What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My OOTP Career Thread: Congratulations to the 1995 World Champion Blue Jays (3 Viewers)

He was released by the Phillies at  the beginning of last season and retired with 396 HRs.
I guess I am confused about this game. I thought you took over a team in a specific year with specific players. 

Both Nied and Murphy were on the 1993 Rockies, why are they not on your simulation? 

Encyclopedia Brown said:
I guess I am confused about this game. I thought you took over a team in a specific year with specific players. 

Both Nied and Murphy were on the 1993 Rockies, why are they not on your simulation? 
I simmed the 1992 season and then took over the Rockies before the expansion draft.  The AI protected players and the Marlins and I seeded our rosters from that.  The only players I have in common with the real 1993 Rockies are Jerald Clark, Willie Blair, Greg W. Harris and Steve Reed.

Fat Drunk and Stupid said:
You can waive, dfa, trade, etc players. The other 29 teams are AI controlled.  You have a full minor league system. Yearly draft, international players, rule 5 draft.  

It can be a deep, very involved game.
That too.

June 15, 1993

Rockies are 3 games over .500 and 5.5 out of first.  San Diego now leads the West with Atlanta 1 GB and Houston 3 GB.  Montreal is running away with the East.  The Marlins are 27 games back and on pace to go 46-116.  Toronto has opened up a 7.5 game lead over Baltimore with McGwire and Olerud leading the league in OPS.  Minnesota has overhauled the surprising Mariners and lead by a game.  The West is wide open with all seven teams within 5.5 games.

Wally Whitehurst is putting together a nice season for the home team.  He's 8-4 with a 3.27 ERA (136 ERA+).  Scott Brosius has played himself into regular playing time since being called up.  Brosius helps add balance because my roster is too heavy on left handed bats. 

I'd like to try and swing a trade but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a dumb question, but are you aware you can "Shop a player" and field offers from any team interested in whatever player you put up?
I put Jeff Brantley and Darrin Jackson on the trading block last month but haven't gotten any offers.  I've been trying to put together a deal for a prospect but the AI GMs reject every proposal.  I feel like @PIK95

I wasn't getting any offers either at first, then I realized I had to click the box(es) for prospect, veteran, regular to get responses.
Thanks.  I had players on the block but hadn't actively shopped them.  The offers I got back when I shopped Brantley were underwhelming, particularly when trying to get prospects back for MLB talent.  The AI seems more interested in dumping salary which tells me that adding big contracts probably is a bad idea in the sim.

The best I can say is I found a couple of guys to shortlist for the trading deadline.

I shopped Brantley and got responses back from Oakland offering Jose Canseco and from St. Louis offering his brother Ozzie.

Jose has a contract for four years at $3.7M AAV but an opt-out at the end of this season.  He's having a terrible year .188/.276/.377. in 272 PAs.

I traded for Ellis Burks sending Al Leiter, Beau Allred and a minor leaguer to Boston.  He's an upgrade at CF over the platoon of Allred and Darrin Jackson.  I was getting tired of Leiter and was considering releasing him anyway.

The sim's trade AI really doesn't like high salary players, including ones that the CPU teams just added to long-term contracts. I've picked up  quite a bit of salary in the trade but I'm not paying beyond Burks' age 30 season. 

He solidifies my everyday lineup along with Dwight Smith and Mark Whiten in the OF, Matt Williams at 3B and Manny Lee at SS.  Brosius is getting the lion's share of starts at 2B.  I'm running platoons at 1B with Vander Wal and Russ Morman and at C with Joe Oliver and Darrin Fletcher.  Mile High makes hitters look better than they are but I think it's a better lineup than the one that started the season.

End of June 1993.

Dropped two in Atlanta to fall to 42-34 which puts the Rockies in a tie with Houston 6.5 GB the Padres.  Manny Lee is out for six weeks with a torn quad so Bill Spiers gets the callup.  I'm going to go with Jeff Huson starting at SS with Brosius as the everyday 2B.  Spiers may be redundant with Ruben Amaro but I'll give him a little bit of run.

Toronto still leads the AL East.  The West is still a dogfight with Minnesota a game up on Seattle with the Anaheims, White Sox and A's in hot pursuit.  The Mets have closed within 8.5 games of the Expos but the Mets abysmal offense is a problem.

Mark McGwire of the Blue Jays has 30 HRs through June. Ace SPs seem to be especially valuable in the sim.  The AI is much more willing to trade position players. 

Ryne Sandberg went on an explosive hitting spree against the Colorado Rockies at Mile High Stadium today, launching a trio of blasts to lead the Chicago Cubs to the 9-1 win. 
The second baseman finished 3-for-4 with 4 runs scored and 5 runs batted in.  "It was just one of those days," Sandberg said in a postgame interview. "I don't know how to explain it. I'm just putting a good swing on the ball."

Colorado skipper Buck Eephus said Sandberg was "locked-in."  "We made some pretty good pitches," he said. "Those first two homers were exactly where the pitcher wanted to put them. He's just hot right now -- you've just got to tip your hat to him."

Made it to the All-Star break with seven wins in our last ten.  Colorado is 49-38 and trails the Padres by 4 games.  Didn't get anybody on the All-Star team though so I'll use that as bulletin board material.

At the break, the division leaders are Toronto +10.5G, Minnesota +0.5G over the Mariners, Montreal +8.5G and San Diego +1G.  The Cubs traded 24 year old Sammy Sosa with 2+ years of  team control to the Mets for a catcher named Doug Robbins who never reached the majors in real life.  Orel Hershiser of Toronto is 14-0 going into the break.  He's a nice comeback story after missing most of 1992 with a torn labrum.  He's also sporting a beard these days.

Ellis Burks was named NL player of the week after going 16-30 with 2 HRs.  Playing a series against the Marlins helped.  Since the trade, Al Leiter has continued to struggle with his command.  He's walked 16 in 24.1 IP with Boston. 

I've seen a lot of references to this game in the last month. Did a little reading but really would love to check it out just as a cure for potential boredom. I was a Strat-o-Matic player going back to the late '70s as a kid.

Dumb, but selfish question: If I were to take on the Expos at some point in the '90s or whatever, could I then run the franchise and theoretically keep them in Montreal going forward?

I've seen a lot of references to this game in the last month. Did a little reading but really would love to check it out just as a cure for potential boredom. I was a Strat-o-Matic player going back to the late '70s as a kid.

Dumb, but selfish question: If I were to take on the Expos at some point in the '90s or whatever, could I then run the franchise and theoretically keep them in Montreal going forward?
I think so, but not 100% positive.  In the game settings you can turn off teams ability to move.  
Disable league evolution

The sim allows SPs to go deeper into games than was actually the case during the early 90s.  I currently have three pitchers on pace to throw 200 IP this season.  MLB only had twenty pitchers in that category in 1993.

I think I'm going to try to go heavy on SP during free agency.  Other teams rarely offer SP in return when I've shopped players.  My starters have been pretty decent all things considered.

Wally Whitehurst - 8-6, 133 ERA+

Pete Smith - 8-7, 117 ERA+

Mark Gardner - 7-9, 98 ERA+

Mike Bielicki - 8-6, 73 ERA+

Tim Wakefield, 7-2, 94 ERA+

HRs allowed have been a problem for everybody except Whitehurst and Smith but that's life in Mile High.

August 1, 1993

I struggled through July and the trading deadline.  Went 13-14 during the month and have now fallen 7 GB the division leading Padres.  I don't think the club has the horses to make a playoff push so I made some changes with an eye towards the future.  The big trade was to pick up Jose Vizcaino as a long-term SS; he's under team control for 3+ more seasons.  I gave up closer Jeff Brantley and platoon C Joe Oliver who will both be FAs after 1994.  Brantley was having a good season with 20 SV in 21 opportunities but I'm hoping Kent Mercker and Steve Reed can step up in the 9th.  The acquisition of Vizcaino made Manny Lee expendable so I dealt him to the Mets to take a flyer on minor leaguer Jeromy Burnitz.  Lee was on a one year deal and we were far apart on negotiations for an extension.  I also re-signed SP Pete Smith to a three year $5.4M contract with a team option in 1997.

Elsewhere in baseball, the Mariners went 24-2 in July including a 16 game winning streak.  They've opened up a 9.5 game lead over the A's and Twins.  The only tight race is in my division with the Braves 0.5 games back of San Diego.  The Blue Jays dominate the AL hitting leader board with Olerud and McGwire leading in the Triple Crown categories.  Cecil Fielder of St. Louis leads the NL in HR and RBI.  The best pitchers by WAR have been Drabek, Sid Fernandez, Smoltz, Clemens and Rijo.

August 16, 1993

My deadline deals haven't worked out well in the short term.  Colorado has struggled to a 5-10 record in August so far and we're now only two games over .500 and 11 back of the division leading Braves.   Jose Vizcaino has been hitting .204/.306/.259 since coming over.  The bullpen has felt the loss of Jeff Brantley although having two scheduled doubleheaders in a week didn't help either.  I picked up Mike Magnante on waivers to get another southpaw in the pen but he's been pretty poor so far.  I've also had to shuffle the rotation due to the doubleheaders and the suspension of Wally Whitehurst.  Both Tommy Greene and Greg Harris performed well in spot starts.  On offense, I've promoted Glenallen Hill after he performed well in place of the injured Dwight Smith.  G-Hill gives me another power bat off the bench.  I DFAed Russ Morman to make room.

The Blue Jays are still running away with the AL East.  The Twins have picked up a few games but are still 7 back of Seattle.  The Mets have been trailing the Expos all year but are still 6.5 back.  Atlanta passed San Diego and is now 2 games up.  Terry Pendleton's hitting streak came to an end after 32 straight.  The Braves have a balanced attack with seven players in double figures in HRs.

The Rockies have skidded to a game under .500 at 63-64.  We just were no hit by Sid Fernandez.   The red hot Mets are now only 3.5 back of Montreal in the East.

Mark Whiten was named NL player of the month in August.  He batted .366, hit 10 home runs, drove in 24 runs, scored 21 times and compiled a .431 on-base percentage.

In other news, Mike Harkey is out with a case of the gout.

Hard Hittin' Mark Whiten

ETA #1: Check out those Pony cleats!
ETA #2: RIP Jack Buck
ETA #3: Check out that pimp job on on HR #3!
ETA #4: Tripp Cromer appearance at 1:00!
ETA #5: I'd like to purchase that pullover Joe Torre is wearing.
That happened on September 7, 1993 IRL.  My league just finished the games of the same day.  It was a Tuesday.

Whiten has been my best player this season.  He's hitting .310/.377/.517.  The ballpark inflates that but it's still good for a 120 OPS+.  He and Burks are the only regulars over 100.

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
Hard Hittin' Mark Whiten

ETA #1: Check out those Pony cleats!
ETA #2: RIP Jack Buck
ETA #3: Check out that pimp job on on HR #3!
ETA #4: Tripp Cromer appearance at 1:00!
ETA #5: I'd like to purchase that pullover Joe Torre is wearing.
Packed house at Riverfront.

I didn't recognize the player in the on-deck circle--DT Cromer. He only got a little more than 100 plate appearances in the big leagues. It seems like he should have had more--a .900 OPS, over .300 batting average. 

Encyclopedia Brown said:

I didn't recognize the player in the on-deck circle--DT Cromer. He only got a little more than 100 plate appearances in the big leagues. It seems like he should have had more--a .900 OPS, over .300 batting average. 
That was D.T.'s older brother Tripp

Encyclopedia Brown said:
It was a doubleheader with first pitch at 5:35 PM.  Paid attendance was 22,606.

The Reds won the opener 14-13 with two in the 9th against Mike Perez, Rob Murphy and Todd Burns.  The first game lasted 3 hours 41 minutes which means the second game would have started around 9:36 PM.

The Cardinals took the nightcap 15-2 in 2 hours 17 minutes so the remaining fans made it out before midnight.  Bob Tewksbury threw a complete game for the win.

That was D.T.'s older brother Tripp
The Cardinals were loaded at MI during this period.  Cromer was behind Ozzie, Oquendo, Luis Alicea and Geronimo Pena.

In my league, Tripp is stuck in AA with Arkansas and he's not happy about it.  The Cardinals signed Shawon Dunston as a FA to bury Cromer even further.

We limped to the end of the 1993 season going 19-40 after August 1st.  The Rockies finished at 74-88, 26 games back of the division winning Braves.  I have some work to do in the off-season but the free agent crop looks pretty thin.

Toronto and Montreal cruised to win their respective divisions.  The Mets narrowed the gap in August and September but never got within three of the lead.  Minnesota came from third place with a week left to tie Seattle for the AL West.  The Twins swept the season ending head to head series at home behind the pitching of Oscar Munoz, Joe Hesketh and Pat Mahomes.  The Mariners lost Ken Griffey Jr. to a knee injury on September 21st.  He had a 7.6 WAR season with a .346 AVG and .994 OPS.  

ETA:  The Twins beat the Mariners 7-3 in the playoff. 

Minnesota came from third place with a week left to tie Seattle for the AL West.  The Twins swept the season ending head to head series at home behind the pitching of Oscar Munoz, Joe Hesketh and Pat Mahomes.  The Mariners lost Ken Griffey Jr. to a knee injury on September 21st.  He had a 7.6 WAR season with a .346 AVG and .994 OPS.  

ETA:  The Twins beat the Mariners 7-3 in the playoff. 
:pickle:

Also, coming soon: Patrick Mahomes II

World Series pitching matchups

Kevin Tapani vs. John Smoltz

Mike Trombley vs. Steve Avery

Oscar Munoz vs. Tom Glavine (Glavine missed the entire regular season with a shoulder injury)

Scott Erickson vs. Mike Boddicker

Game 1:  Braves score 3 in the 9th off Mark Guthrie to tie and 1 in the 11th off Rick Aquilera to win 6-5.

Game 2:  Braves win 5-2.  A costly error by Tony Phillips led to 2 unearned runs off loser Mike Trombley

Game 3:  Twins hang on to win at home 4-3.  Chili Davis homered for Minnesota

Game 4:  Braves hammer Twins starter Oscar Munoz for 6 runs in 5 IP and win 10-3.  Mike Boddicker had a complete game win.

Game 5::  Braves are world champs after winning 4-2 behind John Smoltz. Javy Lopez won the WS MVP award hitting .435 with 3 HRs and 8 RBI.

Went through my first full off-season with the club.  There's a lot of drudgery setting ticket prices and hiring minor league coaches.  I suppose I could read the manual to see if this can be delegated.

I overbid on free agent Tom Glavine but he took a lesser offer to join the Pirates.  My big free agent prizes were Joe Hesketh and Dan Plesac.  Hesketh was an overpay but he was one of the better SPs on the market.  I traded organizational depth to improve at C and 1B.  Mike Macfarlane and Kevin Maas can via trade for David Wells and Ruben Amaro Jr.  Plesac along with newly acquired Mike Stanton should give the Rockies a solid bullpen.  I also added Kurt Stilwell in the Rule 5 draft and Andy Ashby on waivers.  Stanton and Mark Whiten are both injured going into the season and the cupboard is bare at AAA.

I had the #1 pick in the amateur draft so A-Rod is now a part of the Rockies organization.

1994 is off to a bad start.  Our record is 7-11 due in large part to giving up 6.7 runs per game.  The starters have been getting hammered which has led to bullpen overwork.  My big FA acquisition Joe Hesketh lasted 2/3 of an inning before blowing out his elbow.  He's out for 5-6 months.  I had to trade David Wells in the off-season because he wanted to be a starter and I had just DFAed Tommy Greene at the beginning of the season because he was out of options.  I'm trying to see if I can stretch out Willie Blair.  The only other alternatives Greg W Harris and Andy Ashby have been terrible in long relief.

The offense has been OK but it's tough to outscore the opposition when you're giving up runs.  The Rockies are first in errors and second to last in zone rating.  Mark Whiten has yet to appear after suffering two setbacks in his recovery from elbow tendinitis.

Played through the end of May 1994.  Currently at 19-32, 11 GB the Dodgers in the West.  Matt Williams is leading the NL in HRs with 18 but everything else is ####.  I have five players on the DL:  Whiten (again), Hesketh (still), Stanton, Stillwell and Ashby.  Playing half my games at Mile High is brutal on a pitching staff.  I've had to rotate a bunch of guys through AAA in order to have fresh arms.  I've brought up Billy Wagner to help my beleaguered bullpen but am trying to keep A-Rod at AAA all year.  Mike Macfarlane has had enough and put in a trade request.  I'm trying to accommodate but won't give him away for nothing.

Elsewhere in baseball, the Tigers fired Sparky Anderson.  There are some new teams at the top of the standings this year.  The Yankees are off to a hot start and lead Toronto by 2.5.  Cleveland leads the Central with Seattle ahead in the West with Ken Griffey Jr. wearing the provisional Triple Crown.   Atlanta leads the Mets by a game in the NL East.  The surprising Reds lead the Central after losing 97 games in 1993.  The Dodgers are the only club over .500 in the West.

Users who are viewing this thread