What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

A similar situation happened in hockey a while ago. IIRC, they went with a weighted lottery. 
Weighted against what?  Previous records?  Isn't that kind of skewed in the NFL with free agency (worst team in the league drafts Joe burrow, gets too pick again and hits a Homer, suddenly signssome key free agents while key players in the division age out of the league, etc). Seems like a lot of movement possibility.  Not saying I'm against it...just curious how it might go because, sure the top of the draft has some players from college you feel really good about but how would an Nfl team go multiple rounds deep if college doesn't play?  How do they guage talent at all outside the upper class men that have some record of deeds?

Weighted against what?  Previous records?  Isn't that kind of skewed in the NFL with free agency (worst team in the league drafts Joe burrow, gets too pick again and hits a Homer, suddenly signssome key free agents while key players in the division age out of the league, etc). Seems like a lot of movement possibility.  Not saying I'm against it...just curious how it might go because, sure the top of the draft has some players from college you feel really good about but how would an Nfl team go multiple rounds deep if college doesn't play?  How do they guage talent at all outside the upper class men that have some record of deeds?
Teams will have tape of players. I’m sure there were guys that weren’t eligible yet that would have been first round picks. Maybe they have fewer rounds. As far as a draft lottery, give each team something like 10 ping pong balls for each loss. 

Don't have a draft?   If the NFL cancelled the colleges would also and they would want to retain their players.   Who knows if they could.  
They couldn't.
Not on purpose, but the NFL draft would certainly be MUCH different. The top rounds wouldn't be affected too much talent-wise, but with a year less seasoning those players will be less ready....and the picks less certain with less tape. The lower rounds would be decimated as many of those players will stay in college and play there if the option exists. We'd see some ripple effects for several years as college players will be less NFL-ready then in the recent past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a draft?   If the NFL cancelled the colleges would also and they would want to retain their players.   Who knows if they could.  
The nfl will 100% have a draft. Literally no chance of a cancellation happening. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the NFLPA has made an economic counterproposal to the league regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Amongst the Union's proposals: No escrow of 2020 salaries, a flat 2021 salary cap of $198.2 million, "spread revenue loss this year over 2022-2030 caps" and "all fully guaranteed money paid even if games are canceled." Only the last idea may be a non-starter, but none of this will be automatic. This is the dialogue that needs to be happening, but it's astounding it did not begin sooner. The supposed training camp report date of July 28 is only 11 days away. Profootballtalk reports the sides hope to have an agreement by next Tuesday or Wednesday. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 11, 2020, 10:57 AM ET

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the NFL and NFLPA have yet to formally agree on a July 28 report date for training camp. 

Per Russini, "the league and the player’s union have not agreed on dates of reporting for camp or prior dates for testing of COVID-19." The league probably has the unilateral ability to make players report, but as we saw with Major League Baseball, leagues would like to avoid using that kind of power at a time like this. Players like J.J. Watt have made the case that camp should only begin when both sides are truly ready, and that the downsides of rushing an arbitrary report date far outweigh the benefits. 

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Jul 11, 2020, 11:07 AM ET

The City of Philadelphia will not allow fans to attend Eagles games this fall. 

"There’s no way for them to be safe having a crowd there,” were the words of health commissioner Thomas Farley. Managing director Brian Abernathy then confirmed. “The Eagles are still going to be allowed to play, although without crowds." The NFL has adopted the curious course of a team-by-team policy when it comes to fans, creating competitive advantage issues in addition to the more pressing public safety concerns. By not blanket banning fans, the NFL is incentivizing municipalities to carve out potentially dangerous exceptions. The league is still struggling to get serious about COVID-19. It is running out of time.  

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer 

Jul 14, 2020, 3:18 PM ET

Zero chance these owners let the season get cancelled. They’ll come up with some insane plan but they’re going to roll these teams out. If baseball pulls it off best believe nfl will do it. 

My redraft has set a draft date and the  commish (who is a doctor - albeit sleep medicine and not infectious disease) Is convinced the season is going to happen in full.

Zero chance these owners let the season get cancelled. They’ll come up with some insane plan but they’re going to roll these teams out. If baseball pulls it off best believe nfl will do it. 
Hopeful you're right. A zero revenue year for FBG would be a challenge. Plenty of other businesses having to deal with the same. 

And I don't want to sound too whiny here, and I know it's a message board and all. But if people might pull back a little on the snark factor with the "not gonna happen" type stuff, it'd be appreciated. No season means me and quite a few other people I care a ton about lose their jobs for a while. 

I wouldn't want any of us talking about other folk's here and their livelihood that way. 

Thanks. And I know that sounds whiny. Sorry, just sort of wearing me down sometimes. 

And I don't want to sound too whiny here, and I know it's a message board and all. But if people might pull back a little on the snark factor with the "not gonna happen" type stuff, it'd be appreciated. No season means me and quite a few other people I care a ton about lose their jobs for a while. 

I wouldn't want any of us talking about other folk's here and their livelihood that way. 

Thanks. And I know that sounds whiny. Sorry, just sort of wearing me down sometimes. 
Also, it’s just not realistic. I know football is more physical than other sports and some other ones are going into a bubble but if mlb, nhl, nba and for god’s sake mls are playing you can believe the nfl will. 

Also, it’s just not realistic. I know football is more physical than other sports and some other ones are going into a bubble but if mlb, nhl, nba and for god’s sake mls are playing you can believe the nfl will. 
Yeah. That's why I'm cheering so hard for NBA/MLB/UFC/NASCAR/MLS/PGA and more to pull this off. It's discouraging to see so many think those sports won't make it. I've had to pull myself out of much of the discussion online as it just got too much. I want to be aware of course. But the flip talk about what will mean a catastrophic business year was tough. And for sure, there are lots of people dealing with way more than losing their business so I know that's whiny on my part. Just sort of tough when it's on your own board. 

A season will happen but I am not quite sure I will be playing fantasy football this year. Its already so luck driven with injuries. Imagine all the last minute lineup changes due to Covid cases? Imagine going into a Monday night and you only have one player left and your down 2 points and the game is postponed due to a positive COVID test of a few players?

That sounds more than fair and considerate, but then how to express it? With the caveat that all of us want it to happen and care about the people losing their livelihoods for a time? That goes without saying for me, I hope. Perhaps the internet is a different beast, but the thoughts of over 200,000 dead and massive industries being shelved until a vaccine for the cause is found is nothing to revel in, nor have or express joy about.

That said, there is an air of inevitability and invincibility that people are taking about the day-to-day that may have already cost lives. The inability to simply stay in place and follow basic common sense, from leadership on down, has caused this virus to rage in this country like almost no other. Perhaps the pushback and "snark" comes from the fact that owners and their adherents may be putting others in jeopardy by simply playing the season. The desire to see them play and the possibility of it causing death, possibly widespread, is not mutually exclusive because of the good intentions behind the well wisher.

One may very well have good intentions with a hug in this instance; but the joy of the bearer may be giving another a death sentence. It's sad, but this is the reality we're faced with until a workable vaccine or improved treatment for the affliction happens. 

Until then, don't mistake predictions for some sort of sick glee. The smartest people in the world can't figure it out. The ones who have to a degree have gone about it radically differently than the current way in which we're having sports go again. And saying that it's not happening is better than saying that there are some who are so cynical that money will trump all else. That's truly a revolting sentiment. 

A season will happen but I am not quite sure I will be playing fantasy football this year. Its already so luck driven with injuries. Imagine all the last minute lineup changes due to Covid cases? Imagine going into a Monday night and you only have one player left and your down 2 points and the game is postponed due to a positive COVID test of a few players?
I think you just have to take the L and move on? Everybody has to go into this year knowing it’s a possibility so I wouldn’t be playing in any big-time entry fee leagues. Jmo

That sounds more than fair and considerate, but then how to express it? With the caveat that all of us want it to happen and care about the people losing their livelihoods for a time? That goes without saying for me, I hope. Perhaps the internet is a different beast, but the thoughts of over 200,000 dead and massive industries being shelved until a vaccine for the cause is found is nothing to revel in, nor have or express joy about.

That said, there is an air of inevitability and invincibility that people are taking about the day-to-day that may have already cost lives. The inability to simply stay in place and follow basic common sense, from leadership on down, has caused this virus to rage in this country like almost no other. Perhaps the pushback and "snark" comes from the fact that owners and their adherents may be putting others in jeopardy by simply playing the season. The desire to see them play and the possibility of it causing death, possibly widespread, is not mutually exclusive because of the good intentions behind the well wisher.

One may very well have good intentions with a hug in this instance; but the joy of the bearer may be giving another a death sentence. It's sad, but this is the reality we're faced with until a workable vaccine or improved treatment for the affliction happens. 

Until then, don't mistake predictions for some sort of sick glee. The smartest people in the world can't figure it out. The ones who have to a degree have gone about it radically differently than the current way in which we're having sports go again. And saying that it's not happening is better than saying that there are some who are so cynical that money will trump all else. That's truly a revolting sentiment. 
No worries. I don't think anyone is gleeful about it. Flip or snarky was more my concern. And I get it. I don't think anyone is actively cheering for FBG to go out of business. But there are real repercussions for people I care a ton about that are rough. 

It's too dramatic but I've used the example of a hospital waiting room visiting a guy that's really sick. The guy's best friend there is super worried. The guy who's visiting because he had some sort of non personal business relationship is less worried. And if the talk turns to "Yeah he's probably not gonna make it", that's a hard thing for the best friend to hear. Even if they truly believe it. 

And yes, I'm whining again. Sheesh. 

It's too dramatic but I've used the example of a hospital waiting room visiting a guy that's really sick. The guy's best friend there is super worried. The guy who's visiting because he had some sort of non personal business relationship is less worried. And if the talk turns to "Yeah he's probably not gonna make it", that's a hard thing for the best friend to hear. Even if they truly believe it.
When you put it that way, it certainly hits a little more. Nobody wants to be the friend who turns the talk that way. Noted. I think I've said enough on these boards how I feel. I was mainly doing it so dynasty folks could plan for the possibility and deal with expiring contracts, service time, future picks, etc. That was more in the SP.

I'll be sure to be more conscious of how I'm saying what I'm saying. Thanks.

When you put it that way, it certainly hits a little more. Nobody wants to be the friend who turns the talk that way. Noted. I think I've said enough on these boards how I feel. I was mainly doing it so dynasty folks could plan for the possibility and deal with expiring contracts, service time, future picks, etc. That was more in the SP.

I'll be sure to be more conscious of how I'm saying what I'm saying. Thanks.
Thanks Buddy. For sure no hard feelings. I know people don't mean it that way. I just felt like it might be helpful if I let folks know how I was seeing it. All good. And for sure, zero hard feelings at all. 

My redraft has set a draft date and the  commish (who is a doctor - albeit sleep medicine and not infectious disease) Is convinced the season is going to happen in full.
I'd love to hear with as much detail as possible what your doctor commish friend is thinking and why on this. Thanks. 

I'd love to hear with as much detail as possible what your doctor commish friend is thinking and why on this. Thanks. 
I don't have any more details than that right now. All he (who is a FBG himself) said was "In reply to those doubting a season, I think there's 95% plus chance there's a complete season."

I think anybody trying to guess whether there's a season or not is just that, guessing.  There's a non-zero chance of both happening.  I'd lean towards them trying to make it happen with expanded rosters but I feel pretty certain if we have a player in ICU or god forbid one die they will most likely shut it down.  Mainly because you'll have a bunch of players say they aren't playing.  I mean, think about it - how many of us are being asked to go and do our jobs knowing that you not only can't social distance but you can't wear a mask.  They are working hard to come up with new helmets and hopefully they find something that works but I know I wouldn't be too keen on it.  Once camps start you have to expect some outbreaks unless they clamp down hard on the players.  I really hope leagues and sports can work it out but there's no way I'd bet money on it happening.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league's latest proposal includes two preseason games in 2020.

The NFLPA however wants no preseason plus testing frequency and injury protections for those who contract COVID-19. "We still don't have answers," one source told Pelissero. The owners seem intent on forcing two preseason games to fill their pockets while the players simply want to feel safe for being at-risk. With only two weeks until veterans report to training camp on July 28, the league and Union remain far apart on any reasonable outcome. Buckle up.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 15, 2020, 2:04 PM ET

That's where I'm at. No way the NFL is going to sit back and watch as MLB and NBA get their seasons in and then not find a way themselves. Of course you have to be of the belief that MLB and NBA are going to be able to pull it off and I do have that belief. Both have had great 2nd and 3rd rounds of testing since their players began reporting and round one of testing occurred. Heck even the TBT had their positive test cases down to zero by the time their tournament came to its conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread