on the early attacks against her, she is s better choice than I was expecting. It seems particularly lame. Trump's comments are she is nasty and super liberal. The nasty comment is just his continued sexism. Trying to paint her a super liberal seems a big stretch even for Trump.
Plus, he and his family donated to her, which is hilarious.   

I totally get the idea of being done - I don't see how Kamala Harris should have any bearing on that at all.  If anything, the pick of Harris was completely predictable and should have been the presumptive selection.
she was the favorite, BUT

1) i am certain Biden promised Klobuchar the VP slot to get her out of the race and that was dashed by her prosecutorial history, so appointing another former prosecutor is counterintuitive

2) i know a li'l bit about the East Bay Way in politics and, while it's a good corrupt, it's corrupt

3) i've followed national campaigns for 50 yrs and covered one as an honest-to-god member of the national press train and i've never seen a candidate nominate a veep with a stronger personality than his

4) the President's performance has made this a dont-screw-it-up campaign for the Dems and Sen Harris has more possible political liabilities than any non-leftist candidate in the field

didnt think they'd doubledown on wrongheadedness, but i guess that's the fashion...

While scrolling through Twitter:

When Sarah Palin was selected in 2008, Obama/Biden released a statement praising the fact that “old barriers were falling in politics.”

When Kamala Harris was selected in 2020, Trump called her “nasty” and “horrible”.
In 2008, when a McCain supporter errantly accused Obama of being a Muslim terrorist, McCain corrected her and assured her that Obama was a "good family man." 

In 2016, when a Trump supporter errantly accused Hillary of [insert from the plethora of bogus claims here], Trump tweeted it as truth. 

Who woulda thunk it....that a little girl, who was bused to school, would someday be the running mate of the man who tried to stop it because he didn't want his kids going to school in a racial jungle?

Or that same woman, who said that she believed the sexual assault claims made against a man...would choose to stand with that same man and back him during a campaign?
Of course...Kavenaugh received a different treatment from her when she believed THAT woman.

This woman is a true, profile in courage and convictions!

Over/under...times Harris calls President Trump a "racist"...after all, that is her job now.

ELECTION 2020: Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield) issued the following statement in response to Sen. Kamala Harris joining the Joe Biden ticket:

"Kamala Harris wants to turn the entire United States into San Fransisco (sic).

Her radical agenda has been terrible for Californians, and it would be terrible for the rest of America too."
Great job, Kev...you absolute carpet-covered toilet seat lid of a human.

We went to the same college, FFS.

Disappointing selection by Biden, but not a surprising one.  I suspect the extreme left is pitching major fits over this one.

Users who are viewing this thread