What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joshua Kelley, LAC (1 Viewer)

ECR still has Dobbins ranked ahead of him....meanwhile Kelley got 25 touches last week, Dobbins got 3.

Sure, makes sense.

ECR still has Dobbins ranked ahead of him....meanwhile Kelley got 25 touches last week, Dobbins got 3.

Sure, makes sense.
Well, that depends on if they're talking about game or season. Jackson hasn't been around to poach carries yet, and if Kelley runs for less than three a clip again, you'll surely see Jackson. 

rockaction said:
Yeah, Kelley seems to have had the grip, but Jackson was hurt in camp. Problem is, Jackson always seems to be hurt at the wrong time for himself. I will say this, and I have Kelley on a redraft team of mine: A rushing line of 23 for 64 is pretty darn bad. There may have been some short yardage situations thrown in there, and the Chiefs may have been stacking the box, but that's an ugly line.

That's neither here nor there. I'm thrilled with the volume he got, and Lynn is no stranger to giving between the tackles guys volume. 
They were stacking the box the whole game.   They were daring Herbert to throw and who could blame them.

They were stacking the box the whole game.   They were daring Herbert to throw and who could blame them.
exactly! Kelley had nowhere too run and looked fine. Trust me, he's better than Jackson and the coaches know it. I doin't even know the last time Jackson was healthy for more than a week our two

Anyone want to chime in after today? Had a fumble pretty early as I recall, had a ton of hype going this week, all the carries he has piled up and a lot of owners were playing him as RB2/Flex options, especially those who had major injuries Weeks 1 and 2.

Who would say Trade For? Do I hear a WR you could trade and fetch him for? What is the temperature going into Week 4?

Did he finish the game healthy? 

Joshua Kelley rushed eight times for 43 yards in the Chargers' Week 3 loss to the Panthers, adding two catches for nine yards. 

Kelley slipped well behind Ekeler in total touches against Carolina. The rookie fumbled on his best run of the day, perhaps costing playing time in the second half. When game script turns against LA, it's clear Kelley will struggled to get sufficient touches. He'll be a borderline RB3 in Week 4 against the Bucs. 

Sep 27, 2020, 7:20 PM ET

He is my RB4/5 with Ronald Jones. (And holding Wilson Jr right now as a Mostert you owner but would probably give him up before Kelley).  Where do you put him with a guy like Zach Moss who was dropped because of other injuries hitting a team.

Redraft standard scoring.

Joshua Kelley rushed 9 times for 7 yards and caught 3-of-3 targets for 26 yards in the Chargers' Week 4 loss to the Bucs.

Kelley was predictably stuffed at the line of scrimmage behind the league's worst offensive line of the week against the No. 4 rushing EPA defense. The story of the game, however, was Austin Ekeler's leg injury. It sounds like Ekeler is dealing with a serious hamstring injury. He was laying on the sideline next to trainers before leaving on a cart. It won't be a surprise if Ekeler misses multiple weeks, leaving Kelley as the 1A in a possible committee with Justin Jackson. Kelley must be added if he's somehow still on the waiver wire. The Chargers schedule is nice over the five games (@NO, NYJ, @MIA, JAX, LV). Kelley will be an upside RB2 if Ekeler is out then.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

The fumble while not solely his fault was still partly his fault deep down inside their own territory and it sparked the Bucs going into their locker room right before the half. 

Then there's also the fact he had 9 carries and 7 yards

Start him with confidence next week?

" Chargers schedule is nice over the five games (@NO, NYJ, @MIA, JAX, LV)"

I cannot imagine many fantasy rosters have too many nicer looking flex plays. 

I don't know what Ekeler's injury is going to pan out to be. I don't wish injury on anyone.

But playing it out, if Ekeler's out for a number of games, we'll likely see both Kelley and Jackson have a role.

Looking at today, neither back did well with the few carries they had. No back did in this game for LAC, and the game tilted to the air game.

But Kelley has shown that he can be solid so far this year -- his limitation was much more Ekeler than ability.

What I do know is the Chargers' schedule looks favorable, and I think this will at worst start out as a pure RBBC between Kelley and Jackson.

And at best, Kelley likely takes early down work -- he's built just a bit heavier than Jackson -- and with the opportunity, becomes a solid flex paly with RB 2 upside.

Jackson has shown he could be solid as well. But between the two, my money is on Kelley.

We'll see.

I don't know what Ekeler's injury is going to pan out to be. I don't wish injury on anyone.

But playing it out, if Ekeler's out for a number of games, we'll likely see both Kelley and Jackson have a role.

Looking at today, neither back did well with the few carries they had. No back did in this game for LAC, and the game tilted to the air game.

But Kelley has shown that he can be solid so far this year -- his limitation was much more Ekeler than ability.

What I do know is the Chargers' schedule looks favorable, and I think this will at worst start out as a pure RBBC between Kelley and Jackson.

And at best, Kelley likely takes early down work -- he's built just a bit heavier than Jackson -- and with the opportunity, becomes a solid flex paly with RB 2 upside.

Jackson has shown he could be solid as well. But between the two, my money is on Kelley.

We'll see.
Jackson has never been able to stay healthy 

I’m more concerned that the Chargers sign someone off the street than I am about Jackson. Neither of these two are close to Ekeker as a pass catcher. What does their practice squad look like?

I, of course, dropped him for injury help and Ridley emergency backup for tonight prior to yesterday.  Though, not sure this will be anything more than RBBC anyway if Ekeler is out long

The fumble yesterday is more on Herbert from what I saw, Herbert placed the ball on his right shoulder pad. With the Saints being somewhat of a tough matchup next week, it will be a good week to evaluate usage, especially in the passing game and determine if he may be an FF RB2 or RB3/Flex moving forward.

I’m more concerned that the Chargers sign someone off the street than I am about Jackson. Neither of these two are close to Ekeker as a pass catcher. What does their practice squad look like?
I believe Darius Bradwell (UDFA signing who was a QB in college) and a pure journeyman Tromayne Pope are backs on the Bolts' PS. So no one who is going to threaten either Kelley of Jackson for meaningful share.

I don't know who is left out there as a FA.

Powell, Lynch (doubt he unretires), Crowell, Turbin, Javorius Allen, DeAndre Washington, and Rod Smith maybe fit needs? Could actually see DeAndre Washington as more of a gap-filler for Ekeler's pass-catching but it's not as if he's proven head and shoulders better then Kelley/Jackson.

I believe Darius Bradwell (UDFA signing who was a QB in college) and a pure journeyman Tromayne Pope are backs on the Bolts' PS. So no one who is going to threaten either Kelley of Jackson for meaningful share.

Powell, Lynch (doubt he unretires), Crowell, Turbin, Javorius Allen, DeAndre Washington, and Rod Smith maybe fit needs? Could actually see DeAndre Washington as more of a gap-filler for Ekeler's pass-catching but it's not as if he's proven head and shoulders better then Kelley/Jackson.
Kelley was close to a Top 100 pick, yes it was the 4th roud but RBs are not a highly respected position these days in the NFL, lot of teams just don't believe in locking up cap space on a RB that is prone to injuries due to the punishment week in week out. I agree with others that the fumble was not really his fault. 

That said he has a rookie QB that I cannot see them sending back to the bench unless he starts throwing Pick-6s left and right. I would like to see him string a couple of good games together the next couple weeks. 

To the Ekeler owners I hope he has a speedy recovery, there's room for both of them to have their moments in this offense and this is not the reason you want to see your rookie RB suddenly thrust into a potential starting spot. 

I believe Ekeler will be sorely missed and the Chargers will want to get him back out there and moving the offense so let's just approach the next several weeks as simply an audition for Kelley and hopefully he can hold of Jackson first and foremost and hopefully gain the trust of his coaches so he can still handle a decent chunk when they ease Ekeler back in. 

Anyone starting Kelley this weekend? 

I'm optimistic about volume, but we have Jackson to contend with and still uncertain how load will be distributed across the two in Ekeler's absence.

With a very tough run D, playing on the road with a rookie QB, it just doesn't seem like the game script will go his way either.

Want to believe, and I see him projected well on FBG and other sites, but the match up scares me and it may be safer to roll with a guy like Jeudy 

For that role in the offense I think Riddick is out there and a lot of people don't realize that he's only 29yo. He never panned out quite like I had hoped but Buck Allen is also a FA I believe and he's a very competent receiver out of the backfield.

I always think those late 20-something vets make for good mid-season signings. They have been in the league for several years, usually know how to pick up a blitz if they have to, have already adjusted to the speed of the NFL, etc. In August every team thinks they have found a great 22yo to play 2nd/3rd string but when they are thrust into a bigger role in the offense, especially with a rookie QB, give me the B- veteran who will never develop into an A- player but is less likely to make the big mistake as well. 

Well, that depends on if they're talking about game or season. Jackson hasn't been around to poach carries yet, and if Kelley runs for less than three a clip again, you'll surely see Jackson. 
J.Jackson has always been an "in case of emergency break glass" RB3, nothing more

59 touches as a rookie in 4 games as the back up or not the primary ball carrier.  His starting Center is OUT for the season, Pouncey. 

Kelley had 12 carries Week1 for 60 yards. Next week he had 23 carries and the last two weeks only 17 carries combined but I think the Chargers wanted to see what they had and also use a 2 Back attack throughout the game. That's what a Lynn-Led Coaching system has built in Los Angeles even if he isn't going to be around for much longer at the rate they are losing. 

I think Kelley has a terrific chance to see a lot of snaps, will they be fruitful? I think the Pats will focus on stopping Herbert 1st and foremost. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone starting Kelley this weekend? 

I'm optimistic about volume, but we have Jackson to contend with and still uncertain how load will be distributed across the two in Ekeler's absence.

With a very tough run D, playing on the road with a rookie QB, it just doesn't seem like the game script will go his way either.
If it affects the calculus: New Orleans is still playing without fans at home. Both Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, when they played in the Superdome, were able to do all their usual snap counts and line calls verbally -- silent counts weren't needed. Opposing offensive players have been able to hear at the line just fine.

If it affects the calculus: New Orleans is still playing without fans at home. Both Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, when they played in the Superdome, were able to do all their usual snap counts and line calls verbally -- silent counts weren't needed. Opposing offensive players have been able to hear at the line just fine.
Excellent point Doug, it really does matter, the fan base and being indoors, they try and downplay it but you cannot deny what you read about Brady and Rodgers visiting an empty Superdome.

For that role in the offense I think Riddick is out there and a lot of people don't realize that he's only 29yo. He never panned out quite like I had hoped but Buck Allen is also a FA I believe and he's a very competent receiver out of the backfield.

I always think those late 20-something vets make for good mid-season signings. They have been in the league for several years, usually know how to pick up a blitz if they have to, have already adjusted to the speed of the NFL, etc. In August every team thinks they have found a great 22yo to play 2nd/3rd string but when they are thrust into a bigger role in the offense, especially with a rookie QB, give me the B- veteran who will never develop into an A- player but is less likely to make the big mistake as well. 
Riddick is a Raider. Got anyone else?

ETA: Just read that they picked up Ballage. Not sure that's going to be a huge threat to either JK or JJ.

Agree with @Ministry of Pain they are going to continue to roll with a 2 back set, and dance with the guys they have to do it. 

I get that, and you're right there is really a cap on home field advantage this year.

But you still have a West Coast team travelling east. At least it's MNF and not an early Sunday game, but from what I've been reading many teams fly in and out same day to limit exposure. Not sure if that's the Chargers' MO, but they still have to get to the Superdome. 

Joshua Kelley rushed 11 times for 29 yards in the Chargers' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

He managed a nine-yard catch on his lone target in the pass game. It was Justin Jackson who handled 20 touches and totaled 94 yards while seeing six targets in the passing game in the wake of Austin Ekeler's severe hamstring injury. Jackson looks like the preferred back to have in fantasy, though things can obviously change weekly. The Chargers now have their bye week ahead of a Week 7 date with the Jaguars. Kelley will be a desperation RB3 play for that one.

Oct 13, 2020, 12:02 AM ET

Don't get it.  I think JJ just took over and ran better and Kelley could never get into a groove.  Hopefully game script changes next week.

Truly sucks. I don't know why JJ was in on so many more snaps. Outside JJ's one big run (and I could have gained 36 yards through that hole) their stat line on the ground is kinda similar, and neither looked stellar.

Was really hoping he'd be reliable flex play. I'm thinking Chase Edmonds is much better of a plug in at flex going forward. 
my guess is that they don't feel comfortable with kelley as a received and/or in pass pro, so having JJ in lets them disguise their looks a lot a better.  I agree that JJ didn't look amazing as a runner.

Watched the whole game. Looked like a hot-hand approach. JJ just looked like the better runner last night and I think they trust him more. Wouldn't surprise me if Kelley looks like the better runner after their bye and it's a wild dart throw as to which one gets more carries week to week. 

I'm still keeping him on the roster but it's clear the fumbles and pass protection have cost him his early chance. Maybe second half especially if Ekeler is still not 100% he can get back in there. 

The most discouraging part was first and goal from the 1, Kelley in the game, and they run play action and take a sack.
to be fair, this had to be more about the lack of trust on the oline than it was about Kelley. i mean, three defenders ran through that line before Herbert even got the ball in his hands.

You all can speak for yourselves, but I didn't have any expectations for him against either of the last 2 fronts. Story's different on the other side of the bye, so I hope his owner unloads him this week. 

You all can speak for yourselves, but I didn't have any expectations for him against either of the last 2 fronts. Story's different on the other side of the bye, so I hope his owner unloads him this week. 
You mean you think he gets his shot after the bye?

You mean you think he gets his shot after the bye?
He's getting shots. He's gonna keep getting shots. His competition isn't anything special. This offense sure looks strong with Herbert. And their schedule breaks heavily in a RB's favor on the other side.

That's a recipe for a stash. 

He's getting shots. He's gonna keep getting shots. His competition isn't anything special. This offense sure looks strong with Herbert. And their schedule breaks heavily in a RB's favor on the other side.

That's a recipe for a stash. 
Neither of them are. But Jackson started and saw more snaps, touches, and targets than Kelley. I think the Chargers wanted Kelley to be a big part of the offense, but he's done very little with his audition touches so they've slowly moved away from that idea. He'll obviously get touches while Ekeler is out, but he's the third back when everyone is healthy.

Neither of them are. But Jackson started and saw more snaps, touches, and targets than Kelley. I think the Chargers wanted Kelley to be a big part of the offense, but he's done very little with his audition touches so they've slowly moved away from that idea. He'll obviously get touches while Ekeler is out, but he's the third back when everyone is healthy.
Ekeler isn't a thing to worry about until he returns. That isn't anytime soon. 

Ekeler isn't a thing to worry about until he returns. That isn't anytime soon. 
True. And RB is so thin that I guess I agree that he’s a stash. Sorry for the nitpick. It’s just clear that he’s struggling and losing favor. I got him as a secondary piece in a dynasty trade and wanted to like him, watched every snap, and - oof.

True. And RB is so thin that I guess I agree that he’s a stash. Sorry for the nitpick. It’s just clear that he’s struggling and losing favor. I got him as a secondary piece in a dynasty trade and wanted to like him, watched every snap, and - oof.
Don't apologize - this is how we all get better. The 'RB is so thin' line is why he is still of interest to me. He's not on any of my dyno rosters and that was intentional. But for the immediate future? Obviously Mattison is the add for this week where available, but for those without that ability (everyone waiver priority #3 and down) who are you replacing Kelley with? Burkhead and D'Ernest (blegh) are the first two under 50% ownership. I could be talked into Duke and Breida. And then...(crickets).

It's fugly out there.

Users who are viewing this thread