Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

How will CV affect the NFL?

The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan reports the NFL will allow teams to "set different attendance capacity limits."

“Attendance will be a state-by-state, county-by-county thing,” were the words of Kaplan's source. “It will not be a one size fits all." Meaning, depending on the coronavirus restrictions in place in certain states, some teams could be forced to play before empty stadiums while others are allowed to have fans. That would be a foolish policy, for a variety of reasons. Aside from the public health concerns, it would creative a competitive imbalance. It would also provide incentive for teams to push the envelope, which will be the last thing many different areas need. The NFL has done an excellent job of applying universal COVID standards this offseason and would be well served by doing the same thing for the upcoming regular campaign. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 23, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

40 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Attendance? That's funny.

Seriously, that ain't happening.  I will be absolutely ecstatic if they even HAVE a season.  I couldn't care less about fans in the stands.  

• Like 3

They're not having a season. They can't even get this thing under control in life, never mind among athletic participants. This is a nice comfort to think about, but it's unrealistic. There were 23 players testing positive at Clemson. Tampa was working out together and already has a bunch of cases. The likelihood of this not spreading given our federal response to it is great. I don't see how there's no season without placing players into unknown dangers heretofore unaddressed. How many lives are worth it? One? Two? What are we deciding here, and how grave is the outcome?

Very important things with very important consequences, I think.  

• Like 4

On 6/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, -OZ- said:

Agreed. :(

Losing college ball for the year is HUGE. Bigger than the NFL, by far around here.

It will also be the death of the other sports at some of those mid-level schools.

They'll know by July 15th if they're having a season, depending on how the current surge of cases in younger adults in Sun Belt states goes. 

Early word is that the cases are not as severe as March/April, especially under 40, and that treatment has improved. 

The next 3 weeks are key IMO. So far hospitals have been able to handle this but it's definitely something to watch.

(Not a medical professional)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It will also be the death of the other sports at some of those mid-level schools.

Yep, the potential for major changes is definitely a risk.

2020: The Year Without a Sport

22 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Seriously, that ain't happening.  I will be absolutely ecstatic if they even HAVE a season.  I couldn't care less about fans in the stands.  

You do realize NASCAR has fans attending races right? While the amount is very small, it is happening. So it very well could happen in football.

PGA has an outbreak now and is calling a press conference, if the PGA can't manage this NFL is RIP.  

• Like 1

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

UConn has officially cut men's cross country, women's rowing, men's swimming & diving and men's tennis, per release. Another effect of coronavirus.

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2020 at 2:57 AM, cheese said:

Playing the games for TV with no fans is such a logical compromise to me, but I guess they’re going to wait until the last minute to hope for the revenue. 

I honestly don’t think this should be left up to the league. Some players getting it can be dealt with. Tens of thousands of people in a stadium elevates the risk for the whole city.  I can say that for sure I won’t be buying the tickets I normally do and that I really hope they don’t allow people in my city to go to any games this year unless something changes drastically. In Europe, playing games in empty stadiums is working fine. 

Edited by GordonGekko

37 minutes ago, Payne said:

You do realize NASCAR has fans attending races right? While the amount is very small, it is happening. So it very well could happen in football.

Yeah and it's a mistake.  Let's see what numbers look like in the fall and we'll make a judgment as to whether fans will be in the stands.  They don't even have fans in the stands in Korean baseball or the Bundesliga, where things are fairly "under control".  Trust me I'm on the "optimist" side of the fence with this whole thing, but I can't see how fans are in the stands for NFL/college football... if there is even a season to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Payne said:

We are still 2.5 months away from the scheduled start of the season. But we have yet to see how things will go in the MLB, NBA, and NHL. Sure, soccer and baseball have had some success in restarting in other countries . . . but we have TONS of people in the States that are completely ignoring social distancing. Plenty of people not wearing masks, not keeping apart, and returning to group gatherings. That and the spread seems to have started up again after the 3 month stay at home period.

Let's see how things go in other sports before we start wondering what the NFL can or can't do. The PGA is having an issue. College football is having an issue. NFL teams haven't even been allowed to get back together yet and multiple players are testing positive. IMO, we are a long way away from figuring out what is in store for the upcoming NFL football this season.

On a side note, I am not a huge fan of the league coming out and saying that fan attendance will be left up to the individual teams / states / counties to determine if and how many spectators can be in attendance. I think that many places will try to push the boundaries to try to get as many fans in stadiums as quickly as possible (and things may fall on political affiliations as to how things play out). I think that will make for some really unfair homefield advantages if some teams are allowed a ton of fans while others may not be allowed any.

More importantly, what happens if there is an in-season outbreak among an individual team and they all need to be quarantined? Do they forfeit because they can't field a team that week or two? How could they reschedule games if there are no scheduled breaks during the season? What about if only key players test positive? Say Week 3 Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill test positive right before MNF . . . then what? Can they play? Do they sit out? Do they have to miss the following week against NE as well?

Depending upon who gets infected and what the outcome is, there is definitely a chance that the league will be forced to come to a full stop and reevaluate. If marquee players actually get sick . . . or some coaches end up in the hospital . . . or if a player comes home and infects his family . . . or there is a flare up directly linked to a game, players may not be so quick to continue playing and the league may need to change their strategy.

21 hours ago, Madam's_Adamant said:

They're not having a season. They can't even get this thing under control in life, never mind among athletic participants. This is a nice comfort to think about, but it's unrealistic. There were 23 players testing positive at Clemson. Tampa was working out together and already has a bunch of cases. The likelihood of this not spreading given our federal response to it is great. I don't see how there's no season without placing players into unknown dangers heretofore unaddressed. How many lives are worth it? One? Two? What are we deciding here, and how grave is the outcome?

Also, with the visibility these leagues have at the forefront of American (and global in the case of the NBA) culture, and all the social and charity causes they are leading, they have a responsibility to the public to act in good faith and be leaders in the midst of this pandemic. That includes knowing it would be ludicrous to have this season when nothing thus far has shown any ability by any organization or section of society to control this virus.

Posted (edited)

A season will not happen unless a vaccine/therapeutic magically gets developed soon.  Optically (as well as physically) it would be  a bigger failure if they start a season and have to shut it down a few games in versus showing that they actually care about player and coach safety and just postpone things by a year.  The NFL has already had its integrity questioned when it comes to player safety---if they try to force things and players/coaches/fans start getting sick--all of that integrity will get questioned again.  

Edited by jvdesigns2002

USA Today’s Mike Jones reports club owners will meet Thursday to discuss preparations for the 2020 season.

Discussion topics include an update on Inspire Change social justice programs, workplace diversity progress, and preparations for the 2020 season (training camp included). The league remains ‘highly optimistic’ the regular season will occur, and any planning used thus far to avoid setbacks during the offseason and facility re-openings would be a plus. As it stands, fans should not only expect a season opener as scheduled, but for limited capacity to be involved on a state-by-state basis, as well.

SOURCE: Mike Jones on Twitter

Jun 24, 2020, 2:11 PM ET

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports “multiple” clubs are proceeding as if veterans will report to camp July 28.

The NFL and NFLPA are still negotiating what camp will look like and how the protocols will be handled, but this is the first hard date we’ve heard since initial speculation of a late start first occurred. Any shortened season would likely entail two preseason games rather than 4/5, but players are nonetheless are fully expected to report on the aforementioned date. Further protocols to ensure amplified safety precautions will likely be discussed at Thursday’s owners meeting.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jun 24, 2020, 5:11 PM ET

So, over 200 players in close quarters, with many of these guys, for lack of a better term, not being the most discreet.  Personally, i am pessimistic an NFL season completes itself. 

The '81 strike had a 9 game season.....?  NFL could do division 2x and the other 3 divisions 1x for 9 games, but this won't happen.  I'd rather a delay and 9 games than a start and stop scenario.  Without fans i don't know how that income is made up by owners.  Such a cluster.

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 6:33 AM, -OZ- said:

Yep, the potential for major changes is definitely a risk.

Edited by GordonGekko

On 6/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, Madam's_Adamant said:

So a quarter of the Clemson roster already has had it and we're 2+ months out.  Seems like they all will have had it by September and there won't be any issues.  

If I'm the average NFL player, I'm not giving up one of my 3 career seasons.  I'm likely young, in decent shape, and have access to the best care.  I'll take my chances and if I get infected I'll do my quarantine an be done with it.  The odds of me dying from Corona likely less than the odds being permanently crippled or killed playing the game.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

So a quarter of the Clemson roster already has had it and we're 2+ months out.  Seems like they all will have had it by September and there won't be any issues.  

So apparently the shark play, in line with the desperate economists/we must open at all cost crowd is to purposely infect them all, allow the weaker to “suffer the consequences” and then profit. 

Edited by JetMaxx

Just now, JetMaxx said:

So apparently the shark play, in line with the desperate economists, we must open at all cost crowd is to purposely infect them all, allow the weaker to “suffer the consequences” and then profit. 

We're well on on way to them all having had it without even playing game one.

11 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

If I'm the average NFL player, I'm not giving up one of my 3 career seasons.  I'm likely young, in decent shape, and have access to the best care.  I'll take my chances and if I get infected I'll do my quarantine an be done with it.  The odds of me dying from Corona likely less than the odds being permanently crippled or killed playing the game.

I would counter and say if I was one of the better than average NFL players and expected(at least in my own mind) that I would me making ~$10mil over the next few seasons I'd probably simply sit this one out. Players always THINK that their NFL career is going to be longer than it actually is. Adrian Peterson thinks he has four more years left. Maybe we will see above average players more likely to sit out while the guys that were on the fringe of the league will be more likely to play out whatever NFL career they have.  I think some of the people in the "play for me at all costs" crowd are minimizing how much poorer the product is actually going to be with little preparation for the season and multiple players sitting out for both teams. What if the $60mil QB does want to play but his OT's playing on rookie deals don't see the benefit? They have plenty of time to come back and make their money if they are on their rookie deal. 

There are several NBA players that disagree with you and I'd bet as we get closer to the NBA restart there will be more as we get closer to that league playing actual games. The NBA has had a much, MUCH more thoughtful and safe approach to restart their season than the NFL has presented thus far. There are players that still don't seem to think it's worth the risk to participate in some asterisk of a season.

Keep in mind the health complication rate in the African-American community is much higher than the population overall. It's much more likely that an NFL player has had someone in their family/friends network that has had a negative experience than just the average guy on the street. It's one thing to see statistics scrolling across a screen and tabulating your odds, it's a whole different thing if an ex-coach, teacher, uncle, grandmother, etc had a serious health complication or worse. That makes the health risk seem much more "real". I wouldn't blame any athlete for sitting out, and if they are getting paid well in 2021 and beyond it seems pretty silly to take any risk on 2020.

1 minute ago, BoltBacker said:

I would counter and say if I was one of the better than average NFL players and expected(at least in my own mind) that I would me making ~$10mil over the next few seasons I'd probably simply sit this one out. Players always THINK that their NFL career is going to be longer than it actually is. Adrian Peterson thinks he has four more years left. Maybe we will see above average players more likely to sit out while the guys that were on the fringe of the league will be more likely to play out whatever NFL career they have.  I think some of the people in the "play for me at all costs" crowd are minimizing how much poorer the product is actually going to be with little preparation for the season and multiple players sitting out for both teams. What if the $60mil QB does want to play but his OT's playing on rookie deals don't see the benefit? They have plenty of time to come back and make their money if they are on their rookie deal. 

There are several NBA players that disagree with you and I'd bet as we get closer to the NBA restart there will be more as we get closer to that league playing actual games. The NBA has had a much, MUCH more thoughtful and safe approach to restart their season than the NFL has presented thus far. There are players that still don't seem to think it's worth the risk to participate in some asterisk of a season.

Keep in mind the health complication rate in the African-American community is much higher than the population overall. It's much more likely that an NFL player has had someone in their family/friends network that has had a negative experience than just the average guy on the street. It's one thing to see statistics scrolling across a screen and tabulating your odds, it's a whole different thing if an ex-coach, teacher, uncle, grandmother, etc had a serious health complication or worse. That makes the health risk seem much more "real". I wouldn't blame any athlete for sitting out, and if they are getting paid well in 2021 and beyond it seems pretty silly to take any risk on 2020.

Good points. I would counter the the nba players got 50% of their play and their careers last much longer with options in other leagues the pay a living wage. 

Yes, not every nfl player will want to play. Many will want to keep their car and nice pad. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Whenever I look at football sidelines at almost any level I see plenty of coaches/trainers/etc that would certainly qualify as the high risk category. 

Seems like a lot of folks are willing to volunteer others(not saying it's just you but using the discussion as an example) to risk their health. In this case even if you don't care if all the bus drivers/hotel workers/coaches/airport workers/team doctors/etc could potentially be at much higher risk than a 20yo athlete..... it's worth noting that these 20yo world class athletes are making $0.00 to take that risk with their health.

As others have mentioned several times is Trevor Lawrence really going to take ANY risk? Why would he. If he sits out some sham of a 2020 CFB season does anyone honestly think he won't get drafted in the first round?

3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Good points. I would counter the the nba players got 50% of their play and their careers last much longer with options in other leagues the pay a living wage. 

Yes, not every nfl player will want to play. Many will want to keep their car and nice pad. 

Yeah that's true, and the culture of the NFL is more of a dogfight just to stay on a roster. 

I guess I would just worry that you will have scab level of play if all the good players sit out and the mediocre to below average players play with little or no time to prepare for a season.

It's going to be a mess in 2020 either way. At this point we should just punt 2020. Let's all read self-help books, get projects done around the house, start a new hobby, or learn a foreign language. We aren't likely to really enjoy these half #### attempts at sports anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

Whenever I look at football sidelines at almost any level I see plenty of coaches/trainers/etc that would certainly qualify as the high risk category. 

Seems like a lot of folks are willing to volunteer others(not saying it's just you but using the discussion as an example) to risk their health. In this case even if you don't care if all the bus drivers/hotel workers/coaches/airport workers/team doctors/etc could potentially be at much higher risk than a 20yo athlete..... it's worth noting that these 20yo world class athletes are making $0.00 to take that risk with their health.

As others have mentioned several times is Trevor Lawrence really going to take ANY risk? Why would he. If he sits out some sham of a 2020 CFB season does anyone honestly think he won't get drafted in the first round?

Those supporting roles can distance and mask up. Can’t speak to Trevor but the majority of these college players aren’t stopping partying and mingling with the opposite sex because of covid. Drive around your neighborhood and you can see how the young generation is handling this

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Those supporting roles can distance and mask up. Can’t speak to Trevor but the majority of these college players aren’t stopping partying and mingling with the opposite sex because of covid. Drive around your neighborhood and you can see how the young generation is handling this

Young and dumb never before translated to the economic success/failure of a nation. 

Edited by JetMaxx

Games may not have fans in the stadium . . . But that may not stop teams from selling parking and having concessions for sale in the parking lot. 

LINK

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, BassNBrew said:

Edited by GordonGekko

9 minutes ago, GordonGekko said:

The issue with training camp might be more for helping to sort out some of the "service time" and some complicated insurance issues.

By having a limited training camp but NO season, this would allow the league to reinforce conduct/media standards uniformly to players. This would also allow teams to properly process what will end up being service time issues long term for the league. ( You will get paid, and you will get credit for a full season of service time, provided you meet these requirements based on new league protocols of safety)  So for fringe players, losing a season is huge if the service time is lost with it. But if there is a blanket service time amnesty for the entire league, it will work in their favor potentially.

I'm not an attorney ( Sorry, couldn't sell my soul like an Otis could) but would be interesting to see what kind of Force Majeure type provisions exist in the current agreement, then relatively speaking how they exist in other major sports. And how future negotiations of such will impact the next agreement, which will spill over into how the massive TV deals will get negotiated.

Having a training camp might also be a back door for NFL teams to get people under their insurance umbrella for this kind of situation. So provisions to expand the injured list or practice squad might happen. Coaches need to be protected too. While a normal lockout or work stoppage would put many coaches in a lurch, this kind of situation is different. Leaving any NFL coach ( not the big name ones, but the rank and file grunts trying to move up and are disposable) out to dry and basically get sick and die will be horrible PR for the league. Also it would trigger the "Dirty Laundry Clause" that is always implied but never spoken throughout any major sport.

A team leaves its coaches and their families to basically die would have every piece of ugly #### they've done make it to the press. The Patriots decide to flush out those lower level coaches to the wind, suddenly the truth of the Angry Bill/Mangini saga comes out, Brady's version of Jon Snow gets unearthed, #### covered up about Aaron H, things Kraft did around his wife's deathbed, the really ugly #### that would gut a team's image for decades. And that's just one team. NFL owners and the NFLPA need to tread carefully here.

It's not worth it to have a season. That being said, the larger problem in place is the general economy. That should worry the hell out of people right now. Football be damned for the moment.

Good to see you. 

John Berman
@JohnBerman

JUST NOW: "Football is a nonessential business and so we don't need to do it. So the risk, you know, has to be really eliminated before we -- before I would feel comfortable with going back. "

Saints @MalcolmJenkins  concerned about a return to play

Malcolm Jenkins: Returning to play on “trust system” puts us at risk (ProFootballTalk)

Unlike the NBA, the NFL is not going to be locking players, coaches and others in a “bubble” while trying to play this year. Jenkins noted that increases interactions with people outside of teams and creates other considerations for those needed to make the season happen.

“We kinda end up being on this trust system. The honor system, where we just have to kind of hope that people are social distancing and things like that. And that puts all of us at risk,” Jenkins said. “Not only us as players and who’s in the building, but when you go home to your families. I have parents who I don’t want to get sick. Until we get to the point where we have protocols in place and until we get to a place as a country where we feel safe doing it, we have to understand that football is a nonessential business and so we don’t need to do it. So the risk, you know, has to be really eliminated before we, before I would feel comfortable with going back.”

Now ... the question is: how much company does Jenkins have among NFL players? I know it won't be 100%. I would doubt it would even be 50% (at least not right this minute). But is Jenkins truly on an island here or not?

Speaking Thursday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell refused to close the door on fans attending games in 2020. 

Goodell said the league's plan was to "get ready for games at our stadiums and to engage our fans both in stadiums and through our media partners." That sounds more like an aspiration than a "plan." The rest of the North American sports leagues have largely given up on hosting fans as the coronavirus burns across the continent, but the NFL has been a consistent holdout. The decision will ultimately be made for them, but it is still notable. With Week 1 essentially another lifetime from now in COVID years, Goodell's stance is not indefensible.  

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jun 25, 2020, 3:23 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL has approved a plan to cover the seats closest to the field this season. 

Per Schefter, the covers would then be adorned with sponsor logos. The NFL is so far refusing to rule out the possibility that fans will be allowed to attend games amidst the coronavirus pandemic, but it is seeming less likely with each passing day. This only further confirms it. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jun 25, 2020, 3:56 PM ET

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, Doug B said:

Now ... the question is: how much company does Jenkins have among NFL players? I know it won't be 100%. I would doubt it would even be 50% (at least not right this minute). But is Jenkins truly on an island here or not?

Edited by GordonGekko

Doug Kezirian  @DougESPN

If we want NFL or CFB this Fall, we probably have to accept positive tests -- and allow asymptomatic players to suit up

Quote Tweet

Tim Bontemps  @TimBontemps

Adam Silver: "My ultimate conclusion is we can't outrun the virus, and we are going to be living with this for the foreseeable future."

-----------------------------------

This is the only way it (sports) will work.

Racing and golf have an opportunity here given the non-contact nature of their sport and their ability to have distanced fans (huge racetrack capacities, large mass of land at golf courses). 

I really think when the first team sport player/coach/trainer/staff death tied to covid happens, all team sports go down until vaccine. 

Have a hard time seeing how this isn't a train wreck

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:29 PM, facook said:

Doug Kezirian  @DougESPN

If we want NFL or CFB this Fall, we probably have to accept positive tests -- and allow asymptomatic players to suit up

Quote Tweet

Tim Bontemps  @TimBontemps

Adam Silver: "My ultimate conclusion is we can't outrun the virus, and we are going to be living with this for the foreseeable future."

-----------------------------------

This is the only way it (sports) will work.

I have seen many reports of all the players in various sports getting the virus but nowhere can I find any reports on how it is actually affecting the players.  Is it like a normal virus where they feel bad a few days and back to normal?  Are they asymptomatic? Are there hospitalizations (doubtful or we would have gotten reports)?  My guess is that the impact (individuals levels of sickness) is very minimal other than the shock of players having the virus. 

8 minutes ago, Gally said:

I have seen many reports of all the players in various sports getting the virus but nowhere can I find any reports on how it is actually affecting the players.  Is it like a normal virus where they feel bad a few days and back to normal?  Are they asymptomatic? Are there hospitalizations (doubtful or we would have gotten reports)?  My guess is that the impact (individuals levels of sickness) is very minimal other than the shock of players having the virus. 

Everything I've seen of current players are very mild to no symptoms.  I think one of the golfers this last weekend said he had minor cold-like symptoms.  Gobert said he still can't smell very well but that is the only lasting impact on anyone I've heard of for current athletes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, facook said:

Everything I've seen of current players are very mild to no symptoms.  I think one of the golfers this last weekend said he had minor cold-like symptoms.  Gobert said he still can't smell very well but that is the only lasting impact on anyone I've heard of for current athletes.

I know this would never happen due to liability issues but based on all symptoms being very mild on well conditioned athletes would it logically make sense to isolate full teams and let the virus go through them like chicken pox back in the day.  Have a team with "herd immunity" and then they don't have to worry about it?  I know it's a crazy idea and will never happen but wonder if it would work. 

Edited by Gally