What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A new car!!! (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
It's everyone's favorite type of thread:  the one where we talk about cars.  My lease is coming up at the end of the year and I have no idea what I'm wanting this time.  I want a sedan that will comfortably seat 4, I want to stay under $40k, and I would prefer if it was a little sporty.  

I hate SUV's and crossovers, so, as usual, I'll expect to see a lot of SUV's and crossovers suggested.  I currently have a Ford Fusion Sport.  It's a fun car and meets all my needs.  But unfortunately Ford stopped making the Sports.  I'm a "Ford Family" because one of my uncles was an executive with them.  But now that Ford is doing away with sedans, it's time to look at other cars.  I used to own a couple Acura CL/TL's, but they don't make that model anymore, either.  

Right now, I plan to go check out the Fusion, the Acura TLX, and maybe a Dodge Charger.  I know nothing about Dodge, but those cars look cool from the outside.  Any other recommendations as to what I should go at least look at?

It's everyone's favorite type of thread:  the one where we talk about cars.  My lease is coming up at the end of the year and I have no idea what I'm wanting this time.  I want a sedan that will comfortably seat 4, I want to stay under $40k, and I would prefer if it was a little sporty.  

I hate SUV's and crossovers, so, as usual, I'll expect to see a lot of SUV's and crossovers suggested.  I currently have a Ford Fusion Sport.  It's a fun car and meets all my needs.  But unfortunately Ford stopped making the Sports.  I'm a "Ford Family" because one of my uncles was an executive with them.  But now that Ford is doing away with sedans, it's time to look at other cars.  I used to own a couple Acura CL/TL's, but they don't make that model anymore, either.  

Right now, I plan to go check out the Fusion, the Acura TLX, and maybe a Dodge Charger.  I know nothing about Dodge, but those cars look cool from the outside.  Any other recommendations as to what I should go at least look at?
Cadillac CTS. I got one about a month ago love it.

I had a Challenger and my wife a Charger. I liked the way they drove and designed but inside were put together cheaply had problems with both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a sedan guy too, but mine is currently in the shop getting a new engine under warranty, and they have me in a loaner.  It is a 3rd row crossover SUV type thing that I kinda actually love even though I expected to hate it. 

That said, take a look at the Subaru Legacy Sport model and see if that ticks any boxes for you.  I like the idea of AWD in PA. 

I am a sedan guy too, but mine is currently in the shop getting a new engine under warranty, and they have me in a loaner.  It is a 3rd row crossover SUV type thing that I kinda actually love even though I expected to hate it. 

That said, take a look at the Subaru Legacy Sport model and see if that ticks any boxes for you.  I like the idea of AWD in PA. 
I can't tell, is that a fairly decent sized car?  We use my car to drive to the shore all the time, so it's got to be big enough to carry everyone and the gear.  

That's above the $40k threshold I'm looking for.  I got one of those as a rental when I hit the deer this past fall.  I loved it, too.  But not sure I want to spend that much. 
Mmm yea that's true. Bought a 2018 with 23000 miles paid probably half the list price of a new one.

Brand new or used?  New will severally limit your options where used the world becomes your oyster.  For 40k there are a ton of great option in the newly used market.  I’m a massive car guy and flip cars pretty frequently.  Current own an Audi A6 3.0, which fit all your requirements, and that’s been an outstanding car.  

Brand new or used?  New will severally limit your options where used the world becomes your oyster.  For 40k there are a ton of great option in the newly used market.  I’m a massive car guy and flip cars pretty frequently.  Current own an Audi A6 3.0, which fit all your requirements, and that’s been an outstanding car.  
Probably new.  Not ruling anything out yet, but definitely leaning new.  

I've been driving an  Infiniti Q50   for the last 2+ years and like it - despite the poor review in that link.  Mine is white with tinted windows. It's sharp looking, has tons of "pep" and I like the ride (although my comparison is a Journey so take it for what it's worth).  When I purchased I was down to either this or the Acura TLX but this one just looked better to me.  Both were about the same price. My 6'2" son sits fine in the backseat. I'm 6' and have lots of headroom. I suggest you go drive one yourself.

I'm also a sedan guy, but always buy used.  I've always been drawn to the Acura/Lexus/Infinity brands as I see that as giving me the reliability of Honda/Toyota/Nissan with a little more luxury, comfort, bells/whistles.  I had an Acura TL that I drove to about 200k miles, then bought a Lexus 350 with 65k miles for $12,500 and will drive that to 200k as well. 

Not to open up a can of worms but there’s not any real advantage to buying new.  1 or 2 year old cars with low mileage take the depreciation hit for you already yet you still get the full factory warranty.  Bottom line you get a TON more car for your money.  

Love my Audi A3 Sportback. 

Rented a car a couple weeks ago and ended up with a Nissan Altima. Not a bad car at all. 

I'm also a sedan guy, but always buy used.  I've always been drawn to the Acura/Lexus/Infinity brands as I see that as giving me the reliability of Honda/Toyota/Nissan with a little more luxury, comfort, bells/whistles.  I had an Acura TL that I drove to about 200k miles, then bought a Lexus 350 with 65k miles for $12,500 and will drive that to 200k as well. 
We’ve owned 2. It’s my wife’s car and she won’t drive anything else.  She absolutely LOVES the car.  Our first one went 220 and drove like new when we got rid of it.  Current one has 60k on it.  Great cars.  

If you are leasing, the price of the car isn't as important as the rest of the leasing terms/factors.  I can potentially end up leasing a BMW that may be worth $50,000 for less money/month than a $40,000 Ford.  BMWs, in particular, lease better than most any other vehicle.  Especially if you can find a loaner/demo with < 5,000 miles that will be significantly marked down from MSRP.  Is a 3 series big enough for your needs?

Figure out what you're willing to spend per month and then you can look at various lease deals to see if it fits.  You might want to consider getting a broker that can find you an exceptional deal if you don't want to do the work yourself.  The fee you end up paying pays for itself easily. 

Check out leasehakr

Those are nice.  I know it says "Starts at $36k", but I wonder how much it jumps up.  I remember back when I had my Acura, I thought about switching over to a BMW.  The price was similar.  But once I started added options, like 4 tires, seats, and steering wheel, the price jumped up to about $46k.
True. 

how about a nice Nissan Altima SV  ?

had one a few years back: seated 5 easily and comfortably. Huge trunk. Drove well enough, though I wouldn’t call it “sporty”. 

If you are leasing, the price of the car isn't as important as the rest of the leasing terms/factors.  I can end up leasing a BMW that may be worth $50,000 for less money/month than a $40,000 Ford.  BMWs, in particular, lease better than most any other vehicle.  Is a 3 series beig enough for your needs?
I get all that.  I've leased every car I've ever had.  I was just throwing that number up to give a general price range.  

And, yeah, the 3 series is nice.  I like them.  I'll probably give them a look.  

Not to open up a can of worms but there’s not any real advantage to buying new.  1 or 2 year old cars with low mileage take the depreciation hit for you already yet you still get the full factory warranty.  Bottom line you get a TON more car for your money.  
Are you buying through the dealer?  Like a certified pre-owned kind of thing?  

Are you buying through the dealer?  Like a certified pre-owned kind of thing?  
I think if you have time and patience, newly used is the way to go.  You can potentially save a ton of money for a great car and still be covered under a good warranty.  I went on different sites like truecar.com just to search for what was out there within a 50 mile radius of my house.  I would literally check every day.  Eventually I found a car that had less than 5,000 miles at about a $10,000 cost savings.

At least up here there is a large difference in the interest rate between new/used.  New will usually be 2.99% or lower.  Used will likely be much higher.
Not much. High 3s to low 4s.  I currently have a 4.25 and that was from 3 years ago.  Rates are much better now.  

Be a man.  Get a truck.

On a side note:

I was over at a friend’s house and saw she had a signed Iron Sheik photo.  I asked her about it and she said he worked for her post-wrestling.  Something with regard to security I believe.  Anyway, he was one of the nicest people she had ever known.  Always going out of his way to help others 👍.

Jetta GLI - top trim with all bells and whistles will be under 40k by a pretty big chunk of change.  It is a GTI but in Sedan so basically a great sports car chasis but you would never know.  Also, better engine and performance than the A-3 described above and basically any other sedan you will find under 40k.    

ETA - https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/jetta-gli

I've been driving an  Infiniti Q50   for the last 2+ years and like it - despite the poor review in that link.  Mine is white with tinted windows. It's sharp looking, has tons of "pep" and I like the ride (although my comparison is a Journey so take it for what it's worth).  When I purchased I was down to either this or the Acura TLX but this one just looked better to me.  Both were about the same price. My 6'2" son sits fine in the backseat. I'm 6' and have lots of headroom. I suggest you go drive one yourself.
love this car.  I got a 2014 model that still has the  3.7L V6.  it only had 23K miles when I got it 2 years ago.  prob my favorite sedan so far that i have owned.

True. 

how about a nice Nissan Altima SV  ?

had one a few years back: seated 5 easily and comfortably. Huge trunk. Drove well enough, though I wouldn’t call it “sporty”. 
Another vote for a Nissan.  I've had an Altima before and currently have a Maxima.  For 40K you can get a really nice Altima and probably a mid-level Maxima.  The Maxima is a V6 and really fun to drive.  The room on the interior is about the same.  The Maxima just has a little more pep and some extra bells and whistles.  But, if you're upgrading an Altima, you might be able to get all of that stuff too.  Have not had any major issues with either one of them.  And also being from PA, they handle well in the snow.

Or get a CR-V.

A Charger <> a sedan   .....

Check out the Chrysler 300.  I had a 2015 up until last summer when i traded it in for a truck.  One of my biggest regrets.  Loved that car.  Sporty, drove like a dream.

Love my Audi A3 Sportback. 

Rented a car a couple weeks ago and ended up with a Nissan Altima. Not a bad car at all. 
My mother has had Nissans for years, currently has an Altima. Her favorite was the Maxima, but they stopped making them for a couple years. Look at the Maximatop end model is $42k MSRP.

Buying slightly used, in the Certified Pre-Owned category is the sweet spot. Lots of times you can find a very low mileage vehicle that is under two years old with a better than new warranty (because of the warranty extension offered under most CPO programs) at a sizable discount to new.

Here is a "for instance" example:
I searched for Genesis G80s with under 30K miles that are Certified Pre-Owned. Results

Buying slightly used, in the Certified Pre-Owned category is the sweet spot. Lots of times you can find a very low mileage vehicle that is under two years old with a better than new warranty (because of the warranty extension offered under most CPO programs) at a sizable discount to new.
I've started to go this way myself with the past couple of cars that I have bought.  You can usually find a 2-year old car with less than 25K miles for a pretty good price.  I assume they are turned-in leases in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread