What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joshua Kelley, LAC (1 Viewer)

TartanLion

Footballguy
Can’t see a thread on him. 4.49 40 at the combine and weighing 219 pounds. Kelley at RotoUnderworld seems to really like him and has the RBs ranked as ...

1. Taylor

2. Akers

3. Swift

4. Dobbins

5. Helaire

6. Vaughn

7. Kelley

8. A.J. Dillon

9. Moss

Thought he was worth creating a thread on as he is totally flying under the radar just now and will most likely be available late 2nd/3rd round in rookie drafts

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t see a thread on him. 4.49 40 at the combine and weighing 219 pounds. Kelley at RotoUnderworld seems to really like him and has the RBs ranked as ...

1. Taylor 

2. Akers

3. Swift 

4. Dobbins 

5. Helaire 

6. Vaughn 

7. Kelley 

8. A.J. Dillon 

9. Moss

Thought he was worth creating a thread on as he is totally flying under the radar just now and will most likely be available late 2nd/3rd round in rookie drafts 
I like Kelley quite a bit and think he's probably a bit underrated, but I think Matt Kelley is just doing that thing he does where he goes out of his way to hype a late round prospect so that he can brag about it if the player actually hits. He's had plenty of rookie hits and misses, just like everyone else. It doesn't really mean anything - he's not a scout and he doesn't have any special insight. 

He clearly has gained some influence though because Joshua Kelley seems to be a talking point this morning on a couple of forums. Maybe people are tired of talking about the same guys over and over and just want a sleeper they can latch on to. 

RushHour said:
I like Kelley quite a bit and think he's probably a bit underrated, but I think Matt Kelley is just doing that thing he does where he goes out of his way to hype a late round prospect so that he can brag about it if the player actually hits. He's had plenty of rookie hits and misses, just like everyone else. It doesn't really mean anything - he's not a scout and he doesn't have any special insight. 

He clearly has gained some influence though because Joshua Kelley seems to be a talking point this morning on a couple of forums. Maybe people are tired of talking about the same guys over and over and just want a sleeper they can latch on to. 
James Williams!!!! Darwin Thompson is mountain WAC trash, everyone get the obvious breakout James Williams!!! 

I do agree with Matt Kelly on a lot of stuff, that's just last year's example that I recall. 

James Williams!!!! Darwin Thompson is mountain WAC trash, everyone get the obvious breakout James Williams!!! 

I do agree with Matt Kelly on a lot of stuff, that's just last year's example that I recall. 
I think he was pretty high on John Kelly from the Rams coming out too (although I guess many were), which is weird when you look at his metrics. Was also big on Dexter Williams and Trey Quinn I recall. There are plenty of examples....he gets some right too, and I'm an analytics over film guy mostly so I'm fine with his approach, but yeah.....we're all throwing darts at the end of the day. I do find some of his takes to be pretty inconsistent - like this year, he's all about Cee Dee Lamb as unquestioned #1 WR, but his raw metrics are only ok (excluding things like breakout age and dominator). So that's a bit strange for a guy who openly admits he doesn't watch film (or games).

The Darwin Thompson take was probably mostly about wanting to trash Waldman. 

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares UCLA RB Joshua Kelley to Los Angeles Rams RB John Kelly.

Zierlein opens by stating Kelley (5'11/212) is a "physical, downhill runner," which tends to be a loose way to suggest a player isn't all that shifty in open space. Such is the case with Kelley. Though mean between the tackles, Kelley "doesn't try to make many people miss" and has "below-average start-stop and lateral change of direction." Kelley's running style is taxing on his body and sort of limits him to a gap scheme that wants to set up a direct aiming point for the running back. Expect Kelley to be a No.3 back in the NFL.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 16, 2020, 4:00 PM ET

Chargers selected UCLA RB Joshua Kelley with the No. 112 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Kelley (5’11/212) transferred to UCLA after two years at UC-Davis, recording 225 carries, 1,000 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns in back-to-back seasons as the Bruins' leading rusher. He struggled to break tackles while averaging a pedestrian 5.05 yards per carry in the PAC-12 but does offer straight-line speed (4.49 40) with impressive quickness (6.95 three cone) in a pinch. The fear is Kelley is just an ordinary player, especially as an older (22.4) prospect. He'll have to improve his overall toughness in pass-pro if he expects to stay glued to the field (potentially returning pass-catching value) on third downs. With Melvin Gordon departed, Kelley might have a path to early-career touches in a thin backfield.

Apr 25, 2020, 12:27 PM ET

The Orange County Register reports rookie RB Joshua Kelley “might have the edge” for the No. 2 role.

Kelley opened the week with the third-team offense but has mixed in with the starters. He’s been in a close camp battle with Justin Jackson. Kelley has a higher draft status than Jackson and could be the better power complement to Austin Ekeler. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Chargers go with a hot-hand behind Ekeler in Week 1.

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Orange County Register

Aug 23, 2020, 12:34 PM ET

I have a dynasty cut coming up and am considering hanging onto Kelley over Dillon. The thing about Dillon is that he's a handcuff to Jones, who is also on my Roster. On one hand I like having a handcuff, on the other hand I like having a prospect for something more. I keep thinking Kelley has potential to be a lot more than his draft position suggests, but even if he can be a surprise, how much volume can he get behind Ekeler? I know MG got plenty, but now that Ekeler has been anointed, I'm just not sure. My heart wants to take the chance on Kelley, but my instincts are telling me to hang onto Dillon. What are your thoughts???

I have a dynasty cut coming up and am considering hanging onto Kelley over Dillon. The thing about Dillon is that he's a handcuff to Jones, who is also on my Roster. On one hand I like having a handcuff, on the other hand I like having a prospect for something more. I keep thinking Kelley has potential to be a lot more than his draft position suggests, but even if he can be a surprise, how much volume can he get behind Ekeler? I know MG got plenty, but now that Ekeler has been anointed, I'm just not sure. My heart wants to take the chance on Kelley, but my instincts are telling me to hang onto Dillon. What are your thoughts???
I can’t type anything that would definitively make the decision for you but in a dyno draft (yesterday) I took Kelly over Dillon at 2.05 (12-teams) so you’re not alone. 

I would personally keep Dillon, but either way you can get something in return for the one you choose not to keep. You should have been getting feelers from other owners over the past few days by putting both on the trading block. It’ll be harder To move One if cut downs are literally right around the corner. 
Good luck either way.

Does he have value in redraft leagues this season?
Injury disclaimer obviously, but his best case scenario is usurping Justin Jackson for the base down role on a team likely to be playing negative game scripts with a rookie under center. Should injury open a door he's a waiver wire/faab consideration at that time. He doesn't have enough upside in that scenario to justify a proactive add though.

Training Camp Buzz: Blake Bortles prioritizing playing opportunity over practice squad

Excerpt:

After three years of spelling and then splitting carries with Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler has the Chargers' starting job all to himself. But he's relatively new to the RB1 game and thus could need reinforcements himself. Rookie Joshua Kelley is making his case. NFL Network's Jim Trotter reported the fourth-round pick's performance in camp has generated "a lot of intrigue" from within. He's gotten extra work while Justin Jackson, slated to be Ekeler's primary backup, has been out with a toe injury. Moreover, the 200-pound Ekeler has never previously been a workhorse, handling more than 15 carries just twice in his career. It all creates more opportunity for Kelley. "What I'm told right now by staff members I talk to is Joshua Kelley is raw," Trotter added, "but he has a lot of upside."

Joshua Kelley rushed for 60 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries in the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Without preseason games, there was mystery surrounding the Chargers' No. 2 job behind Austin Ekeler. Justin Jackson had a couple of early carries, but it was Kelley who played in the second half and subbed in inside the red zone. In fact, Kelley handled multiple inside-the-10 carries and plunged into the end zone for a red-zone score. He's a quality add in 12-team fantasy leagues, as Kelley could provide some standalone value with obvious insurance appeal if Ekeler were to miss time.
Anyone watch the game? How did he look?

JoeSteeler said:
he looked FANTASTIC! Was definitely quicker than I expected and has earned more playing time. Their offense fits his game/skillset better than Ekeler, who I believe didn't have a target in the passing game. The sky is the limit for this kid. 

This could really develop into something long term and should have stand alone value short term. I was happy to get him in mid and late round 3 in both my dynasties. 

I have too many good RBs in my main local.  I will have to trade some of them as I can only start 4.

Saquon Barkely

Miles Sanders

Raheem Mostert

Joshua Kelley

Cam Akers

Sony Michel

AJ Dillon

JoeSteeler said:
I only saw a couple carries as they cut in and out on RedZone but he looked good. Including the TD where I thought he looked fantastic.

Joshua Kelley rushed 23 times for 64 yards in the Chargers' Week 2 overtime loss to the Chiefs, adding 2 receptions for 49 yards as a receiver.

The volume is likely here to stay. Kelley is the Chargers' preferred short-yardage back while Austin Ekeler finds easier rushing lanes against less-stacked boxes. The UCLA product has some standalone value in deeper leagues given his usage in the red zone, but touchdowns will come and go in what likely is an up-and-down offense. Still, Kelley looks like one of the best double-digit round picks of fantasy drafts as long as he holds off Justin Jackson (quad), who may return to action in Week 3. Kelley will be an RB3 against the beatable Panthers run defense in Week 3. 

Sep 20, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

If Herbert is remotely decent long term, this looks like a gem for dynasty drafters. 

I'm pretty shocked by that usage, they really must like him. 

Particularly to keep going to him with such low production. That is 2.78 YPC.
KC stacked the box all game, daring Herbert to beat them through the air AND that Charger line didn't play well. He passes the eye ball test for me and he's going to fantasy relevant all year. 

Yeah, he looked better than that YPC indicates.  He got quite a few late carriers where it was obvious they were going to run it and KC stacked the box.  He and Ekeler should be a really good 1-2 punch at RB.

Yeah he had many runs where only a yard or two were needed for the first down and he got most of those first downs from what I saw. Great for moving the chains and impressing the coaches but does not show well for YPC.

Injury disclaimer obviously, but his best case scenario is usurping Justin Jackson for the base down role on a team likely to be playing negative game scripts with a rookie under center. Should injury open a door he's a waiver wire/faab consideration at that time. He doesn't have enough upside in that scenario to justify a proactive add though.
Time to remedy my original foolishness - yes, he has redraft value. If he wasn't added last week then he is #1 waiver priority this week. 

Predictions with Kelley’s role when Justin Jackson returns?  

Who is the #2 or I guess the “Melvin Gordon role”?

Yeah, Kelley seems to have had the grip, but Jackson was hurt in camp. Problem is, Jackson always seems to be hurt at the wrong time for himself. I will say this, and I have Kelley on a redraft team of mine: A rushing line of 23 for 64 is pretty darn bad. There may have been some short yardage situations thrown in there, and the Chiefs may have been stacking the box, but that's an ugly line.

That's neither here nor there. I'm thrilled with the volume he got, and Lynn is no stranger to giving between the tackles guys volume. 

Panthers this week. Considering starting him in place of Mostert if he doesn’t make it. RBs seem to have been running rampant on Carolina so far this season 

Users who are viewing this thread