What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joshua Kelley, LAC (1 Viewer)

He's a rookie in his first game with the lead back out. Let's not write off his future as a player who has failed.
I’m not writing him off or basing my opinion on one game. He could obviously put it together. I just think the game is too fast for him right now and doubt he’ll be a good flex option this season unless JJ goes down. 

I'm dropping Dobbins over him this week to pickup of a bye-filler QB. 

Would anyone hold Dobbins over Kelley?

I'm dropping Dobbins over him this week to pickup of a bye-filler QB. 

Would anyone hold Dobbins over Kelley?
Depends on the team.

One of mine with Dobbins is 3-2 and is the current high scorer - I have M Sanders, J Conner, J Robinson, A Gibson, and Dobbins. I can afford to be patient, so I'm finding out if Dobbins' role expands post bye with him stashed.

I have another team that is 4-1 and also the high scorer. BUT...my RB's are Zeke, Edmonds, Akers, and Chubb (IR). Hypothetically speaking, should both become available next week what I do likely depends on a win or loss this week. And if my place in the standings were worse then I absolutely would prioritize Kelley. 

The objective is to have the best team come December, but you have to get there first.

Depends on the team.

One of mine with Dobbins is 3-2 and is the current high scorer - I have M Sanders, J Conner, J Robinson, A Gibson, and Dobbins. I can afford to be patient, so I'm finding out if Dobbins' role expands post bye with him stashed.

I have another team that is 4-1 and also the high scorer. BUT...my RB's are Zeke, Edmonds, Akers, and Chubb (IR). Hypothetically speaking, should both become available next week what I do likely depends on a win or loss this week. And if my place in the standings were worse then I absolutely would prioritize Kelley. 

The objective is to have the best team come December, but you have to get there first.
Yeah, I'm 2-3 in my big money league and currently in 5th place behind four teams that are all 4-1. We have a 6-team playoff though, so that helps a lot. 

My RBs are CMC, Drake, Gibson, Edmonds, Freeman, Kelley, and Dobbins.

WRs are Godwin, AJ Brown, Diggs, and Shenault.

TEs are Gesicki, Hockenson, and Tonyan (I know this is a total taco move but my biggest weakness is TE right now).

QB is Wilson and he's on BYE which is what's forcing me to consider dropping someone I want to keep.

I really like my chances of making the playoffs, especially with Godwin and CMC coming back soon, but I also don't want to gift a player to another team that could come back to hurt me later (like Dobbins hitting a second-half blowup or Kelley blowing up after his BYE week).

MAC_32 said:
 who are you replacing Kelley with? Burkhead and D'Ernest (blegh) are the first two under 50% ownership. I could be talked into Duke and Breida. And then...(crickets).

It's fugly out there.
I am looking at dropping Kelley for Cooks.

With Kelley on a bye and given his own fugly performance, there may not be any takers so I *might* be able to snag him again on the other side of week 6.

Checking in on Joshua Kelley prospects with Justin Jackson in the mix and Ekeler out for a lil while with injury.

I posted this on another thread I started because nothing come up in the search bar.

Searched for Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson and got no lead threads.

With Ekeler out for a period of time these two names come to the front. Sounds like most liked how Justin rushed over Joshua in their one game out before the bye.

What happens from here on out? I see Justin rated higher this week, but Joshua rated higher for the ROS. Is that because Joshua compliments a return of Ekeler better then Justin? Just seeing what might come out of the LAC backfield so I can strategize moving forward. Throw into the mix Ekeler's injury could linger longer then previous thought.

Jackson is listed as Questionable this week with a knee.  Does it open the door for Kelly?
Jackson listed as limited in practice...on Wed.

That he's listed as questionable is a sign (to me) that he still plays and still gets the start. Things may change, but would be more concerned if JJ was out, or if we see him limited through today and tomorrow's practice.

That said, I nabbed Kelley again. My gut is churning that the whole "JJ is the lead back based on his last performance" is just that -- based on his last performance, and if he's dinged or Kelley clearly outplays him, the situation becomes reversed. This reversal isn't out of the realm of possibility as until last game, Kelley looked decent and was handling his duties fine.

With the news on Ekeler being out "longer rather than shorter" I am betting on Kelley just having a bad game last week, and his potential to be a strong contributor again going forwward until Kelley is back in a clear share. 

That JJ's knee is dinged makes it that much more appealing of a speculative add.

We'll see.

Jackson is listed as Questionable this week with a knee.  Does it open the door for Kelly?

Jackson listed as limited in practice...on Wed.

That he's listed as questionable is a sign (to me) that he still plays and still gets the start. Things may change, but would be more concerned if JJ was out, or if we see him limited through today and tomorrow's practice.

That said, I nabbed Kelley again. My gut is churning that the whole "JJ is the lead back based on his last performance" is just that -- based on his last performance, and if he's dinged or Kelley clearly outplays him, the situation becomes reversed. This reversal isn't out of the realm of possibility as until last game, Kelley looked decent and was handling his duties fine.

With the news on Ekeler being out "longer rather than shorter" I am betting on Kelley just having a bad game last week, and his potential to be a strong contributor again going forwward until Kelley is back in a clear share. 

That JJ's knee is dinged makes it that much more appealing of a speculative add.

We'll see.
What say you MoP? Kelley or Jackson? Who's the better option moving forward... 

MoP I picked up Kelley as a flyer and see Jackson available and was rated higher this week by FBG's, but Kelley higher ROS by FBG's. I think I may stand pat on Kelley sitting on my bench for now. 

What say you MoP? Kelley or Jackson? Who's the better option moving forward... 

MoP I picked up Kelley as a flyer and see Jackson available and was rated higher this week by FBG's, but Kelley higher ROS by FBG's. I think I may stand pat on Kelley sitting on my bench for now. 
Kelley all day and it’s not close. Jackson is brittle 

Anyone with an opinion on Kelley vs Cooks in PPR?

Both guys are boom bust and Kelley has the better matchup and JJ with a sore knee, but Hou is bound to have to throw to keep up with GB.

Anyone with an opinion on Kelley vs Cooks in PPR?

Both guys are boom bust and Kelley has the better matchup and JJ with a sore knee, but Hou is bound to have to throw to keep up with GB.
You sure don't have confidence in starting Brandin Cooks. 

I don't know much about Kelly and for some reason I have been too lazy to learn more about him. I have seen him play a little bit. I was not impressed. In the game I did see I thought Jackson who I think is okay but just a guy himself was better than him.

I guess the volume Kelly could get if Jackson isn't able to go is worth considering. I think Cooks is a much better player than Kelly is but opportunity gets you more points.

So I read the thread and I looked at Kellys stats so far this year.

He is only getting 3.2 ypc so far. Thats not so good. He has caught every target though and if your league is PPR thats maybe all you need him to do.

Game day update: Justin Jackson is expected to play on Sunday, per Adam Schefter.

Los Angeles Chargers running back Justin Jackson is listed as questionable on this week’s injury report. He has been dealing with a knee injury. However, he was able to practice all week, getting limited work on Wednesday and Thursday, before being a full participant on Friday. That’s a good sign that he will suit up this week against the Jacksonville Jaguars. LINK

You sure don't have confidence in starting Brandin Cooks. 

I don't know much about Kelly and for some reason I have been too lazy to learn more about him. I have seen him play a little bit. I was not impressed. In the game I did see I thought Jackson who I think is okay but just a guy himself was better than him.

I guess the volume Kelly could get if Jackson isn't able to go is worth considering. I think Cooks is a much better player than Kelly is but opportunity gets you more points.
I appreciate, and you're right -- I don't have a lot of faith in Cooks. Or Kelley for that matter. Comes with their boom/bust nature.

Kelly had a respectably 12+ points in PPR splitting time in Games 1 and 2 and has barely cracked 5 the last three.

Cooks started off week on with 3 points, netting 13, then 4, 0, 30, and 18 for his next 5 games.

They are both unpredictable and have burned me whenever I try to start either. 

In terms of projections this week, not sure I see huge separation between them either.

But I do appreciate your indulgence -- your insight always delivers rational argument and data, and is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate, and you're right -- I don't have a lot of faith in Cooks. Or Kelley for that matter. Comes with their boom/bust nature.

Kelly had a respectably 12+ points in PPR splitting time in Games 1 and 2 and has barely cracked 5 the last three.

Cooks started off week on with 3 points, netting 13, then 4, 0, 30, and 18 for his next 5 games.

They are both unpredictable and have burned me whenever I try to start either. 

In terms of projections this week, not sure I see huge separation between them either.

But I do appreciate your indulgence -- your insight always delivers rational argument and data, and is greatly appreciated!
I guess my thought is that you should try to trade Cooks and Kelly for someone you would feel better about starting at flex than these two.

Kelley seemed to be the lead back at least from the box score but that didn't amount to much in game. Anyone know if Jackson came out of it healthy?

Chargers RB Joshua Kelley led the team's backfield in snaps against the Jaguars. 

Kelley played 38 snaps to Justin Jackson's 31 in the Chargers' Week 7 win. The rookie rushed 12 times for 29 yards while Jackson notched five carries for 12 yards. Jackson, who saw six targets against Jacksonville, remains the primary pass-catching back with Austin Ekeler (hamstring) out. For now, Kelley looks like he'll get a decent number of carries when the Chargers have game script on their side. 

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Oct 26, 2020, 1:00 PM ET

Starting for sure if Allen is out.  Would probably get 5 additional passing targets meaning like 3 for 20 extra which is a big 5 point boost.

If Allen plays then I'm not sure I can start him.

Joshua Kelley rushed seven times for 21 yards in Week 10 against the Dolphins.

Kelley took a backseat to Kalen Ballage, who had 23 touches. It's the third straight week the Chargers have played him in the No. 2 role.  Ballage wasn't very effective on his touches, so there's a chance Kelley could be more involved next week. Even with a matchup against the Jets, Kelley should be treated as an RB4.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshua Kelley missed Wednesday's practice with a foot injury.

Kelley did not handle a single carry in Week 13 with both Austin Ekeler and Kalen Ballage active for the first time together. After a promising start to the season by handling 37 touches in the opening two games, Kelley likely will finish his first season with zero fantasy relevancy.

Dec 9, 2020, 8:32 PM ET

Joshua Kelley (foot) is inactive for Week 14 against the Falcons.

Kelley only got in one full practice this week but was left off the injury report. This looks like a healthy scratch, though Kelley's foot injury likely played a role in the decision. With Troymaine Pope (neck) also inactive, the Chargers will continue to go with a committee of Austin Ekeler and Kalen Ballage.

Dec 13, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports that RB Joshua Kelley appears to be "firmly in the lead" to backup Austin Ekeler.​

Kelley started the Chargers' preseason game against the Rams and totaled 44 yards on six touches. Popper reports that in Tuesday's practice, Kelley continued to lead Larry Rountree and Isaiah Spiller—the other two backs competing with him—in first-team reps. "Kelley was the first running back to catch a pass in seven-on-seven. He was the first running back on the field in the opening 11-on-11 period. He got the second carry, behind Ekeler, in the second 11-on-11 period, taking a pitch up the middle on a second down. And Kelley carried out of shotgun on the opening rep of the red zone 11-on-11 period." After the Chargers drafted Isaiah Spiller in the fourth round, he was widely assumed to be the favorite to win the backup job, settling into an early double-digit round ADP. However, to begin the season at least, it appears that Kelley will be in that role. Spiller drafters should be prepared to play the long game.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 17, 2022, 9:41 AM ET

So what happens now? With Kelley coming back soon does he jump back into being Ekler's backup or does Spiller remain ahead of him? My total guess is that since Kelley beat out spiller pre season and Spiller really hasnt done much while Kelley has been away Kelley gets the job back. Total speculation though as I cant find any info out there.

So what happens now?

I don't know, but I do know that without an Ekeler injury, both are pretty much useless. I would assume Kelley gets his job back, but that's also an assumption. It's a coaches' decision that only game usage will tell us, really.
Ive been scouring the web and the forum for info even before it was announced he was set to return (which was why I ended up in the spiller thread lol) I was down to Ekler and Stevenson at rb after 3 injuries to rbs. Somebody unexpectedly dropped Murray right before denver parted ways with Melvin Gordon and I won him with what I thought was a lowball bid of 42 out of 200 faab so I am considerably less desperate now.

So what happens now?

I don't know, but I do know that without an Ekeler injury, both are pretty much useless. I would assume Kelley gets his job back, but that's also an assumption. It's a coaches' decision that only game usage will tell us, really.
Ive been scouring the web and the forum for info even before it was announced he was set to return (which was why I ended up in the spiller thread lol) I was down to Ekler and Stevenson at rb after 3 injuries to rbs. Somebody unexpectedly dropped Murray right before denver parted ways with Melvin Gordon and I won him with what I thought was a lowball bid of 42 out of 200 faab so I am considerably less desperate now.
What about Kelley?

So what happens now?

What about Kelley?
Well I WAS trying to figure out when he was coming back. Now that he is back I was trying to figure out if he or spiller would be Eklers backup....Now I have Murray unexpectedly its not such a priority figuring out who the handcuff to Ekler is...( But I picked up Kelley anyway figuring spiller had his chance and didnt do much with it)

So what happens now?

What about Kelley?
Well I WAS trying to figure out when he was coming back. Now that he is back I was trying to figure out if he or spiller would be Eklers backup....Now I have Murray unexpectedly its not such a priority figuring out who the handcuff to Ekler is...( But I picked up Kelley anyway figuring spiller had his chance and didnt do much with it)

I don't think 15 carries qualifies as "had his chance"

So what happens now?

What about Kelley?

I don't think 15 carries qualifies as "had his chance"
Well he had a chance to win the backup job in pre season and was beaten out by kelley. He has had his second chance and in 3 games averaged less than 2.9 yards per carry ( the last 2 games he had 8 carries for a terrible 14 yards). Do you suggest they give him more carries and bench ekler to let that happen? Bottom line somebody will be the backup to ekler. In 2 chances imo spiller is o for 2. Yes its a small sample size but that sample size is over 3 games.... Michel has gotten 1 carry per game those 3 games. Bottom line is SOMEBODY will be eklers backup. Theplan was to have ekler have less of a load this year and both spiller and michel havent done well.... Kelley at least averaged better than either of the other 2. He is back active and I expect him to be Eklers backup. They may well give spiller more games...but I wouldnt.

Last edited:

New Chargers OC Kellen Moore said he "saw Josh Kelley start to develop a role" in 2022.​

It's sort of a confusing quote from Moore because he followed that up with "hopefully, we develop two or three guys in there that can take turns," but perhaps he was just talking about Kelley splitting more time with Austin Ekeler. Given how often he mentioned Kelley (three times) and how little he mentioned the other non-Ekeler backs (zero times), it's probably safe to say that Kelley holds the backup duties for the Chargers heading into the offseason. Isaiah Spiller could make a push for the job in the offseason if he shows out.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Chargers.com
Feb 2, 2023, 2:41 PM ET

I have a feeling people are going to spend too much on Kelley for waivers. Exeler may be hurt, but how bad really?

He was in an almost 50/50 timeshare with Ekeler in a very close game, not just in snaps, but actual rushing attempts as well. While I wouldn't expect a 50/50 timeshare all the time, it feels pretty clear they trust him and plan on using him a lot. Not sure what people's league settings are, but he could be the best RB you get on waivers all season long. Not understanding people who are underselling this usage. The Ekeler ankle issue doesn't even have to come into play to suggest you spend a sizable chunk of FAAB on this guy. I'd rather roster him than most of the RBs drafted in the last 5 rounds of your standard draft.

He was in an almost 50/50 timeshare with Ekeler in a very close game, not just in snaps, but actual rushing attempts as well. While I wouldn't expect a 50/50 timeshare all the time, it feels pretty clear they trust him and plan on using him a lot. Not sure what people's league settings are, but he could be the best RB you get on waivers all season long. Not understanding people who are underselling this usage. The Ekeler ankle issue doesn't even have to come into play to suggest you spend a sizable chunk of FAAB on this guy. I'd rather roster him than most of the RBs drafted in the last 5 rounds of your standard draft.

I just picked him up this AM for free. Hard to believe no-one bid on him. There is definite potential here even without an Ekeler injury.

I know it was just one game, but he looked like a different player Sunday. Ran decisively and with burst that I hadn't seen previously.

Ultimately I trust him more than I trust Kyren Williams and bid accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread