What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Pittman, IND (4 Viewers)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
Born Oct 5, 1997
6'4" 220 ran a 4.52 40
6.96 3 cone
36.5 vertical

Had 101/1275/11 after entering his senior season at USC at age 21. 41/758/6 as a junior at age 20. Late bloomer is often considered a red flag. I don't know where to look to find dominator scores and market share info but I'd be curious to post it here and for a couple other WRs with new threads. 

Seems like this guy is flying under the radar and might be a steal. Saw a thing today said he only dropped 5 balls in college. Certainly had a strong senior season. Great size and I would say plenty athletic. Another possibly sneaky 2nd round rookie pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't believe in drop rate, as it's fixable and often times coincides with bad offenses.  But he's a sleeper for sure and could be something.  Probably one of the biggest risers from the combine.  

USC senior WR Michael Pittman received a third-round grade when he asked for NFL Draft feedback this past winter.

Pittman (6'4/225) was kicking around a potential draft declaration, but the feedback he received was not what he was hoping for. The senior said of his decision to return to school, "I think I'm capable of better than what my projection was" and "I can really raise my stock higher." Pittman posted a relatively low-key 26-550-6 receiving line this past season, so certainly room for improvement. One downside to his decision not to come out for the spring -- he would have been part of a relatively thinner wide receivers class. As is, next year's draft is going to have one of the best classes of wideouts we have seen in some time. Pittman did not rank among Bleacher Report's Matt Miller's top-10 draft-eligible wideouts when he put his 2020 rankings together in early May.

SOURCE: usctrojans.com

Jun 17, 2019, 10:33 AM ET

USC senior WR Michael Pittman has accepted his invite to the 2020 Senior Bowl, according to the event's official Twitter handle.

Despite all the chaos regarding USC's QB situation this year, Pittman (6'4/220) has found a way to produce. Pittman leads the Trojans in yards (792) and touchdowns (8). The nature of Graham Harrell's quick-hitting Air Raid offense has brought down Pittman's yards per reception a bit, but he still leads the team in that department too (among players with at least 20 catches), and has been plenty explosive when given opportunities. Expect Pittman to be a menace on vertical routes in 1-on-1 drills during Senior Bowl practices.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 10:11 AM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tagged USC senior WR Michael Pittman as the biggest potential riser in the position group.

Pittman (6'4/220) was a Biletnikoff finalist, though he lost out on that honor to LSU standout Ja'Marr Chase on Thursday. No shame in that. The USC standout logged a 95-1222-11 receiving line during the 2019 regular season. As matters currently stand, Miller ranks Pittman as the No. 8 receiver in the prospective spring class. You'll have one last chance to catch Pittman's theatrics at the collegiate level, as he announced earlier this week that he would be playing in USC's Holiday Bowl matchup with Iowa on Dec. 27.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Dec 13, 2019, 2:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that USC WR Michael Pittman did not take part in Thursday's practice at the Reese's Senior Bowl due to a strained ligament in his foot.

Bummer, as it looks like Pittman will not be taking part in Saturday's contest. Per Pelissero, while the 6-foot-4, 220-pound wideout may be nixed for further physical activities, he is still in Mobile talking with interested NFL parties. We have seen a few unfortunate injuries crop up in Mobile this week, with Auburn DL Marlon Davidson (ankle) and Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn (undisclosed) also down for the count. Pittman is one of our favorite Day 2-type receiver prospects in the 2020 class.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 23, 2020, 6:16 PM ET

Personally I don't believe in drop rate, as it's fixable and often times coincides with bad offenses.  But he's a sleeper for sure and could be something.  Probably one of the biggest risers from the combine.  
I don't put much stock in it either but it did catch my eye. 

Love the highlights of this guy. Real nice hands. Hope he doesn't get too much publicity and falls to second round of rookie drafts in fantasy. 

Love the highlights of this guy. Real nice hands. Hope he doesn't get too much publicity and falls to second round of rookie drafts in fantasy. 
It will all be about draft capital and landing spot. Green Bay in the 3rd and we could see him go early 2nd in dynasty. 5th round to Chicago and should see him fall to the 3rd in dynasty. 

Obviously they bring different skill sets, but I like Pittman more than a guy like Justin Jefferson. He wins in more ways, and has far superior size. 

He's a steal anywhere after pick 40 in my opinion. Could be another Courtland Sutton.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein wrote that USC WR Michael Pittman "falls into the "possession receiver" bin, but has top-notch ball skills that allow him to bully and best cornerbacks down the field."

Pittman (6'4/223) ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine, and while that number doesn't jump off the page it's adequate for a receiver of his size. The ball skills and willingness to contribute as both a run blocker and special teamer will certainly help him from an NFL Draft standpoint, but he does need to improve when it comes to gaining separation when covered by physical corners. "He lacks the speed and separation quickness teams covet from WR1 candidates, but he comes from NFL bloodlines and plays with a pro demeanor," Zierlein wrote. "He should be a productive plug-and-play talent at WR2 early in his career." Pittman is projected to be a Day 2 selection in what is a deep wide receiver crop.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 17, 2020, 5:46 PM ET

It's funny because a 4.52 is .003 less than A.J. Brown, but give him four inches or so. That's not even a blink of an eye. His speed score must be off the charts for his size.

Speed Scores:

Michael Pittman Jr.

Blurb from Google: Pittman soared above scouts' expectations with a 4.52-second 40-yard dash. Though not particularly blazing fast for a receiver, his speed score — a metric that factors in a player's height and weight with their 40 time — ranks Pittman in the 93rd percentile with a score of 111.2.

A.J. Brown

Mentioned this in a previous thread on combine night:

Tale of the tape:

Mike Evans, 6'5"/231, 4.53 40, 37 vert, 7.08 3 cone, 4.26 20 yard shuttle

Pittman Jr., 6'4"/223, 4.52 40, 36.5 vert, 6.96 3 cone, 4.14 20 year shuttle

The biggest physical difference in the two of them was Evans has about 3" longer arms and about half an inch larger hand size.  And then Pittman is running I think about 2 years older then Evans when he entered the league. Not at all saying he's Evans, but the physical characteristic matchups are noteworthy to me, the overall solid size/speed of Pittman and his production really merit him getting more attention then I think he's been getting, though he does seem to be picking up a little steam.

And then Pittman is running I think about 2 years older then Evans when he entered the league. Not at all saying he's Evans, but the physical characteristic matchups are noteworthy to me, the overall solid size/speed of Pittman and his production really merit him getting more attention then I think he's been getting, though he does seem to be picking up a little steam.
Maybe it's the breakout age thing that's holding down his hype. 

USC senior WR Michael Pittman received a third-round grade when he asked for NFL Draft feedback this past winter.

Pittman (6'4/225) was kicking around a potential draft declaration, but the feedback he received was not what he was hoping for. The senior said of his decision to return to school, "I think I'm capable of better than what my projection was" and "I can really raise my stock higher." Pittman posted a relatively low-key 26-550-6 receiving line this past season, so certainly room for improvement. One downside to his decision not to come out for the spring -- he would have been part of a relatively thinner wide receivers class. As is, next year's draft is going to have one of the best classes of wideouts we have seen in some time. Pittman did not rank among Bleacher Report's Matt Miller's top-10 draft-eligible wideouts when he put his 2020 rankings together in early May.

SOURCE: usctrojans.com

Jun 17, 2019, 10:33 AM ET
This is why you don't come back to school.  His season was strong but how often do we see a 4th/5th year WR drastically improve their stock?  And even so, unless you get into the top 20 (top 10 really for the 5th year boost) there just isn't that much money difference.  You might even lose if you are a late 1st and get tagged for a 5th year.  Now he's lost an entire year of NFL level coaching and toward getting the 2nd contract started. 

cloppbeast said:
Maybe it's the breakout age thing that's holding down his hype. 
It should.

You're that size, why did you breakout at the same age that Amari Cooper was in his 2nd NFL season?

There is a TON of analytics that say that contested catch guys are a terrible predictor of success.

You want guys that get open in college, not guys that catch the ball when they are covered.

Mentioned this in a previous thread on combine night:

Tale of the tape:

Mike Evans, 6'5"/231, 4.53 40, 37 vert, 7.08 3 cone, 4.26 20 yard shuttle

Pittman Jr., 6'4"/223, 4.52 40, 36.5 vert, 6.96 3 cone, 4.14 20 year shuttle

The biggest physical difference in the two of them was Evans has about 3" longer arms and about half an inch larger hand size.  And then Pittman is running I think about 2 years older then Evans when he entered the league. Not at all saying he's Evans, but the physical characteristic matchups are noteworthy to me, the overall solid size/speed of Pittman and his production really merit him getting more attention then I think he's been getting, though he does seem to be picking up a little steam.
Mike Evans also had 2499 yards and 17 TD's in 2 years at A&M. 

Pittman had 2519 yards (a whole 20 more yards) and 19 TD's (2 more) in 4 years at USC.  

Physically they're similar, but ones an elite football player, the other is just an athlete. 

Pittman had 2519 yards (a whole 20 more yards) and 19 TD's (2 more) in 4 years at USC.  

Physically they're similar, but ones an elite football player, the other is just an athlete. 
ANd he redshirted.

Well Pittman did have a quarter of USCs receiving yards as a junior and a third as a senior. They havent found any decent QB play since Darnold left, so the total yards won't look great. 

Questions about why he waited so long to produce, I don't have any answers. If he gets gone in the second round I won't have any concerns about it.

Few things.

*He did not redshirt

*The USC football has been a disaster the last few years

*He was injured at the start of 2017 and may not have been healthy all year

*Spin this how you wish (this was immediately after his SO breakout vs. Stanford in the P-12 title game)

*He had a bad start to his JR year, but the lighbulb turned on during his week 6 bye. The reason you have to dig to see it in the raw stats is because he missed 2 more games with injury, but he had 6-90 minimum in the other 5 games.

*Despite those negatives he was given a 3rd round grade anyway - and remember the advisory committee is notoriously conservative with their grades.

---

I no longer pass judgment on declare or not decisions, but given the above info I don't hold his late breakout against him.

I would take him all day over Pittman.  Love this guy.
Why?  I wouldn't.  Johnson wasn't even the best WR on his team.  He  refused to run the 40 at the combine.  He decided to skip the measurement at the scouting combine .  What's up with that? 

Why?  I wouldn't.  Johnson wasn't even the best WR on his team.  He  refused to run the 40 at the combine.  He decided to skip the measurement at the scouting combine .  What's up with that? 
Here's why I like him:

In this class he's 7th in breakout age.  (Pittman is 25th)

1st in Dominator rating

Career:
13th in YPT
6th in Y/gm
4th in TD/gm
7th in REC/gm

2019:
8th in catch rate
10th in YPT
8th in Y/gm
7th TD/gm
8th in REC/gm

You cannot find a scouting report that says he's not a great route runner.   He gets open, then he catches the ball.  I like that in my WRs.  

Pittman is a 2nd rounder, Tyler is a 3/4/5th rounder.  With no athletic testing, I am guessing he's a 4 or a 5. Not working out hurt him. From an NFL perspective, Pittman has higher upside. Tyler Johnson is not a physical specimen. He's just a good WR. 

From a fantasy perspective, Pittman could easily be a 1st rounder. I'll take Tyler in the 3rd round over Pittman all day long.  

Man, if you avoid WRs with attitude problems, gonna be a lonely Big Board. 

Also, can I get a link to these attitude problems? Any list of suspensions, that kind of thing will do.  

Man, if you avoid WRs with attitude problems, gonna be a lonely Big Board. 

Also, can I get a link to these attitude problems? Any list of suspensions, that kind of thing will do.  
From what I've gleaned it's just been dot-connecting speculation. There at least appears to be some potential legitimacy, but consider his soon-to-be price tag and what you said in bold. It's not going to be a needle mover for me.

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman identifies USC WR Michael Pittman as his favorite wide receiver who will likely be selected outside of the first-round.

Pittman (6'4/223) led the 2020 wide receiver class with a 29 wonderlic score and is specifically mentioned by an anonymous USC coach as being a cerebral player who is always in the right spot. He ran a 4.52 40-yard dash at the combine, which is not blazing but given his large frame is still a respectable time. Feldman backs up his assertion by stating "He excels at catching contested balls and still was really productive when facing double teams and coverages that rolled towards him." Pittman is pegged as a Day 2 prospect in what is shaping up to be an incredible wide receiver class. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 21, 2020, 11:55 AM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that one team has a top-15 grade on USC WR Michael Pittman.

While one team looks to be hot to trot on Pittman, Pauline believes that ultimately, the USC wideout will end up going in the second round. The evaluator loves him as an underrated prospect in this draft and is not alone on that front, with The Athletic's Bruce Feldman tagging the 6-foot-4, 223-pounder as the best wide receiver likely to be selected after Round 1. In a deep receiver class, Pittman makes for an intriguing value play outside of the big boys like CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy and Justin Jefferson.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 22, 2020, 10:04 AM ET

He's got major pedigree. he knows what it takes to make it in the NFL. I took Metcalf for the same reason. This guy is way up on my radar.

It's a "Michael" thing :)
I think there is something to the notion of fantasy players being biased for or against certain players because of subconscious reactions to their name. I think I'm guilty of it at times. For people who rank according to various metrics, it might be an interesting exercise to randomize the data. Probably impossible because even if you black out the names and schools, FF data nerds like most of us will probably still recognize who had which stats. But still I admit I do have to catch myself sometimes when I think a name is cool, bland, or some other weird reaction that really is quite stupid as it relates to trying to scout and rank these guys.

Michael Pittman, with or without the Jr, sounds like a great receiver name to me. Kidding aside I do like him a lot and drafted him in a startup recently. I think he is as pro-ready as anyone in the class.

Pro Football Network's Andrew DiCecco believes that USC WR Michael Pittman could jump into the first round of this week's draft. 

"Pittman, who embraces special teams, should quickly earn a role as a red zone threat and special teams ace in the early goings, but the polished pass catcher will find himself in the starting lineup sooner than later," DiCecco wrote in his analysis of Pittman, who he believes could go anywhere from 27th in 32nd Thursday night. The former USC standout has been viewed by some analysts to be a Day 2 selection, but he doesn't lack for fans within league personnel rooms. Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline said on Tuesday that some teams have given Pittman a top-15 grade heading into Thursday's draft. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 23, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

He's got major pedigree. he knows what it takes to make it in the NFL. I took Metcalf for the same reason. This guy is way up on my radar.
His dad may have had the biggest biceps of any running back ever. I think that’s subconsciously contributing to his rise 

Users who are viewing this thread