Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eephus

My OOTP Career Thread: Meet the 1993 Rockies

7 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

How is David Nied doing? 

I recall that he was supposed to be a cut above most expansion picks because he had been blocked in Atlanta by a stable of HOF'ers. 

Nied is slotted as the Braves' SP3 with Tom Glavine out for the year.  He's been solid but his 3.84 ERA is almost a full point better than his FIP.  Nied has benefited from a .230 BABIP to post a 1.08 WHIP so there's probably some regression ahead.  He's also giving up nearly 2 HR/9.

2 hours ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Are you playing as GM & Manager?

Yes except I let the AI handle defensive positioning.  I typically autosim the early innings until there are runners in scoring position. 

Leiter has been the Rockies' worst reliever but he's out of options and there aren't many other options at AAA.  I brought up Jose Mesa when Mercker got hurt but Joe Table hasn't been very good in a tiny sample. 

I put in a waiver claim on Mike Timlin but lost out to the Cardinals by virtue of having a better record.

6 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I hope you are giving Dale Murphy enough AB's to help him get to the 400 career homerun mark. 

He was released by the Phillies at  the beginning of last season and retired with 396 HRs.

10 hours ago, Eephus said:

He was released by the Phillies at  the beginning of last season and retired with 396 HRs.

I guess I am confused about this game. I thought you took over a team in a specific year with specific players. 

Both Nied and Murphy were on the 1993 Rockies, why are they not on your simulation? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I guess I am confused about this game. I thought you took over a team in a specific year with specific players. 

Both Nied and Murphy were on the 1993 Rockies, why are they not on your simulation? 

You can waive, dfa, trade, etc players. The other 29 teams are AI controlled.  You have a full minor league system. Yearly draft, international players, rule 5 draft.  

It can be a deep, very involved game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I simmed the 1992 season and then took over the Rockies before the expansion draft.  The AI protected players and the Marlins and I seeded our rosters from that.  The only players I have in common with the real 1993 Rockies are Jerald Clark, Willie Blair, Greg W. Harris and Steve Reed.

1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

You can waive, dfa, trade, etc players. The other 29 teams are AI controlled.  You have a full minor league system. Yearly draft, international players, rule 5 draft.  

It can be a deep, very involved game.

That too.

Posted (edited)

June 15, 1993

Rockies are 3 games over .500 and 5.5 out of first.  San Diego now leads the West with Atlanta 1 GB and Houston 3 GB.  Montreal is running away with the East.  The Marlins are 27 games back and on pace to go 46-116.  Toronto has opened up a 7.5 game lead over Baltimore with McGwire and Olerud leading the league in OPS.  Minnesota has overhauled the surprising Mariners and lead by a game.  The West is wide open with all seven teams within 5.5 games.

Wally Whitehurst is putting together a nice season for the home team.  He's 8-4 with a 3.27 ERA (136 ERA+).  Scott Brosius has played himself into regular playing time since being called up.  Brosius helps add balance because my roster is too heavy on left handed bats. 

I'd like to try and swing a trade but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eephus said:

June 15, 1993

Rockies are 3 games over .500 and 5.5 out of first.  San Diego now leads the West with Atlanta 1 GB and Houston 3 GB.  Montreal is running away with the East.  The Marlins are 27 games back and on pace to go 46-116.  Toronto has opened up a 7.5 game lead over Baltimore with McGwire and Olerud leading the league in OPS.  Minnesota has overhauled the surprising Mariners and lead by a game.  The West is wide open with all seven teams within 5.5 games.

Wally Whitehurst is putting together a nice season for the home team.  He's 8-4 with a 3.27 ERA (136 ERA+).  Scott Brosius has played himself into regular playing time since being called up.  Brosius helps add balance because my roster is too heavy on left handed bats. 

I'd like to try and swing a trade but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

This may be a dumb question, but are you aware you can "Shop a player" and field offers from any team interested in whatever player you put up?

You (and the lack of a real opening day) inspired me to purchase OOTP21 last night. Giddy up.

51 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

This may be a dumb question, but are you aware you can "Shop a player" and field offers from any team interested in whatever player you put up?

I put Jeff Brantley and Darrin Jackson on the trading block last month but haven't gotten any offers.  I've been trying to put together a deal for a prospect but the AI GMs reject every proposal.  I feel like @PIK95

• Love 1
  • Laughing 2

45 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I put Jeff Brantley and Darrin Jackson on the trading block last month but haven't gotten any offers.  I've been trying to put together a deal for a prospect but the AI GMs reject every proposal.  I feel like @PIK95

I wasn't getting any offers either at first, then I realized I had to click the box(es) for prospect, veteran, regular to get responses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

I wasn't getting any offers either at first, then I realized I had to click the box(es) for prospect, veteran, regular to get responses.

Thanks.  I had players on the block but hadn't actively shopped them.  The offers I got back when I shopped Brantley were underwhelming, particularly when trying to get prospects back for MLB talent.  The AI seems more interested in dumping salary which tells me that adding big contracts probably is a bad idea in the sim.

The best I can say is I found a couple of guys to shortlist for the trading deadline.

I shopped Brantley and got responses back from Oakland offering Jose Canseco and from St. Louis offering his brother Ozzie.

Jose has a contract for four years at $3.7M AAV but an opt-out at the end of this season.  He's having a terrible year .188/.276/.377. in 272 PAs.

I traded for Ellis Burks sending Al Leiter, Beau Allred and a minor leaguer to Boston.  He's an upgrade at CF over the platoon of Allred and Darrin Jackson.  I was getting tired of Leiter and was considering releasing him anyway.

The sim's trade AI really doesn't like high salary players, including ones that the CPU teams just added to long-term contracts. I've picked up  quite a bit of salary in the trade but I'm not paying beyond Burks' age 30 season. 

He solidifies my everyday lineup along with Dwight Smith and Mark Whiten in the OF, Matt Williams at 3B and Manny Lee at SS.  Brosius is getting the lion's share of starts at 2B.  I'm running platoons at 1B with Vander Wal and Russ Morman and at C with Joe Oliver and Darrin Fletcher.  Mile High makes hitters look better than they are but I think it's a better lineup than the one that started the season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

End of June 1993.

Dropped two in Atlanta to fall to 42-34 which puts the Rockies in a tie with Houston 6.5 GB the Padres.  Manny Lee is out for six weeks with a torn quad so Bill Spiers gets the callup.  I'm going to go with Jeff Huson starting at SS with Brosius as the everyday 2B.  Spiers may be redundant with Ruben Amaro but I'll give him a little bit of run.

Toronto still leads the AL East.  The West is still a dogfight with Minnesota a game up on Seattle with the Anaheims, White Sox and A's in hot pursuit.  The Mets have closed within 8.5 games of the Expos but the Mets abysmal offense is a problem.

Mark McGwire of the Blue Jays has 30 HRs through June. Ace SPs seem to be especially valuable in the sim.  The AI is much more willing to trade position players. 

Ryne Sandberg went on an explosive hitting spree against the Colorado Rockies at Mile High Stadium today, launching a trio of blasts to lead the Chicago Cubs to the 9-1 win. 
The second baseman finished 3-for-4 with 4 runs scored and 5 runs batted in.  "It was just one of those days," Sandberg said in a postgame interview. "I don't know how to explain it. I'm just putting a good swing on the ball."

Colorado skipper Buck Eephus said Sandberg was "locked-in."  "We made some pretty good pitches," he said. "Those first two homers were exactly where the pitcher wanted to put them. He's just hot right now -- you've just got to tip your hat to him."

25 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Buck is right. All you can do is tip the cap.

• Like 1

Made it to the All-Star break with seven wins in our last ten.  Colorado is 49-38 and trails the Padres by 4 games.  Didn't get anybody on the All-Star team though so I'll use that as bulletin board material.

At the break, the division leaders are Toronto +10.5G, Minnesota +0.5G over the Mariners, Montreal +8.5G and San Diego +1G.  The Cubs traded 24 year old Sammy Sosa with 2+ years of  team control to the Mets for a catcher named Doug Robbins who never reached the majors in real life.  Orel Hershiser of Toronto is 14-0 going into the break.  He's a nice comeback story after missing most of 1992 with a torn labrum.  He's also sporting a beard these days.

Ellis Burks was named NL player of the week after going 16-30 with 2 HRs.  Playing a series against the Marlins helped.  Since the trade, Al Leiter has continued to struggle with his command.  He's walked 16 in 24.1 IP with Boston. 

I've seen a lot of references to this game in the last month. Did a little reading but really would love to check it out just as a cure for potential boredom. I was a Strat-o-Matic player going back to the late '70s as a kid.

Dumb, but selfish question: If I were to take on the Expos at some point in the '90s or whatever, could I then run the franchise and theoretically keep them in Montreal going forward?

31 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

I've seen a lot of references to this game in the last month. Did a little reading but really would love to check it out just as a cure for potential boredom. I was a Strat-o-Matic player going back to the late '70s as a kid.

Dumb, but selfish question: If I were to take on the Expos at some point in the '90s or whatever, could I then run the franchise and theoretically keep them in Montreal going forward?

I think so, but not 100% positive.  In the game settings you can turn off teams ability to move.  

37 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:
1 hour ago, Dickie Dunn said:

I think so, but not 100% positive.  In the game settings you can turn off teams ability to move.  

Disable league evolution

47 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Thanks. I'm thinking of checking this out later tonight.

I assume I probably would want to grab a team after 1998 so that I had Tampa and Arizona.

(Sorry for the threadjack.)

11 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

(Sorry for the threadjack.)

No problem.  Your question made me look into how the sim handles the 1994 work stoppage (it doesn't). 

The sim allows SPs to go deeper into games than was actually the case during the early 90s.  I currently have three pitchers on pace to throw 200 IP this season.  MLB only had twenty pitchers in that category in 1993.

I think I'm going to try to go heavy on SP during free agency.  Other teams rarely offer SP in return when I've shopped players.  My starters have been pretty decent all things considered.

Wally Whitehurst - 8-6, 133 ERA+

Pete Smith - 8-7, 117 ERA+

Mark Gardner - 7-9, 98 ERA+

Mike Bielicki - 8-6, 73 ERA+

Tim Wakefield, 7-2, 94 ERA+

HRs allowed have been a problem for everybody except Whitehurst and Smith but that's life in Mile High.

Lost to the Cubs on a walk-off balk by Willie Banks in the bottom of the 16th.