What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Pittman, IND (1 Viewer)

There may be some truth to this. I personally will not draft a wide receiver until I know for a fact his father had big biceps 
I see the opposite.  David Boston has big biceps and we all saw how that turned out.  While huge biceps are good for RBs, I think they may be detrimental to WRs.   Need to take position into account on these things! 

As long as we're on this trip, you know his father was rocking some L.A. model back in the day. Pittman is what 6'4" compared to his father's 6'0"?

Uh huh. Son calls pappy short stack for breakfast and dunks on him at dinner. 

But in terms of football talk, Pittman Jr. is a nice hands catcher. Whether he can unwind his bigness to get separation consistently is the question, but he looks mighty good in highlights if you want a taller, possession guy that's not as good as Higgins or maybe even Edwards. 

2020 NFL Draft: Which prospect is everyone wrong about -- for better or worse?

Excerpt:

DeAngelo Hall

Writer | NFL.com 

Two offensive players who should be higher on draft boards

There are a two players I think teams are wrong about. I'll start with QB Tua Tagovailoa. I recently spoke to Titans team doctor Thomas Byrd about my own hip injury I had my rookie season. I had a similar injury to Tua's except my hip didn't dislocate. The injury forced me to miss seven games my rookie season, but even to this day, it has never bothered me. I get that scouts, coaches and team execs are concerned that Tua's hip is going to make him the next Bo Jackson. But having had a similar injury myself, I don't think he should be fazed at all by his hip. That's why I think Tua SHOULD be the No. 1 quarterback taken off the board. 

The second guy who has been underrated this spring is USC receiver Michael Pittman Jr. Anyone who doesn't think Pittman is a first-round pick is wrong. This kid is a beast -- 101 catches for 1,275 yards and 11 TDs in 13 starts last season -- and has the pedigree. Thanks to his family's history in the NFL, Pittman Jr. knows what it takes to make an impact and conducts himself as a pro.

But in terms of football talk, Pittman Jr. is a nice hands catcher. Whether he can unwind his bigness to get separation consistently is the question, but he looks mighty good in highlights if you want a taller, possession guy that's not as good as Higgins or maybe even Edwards. 
I've noticed he can get separation on a lot of those 10 yard routes, comebacks especially. I see Michael Thomas. Don't take that the wrong way.

I've noticed he can get separation on a lot of those 10 yard routes, comebacks especially. I see Michael Thomas. Don't take that the wrong way.
So have I. I really like him, but those production numbers massraider points to are worrisome. He certainly didn't breakout early. 

So have I. I really like him, but those production numbers massraider points to are worrisome. He certainly didn't breakout early. 
Maybe I should be more concerned but I'm not that much. If he was like Kelvin Benjamin and still didn't know how to play receiver. At least Pittman produced relative to his offense. 

As a 1st round rookie pick, yeah I get it. But in the 2nd everybody has questions.

Colts selected USC WR Michael Pittman with the No. 34 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Pittman (6’4/223) helped his draft stock with a 101-1,275-11 senior season in USC’s air raid offense. A big body with 4.52 speed, Pittman primarily lined up outside for the Trojans and won on vertical routes -- PFF credits an absurd 36% of his receiving yards to go routes. On tape, he was physical throughout the route and came down with many contested catches, plus only dropped five of his 254 career targets. He also was effective underneath with underrated YAC ability because he’s a tough tackle given his size and competitiveness. Pittman should compete for a starting spot on the perimeter alongside T.Y. Hilton as a rookie and offers a Kenny Golladay-level ceiling. He'll turn 23 in October.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:19 PM ET

PFF's favorite picks from Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

PICK NO. 34: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS — WR MICHAEL PITTMAN JR., USC

PFF Big Board Rank: 22nd

From a need, value and fit perspective, this pick is a home run. At 6-foot-4, 223 pounds, Pittman offers some legit size that the Colts don’t currently possess in their receiving corps and fits the mold of receivers that Philip Rivers has had success with over the course of his career with the Los Angeles Chargers. Pittman not only has great ball skills, as evidenced by his five drops on 176 catchable in his career, but he can also get open underneath and at the intermediate level with ease.

He will take Funchess spot. He's bigger, he's faster, he's better and he has Rivers throwing him the ball. Ignore at your own risk. There is no one in his way. 

He will take Funchess spot. He's bigger, he's faster, he's better and he has Rivers throwing him the ball. Ignore at your own risk. There is no one in his way. 
Yep. And if he can be that guy, then he will emerge as the #1 as Hilton fades. Or at least there is that kind of upside. I don't know what happens when Rivers is done but I love the Taylor pick in tandem with this. 

Does he kill Campbell's value? Wish that kid would get a shot, he was so banged up last year, and I had high hopes for him. 

Does he kill Campbell's value? Wish that kid would get a shot, he was so banged up last year, and I had high hopes for him. 
I don't think so. Campbell is best in the Slot and possibly Flanker while Pittman has the physicality and catch radius to run from the Split End/Z receiver position. He's a possession guy and should see some RZ targets.

I'm hopeful that they'll be a great compliment to each-other for several years to come. Got to stay healthy and get regular reps to do so though. QB play dependant too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich compared No. 34 overall pick WR Michael Pittman to ex-Chargers WR Vincent Jackson.

In a video released by the team of the Colts' virtual draft setup on Zoom, Ballard, Reich, and the scouts were all raving about Pittman. "From the first time I watched him, I've loved him," Reich said. "I'm not sure he's not the best receiver in this draft. He can have a big impact in year one." When questioned by owner Jim Irsay, Ballard threw out the Jackson comp, and Reich agreed. That should be music to Philip Rivers' ears, as he loves the big, tall wideouts who can win down the field. And Pittman fits the bill at 6'4/223 with 4.52 wheels and physicality to win the contested catches. Dating back to Jackson, Rivers has thrown it up to those types, and it was Mike Williams most recently. Pittman is a pretty decent bet to lead the Colts in touchdown catches in 2020.

SOURCE: Colts on Youtube

Apr 29, 2020, 11:20 PM ET

I'm wondering if he is going to have some ADP variance more than others. I'm seeing him go mid 2nd in some.
Yeah, I think ECR at Fantasy Pros had him climb a bit, but not crack the top twelve as of two days ago.  He's at fourteen, so it's right there, which is a definite three or four spots up from before the draft. It all depends on the guys before me. I don't feel strongly enough to trade the 2.01 and another pick (2.07 or 3.01) to move up in my personal circumstance. Other people's mileage may vary. 

Coach Frank Reich revealed the Colts view second-round pick Michael Pittman as the team's "X" receiver.

"We believe he can develop into that pretty quickly," Reich added. There are many variations and formations, but in its simplest form the "X" receiver is the player you trust most to win in isolated one on one coverage on the weak side of the formation. In that case, he would not have the benefit of motion and could be jammed in press at the line of scrimmage. That's quite a role for a rookie to fill, but the team clearly has plenty of belief in Pittman's talents.

SOURCE: 1075 The Fan

May 4, 2020, 2:19 PM ET

From what I can gather looking around the SP, Pittman is THE most underrated WR in this class (probably by a wide margin).

I typically only have soft rankings at this point, but I have Pittman in the tier right behind Lamb/Ruggs & I suspect I'll move him up into their tier sooner or later.

I was in the middle of 5 drafts Saturday and traded my 2021 1st from a really strong team to snag him at 1.12.  Felt like with a late future 1st it was worth trying to add immediate production from a prospect I really like.

Only problem is, totally forgot I had swapped 1sts with a likely non playoff team as part of another deal, so probably just sent a top 6 2021 pick for him.  Damn bourbon.

I do really like him though.  He seems really smooth in his routes and aggressive at the catch point.  Dont let me down big fella!

I was in the middle of 5 drafts Saturday and traded my 2021 1st from a really strong team to snag him at 1.12.  Felt like with a late future 1st it was worth trying to add immediate production from a prospect I really like.

Only problem is, totally forgot I had swapped 1sts with a likely non playoff team as part of another deal, so probably just sent a top 6 2021 pick for him.  Damn bourbon.

I do really like him though.  He seems really smooth in his routes and aggressive at the catch point.  Dont let me down big fella!
Yeah,  I don't believe people quite get how good his combination of size, speed, quickness hands, ball skills, & technical ability is (the whole package).

I look for Pittman to start producing fairly quick. Ideal landing spot, too.

Lol that's happened to me more than once. 

Going to take him at 1.11 in my draft that started today if he's around.

Yeah,  I don't believe people quite get how good his combination of size, speed, quickness hands, ball skills, & technical ability is (the whole package).

I look for Pittman to start producing fairly quick. Ideal landing spot, too.
Pittman's a good player but TY will out target him this year and Parris Campbell is a really good prospect too. Don't see him breaking out this year as a given......

Pittman's a good player but TY will out target him this year and Parris Campbell is a really good prospect too. Don't see him breaking out this year as a given......
Well, hard to be too confident in a rookie WR, especially given the fallout from COVID-19, but he'll be their go-to WR soon enough (certainly in year-2).

I disagree and not only is Pittman a better prospect, Campbell missed most of his rookie year with a balky hamstring, sports hernia and a broken hand that required surgery before breaking his foot in Week 14.   If that is not a quadruple boo boo I don't know what one is.  I look for Pittman to start as their WR2 in week 1.  If Campbell is healthy he will be their WR3.

I disagree and not only is Pittman a better prospect, Campbell missed most of his rookie year with a balky hamstring, sports hernia and a broken hand that required surgery before breaking his foot in Week 14.   If that is not a quadruple boo boo I don't know what one is.  I look for Pittman to start as their WR2 in week 1.  If Campbell is healthy he will be their WR3.
Rivers tends to lock into one WR and just pepper him with a monster target load. That WR will be TY Hilton. He's one of the best route runners in the league and Rivers will trust him. 

Rivers tends to lock into one WR and just pepper him with a monster target load. That WR will be TY Hilton. He's one of the best route runners in the league and Rivers will trust him. 
No doubt, but that doesn't change what I said about Pittman vs Campbell.

No doubt, but that doesn't change what I said about Pittman vs Campbell.
Yeah I like Campbell quite a bit more than most in here. Pittman is a nice prospect as well, don't get me wrong, but he's coming in with no offseason work, an established #1WR, and imo an underrated second year WR the colts also drafted in the 2nd round. 

All I'm saying guys is that doesn't scream break out right away. Doesn't mean you shouldn't target him or he won't start. Just means I expect there to be a longer learning curve and probably a slow start/1st season. 

It should.

You're that size, why did you breakout at the same age that Amari Cooper was in his 2nd NFL season?
Looking over Pittman's career, he had injuries that caused him problems in sophomore and junior seasons.  Mitigates the late breakout I think, even though you don't like to see two injuries. Still, it would be a lot more concerning if he was healthy and not breaking out.

I thought he had a new Vincent Jackson?
The VJAX comp actually gets me down and reminds me that he had his two best fantasy seasons when he left Rivers and had Josh Freeman and rookie Mike Glennon throwing to him. Because targets.

That's my top concern with Pittman. Targets.  The system is one designed to use the TE's and RB's in passing game, combined with strong OL/running game, solid defense and a division that does not have a lot of explosive type offensive teams sure seems like a  low volume formula. Worries me I'm drafting a guy I hope can be as good as Mike Williams is on a per target basis. Mike Williams has had exactly 156 targets since his injury marred rookie season.  The great Julio Jones had 156 targets last year. Julio turned those 156 targets int0 99/1,394/6. Mike Williams turned his 156 targets into 92/1,665/12. Obviously I know Williams game is not as conducive to high targets as Julio's and defensive attention does make this an apples to apples comp just trying to highlight how good Williams was on a per target basis but he still struggled to get a lot of use.

Keenan Allen is the only WR during Rivers entire career to get 120 or more targets in a season. 

The VJAX comp actually gets me down and reminds me that he had his two best fantasy seasons when he left Rivers and had Josh Freeman and rookie Mike Glennon throwing to him. Because targets.

That's my top concern with Pittman. Targets.  The system is one designed to use the TE's and RB's in passing game, combined with strong OL/running game, solid defense and a division that does not have a lot of explosive type offensive teams sure seems like a  low volume formula. Worries me I'm drafting a guy I hope can be as good as Mike Williams is on a per target basis. Mike Williams has had exactly 156 targets since his injury marred rookie season.  The great Julio Jones had 156 targets last year. Julio turned those 156 targets int0 99/1,394/6. Mike Williams turned his 156 targets into 92/1,665/12. Obviously I know Williams game is not as conducive to high targets as Julio's and defensive attention does make this an apples to apples comp just trying to highlight how good Williams was on a per target basis but he still struggled to get a lot of use.

Keenan Allen is the only WR during Rivers entire career to get 120 or more targets in a season. 
I am a little worried Pittman ran a 4.52, feels too fast for Rivers. Pittman might outrun Rivers passes. 

menobrown said:

You guys are overthinking Pittman.  He will be a redzone monster this year and their #1WR when Hilton leaves. Unless they luck into Ja'Marr Chase or Rashod Bateman, or Justyn Ross next year, or George Pickens the year after that.  At worse, if they draft a stud WR next year he's a solid WR2 for the Colts.  Even if they get Waddle next year I believe Pittman isn't affected.

You guys are overthinking Pittman.  He will be a redzone monster this year and their #1WR when Hilton leaves. Unless they luck into Ja'Marr Chase or Rashod Bateman, or Justyn Ross next year, or George Pickens the year after that.  At worse, if they draft a stud WR next year he's a solid WR2 for the Colts.  Even if they get Waddle next year I believe Pittman isn't affected.
None of what you are saying here sways a single thing in my thought process.

I don't want a red zone target. I don't play non-PPR fantasy. I want a guy with some volume.  Mike Williams scored 10 TD's in 2018 in 2018 and just about every single one of them was on my bench because I can't trust someone getting that volume.  I referenced VJAX already, he was Rivers #1 WR for years and got about 5 targets a game from time he became a full time starter until end of his time.

I drafted Pittman a few times because I do believe in the talent. I'm not so enamored of the situation.

None of what you are saying here sways a single thing in my thought process.

I don't want a red zone target. I don't play non-PPR fantasy. I want a guy with some volume.  Mike Williams scored 10 TD's in 2018 in 2018 and just about every single one of them was on my bench because I can't trust someone getting that volume.  I referenced VJAX already, he was Rivers #1 WR for years and got about 5 targets a game from time he became a full time starter until end of his time.

I drafted Pittman a few times because I do believe in the talent. I'm not so enamored of the situation.
The situation couldn't be better my friend.

The situation couldn't be better my friend.
Just because you want it to be true does not make it so but no need to beat a dead horse, I've already outlined my concerns.

I drafted Pittman and Jefferson both twice this weekend. Fantasy people tend to like both spots because they see little to no comp for WR2 with both of them having older WR1's.  I think it's a short sighted outlook.  I drafted both because I like the talents, consider both landing spots as major negatives.

Vincent Jackson was a monster, 6'5", 230. Pittman isn't nearly that big, which is not a negative. 
Closer to Dwayne Bowe to me. 220 lbs, runs 4.5-4.6.

There's a pretty distinct line around 1.12-1.13 to me, I cannot see ranking many more players than that over Pittman.

Pittman is 6'4 223 & ran a 4.52 with decent quickness. Considering his other attributes like hands, ball skills, & technical ability, he's hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread