What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freeway Traffic Merging (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
I would like to see if I was the DB or if the other driver was. During my daily commute to work merging on to the freeway often involves getting behind extremely slow moving large trucks. I have always been of the opinion that the immediate car behind the slow moving truck should have the first right of passage if it chooses to vs the car immediately behind you. So I end up in this situation yesterday morning.

I'm the first car behind the truck merging on to the freeway. I put my blinker on and start looking for a break in traffic in the lane to our left but realize traffic is too close at first then a break opens up and I see the car behind me tries to jump ahead of me with the car passing him first. There was still room for me to safely merge ahead of him and of course he gets all pissed flashing his lights, honking his horn and then we exchange screaming and flipping each other off. I always give the car ahead of me a chance to make a move first if they decide to even though I'm able to get the first jump into the lane.

Was I in the right or wrong?

OK thanks for confirming. The way this jackhole was coming unglued I wanted to make sure.

You are right, but in that position I let the cars behind go first to avoid being in an accident with an idiot.

What's the procedure for a line of cars stopped on the side of the road when an ambulance goes by?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternative (in the context that my BIL for many years drove a semi all around the country): Stay in the lane and use your lights to let the trucker know you're giving him an entry point.  Start your day off with a good deed.

You were right. It seems like more and more drivers now lack any sense of driving etiquette, self-awareness or common sense. People are selfish to the point of stupidity, sometimes. Especially while driving.

Alternative (in the context that my BIL for many years drove a semi all around the country): Stay in the lane and use your lights to let the trucker know you're giving him an entry point.  Start your day off with a good deed.
I do this.

Please tell your BIL not to pull out directly in front of me while I am passing him doing 85, so he can pass another truck doing 1.5 mph less than him. 

You are right, but in that position I let the cars behind go first to avoid being in an accident with an idiot.

What's the procedure for a line of cars stopped on the side of the road when an ambulance goes by?
If somebody jumps the line on me to chase an ambulance, we’re gonna need another ambulance.....

he gets all pissed flashing his lights, honking his horn and then we exchange screaming and flipping each other off.
You were both wrong for the above. One driver looking anywhere besides the road ahead for a couple seconds can be the difference between life and death.  Let alone 2 drivers traveling 70+ MPH

drive safe

You were both wrong for the above. One driver looking anywhere besides the road ahead for a couple seconds can be the difference between life and death.  Let alone 2 drivers traveling 70+ MPH

drive safe
In San Antonio, it would have been like an old western. Who can draw quicker??

I do this.

Please tell your BIL not to pull out directly in front of me while I am passing him doing 85, so he can pass another truck doing 1.5 mph less than him. 
:thumbup:   and   :rant:

Yup, some truckers seem rather inconsiderate and initiate a highway pass when they want instead of letting fast traffic get by.  

(BTW, my BIL is now retired.  As are my wife and SIL.  As are two siblings, with the third throttled back to PT.  I'm doing this wrong.  :unsure:   )

I would like to see if I was the DB or if the other driver was. During my daily commute to work merging on to the freeway often involves getting behind extremely slow moving large trucks. I have always been of the opinion that the immediate car behind the slow moving truck should have the first right of passage if it chooses to vs the car immediately behind you. So I end up in this situation yesterday morning.

I'm the first car behind the truck merging on to the freeway. I put my blinker on and start looking for a break in traffic in the lane to our left but realize traffic is too close at first then a break opens up and I see the car behind me tries to jump ahead of me with the car passing him first. There was still room for me to safely merge ahead of him and of course he gets all pissed flashing his lights, honking his horn and then we exchange screaming and flipping each other off. I always give the car ahead of me a chance to make a move first if they decide to even though I'm able to get the first jump into the lane.

Was I in the right or wrong?
100% in the wrong.  Never scream and finger the guy behind you.  Slow down instead.

Otherwise, you're golden IMO.

If somebody jumps the line on me to chase an ambulance, we’re gonna need another ambulance.....
Line of 30 cars.  Does the last car wait till a car a quarter mile up goes?  

Any time I have seen this bits just a cluster of cars trying to go at the same time

Maybe I've been doing it wrong but it seems to me the person who first gets a clear path to change lanes should change lanes. 

If I'm the first vehicle with a chance to change lanes, I will. Usually I'll give the car in front of me room to also change, but if he doesn't, I'm still gone. 

No fingering involved. 

Line of 30 cars.  Does the last car wait till a car a quarter mile up goes?  

Any time I have seen this bits just a cluster of cars trying to go at the same time
I was initially thinking of an “in-town” situation, where around here everybody generally smooshes to the side and let’s the emergency vehicle pass. In that case, yes I would be upset if somebody tried to pass rather than let everybody else back into the driving lane.

On a highway, where you just go right, slow down ,and leave left clear? I would hope everyone could safely sort themselves out, but I would fully expect a tollbooth style free for all.

funny story ...(in fact, it wasn't funny)

Busy street ...car breaks down in the right lane.  Through no of anyone in the right lane ...it stacks up and people in the right lane have to get over.

Upwards of a quarter-mile cars in the right lane stop ...and merge in an appropriate "zipper" style ...people are helpful.

THEN ...THEN ...others jam past those merging appropriate WAY back ...and then zip all the way to the front of the line where the car is stalled. 

THEN EXPECT PEOPLE TO LET THEM IN!!!!

If my daughter wasn't in the car I would have gotten out of my car and beaten those cars with the crowbar I keep in the car.  

People truly suck.  

Users who are viewing this thread