What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corona Virus Serious Level - 3.6.20 (1 Viewer)

For you and where you live, on a scale of 1 (not serious) to 10 (most serious) How Serious Do You Th

• 1. Not Serious At All. Barely a news blip that'll be gone in a few days.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Votes: 7 4.1%

Votes: 19 11.2%

Votes: 22 13.0%

Votes: 26 15.4%

Votes: 19 11.2%

Votes: 31 18.3%

Votes: 27 16.0%

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 10. Most Serious. Like being attacked in an all out WW3 type thing.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
A Podcast I like a lot is Cheddar's Need to Know.  They're pretty unbiased and it's a 10 minute morning summary of the news. 

The host today said she thought the Coronavirus was the most important story she's ever covered as a journalist. That had me thinking about how so many folks seem to have widely different opinions on how serious they believe the Coronavirus to be.

So like I often do, I thought I'd ask the forum to see what you thought.

For you and where you live, on a scale of 1 (not serious) to 10 (most serious) How Serious Do You Think The Coronavirus Is?

1 being this is nothing to worry about at all and it's just a tiny blip in the news and will be a non story in a few days.

10 being the most serious thing to happen in your lifetime. Like being attacked in an all out WW3 type thing.

Also note, I qualified with where you live. Obviously it's different right now in China than it is in other places. 

I'd love to see your ranking and why you rank it there. And please, let's do more supporting what you think and less telling other people their wrong. I'll do one in both the Free For All and the Political Forum. Especially in the FFA, don't turn it political. 

I may do one of these on the next few Fridays to get a sense for how it's trending.

Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, the vast majority of people who get this will be fine. Slight cold is all. They hype however is potentially very dangerous and disruptive. Way more so than the actual disease. Not very worried. 

I am not overly concerned. I am concerned for old and unhealthy people.....who can easily die of Influenza as well. This seems to be another strain of the flu. The main issue is the long incubation period and lack of testing kits.

I chose 3 as my worry level.

Minor disruption for most of the country. major for any hot spots (Seattle) if more pop up. 

Overall though I am not really worried.

I voted 4.  It will probably cause some disruption to daily life, and there is some possibility (less than 50-50 but enough to take seriously) that we will go to a work-from-home model sometime this spring.  I'm not at all concerned about my personal health of the health of my immediate family.  I'm more concerned about my parents and in-laws.

I voted 4. There haven’t been any identified cases in my immediate area but there are a couple in the state. 

I can’t see voting it as a non-story and the other end of the spectrum is also too extreme at this point. It’s enough to cause slight concern, primarily because of the unknown. How many people have it that we don’t know about? Will we see a significant increase in deaths? 

As of now it hasn’t impacted my daily life at all. I could have voted it as a 3 but the “fear of the unknown” bumped it up a notch. 

Amazing that this is two notches below nuclear holocaust from WW3 for quite a few folks.
Let's keep this more to about what you think than what others think.

Can you elaborate on why you see it as a 3?

I honestly don't know how to answer this. For me personally, I have zero concerns. I probably won't get infected, and if I do, statistically speaking it is highly unlikely that I will experience anything more than a couple days of sickness. So from that perspective, it's a 1 or a 2.

At a macro level, though, I'm extremely concerned. The bumbling response from governments (the Trump Administration in particular, though they are hardly the only one) means that it will spread much farther than it would have with a competent response. That means people will die unnecessarily. Of secondary concern, but still a really BFD, the economic effects may be huge. I'm not talking about the daily performance of the stock market, I'm talking about supply chains being disrupted, the travel industry being absolutely wiped out, etc.  From that angle, it's probably a 6 or 7, but until I feel like the government has a handle on this, I can't rule out the possibility that it could go higher.

Voted 8 as this is already impacting commerce https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1235907384893202437 (graph showing collapse of bulk rate shipping to China) and many companies suspending or minimizing air travel for employees (see Wuhan thread in FFA for anecdotal first person stories). People are starting to hoard items in some areas and where I am, L.A. County has declared a local health emergency.

The problem is that we are still early in this pandemic and no one really knows how this will play out. It could fizzle out as Trump has suggested, but it could also explode and overwhelm our health system with hospitals unable to cope with the influx of patients. 

I think the worst case scenario is a 2% mortality rate, which doesn't sound that bad, but is really pretty scary when one considers that this was also the mortality rate of the 1918 flu epidemic which killed more people worldwide that died in WW1. 

My own reaction so far as to been to stock up on items I use regularly with the idea that if things get really bad I could be housebound for a few weeks, maybe up to a month and not have to venture out in public. 

I voted 5.  

We're not all going to fall over dead.  But we need to be mindful.  I spend all year looking forward to the SEC And NCAA tournament, and they're having serious discussions about how to handle both with this Coronavirus threat.  

I'd also ask, for the folks voting in the 7 and above range, can you add more thoughts? Thanks.
Financial disruption in terms of consumer confidence, lowered production and some shortages 

Factored in with an impact on healthcare costs, elder care and the general stress of those situations

And the economic impact of lost work time for parents missing work when schools close, people having to quarantine and miss work

Add in a major travel slump and recession in hotels and airfare and possibly the end of the cruise industry, I don't see how all these companies can sustain although I guess those are theoretically foreign impacts and not in our domestic tally. 

The actual illness, probably, or I should say hopefully, negligible and manageable.  

The postiives... a chance to get away from China dependence, you build factories in mexico, central, and south america, you give those people opportunity and you take away the need/demand for illegal immigration and ideally you perhaps mandate some percentage of production of companies over a certain size, need to maintain domestic production.

My number one thing though would be a mandate for all phrama to be manufactured in America or American territories, so we can never be held over the barrel again, its a matter of national security as we can see now.

3    People are aware but really not much talk about where I live.  Do notice more people using the wipes at the market though. I flew back from Florida last night and it seemed like business as usual in Ft Myers and Detroit airports.  Saw a couple people with masks on but that's about it.  Nobody was coughing on the plane though so that was good.

I went 3.  While I think the virus itself is more on the level of a 2, the people who are freaking out over it bump it to a 3.  

I also think the virus scare has been good in a way as everyone is taking sanitation more seriously.  This might actually decrease flu deaths.  <- opinion.  

It looks likely a huge amount of people are going to get sick. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/482794-officials-say-the-cdc-is-preparing-for

If we assume half the low end, 20% of the US is about 65 million people. Again taking a conservative estimate 6 million if these people would get seriously ill and hundreds of thousands will die. 

I doubt we can contain this to keep the infection rates that low. I hope we can get effective treatments to lower the rates of serious illnesses and death, but I have a hard time seeing this not being way worse loss of life 9/11.

The postiives... a chance to get away from China dependence, you build factories in mexico, central, and south america, you give those people opportunity and you take away the need/demand for illegal immigration and ideally you perhaps mandate some percentage of production of companies over a certain size, need to maintain domestic production.
One other potential long-term consequence: This may accelerate an ongoing trend toward remote work. As all these companies are forced into this large-scale experiment and see that it doesn't lead to the collapse of their business, they may be more open to it as a routine matter of course.

Overall, that's probably a net-neutral development, so doesn't factor into my rating. But will be interesting to observe.

I voted "3" but I don't think there is a direct correlation between "seriousness" and "duration".

In other words, I don't think that the coronavirus is very serious for the average person.....but I also don't expect it to go away anytime soon. I think that it will stick around for several months, if not years.

I work in hospitality and we've been receiving daily updates with cancellations and policies regarding the virus.  In simply talking about it, guest worries feel somewhat low, but the response people give when someone nearby simply coughs gives me reason to think that concern is higher than they're letting on.  Of course, since I'm in contact with people from around the world on a daily basis, the potential for exposure is higher than if I worked in a cubicle, but I'm only about low to medium concerned currently.  

In addition, occupancy has dropped a bit since news initially broke, so that does raise concern level a bit, not necessarily for the virus itself, but for the extending effects on day-to-day.

I'd also ask, for the folks voting in the 7 and above range, can you add more thoughts? Thanks.
I vote 8.

its a global crisis that will affect countries considerably, not only in terms of deaths, but disruption to tourism, travel, school for kids.  

Japan shut down it’d schools for a month.  That’s an extreme reaction far outside of most normal risks.  Italy has shut down most schools.  China imposed the biggest quarantine in human history.  Iran is experiencing a huge outbreak and many leaders are sick and a few related to leadership have died.

The spread in the US could still be moderate or severe depending on how hard we clamp down. The harder we clamp down, the more serious the economic fallout is.  The less we clamp the more the human toll.

the majority of folks who are at risk are older, but there are a ton of older folks very involved in our country.  It’s a significant threat.

so for me, it’s a 7.5.  It’s a top three in a lifetime threat to the global stage in terms of economy and human casualties.  15% or so mortality rate for those over 80....around half for the next decade lower.  Then risk drops off precipitously. Huge older populations all over world especially in japan.

for a virus spreading like wildfire without a vaccine, there is a ton of potential for human suffering and economic hardships.  And the tools most governments have to contain it are limited.

and we have net even really had widespread transmission in the third world yet but good lord that’ll be bad.

Voted 7. I hope I'm wrong but I'm a little concerned. There are a lot of cases in the Tampa Bay area. It's really tough to get a read on this. I have so little confidence in info coming out of China. It's all becoming so politicized here. My wife is a nurse and I'm constantly amazed at the things I worry about that makes her yawn and the things she freaks out over. She went to the drug store to get some immunity boosters for our 3 year old and the section was wiped out.

4-5. 

We need more people to catch it. I’m dead serious about this. If we get over a million people infected with it, only then it will it be evident that the mortality rate is incredibly low and the recovery rate extremely high. That’s the only way everybody will calm down and there won’t be any further quarantines or cancellation of large gatherings. 

One other wildcard for me: This feels like totally uncharted territory. Previous pandemics were scary and got some media attention, but this is the first one that is really affecting every corner of our lives. How many interactions have you had with people in the last 24 hours where the virus didn't come up in conversation? Even worse, because we've never really been through this before, we don't have a playbook in our heads about how to handle it.

Not saying that automatically means the effects will be cataclysmic. Just that we don't have a really strong sense of how it will play out, so the range of outcomes is huge.

I voted 4.  Don't live in a big community and my wife and I are healthy.  Don't have kids so don't have to worry about them.  So me, myself not much concern.  Worry about my mom who is going thru radiation treatments for cancer so going into the hospital may provide opportunities for her to be exposed plus at 82 although healthy besides her cervical cancer, she would be at risk if getting it.

4-5. 

We need more people to catch it. I’m dead serious about this. If we get over a million people infected with it, only then it will it be evident that the mortality rate is incredibly low and the recovery rate extremely high. That’s the only way everybody will calm down and there won’t be any further quarantines or cancellation of large gatherings. 
The mortality rate depends on age and environment.  Some countries or communities are not prepared to handle the volume of critical cases this will cause and there the death rate will be higher.  The virus, regardless of exact death rate, is considerably more dangerous for older people which will hit those 60+ inordinately hard.

To wish for more people to catch it so the death rates will go down is to miss the real risks here. The dissuade doesn’t have an internal global mortality rate that we will hit when infections reach global population levels.

the rate will vary country by country, age group by age group, and will overwhelm most medical facilities at high outbreak volumes.

I know joe wants this to be a response to his question and less commenting on others, but it’s worth suggesting that if you think a million folks coming down with the disease is a good idea, pop over to the topic in the FFA and let’s continue the discussion.

Living in Seattle area it’s become very impactful.

Just returning from week long travel first thing people ask is if I’m sick, the wife has been told to work from home, there’s no traffic outside, it dominates conversations, spending hours putting together plans to work from home and cancelling work I had set up over next month.

Ok good side am able to order food, supplies online so that aspect is about on par with a major snow storm for us which also crushes the area. 

Just has the specter of the impending flu that might kill you lurking. 

I thought this was a pretty astute observation:

Max Fisher @Max_Fisher ·1h

Nearly every question I get about coronavirus is some variation of "How worried should I be?"

Here’s my best attempt at an answer.

Short version: you’re probably overstating the individual health risk, and understating the systemic dangers of an outbreak.

The odds of any individual getting the virus, and having a serious reaction, are very small - so small that its not worth worrying about, imo.

But, the damage to the economy can be big - if we start shuttering businesses for weeks to avoid further spread.  And, the more we see the virus spread, the more likely we will see rolling economic shut-downs around the country.

I voted 6.  There are more and more reports of confirmed cases in the Bay Area.  I'm hopeful that the actual impact is in the 2-3 range, but I think the government response to this should be treated as if it's a 10.

Overall more worried about the impact on the economy.  Travel, autos, entertainment, restaurants could see a big hit over the next couple months.  Not sure that rebounds quickly - you can't make up some of those sales.  

4-5. 

I worry that more people catching it, while it may lower the fatality rate, still means more deaths.  And that's obviously not good.

I still remember the Novel H1N1 freak out 😆.

I’m more concerned with the economic impact of the histrionics than the virus itself.
I think there's a fine line.  

We need to calm the panic so as to not kill the markets.  

We also need people to understand the seriousness of it.  

I still remember the Novel H1N1 freak out 😆.

I’m more concerned with the economic impact of the histrionics than the virus itself.
H1N1 may have been responsible for over 100,000 deaths:

"As the end of the swine-flu pandemic was announced in 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported the death toll was about 18,500, but the organization warned that the figure reflected only the minority of cases that were confirmed by lab testing.

"This modest number has caused many to wonder what all the excitement was about, and some to question whether the pandemic response was excessive," the researchers who worked on the new study said."

I don’t remember what I voted (it was more than 15 minutes ago, and my brain is mush these days).

Anyway, I voted like a 7 or 8.  People at work are panicking.  Canceling everything. Folks are mostly working from home.  The most rational people I know are stocking up on basics like TP, rice, hand soap, etc.  The media talks of nothing else.

So while I personally think this isn’t a major crisis, I’m surrounded by opposing evidence on an hourly basis.

I voted 4. There haven’t been any identified cases in my immediate area but there are a couple in the state. 

I can’t see voting it as a non-story and the other end of the spectrum is also too extreme at this point. It’s enough to cause slight concern, primarily because of the unknown. How many people have it that we don’t know about? Will we see a significant increase in deaths? 

As of now it hasn’t impacted my daily life at all. I could have voted it as a 3 but the “fear of the unknown” bumped it up a notch. 
Voted 4. Bolded is where I'm at also.

I gave it a 6. I think we'll all be exposed to this eventually. I think it's going to be a bigger problem for the old and infirm than we've seen in a long time, the consequences are going to hit them and their families pretty hard. I know I'm a bit worried for my parents and other older relatives/acquaintances. The overall freak out about it and economic impacts are happening regardless of the likely negative health realities, which takes it past 5 for me.

Not so much worried about my health. Both of my kids are under 9 and go to schools that are disease incubators. I work in a very large, well known hospital.  No telecommuting for me. If my staff gets sick or the hospital gets overrun, my life gets affected in very adverse ways, even if my health stays good. 

There are also significant financial issues at play, as my wife owns a business that would be severely impacted if this thing blows up. I'm very concerned. 

Please just listen to the medical experts - this is not a feelz thing.

*********************​

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary

This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide updated information as it becomes available, in addition to updated guidance.

Updated March 3, 2020

While information so far suggests that most COVID-19 illness is mild, a report out of China suggests serious illness occurs in 16% of cases. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.
MORE BELOW.

Background

CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China and which has now been detected in almost 70 locations internationally, including in the United States. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).

On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concernexternal icon” (PHEIC). On January 31, 2020, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar II declared a public health emergency (PHE) for the United States to aid the nation’s healthcare community in responding to COVID-19.

Source and Spread of the Virus

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV.  All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

Early on, many of the patients at the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Later, a growing number of patients reportedly did not have exposure to animal markets, indicating person-to-person spread. Person-to-person spread was subsequently reported outside Hubei and in countries outside China, including in the United States. Some international destinations now have apparent community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19, including in some parts of the United States. Community spread means some people have been infected and it is not known how or where they became exposed. Learn what is known about the spread of this newly emerged coronaviruses.

On This Page

Background

Source and Spread of the Virus

Situation in U.S.

Illness Severity

Risk Assessment

What May Happen

CDC Response

Highlights of CDC’s Response

CDC Recommends

Other Available Resources

Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Global Map

View larger image and see a list of locations

map icon

COVID-19 cases in the U.S.

Situation in U.S.

Imported cases of COVID-19 in travelers have been detected in the U.S.

Person-to-person spread of COVID-19 was first reported among close contacts of returned travelers from Wuhan.

During the week of February 23, CDC reported community spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 in California (in two places), Oregon and Washington. Community spread in Washington resulted in the first death in the United States from COVID-19, as well as the first reported case of COVID-19 in a health care worker, and the first potential outbreak in a long-term care facility.

Illness Severity

Both MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV have been known to cause severe illness in people. The complete clinical picture with regard to COVID-19 is not fully understood. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death. While information so far suggests that most COVID-19 illness is mild, a reportexternal icon out of China suggests serious illness occurs in 16% of cases. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.

Learn more about the symptoms associated with COVID-19.

There are ongoing investigations to learn more. This is a rapidly evolving situation and information will be updated as it becomes available.

Risk Assessment

Outbreaks of novel virus infections among people are always of public health concern. The risk from these outbreaks depends on characteristics of the virus, including how well it spreads between people, the severity of resulting illness, and the medical or other measures available to control the impact of the virus (for example, vaccine or treatment medications). The fact that this disease has caused illness, including illness resulting in death, and sustained person-to-person spread is concerning. These factors meet two of the criteria of a pandemic. As community spread is detected in more and more countries, the world moves closer toward meeting the third criteria, worldwide spread of the new virus.

Reported community spread of COVID-19 in parts of the United States raises the level of concern about the immediate threat for COVID-19 for those communities. The potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high, to the United States and globally.

At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States. However, it is important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. This is a rapidly evolving situation and the risk assessment will be updated as needed.

Current risk assessment:

For most of the American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.

People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated, though still relatively low risk of exposure.

Healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 are at elevated risk of exposure.

Close contacts of persons with COVID-19 also are at elevated risk of exposure.

Travelers returning from affected international locations where community spread is occurring also are at elevated risk of exposure.

CDC has developed guidance to help in the risk assessment and management of people with potential exposures to COVID-19.

What May Happen

More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including in communities in the United States. It’s likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur.

Widespread transmission of COVID-19 would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, workplaces, and other places for mass gatherings may experience more absenteeism. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and transportation industry may also be affected. Health care providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions would be the most important response strategy.

CDC Response

Global efforts at this time are focused concurrently on containing the spread and mitigating the impact of this virus. The federal government is working closely with state, local, tribal, and territorial partners, as well as public health partners, to respond to this public health threat. The public health response is multi-layered, with the goal of detecting and minimizing introductions of this virus in the United States. CDC is operationalizing all of its pandemic preparedness and response plans, working on multiple fronts to meet these goals, including specific measures to prepare communities to respond to local transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19. There is an abundance of pandemic guidance developed in anticipation of an influenza pandemic that is being repurposed and adapted for a COVID-19 pandemic.

Highlights of CDC’s Response

CDC established a COVID-19 Incident Management System on January 7, 2020. On January 21, CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center to better provide ongoing support to the COVID-19 response.

The U.S. government has taken unprecedented steps with respect to travel in response to the growing public health threat posed by this new coronavirus:Effective February 2, at 5pm, the U.S. government suspended entry of foreign nationals who have been in China within the past 14 days.

U.S. citizens, residents, and their immediate family members who have been in Hubei province and other parts of mainland China are allowed to enter the United States, but they are subject to health monitoring and possible quarantine for up to 14 days.

On February 29, the U.S. government announced it was suspending entry of foreign nationals who have been in Iran within the past 14 days.

CDC has issued the following travel guidance related to COVID-19:

China — Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel — updated February 22;

Hong Kong — Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions — issued February 19;

Iran — Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel — updated February 28;

Italy — Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel — updated February 28;

Japan — Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions — updated February 22;

South Korea — Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel — updated February 24.

CDC also recommends that all travelers reconsider cruise ship voyages into or within Asia at this time.

CDC is issuing clinical guidance, including:

On January 30, CDC published guidance for healthcare professionals on the clinical care of  COVID-19 patients.

On February 3, CDC posted guidance for assessing the potential risk for various exposures to COVID-19 and managing those people appropriately.

On February 27, CDC updated its criteria to guide evaluation of persons under investigation for COVID-19.

On February 28, CDC issued a Health Alert Network (HAN): Update and Interim Guidance on Outbreak of COVID-19.

CDC has deployed multidisciplinary teams to support state health departments case identification, contact tracing, clinical management, and communications.

CDC has worked with the Department of State, supporting the safe return of Americans who have been stranded as a result of the ongoing outbreaks of COVID-19 and related travel restrictions. CDC has worked to assess the health of passengers as they return to the United States and provided continued daily monitoring of people who are quarantined.

An important part of CDC’s role during a public health emergency is to develop a test for the pathogen and equip state and local public health labs with testing capacity.

After distribution of a CDC rRT-PCR test to diagnose COVID-19 to state and local public health labs started, performance issues were identified related to a problem in the manufacturing of one of the reagents.  Laboratories were not able to verify the test performance.

CDC worked on two potential resolutions to this problem.CDC developed a new protocol that uses two of the three components of the original CDC test kit to detect the virus that causes COVID-19 after establishing that the third component, which was the problem with the original test, can be excluded from testing without affecting accuracy. CDC is working with FDA to amend the existing Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the test, but in the meantime, FDA granted discretionary authority for the use of the original test kits.

Public health laboratories can use the original CDC test kit to test for the virus that causes COVID-19 using the new protocol.

Further, newly manufactured kits have been provided to the International Reagent Resourceexternal icon for distribution.

Combined with other reagents that CDC has procured, there are enough testing kits to test more than 75,000 people.

In addition, CDC has two laboratories conducting testing for the virus that causes COVID-19. CDC can test approximately 350 specimens per day.

Commercial labs are working to develop their own tests that hopefully will be available soon. This will allow a greater number of tests to happen close to where potential cases are.

CDC has grown the COVID-19 virus in cell culture, which is necessary for further studies, including for additional genetic characterization. The cell-grown virus was sent to NIH’s BEI Resources Repositoryexternal iconexternal icon for use by the broad scientific community.

CDC Recommends

Everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat:

It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.

If you are a healthcare provider, be on the look-out for:

People who recently traveled from China or another affected area and who have symptoms associated with COVID-19, and

People who have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19 or pneumonia of unknown cause. (Consult the most recent definition for patients under investigation [PUIs].)

If you are a healthcare provider or a public health responder caring for a COVID-19 patient, please take care of yourself and follow recommended infection control procedures.

If you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 and develop symptoms of COVID-19, call your healthcare provider and tell them about your symptoms and your exposure.

If you are a resident in a community where person-to-person spread of COVID-19 has been detected and you develop COVID-19 symptoms, call your healthcare provider and tell them about your symptoms.

For people who are ill with COVID-19, but are not sick enough to be hospitalized, please follow CDC guidance on how to reduce the risk of spreading your illness to others. People who are mildly ill with COVID-19 are able to isolate at home during their illness.

If you have been in China or another affected area or have been exposed to someone sick with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, you will face some limitations on your movement and activity for up to 14 days. Please follow instructions during this time. Your cooperation is integral to the ongoing public health response to try to slow spread of this virus.

Other Available Resources

The following resources are available with information on COVID-19

U.S. Department of State China Travel

World Health Organization, Coronavirusexternal icon

Overall more worried about the impact on the economy.  Travel, autos, entertainment, restaurants could see a big hit over the next couple months.  Not sure that rebounds quickly - you can't make up some of those sales.  
I was wondering, is there a chance auto sales go up as people don't want to be on public transport or in ride shares?

Like any other virus if you get sick you need to stay home, stay in bed, drink a lot of water and let your body do it's job.  If you are in poor health it's going affect you more, just like any other virus.

Hearing that even if you recover it can cause permanent lung damage has pushed me from a 3 to a 5.

Users who are viewing this thread