What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest RUSH songs of all-time (featuring # 1 from the 1970's) (1 Viewer)

16. Natural Science (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)

When I first got into Rush, several friends remarked to me that Natural Science was Neil Peart's most impressive song from a drumming standpoint, a bold statement for sure.  It is certainly in the conversation.   I sometimes forget how awesome this song is, and then I turn it on and get smacked in the face, by both the greatness of the song and the reminder! LOL  I love the flow and arrangement, how we get the soft opening section featuring just Geddy's voice, Alex's acoustic and water effects, before getting to rock out for the remainder of the song about two minutes in.  The third section has one of my favorite Alex solos, which unfortunately was omitted (along with the "Art as expression..." verse) when they tweaked the live arrangement starting in 1997.  Oh well, it is still there in the original for me to enjoy. Great, great song.

"Living in their pools, they soon forgot about the sea."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7W0Nm8iHwk
I remember hearing this live for the very first time on the Test For Echo tour. My first tour was Signals. So they never played this tune.....ever (in my touring life with the band) until a cold 1997 September evening down here in South Florida (along with 2112 complete to end the first set). It was amazing. This is a top 10 Rush song on my personal list. Just incredible. What I loved about Permanent Waves (my absolute number 1 Rush album) was the way they were able to write much more concise songs and even the longer epics like Jacobs Ladder and this incredible song was they were more focused and to the point and at the same time still musically complex. They were making a lot more out of less at this point and this song and album proved they were going to be a force for decades to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
14. Territories (from the 1985 album Power Windows)

What a ####### awesome song. That was pretty much my first impression of it, and nearly 30 years after first hearing it, that is still my impression every time I hear it.  The drum fill Neil does immediately after the second line listed below is one of my favorites (so simple, yet perfectly placed and executed), and this is arguably his lyrical masterpiece, featuring a topic that is just as relevant today as it was in the mid 80's.   I was ecstatic beyond words when I finally got to see them play this when it was brought back on the Clockwork Angels tour.  I almost feel like putting it at 14 is underrating it. ;)

"We see so many tribes -- overrun and undermined
While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind
Better people -- better food -- and better beer
Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
The bosses get talking so tough
And if that wasn't evil enough
We get the drunken and passionate pride
Of the citizens along for the ride"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0ma5X7-P0
This is a huge surprise. And while I love this song, it is not nearly as high on my list. What is to me so amazing about this song is Alex’s performance on it. His use of far east influences on this diddy is what set’s the mood so well and transports you to China on this song. Neil did a ton of traveling (and cycling) in the far east and this song was evident of that. The lyrics are oh so relevant today. In fact Power Windows transcends so well to todays world we live in. 

A wonderful song live. One I got to see on the HYF tour and then like you a huge treat on the CA tour. In fact the CA tour was for us 80’s Rush babies. It was a throwback to the synth era....that entire set list was filled with so much 80’s synth era goodness. One of my top 3 tours easily. Amazing.

13. Subdivisions (from the 1982 album Signals)

I have lost track at how many times I have seen someone say how much the lyrics to this spoke to them about their high school life.  I know I have gushed a lot about Neil's lyrics, but for me, the 80's are when Neil was at his best lyrically, and this is one of the most notable ones.  And not only are the lyrics great, but it's awesome musically as well.  The opening synth is so warm and inviting, and then the band really shows how much they were looking to change things as the 80's moved forward.  This is probably their most popular post-Moving Pictures song, and it is one of my favorite post-MP songs as well (but not my number 1 favorite :P ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU
Top 5 song for me GR. 

I remember seeing the video premiered on MTV (when MTV was amazing) in 1982. Signals was my first Rush record that I eagerly anticipated after becoming a huge fan in 1981 with Moving Pictures. As a wide eyed 12 year old.....yeah the song spoke to me big time. I hated clicks, hated the BS popular crowd as I entered middle school and people that were your friends all thru elementary school all of sudden formed their own tribes.....it was a culture shock for me. I was going through some very tough times during the Signals and Grace Under Pressure era’s as a teenage boy with divorced parents and being shuttled back and forth between them....getting mixed messages....all kinds of crap. But Rush was the rock (along with baseball and my guitar) for me. They were the band and the music that inspired me to reach higher. I can’t say that enough about their music and the impact that it still.....to this day has had on me. 

Subdivisions is a generational song. One of the best they ever wrote. And you are spot on about Neils lyrics. His 80’s period was his absolute best. And it is not close for me.

This is a huge surprise. And while I love this song, it is not nearly as high on my list. What is to me so amazing about this song is Alex’s performance on it. His use of far east influences on this diddy is what set’s the mood so well and transports you to China on this song. Neil did a ton of traveling (and cycling) in the far east and this song was evident of that. The lyrics are oh so relevant today. In fact Power Windows transcends so well to todays world we live in. 

A wonderful song live. One I got to see on the HYF tour and then like you a huge treat on the CA tour. In fact the CA tour was for us 80’s Rush babies. It was a throwback to the synth era....that entire set list was filled with so much 80’s synth era goodness. One of my top 3 tours easily. Amazing.
Hard to argue with this.  I saw Rush 12 times (every tour from 1991 till 2015), and it is hard to top the 2002 tour (first tour in five years, amazing set list, the utter thrill of them being back), but the Clockwork Angels show was damn amazing, too.  All of those songs from Clockwork Angels, tons of songs from Power Windows, the return to the set list of both The Analog Kid and Where's My Thing, the amazing encore of Tom Sawyer and 2112.  As great a job as they did with the set lists over the years, that tour was one of their best.

11. The Trees (from the 1978 album Hemispheres)

When I got into Rush in late '91/'92, this ended up being one of the last Rush albums I got, and when I got to this song, I was like, damn, why hadn't anyone told me about this song??  The intro with the classical guitar grabbed me right away.  And the rest of the song is stellar as well.  The instrumental section is such a well crafted jam, starting off with the keys and Neil's percussion before erupting into an all-out rock fest before finishing off the song in glorious fashion.   The brightness and warm tones of this songs really shine through on the studio recording, largely thanks to the production of Hemispheres, which I feel was an upgrade over the more gritty and harsh tones of A Farewell to Kings. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1eEuNxg7U

Wow, I thought there would be some chatter about a classic like The Trees. :confused:

Anyway, below are the four albums not being featured in this top 50 and my thoughts on each.  Feel free to discuss these albums and songs on them as well. :cool:

Rush - A nice solid debut, and a good hard rock record with nothing too fancy. They stretch out a little on the bluesy Here Again, which is one of my favorites, but the rest is mostly good old-fashioned hard rock.  What You're Doing has long been my favorite, and I like Finding My Way a lot as well.  Working Man is the big classic from it, and I do like it, but it has never been a favorite of mine at all.  Always fun to see live, though.

Test for Echo - My least favorite Rush record.  I still listened to it non-stop for months after its release, but a lot of it has not aged well, although I still like Resist a lot, and others I still enjoy are the title track, Driven, Half the World, Limbo and Carve Away the Stone.  Dog Years and Virtuality both have killer riffs and are enjoyable on a superficial, but both get sunk by uncharacteristically bad lyrics by Neil.  Time and Motion is awful and in contention for worst Rush song ever.

Vapor Trails - I like this record, but the sound of it is punishing; it's so damn loud, and I get ear fatigue if I listen to too many songs from it in a row.  That said, it does rock like crazy, almost like their way if saying, "We're back," after their nearly 5-year sabbatical.  Freeze and Nocturne are my favorites, and I also like Vapor Trail, Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom and Ghost Rider (the inspiration for my user name!) quite a bit.

Snakes & Arrows - I was a big fan of this when it first came out, and I still like it, but none of the songs really aged as being great. Most of the songs fall under the "good" category.  It's an easy, fun listen, even if no songs jump out at me as a must-have.  Favorites are Armor and Sword, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, Bravest Face and MalNar. 

Wow, I thought there would be some chatter about a classic like The Trees. :confused:

Anyway, below are the four albums not being featured in this top 50 and my thoughts on each.  Feel free to discuss these albums and songs on them as well. :cool:

Rush - A nice solid debut, and a good hard rock record with nothing too fancy. They stretch out a little on the bluesy Here Again, which is one of my favorites, but the rest is mostly good old-fashioned hard rock.  What You're Doing has long been my favorite, and I like Finding My Way a lot as well.  Working Man is the big classic from it, and I do like it, but it has never been a favorite of mine at all.  Always fun to see live, though.

Test for Echo - My least favorite Rush record.  I still listened to it non-stop for months after its release, but a lot of it has not aged well, although I still like Resist a lot, and others I still enjoy are the title track, Driven, Half the World, Limbo and Carve Away the Stone.  Dog Years and Virtuality both have killer riffs and are enjoyable on a superficial, but both get sunk by uncharacteristically bad lyrics by Neil.  Time and Motion is awful and in contention for worst Rush song ever.

Vapor Trails - I like this record, but the sound of it is punishing; it's so damn loud, and I get ear fatigue if I listen to too many songs from it in a row.  That said, it does rock like crazy, almost like their way if saying, "We're back," after their nearly 5-year sabbatical.  Freeze and Nocturne are my favorites, and I also like Vapor Trail, Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom and Ghost Rider (the inspiration for my user name!) quite a bit.

Snakes & Arrows - I was a big fan of this when it first came out, and I still like it, but none of the songs really aged as being great. Most of the songs fall under the "good" category.  It's an easy, fun listen, even if no songs jump out at me as a must-have.  Favorites are Armor and Sword, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, Bravest Face and MalNar. 
I think you missed a half dozen songs in the top 50....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-pDU3N-8Xk&list=PLF2C7B83252950976&index=1

When I got into Rush in late '91/'92, this ended up being one of the last Rush albums I got, and when I got to this song, I was like, damn, why hadn't anyone told me about this song??  The intro with the classical guitar grabbed me right away.  And the rest of the song is stellar as well.  The instrumental section is such a well crafted jam, starting off with the keys and Neil's percussion before erupting into an all-out rock fest before finishing off the song in glorious fashion.   The brightness and warm tones of this songs really shine through on the studio recording, largely thanks to the production of Hemispheres, which I feel was an upgrade over the more gritty and harsh tones of A Farewell to Kings. 

Lots of people don't like this.  Great song IMO.  I'd have it one or two higher.

I dig the Trees a lot. for many of us who discovered Rush in the early 80s with Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left was the gateway drug to their older/longer songs. The version of Trees/Xanadu on Exit is the quintessential version of those songs for me. 
I’d have the Trees in my top 50 but probably not top 20. Still a great song and outstanding performances by all 3. Plus the lyrics are a perfect example of the combo of intelligent plus social commentary that Neil does so well. 

I like their first album for the raw simplicity (and some of the Neil versions from All The Worlds A Stage are much more interesting versions to me). But I agree that none of those songs would likely make my personal top 50. 

and those other 3 albums are my bottom 3 as well. Vapor Trails has the most "good" songs but even then I tend to skip songs from that album, as well as songs from TFE and S&A when they show up on shuffle. I’ll even add Clockwork Angels to the list as my 4th least favorite (their 1st album is better than CA imo). Again a few good songs on CA but nothing that wants me to come back to them. They were on a steady downhill slope from Counterparts up until the end.

Rush - Working Man is a timeless classic from them. I love this song. What Your Doing is my favorite from the debut. A pure Led Zeppelin inspired romp and the ATWAS version is my signature go to version of this song. I am kinda stunned you did not have Working Man in your tp 50

Test For Echo - I really like this album. The title track is a killer tune to this day. Driven is also another kick ### song. But my favorite from this album and the inspiration for my handle here (except I replaced the “T” with a “D”) is Totem. I love Neils lyrics and the music for this song just hits all the right spots for me. It is a such a cool groove and a really different kind Rush song. 

“Angels and demons dancing in my head

Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed

Media messiahs preying on my fears

Pop culture profits playing in my ears"

"I believe in what I see 

I believe in what I hear

I believe that what I am feeling

Changes how the world appears"

Vapor Trails - I agree with you to almost a tee on this record. I remember being so thrilled they were back. But when I listened to the album the first time through I was really disappointed in the mix and way too hot master. It was really rough. Almost like they recorded some tracks way too hot as well. It felt like a cut and paste record in many spots and takes stiched together. Just very unlike the high high production standards the band had established. It took them something like 19 months to get this all finished and you could tell. However there are some really really good songs in there. Ghost Rider, Secret Touch, Nocturne, Earthshine, Freeze, Sweet Miracle, One Little Victory and Ceiling Unlimted are all kick ### Rush songs. But the title Track....oh my. This song is a top 50 song for me personally. Just a really really good Rush song that oozes classic 80’s Rush. This was a tough album for Alex though. He was really being experimental and he purposely did not do guitar solo’s on any songs for the most part. I thought it was a lousy approach by him and sonically it was easily his weakest effort. 

Snakes And Arrows - was the polar opposite of Vapor Trails. And this was an Alex record. Armor & Sword (my handle on Operation Sports) is my absolute favorite on Snakes and a top 50 tune for me. Far Cry was a big time rocker. The Main Monkey Business , Malignant Narcissism, Bravest Face and The Way The Wind Blows are all stand out tracks for me. The Production was a massive return to form after the mix and master disaster of VT (The remix of VT is meh and only did justice to a few tunes while most lost their bite from it). 

As far as The Trees......awesome tune. And I agree 100% with Joey. The Exit Stage Left Broons Bane/The Trees/Xanadu suite is quite possibly the best album side of any record I have ever heard. And it was the gateway drug to older Rush albums for me. 

kevzilla said:
I appreciate the effort GR has put into this, but I feel compelled to state that without Working Man, none of us would have ever heard of this band. How is it not in the Top 50? 
Because it is not one of my 50 favorite Rush songs.  A song being important does not necessarily make me like it more.

Todem said:
Test For Echo - I really like this album. The title track is a killer tune to this day. Driven is also another kick ### song. But my favorite from this album and the inspiration for my handle here (except I replaced the “T” with a “D”) is Totem. I love Neils lyrics and the music for this song just hits all the right spots for me. It is a such a cool groove and a really different kind Rush song.
I was a big fan of Totem when Test for Echo first hit the streets, but it didn't age that well for me.

Well I have 20 songs for 10 spots.  If I exclude the 8 tunes on Rush  :penalty:  that still leaves songs of the top of my head that should be in the top fifty and I'm probably missing a couple.

Getting to the top ten, I find some conflict in the 11-20 range.  

20. Limelight (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)  Definitely top 10 for me.  My favorite song from MP.  I am not sure its possible for me to overplay this one.  Just love it.

19. Dreamline (from the 1991 album Roll the Bones)  Very nice ranking for a great song.  I found a karaoke version of the whole RTB album, and was cranking this out the other night.  

18. Red Sector A (originally from the 1984 album Grace Under Pressure)  I have already said its top ten for me, which makes 3 GUP songs in top ten?   :whistle:

17. By-Tor and the Snow Dog (from the 1975 album Fly by Night)  Not for me.  I already stated the early long songs don't do it for me.  I don't have the patience.  I want to get to the next GREAT Rush song.  

16. Natural Science (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves) No argument from me.  Love this song.  My favorite from PW, close to Entre Nous (#50 on this list)

15. YYZ (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)  I'll get killed for this, but as a singer, its hard for me to put an instrumental (I'm expecting one more) in my top 50.  Great songs, and I love them, but I need words.  I almost think of them as a totally different type of music when listening.  There are times when I really love em, and other times I skip.  

14. Territories (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  Perfect placement.  Love this song.  Incidentally, Marathon just came across my shuffle, and that is such a good song as well.  I have very specific memories of PW, and this and Marathon really bring out that nostalgia for me.

13. Subdivisions (from the 1982 album Signals)  Hard to argue this anywhere in the top 20.  I think its a little higher for me.

12. Freewill (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Another hot take.  This is my least favorite off of PW.  It is a good song, but I don't love it.  There is just so much more on that album that drives me.  I want to get to those songs when I listen, and Freewill gets in the way.  Flame away.   :bag:

11. The Trees (from the 1978 album Hemispheres)  After I overplayed the hell out of Mystic Rhythms, The Trees became my favorite Rush song.  Its placed perfectly for me as it has lost some luster, but it will always be one of my favorites.  

Getting to the top ten, I find some conflict in the 11-20 range.  

20. Limelight (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)  Definitely top 10 for me.  My favorite song from MP.  I am not sure its possible for me to overplay this one.  Just love it.

19. Dreamline (from the 1991 album Roll the Bones)  Very nice ranking for a great song.  I found a karaoke version of the whole RTB album, and was cranking this out the other night.  

18. Red Sector A (originally from the 1984 album Grace Under Pressure)  I have already said its top ten for me, which makes 3 GUP songs in top ten?   :whistle:

17. By-Tor and the Snow Dog (from the 1975 album Fly by Night)  Not for me.  I already stated the early long songs don't do it for me.  I don't have the patience.  I want to get to the next GREAT Rush song.  

16. Natural Science (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves) No argument from me.  Love this song.  My favorite from PW, close to Entre Nous (#50 on this list)

15. YYZ (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)  I'll get killed for this, but as a singer, its hard for me to put an instrumental (I'm expecting one more) in my top 50.  Great songs, and I love them, but I need words.  I almost think of them as a totally different type of music when listening.  There are times when I really love em, and other times I skip.  

14. Territories (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  Perfect placement.  Love this song.  Incidentally, Marathon just came across my shuffle, and that is such a good song as well.  I have very specific memories of PW, and this and Marathon really bring out that nostalgia for me.

13. Subdivisions (from the 1982 album Signals)  Hard to argue this anywhere in the top 20.  I think its a little higher for me.

12. Freewill (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Another hot take.  This is my least favorite off of PW.  It is a good song, but I don't love it.  There is just so much more on that album that drives me.  I want to get to those songs when I listen, and Freewill gets in the way.  Flame away.   :bag:

11. The Trees (from the 1978 album Hemispheres)  After I overplayed the hell out of Mystic Rhythms, The Trees became my favorite Rush song.  Its placed perfectly for me as it has lost some luster, but it will always be one of my favorites.  
Agree on Limelight, but you deserve to get killed on YYZ.  Personally I'll all over the map on Freewill.

My thoughts on the 4 albums not represented.  I will also say that I was right on 3 of 4 when the guessing was early.  I had Fly by Night (which I admit I was wrong) instead of Test for Echo.

I have already stated What You're Doing is tops for me on this album.  None of the other songs are a must listen, but I do like them all.  I just skip them from time to time when I'm not in the mood for that rawness of the album.  

Test for Echo.  There are just too many good songs on here to leave it off completely.  Driven is so good.  Such a driving (haha) song and I love the bass line throughout.  In fact, the first four songs are just really good for me.  The rest of the album is mediocre at best until the last song, Carve Away the Stone.  Not a great song, but catchy, and I like singing along to it.

Vapor Trails.  I could do without this album, honestly.  There are a lot of good tunes, but as already mentioned, its just too heavy for my aging ears.  One Little Victory and Ceiling Unlimited stand out for me.  I also like Freeze.  The stars look down is in contention for worst Rush song ever made (not including Feedback).

Snakes and Arrows.  I loved Workin' Them Angels when this first came out.  I probably overplayed this whole album because I was so starved for new Rush at the time.  VP just didn't do it for me.  I also like We Hold On, and the intro to Far Cry is actually my ring tone.  I still haven't had anyone recognize it.  

Let the top 10 begin... :headbang:

10. Mission (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)

What an amazing tune.  This is another tune that wowed me from the start and was integral during my discovery phase as a Rush diehard.   The whole song is great, but the last two minutes in particular is out of this world great, and I still want to smack them a little for fading out the song during Alex's awesome solo. Fortunately, the live version (link below) always saw the band bring the song to its true and glorious ending. 

"It's cold comfort
To the ones without it
To know how they struggled
How they suffered about it

If their lives were exotic and strange
They would likely have gladly exchanged them
For something a little more plain
Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price
For our visions of paradise
But a spirit with a vision
Is a dream with a mission"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNn3zI2bCHw

Maybe after GR is done and we dissect his picks, we should post our top 10.
I might have to do top 20.  Not sure I can encapsulate my love with just 10 songs.  

On a side note, I am interested to see the final 10.  I have about 8 that I am really expecting to pop up, but I also am expecting a couple surprises in there.  Done a good job mixing it up so far.  

What an amazing tune.  This is another tune that wowed me from the start and was integral during my discovery phase as a Rush diehard.   The whole song is great, but the last two minutes in particular is out of this world great, and I still want to smack them a little for fading out the song during Alex's awesome solo. Fortunately, the live version (link below) always saw the band bring the song to its true and glorious ending. 

"It's cold comfort
To the ones without it

WHOA!!!!  Totally surprised and thoroughly impressed.  GREAT GREAT song.   You already had my respect, but now you have my adoration.   :wub:

Agree on Limelight, but you deserve to get killed on YYZ.  Personally I'll all over the map on Freewill.
I actually agree with you on YYZ.  I do deserve to get killed for it.  I recognize the greatness of it, but its just a different kind of listen for me.  

ETA:  Probably because I never play guitar or drums. 

Because it is not one of my 50 favorite Rush songs.  A song being important does not necessarily make me like it more.
When I realized the Rush album was excluded and Working Man wasn’t going to make the list, this top 50 became even more interesting to me. I’m not sure Working Man makes my top 50 either, but it a list with less effort invested would feel compelled to list this in the forties. 

Ghost, appreciate reading your list.  :headbang:

"It's cold comfort
To the ones without it

Love this song! Not sure If it ends up in my top 15-20 (which I already mentioned I plan on posting once GR is done. Great to hear others will as well) but Mission quite simply SOARS. The end solo is killer, as GR already mentioned, and the middle bridge/breakdown section is so damn good. Such interesting and diverse parts throughout this song. 

this song and Second Nature have a very similar, uplifting vibe for me  I love them both and I love to sing along (as best I can ;)  ) to both of them as I crank it up  

thanks for sharing that live version from '88. I believe I saw them on that tour but have never seen that video. 

Mission is a top 5 Rush song for me and probably the most inspiring song I have ever heard in my entire life. This song truly has always lifted me up and driven me to be better. 

I was so elated when they finally brought it back out on tour on the Snakes and Arrows tour.....and it sounded amazing. Neils cymbals on the Snakes Live version sizzle like Satan on this tune. Alex’s outro solo may be one of his finest moments as a guitarist in this band and ironically he was at his most ill tempered height after they recorded Hold Your Fire. Yet.....he has some of very best guitar work on HYF (Mission, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Turn The Page, High Water all incredibly ethereal, cutting edge, rhythmic blasts, just brilliant stuff going on during the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire period). 

Mission is Rush Gold. 

P.S That A Show Of Hands version is incredible GR.

Maybe after GR is done and we dissect his picks, we should post our top 10.
I'm pretty sure it would have to be Top 20 for me.  I tried to make a homemade CD (turned into 2) once of just my favorite Rush tunes and at 85 minutes per CD, I could only fit about 16 on there.  I had a devil of a time picking the final few.

I'm also pretty sure that we would all have a different mix.  I've found that as I grow older, my favorites have changed a lot.  When my son was in percussion, he made me look at Rush in a whole new way, and songs that I once skimmed over became favorites.

Again- thanks Ghost Rider for doing this.  Still look for this thread first when I get home from work.

Well actually 6:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5VuBzo-Qc

Do you like this version @Ghost Rider?
It's fine, but honestly I don't listen to any version of the song enough to pick out any as a favorite

@Ghost Rider Has this list been fixed since the start of the thread or has there been last minute shuffling and further thought on placements?
I pretty much listen to the song from the YT link that I put in the post every time I am doing a write-up, and there have been a few I thought I should have had higher and vice versa, but ultimately I have left the list as originally done before starting the thread.

9. Leave That Thing Alone (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

And here we have another song that wowed me on the first listen.  I remember hearing this and thinking after the first listen that it was Alex's attempt at doing a guitar hero-type song, like the ones Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson did in the early 90's, but future listens revealed there was so much to it than that.  As much as Alex owns it with that main melody and his killer solo, Geddy and Neil crush it as well, laying down a helluva groove.  This packs an incredible punch for an instrumental that barely breaks the 4-minute mark. This is my favorite post-80's Rush song. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSltmTaK6Y

Time and Motion is awful and in contention for worst Rush song ever.
Would love to hear your thoughts, and others, on this as well.

I know Tai Shan gets panned by a lot of Rush diehards, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure I could name a "worst" of my own ... I just haven't spent enough time on the first or last couple of albums to know them well enough beyond the "familiar" ones.

And here we have another song that wowed me on the first listen.  I remember hearing this and thinking after the first listen that it was Alex's attempt at doing a guitar hero-type song, like the ones Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson did in the early 90's, but future listens revealed there was so much to it than that.  As much as Alex owns it with that main melody and his killer solo, Geddy and Neil crush it as well, laying down a helluva groove.  This packs an incredible punch for an instrumental that barely breaks the 4-minute mark. This is my favorite post-80's Rush song. :cool:

Good tune.  Reminds me of Santriani.

not close to top 10 for me but a really good song for sure. I think it's not a stretch to say that Counterparts was their last best album from beginning to end for the most part. Some good/great moments on their remaining 5 records but nothing as consistent as this album.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and others, on this as well.

I know Tai Shan gets panned by a lot of Rush diehards, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure I could name a "worst" of my own ... I just haven't spent enough time on the first or last couple of albums to know them well enough beyond the "familiar" ones.
Tai Shan isn't great, but I don't think it's quite as bad as many fans, or even Alex and Geddy, think it is.  It would be near the bottom, but if I had to spitball 10 songs as their worst/least best, I'd go with:

Need Some Love (not a bad little rocker, but the hooks just aren't there)
Take a Friend (just bland)
Rivendell (boring and lame)
I Think I'm Going Bald (no bueno)
Madrigal (another boring one)
The Color of Right (there was a good melody in there, but it just didn't come together)
Time and Motion (not good at all)
One Little Victory (biggest tease ever - the intro is awesome, but then the rest of the song is yucky; ugly vocal melodies and just a loud song with no memorable melodies)
The Stars Look Down (some cool things in the chorus, but the verses are weak and the main riff is clunky and a mess)
We Hold On (boring)

Tai Shan isn't great, but I don't think it's quite as bad as many fans, or even Alex and Geddy, think it is.  It would be near the bottom, but if I had to spitball 10 songs as their worst/least best, I'd go with:

Need Some Love (not a bad little rocker, but the hooks just aren't there)
Take a Friend (just bland)
Rivendell (boring and lame)
I Think I'm Going Bald (no bueno)
Madrigal (another boring one)
The Color of Right (there was a good melody in there, but it just didn't come together)
Time and Motion (not good at all)
One Little Victory (biggest tease ever - the intro is awesome, but then the rest of the song is yucky; ugly vocal melodies and just a loud song with no memorable melodies)
The Stars Look Down (some cool things in the chorus, but the verses are weak and the main riff is clunky and a mess)
We Hold On (boring)
Need Some Love (not a bad little rocker, but the hooks just aren't there)  :boxing: :headbang:
Take a Friend (just bland)  :jawdrop: :headbang:

9. Leave That Thing Alone (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

I'm pretty sure I would have Broon's Bane ahead of this, and possibly Didacts and Narpets as well.

Double Agent followed up with Leave That Thing Alone is what pushes Counterparts to a top 5 Rush album for me.
Well that, and the rest of the album being so solid IMO.
Counterparts is flawless. :cool:

9. Leave That Thing Alone (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

I'm pretty sure I would have Broon's Bane ahead of this, and possibly Didacts and Narpets as well.
Broon's Bane is not on a studio album, thus not eligible.  Didacts and Narpets is mostly good, but is not a song; it's a small part of a song. :P

Counterparts is flawless. :cool:
Not in my mind.  Its about 50% awesome and 50% meh.  Thus..... counterparts.

But I will say that Leave that thing Alone is a great song that I do enjoy to take a listen.  When you said there was one more Counterparts song, I thought you were going to go with Nobody's Hero, and I was going to  :X

Users who are viewing this thread