What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs With Kids In College: What Actions Are Your Universities Taking Regarding COVID-19? (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
Just got an email from my son's college (University of Pittsburgh) that they are resuming class a week later than expected (March 23, on spring break now) and teaching all classes on-line for the rest of the semester. The tougher part is that students are not allowed back to campus housing for the rest of the semester unless they have no other option.

Have heard that many colleges are doing the same, primarily on-line classes, but wondering if this action is fairly universal now that it has been termed a pandemic.

What is happening on your end?    

Home on spring break. Told to stay away until end of month and they will re-evaluate at that time. 
Sounds a little less draconian. We didn't get a timeframe to stay away, but given that classes end mid-April, I think it's for the spring duration.

Sucks. My sons senior year at Va Tech.  I guess the plane competition they have been working on all year will be canceled.  Really bites for those seniors still looking for jobs

Sucks. My sons senior year at Va Tech.  I guess the plane competition they have been working on all year will be canceled.  Really bites for those seniors still looking for jobs
That does suck - I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely hard for kids that are graduating and can't take advantage of campus recruiting.

Also sucks for high school kids that want to visit colleges in the spring to decide where to apply.

Hofstra university, Hempstead, NY  has closed for two weeks, they say at this time they are planning to resume after that with a new schedule to make up work, we shall see

St. John's University, Queens NY, gave two days off this week and will start online classes for the rest of the month, we shall see if that continues rest of year, 

RIT = on spring break. No word on what they are doing yet. Currently looking to resume, but I have to think they are reconsidering this today.

Mercer = back from spring break. Put daughter on plane back to school last weekend. Even tho ever fiber of my being was screaming that it was the wrong call. As of today, they are still holding classes. But I am having daughter plan/prep for the need to pack up and get out of dodge at the drop of a hat. Just got a long term storage place near campus. While she didn't bring much, zero chance she can put all of it into a Civic. Biggest issue is that it is a stupid long drive home solo. 

ETA: This has been concern #1A for me in all of this. The dorms are effectively cruise ships. #1B are my elderly parents/inlaws. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That does suck - I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely hard for kids that are graduating and can't take advantage of campus recruiting.

Also sucks for high school kids that want to visit colleges in the spring to decide where to apply.
We've got 6 college visits this spring for our high school junior, only one completed so far.  I'm monitoring the status of the other 5 schools, but I'll be surprised if any of them happen.

We've got 6 college visits this spring for our high school junior, only one completed so far.  I'm monitoring the status of the other 5 schools, but I'll be surprised if any of them happen.
Yep...I just posted similar in the college admissions thread.  I guess we could go take a look at some places this summer but many schools won't have their organized tours and such over the summer.  My son plays football, so getting away in the fall will be pretty much impossible.

Notre Dame has suspended classes on campus until April 13.  I don't go to ND, but it'll affect our business.

After spring break, the University of Mn will have online classes until at least April 1. The instructors will contact students with further directions if the class cannot be done online. Students are encouraged to take online classes at home, but resident halls, dining halls and student services will remain open. 

I just posted same in College Admissions thread...

They're extending her spring break an extra week, then online courses rest of semester. Same plan for my daughter's school, they sports aren't yet officially cancelled. She was pretty bummed when I first talked to her when the news hit earlier in the day. Then she called back a little while ago and said one of her good friend's grandparents have a farm in Maui, and said a small group of them can live their and do their online courses/self-quarantine in exchange for working on the farm. Wife and I gave thumbs up, really couldn't come up with a reasonable downside. One less person in the house sucking up our internet connection, and she'll be a ####-ton happier

Ohio State  - 

on spring break right now;

online classes until March 30th - 

that was as of Monday - no update yet. 

Cleveland State - on spring break this week - adding a week of spring break and then on line only until April 10th

UCLA.  "Live" classes  suspended until April 11.  Finals next week will be online.  Then a week of Spring Break.  The first two weeks of the new quarter will be online only.  They'll make a decision about what to do at that point.  

I just posted same in College Admissions thread...

They're extending her spring break an extra week, then online courses rest of semester. Same plan for my daughter's school, they sports aren't yet officially cancelled. She was pretty bummed when I first talked to her when the news hit earlier in the day. Then she called back a little while ago and said one of her good friend's grandparents have a farm in Maui, and said a small group of them can live their and do their online courses/self-quarantine in exchange for working on the farm. Wife and I gave thumbs up, really couldn't come up with a reasonable downside. One less person in the house sucking up our internet connection, and she'll be a ####-ton happier
This sounds awesome.  I'm glad your daughter is making the best of a bad situation -- this will be a great experience for her.

UCLA.  "Live" classes  suspended until April 11.  Finals next week will be online.  Then a week of Spring Break.  The first two weeks of the new quarter will be online only.  They'll make a decision about what to do at that point.  
I signed up for an online course beginning April 8th at UCLA Extension. I'm wondering what will happen to it.

Trinity College - Kids go on spring break next week.   Then they stay at home an additional 2 weeks where all courses will continue in a remote fashion.   They will decide later whether this will be extended (I assume it will be).   All spring sports have been cancelled conference wide for the rest of the semester.

On Spring Break rn. Announced today they’ll be teaching all classes online until April 24.

My son graduates in May and wonders if he’ll ever see his fraternity house again (it’s 800 miles away.)

ETA: Michigan Tech

RIT just closed university housing. This is a chance from their earlier stance, but it reflects the changing situation on the ground. The gates come crashing down on 4/5. Told students if they are off campus to stay that way. Sounds like the are setting up a program to pack up the students stuff and put it into storage for them. I don't even want to think of the logistical nightmare that is going to be. I am glad I made the extraction run on Friday. Drove out, packed/loaded and back home. It was a long 14 hours, but that one stressor gone. On the plus side, I did get some awesome Duffs wings. Needed to do something to boost the morale. The whole moving out process was way depressing. For me. I can't imagine what my son was feeling. I am sure it was nothing good. The year shouldn't end this way.

Mercer is trying to split the baby. Haven't closed campus, classes are in person this coming week. Online next week. It is driving me insane. My daughter has reduced her footprint to effectively a suitcase. All the extra "luxury" stuff has been packed into a storage locker. Sounds like the professors are trying to do their best prepping for this chaotic week and doing right by their students. But the official stance is a mess. Trying to figure out when she leaves. It can't be soon enough for me. Daughter understands my POV, but the school is making this much harder than it should be and she feels a need to hand around. Still trying to decide if she makes the drive solo if I some how meet her 1/2 way. It is a long drive... 18hrs. Ugh.

Hopefully this is working out for the peeps that got kids in school.

Cornell. Online classes rest of the year. Grad students and professors still there. Undergrads sent home. Whole place will close up this week I believe. 

Ohio State kid - update - moving him out of his dorm tomorrow - 2.5 hour drive down, load up, 2.5 hour drive back; 

nobody to live in the dorm until the fall; Move out this week before 3/22/20. You have to sign up for a time to move out to keep some semblance of order and social distancing. They also ask that students not show up with a whole mess of people to help move. It will be just he and I tomorrow. 

Cornell. Online classes rest of the year. Grad students and professors still there. Undergrads sent home. Whole place will close up this week I believe. 
Cornell also.  Earlier in the week, they planned to wait until after their spring break (still two weeks away) to switch to virtual, but later decided to call it on Friday. Now they have three weeks off before starting up online. 

We live in the area, so the abrupt decision is easier on us than most. 

Oh, and there was a confirmed case announced this weekend a few minutes away at Ithaca College.

Just got an email from my son's college (University of Pittsburgh) that they are resuming class a week later than expected (March 23, on spring break now) and teaching all classes on-line for the rest of the semester. The tougher part is that students are not allowed back to campus housing for the rest of the semester unless they have no other option.

Have heard that many colleges are doing the same, primarily on-line classes, but wondering if this action is fairly universal now that it has been termed a pandemic.

What is happening on your end?    
Duke is doing exactly as you describe for Pitt, including chasing the kids from on campus housing unless, for security or health reasons, they have no other option. 

Duke is doing exactly as you describe for Pitt, including chasing the kids from on campus housing unless, for security or health reasons, they have no other option. 
Pitt is fortunately giving partial housing refunds if students depart university housing by this Friday 3/20. My son just drove up today to Pitt and staying in his frat house (university owned) until Friday. Sucks, but at least he gets a handful of days with his buddies before heading home for the rest of the semester.

Mercer just pulled it's collective head out of its butt. Class cancelled next week. Interestingly enough daughter will now be "car pooling" with some one a year behind her. They'll caravan their way back up. I'll be getting a hotel at the 1/2 way spot for them. At least they'll be able to support each on the trip up. For as much as Mercer's delay has annoyed me, they ameliorated some of it when they admitted some of delay was spent trying to make sure they could still protect the immigration status for some of their students. I can understand that. Some of these kids don't have another place to go. School is their home.

No word on room/board refunds from either school. I can wait on that news. Again, the logistics of all this are daunting. 

Brown canceled classes for this week, then it’s Spring Break, then online for rest of semester 

Kids were going to have until March 22 to move out. Then a prof tested positive Thursday and suddenly everyone has to be out by March 18

Bit the bullet and did the move out yesterday. 740 miles in total with a load out in the middle. But there was zero traffic anywhere, even GW Bridge. Was literally the only person getting gas at a NJ Turnpike rest stop, which I’ve never  experienced 

Definite “Fall of Saigon” vibes around the dorm with huge piles of stuff dumped out, cars and trucks everywhere. Except for the kid next door to my kid, who was obviously medicating his anxiety with copious amounts of cannabis at 10:30 on a Sunday morning 

UNC Greeley—my daughter is off one more week (and home with us now). She is going back Thursday and classes will be on-line starting the 23rd.. They have some naive notion they are going to somehow resume normal in person classes the first week of April. 

She lives in an off campus apartment and has a job so if the school decides to cancel for the rest of the year, she still has to stay. It will be like a ghost town around her, but she just signed   (And I co-signed) a lease that runs through next May at $650.00 a month—so she will need to stay and work. 

After spring break, the University of Mn will have online classes until at least April 1. The instructors will contact students with further directions if the class cannot be done online. Students are encouraged to take online classes at home, but resident halls, dining halls and student services will remain open. 
Update: online class for the rest of the year. And what he really cares about....baseball season canceled. 

My son is a senior at Michigan Tech. Online since March 13. No final determination on graduation but widely expected it’s not happening.

He was supposed to move to Seattle to begin work in June.

:shrug:

Western Washington University - Spring quarter is starting a week late, April 6, and all classes will be online until June and graded on a pass/fail basis.  Our son is going to be with us a few more weeks, but we are paying for his rent through July so I'm guessing he will head to Bellingham once its safe(r) to be with his friends.

And as a public service announcement, the Womxn (not a typo) of Color Empowerment Dinner scheduled for May 16th has been postponed to the fall quarter.

Kent State University to issue some refunds for room, meal plans and parking.  I wouldn't hold your breath, but if a few more universities start down this route, maybe a few of you in this thread can recoup a little.
There will be exceptions, but I expect most schools to issue some sort of refund. I work for a small college with declining enrollment nor much of an endowment, Not refunding students anything was never considered. Any larger or wealthier school deserves all of the public shaming should they choose not to.

There will be exceptions, but I expect most schools to issue some sort of refund. I work for a small college with declining enrollment nor much of an endowment, Not refunding students anything was never considered. Any larger or wealthier school deserves all of the public shaming should they choose not to.
NYU will give ya a little dance

Users who are viewing this thread