What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moving to Tampa...where to live? (1 Viewer)

snore

Footballguy
Wife and I decided to pack up and move south as we are tired of the cold midwestern winters and our kids are grown up (kind of).  

Planning to move to Tampa area as we have friends in Orlando, Bradenton and Cape Coral so want to be kind of in-between. I can work from home so no worries there. 

Looking at Riverview-Brandon-Valrico area but not sure. Any general thoughts on locations? Would be looking to buy a house with a pool. Walkable neighborhoods would be nice but not a prerequisite. Pretty wide variance from a budget aspect as well. 

TIA. 

I live in Riverview and houses right now are in pretty high demand. It’s crazy crowded here until the bubble bursts. Have you looked a little further south around Parrish? The one neighborhood near me I can suggest that has what you’re describing is Waterset which (if you can actually get something). Screw Brandon and Valrico isn’t much better these days imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Riverview and houses right now are in pretty high demand. It’s crazy crowded here until the bubble bursts. Have you looked a little further south around Parrish? The one neighborhood near me I can suggest that has what you’re describing is Waterset which (if you can actually get something). Screw Brandon and Valrico isn’t much better these days imo.
Thanks man. Assuming Brandon and Valrico are also tough housing markets. Sounds like I am looking in a solid area though for us to focus on. 

Thanks man. Assuming Brandon and Valrico are also tough housing markets. Sounds like I am looking in a solid area though for us to focus on. 
Brandon is built up as is Valrico to a lesser  extent. The closer you get to Plant City, the more open it gets, but the types of amenities you’re looking for aren’t there. Fishhawk Ranch is another option, but in the middle of nowhere imo with a failed road. Feel free to ask me any questions about Riverview. I’ve lived there since 2006. 

I live in Hernando, 90 minutes north of Tampa. Yesterday for lack of nothing better to do we took our bicycles down and rode the downtown riverwalk to Davis Island and pedaled the perimeter. Stopped in for a Guinness at Molly Malones and then headed back to the Riverwalk.

Had lunch at Ulele which was exceptional, their beer is brewed on premise and the Rusty Red was one of the best ambers I've ever had. Grouper sandwich and shrimp and grits were superb. Beautiful restaurant with very cool sculpture all over and the service was also great. Our new Tampa must do lunch restaurant! 

Punxsutawney Phil said:
There isn't anything "walkable" in the areas you listed.
Ok that’s what I figured. I have a loose definition of “walkable”.  Current neighborhood is fine...safe, relatively clean, etc. All you can walk to are just blocks of houses... no big parks with trails, no bars , just rows and rows of houses. It’s super boring. 

Brandon is pretty much a strip mall.

The Tampa real estate market is out of control in my opinion. But, there definitely is a ton to do there. 

Have you looked in Lakeland? 

Brandon is pretty much a strip mall.

The Tampa real estate market is out of control in my opinion. But, there definitely is a ton to do there. 

Have you looked in Lakeland? 
Real estate is crazy everywhere. 

We have looked in Lakeland. Seems like a good option but a little farther away from the ocean. Any additional insights on that area?  Thanks

I visit my SIL who lives near the beach every year. I can't vouch for specific towns but I've seen nice neighborhoods in Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs. Beaches are good. Traffic pretty bad.

If you're spending FBG type money, maybe Clearwater.

I visit my SIL who lives near the beach every year. I can't vouch for specific towns but I've seen nice neighborhoods in Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs. Beaches are good. Traffic pretty bad.

If you're spending FBG type money, maybe Clearwater.
I live in Dunedin. Prettiest area in Tampa Bay — I would suggest there if you don’t have to live on the Tampa side. 

I live in Hernando, 90 minutes north of Tampa. Yesterday for lack of nothing better to do we took our bicycles down and rode the downtown riverwalk to Davis Island and pedaled the perimeter. Stopped in for a Guinness at Molly Malones and then headed back to the Riverwalk.

Had lunch at Ulele which was exceptional, their beer is brewed on premise and the Rusty Red was one of the best ambers I've ever had. Grouper sandwich and shrimp and grits were superb. Beautiful restaurant with very cool sculpture all over and the service was also great. Our new Tampa must do lunch restaurant! 
Love Ulele. Have you tried the Grouper at Big Ray’s Fish Camp? My favorite in town. 

Love Ulele. Have you tried the Grouper at Big Ray’s Fish Camp? My favorite in town. 
I'm very predictable at lunchtime. I am always in search of FL's best fried grouper sandwich. Ulele's ranks with the best. I will check out Big Ray's next time down.

I live in Dunedin. Prettiest area in Tampa Bay — I would suggest there if you don’t have to live on the Tampa side. 
I grew up in Tarpon and love that whole stretch from Dunedin north to TS. Especially Ozona. 

Safety Harbor would also be high on my list. 

Real estate is crazy everywhere. 

We have looked in Lakeland. Seems like a good option but a little farther away from the ocean. Any additional insights on that area?  Thanks
Best real estate market in the country in 2019 according to realtor.com. 

Parks. Lakes.  Beautiful homes and architecture.  Central Florida location. Getting big enough that you can find plenty of things to do, but still small enough to not want to kill yourself on your drive home.

If looking for affordable Tampa, try up the Veterans Expressway. Lots of newer construction from Lutz Lake Fern exit north. And much easier to get into the city/airport/beaches than out East in Brandon.

If looking for affordable Tampa, try up the Veterans Expressway. Lots of newer construction from Lutz Lake Fern exit north. And much easier to get into the city/airport/beaches than out East in Brandon.
The Veterans Expressway 589 is extending all the way to me now in Citrus County, work is underway to 486 and then beyond. It's really going to make a Tampa commute even easier than the 90 minutes it takes now. When we go there now on 589 it's like no man's land from 40 to Crystal River (98) and is a great traffic free cruise. Not much traffic until you get near airport/ 275 junction. 

I grew up in Tarpon and love that whole stretch from Dunedin north to TS. Especially Ozona. 

Safety Harbor would also be high on my list.
I live over by the Dunedin Causeway and home prices are still pretty reasonable. Palm Harbor school district and close proximity to the Pinellas trail and Honeymoon Island are why we chose to live here.

Users who are viewing this thread