What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

I'll match that.  I don't live, breathe, and eat FF like I did years ago but I have always loved this site and want it to continue for the next generations of FF players.   
Thanks Folks. Y'all are super kind. Hopefully this won't be necessary but I very much appreciate the sentiment and the generosity.

Seriously, thank you. 🙏 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of back on the topic and related:. With the reports now that testing is getting delayed and logjammed, I think it's another side-reason why maybe all sports should stand down.  With talk from sports leagues saying they will be testing players and support people multiple times  a week, etc, I would think that takes away from others.  I'd rather see everyday working people and their families be able to test and get results and keep people working and treating the virus vs. knowing Ryan Fitzpatrick is clean and can play QB 5-6 times a week.  

Just seems like that time and effort reading tests would be better utilized on society at Large versus baseball, football, and basketball. 

Also - sneak peek at the new feature from our Dr. Jene Bramel on what to expect as players return. 

Coronavirus and the NFL: What to Expect as Players Report

I do think it's important to manage expectations.

WHAT TO WATCH THIS PRESEASON

Expect a number of players to test positive during their initial testing

As of July 21, the NFLPA reported 95 players with known positive tests to date. If the league allows 90 man training camp rosters, 2880 players will be tested – along with many more coaches, team personnel, and support staff.

Other professional leagues have had between 1-5% of their players test positive upon return to team facilities. Expect similar numbers for the NFL.

The early test results are important but will not be a deal-breaker. The NFLPA reported 30 additional players who tested positive between July 17 and July 21, though it's possible most -- if not all -- of those positive tests occurred before July 17.

If players continue to test positive after the league’s protocols are in place and camp begins, the NFL will have to re-evaluate how to move forward.

Kind of back on the topic and related:. With the reports now that testing is getting delayed and logjammed, I think it's another side-reason why maybe all sports should stand down.  With talk from sports leagues saying they will be testing players and support people multiple times  a week, etc, I would think that takes away from others.  I'd rather see everyday working people and their families be able to test and get results and keep people working and treating the virus vs. knowing Ryan Fitzpatrick is clean and can play QB 5-6 times a week.  

Just seems like that time and effort reading tests would be better utilized on society at Large versus baseball, football, and basketball. 
MLB is doing their own testing. They converted their PED testing facility into a COVID testing facility for the time being.

MLB is doing their own testing. They converted their PED testing facility into a COVID testing facility for the time being.
Good point and I understand that so that, in a sense, the MLB is not taking away from the general population.  But what if they used those resources like Dyson, Ford, and other companies that stopped their normal operations and helped the general population?  Maybe we could get the backlog under control since the MLB has some access to be able to test, etc. 

Also - sneak peek at the new feature from our Dr. Jene Bramel on what to expect as players return. 

Coronavirus and the NFL: What to Expect as Players Report

I do think it's important to manage expectations.

Yes.  NFL is in the "normal" zone of positive tests/people tested at this point.  Considering geographical/behavioral differences, seems like the players are right in line with the norm...but much less likely to suffer than the normal person.

Sorry, not the place.

I will just say: not every test taken by a professional athlete would just be paralleled to a common worker.

The NFLPA has corrected the number of "known positive" COVID-19 cases amongst the union from 95 to 59. 

Whoops. NFL Network's James Palmer reports the initial number included all known positives across the league. The new one reflects only players. That is still roughly two percent of the NFLPA's membership, but it's not quite as frightening of a number, especially since that is presumably total cases since March and not current positives. The first few weeks of training camp are going to be a fraught time. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Jul 21, 2020, 8:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports roster sizes are expected to be limited to 80 to begin training camp. 

It's a brutal break for undrafted free agents, but an unavoidable hazard of the COVID-19 season. Most rosters remain well over 80 players, so there is going to be a host of cuts between now and next week. Camp is expected to feature training in smaller groups and a longer ramp-up period to full contact. The preseason has officially been canceled. We are going to see some seriously shaky play early in the regular season. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jul 21, 2020, 6:20 PM ET

The Falcons expect attendance this year at Mercedes-Benz Stadium to be limited to between 10,000 and 20,000. 

Reducing attendance in the 71,000-seat stadium would supposedly allow fans to social distance during Falcons' home games, as fans will be required to wear masks in every stadium, no matter the state's policy on face coverings. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Falcons season ticket holders will be limited to two or three of the team's eight home contests. “Is it going to be perfect? Absolutely not," Don Rovak, the Falcons' vice president of sales and service, told the Journal-Constitution. "But I do think we’ll provide a level of care that our (fans) will feel, and we’ll be able to justify it for this point in time.” The policy is wildly divergent from MetLife Stadium's decision to not allow fans at 2020 Giants and Jets home games, "until further notice." For now, the NFL will allow team's to create their own stadium attendance policies. 

SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution 

Jul 22, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

I'm not sure if it's more sad or comical that it took until July 20th for this to be announced. If the "bumbling idiots" shirt fits, maybe goodell and the owners should be wearing one. 

Hats off for finally realizing that preseason football in 2020 is a bad idea, NFL. 

"First TWO WEEKS" of camp. That's rich. 
You act like you know everything that has been and has not been happening behind the scenes. I'm not sure that everything the league has been doing is publicized. 

Specialized NFL face shields designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 won't be mandatory in 2020, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports. 

The league has worked with Oakley to design a helmet shield that would cover a player's entire face mask, and every team "will have them on hand for players to test when they report to camp." Garafolo said the "expectation is that they won't be required" as the NFL grapples with COVID-19 protocols. The NFL and Oakley "are already working on version 2.0" of the face shield, Garafolo reported. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jul 23, 2020, 2:10 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league's owners "continue to push" for reduced 2020-21 salary caps to make up for expected revenue losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The league is intent on spreading out its 2020 losses, something it never does with unexpected gains, of course. This is going to be this summer's biggest flashpoint with the NFLPA, which is willing to take on some of the losses, but wants them spread out over a much longer timeframe. Through 2030, to be exact. Even a modest reduction to the 2020 cap would lead to be a biblical wave of veteran releases. It would be bad for the sport. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 23, 2020, 3:12 PM ET

Washington Post's Mark Maske reports NFL owners may delay the start of training camp until the teams and the NFLPA can agree to the finances.

The beginning of training camp would open the door to injuries and potential locked-in salaries for the 2020 season, something owners don't want until they've ironed out the details of the league's finances. Essentially, the owners want the salary cap to be reduced in 2020 and 2021, while the player's association wants the reduced cap to spread out as long as possible. An immediate reduction of the salary cap would be added chaos during unprecedented times. Hopefully the two parties can agree to finances within the next few days. The players, in particular the rookies, need practice time.

SOURCE: WashingtonPost.com

Jul 23, 2020, 4:30 PM ET

This headline might be slightly misleading.  The GM stated this would be the maximum that could attend at Lambeau using current safety guidelines.  However, there's no current plan to have fans at games.  All Packer tickets are sold via season ticket packages, and I'm not aware of any announcement or plan to allocate games to ticket holders.  It seems crazy to me to open and staff the stadium just to sell 12k tickets.  Its not like the gameday atmosphere is going to be an awesome experience anyway.

Yeah how do you feel with stadiums with PSL in place and then don't let the owners of some PSL in. 

You act like you know everything that has been and has not been happening behind the scenes. I'm not sure that everything the league has been doing is publicized. 
I do? I thought I acted like I was reacting to the first official announcement by the NFL on testing was made on July 20th. And even then it was announced they were going to test for "TWO WEEKS". 

If you have any other official links please post them. It's hard to imagine a ~$15 BILLION industry being run like this, I'll admit. So maybe I'm missing a lot. So if you do know what's going on behind the scenes and it's different than what is being reported I will absolutely believe you.

Washington Post's Mark Maske reports NFL owners may delay the start of training camp until the teams and the NFLPA can agree to the finances.

The beginning of training camp would open the door to injuries and potential locked-in salaries for the 2020 season, something owners don't want until they've ironed out the details of the league's finances. Essentially, the owners want the salary cap to be reduced in 2020 and 2021, while the player's association wants the reduced cap to spread out as long as possible. An immediate reduction of the salary cap would be added chaos during unprecedented times. Hopefully the two parties can agree to finances within the next few days.
I take it all back. The goodell and the owners are doing a great job of handling the pandemic. The people in this thread defending them are spot on.

Why on earth would the players agree to lowering the salary cap in 2020?! That salary cap in 2020 is based on what the league earned in 2019. 

Raiders owner says canceling the entire NFL season is still one of three options the league has for 2020

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-owner-says-canceling-the-entire-nfl-season-is-still-one-of-three-options-the-league-has-for-2020/

When Mark Davis is the smartest guy in the room you know you have a real MENSA group running the league.....

""I don't even know if it's safe to play. 'Uncertainty' is the word," Davis said. "Everything is up in the air with the virus and how it will affect our league and season." 

Sounds reasonable to me. Let's all pitch in and get that guy a $10 haircut!

Yeah how do you feel with stadiums with PSL in place and then don't let the owners of some PSL in. 
I don't feel bad for the poor people that got duped by the Fyre Festival and I don't feel bad for the dopes that made PSL's a thing in the first place.

Honestly, I feel worse for the people that owned or worked at a sports bar across from the stadium than I feel for PSL owners.

while I appreciate the thought pattern, these leagues aren't going to be using THAT many tests when measured against all the tests run in the country, and, speaking personally, I feel like we can use the emotional boost having pro sports happening. 

I still think the better idea would be to isolate as a team and play a somewhat shorter (10 game?) schedule, which would mean fewer tests necessary

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league's owners "continue to push" for reduced 2020-21 salary caps to make up for expected revenue losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The league is intent on spreading out its 2020 losses, something it never does with unexpected gains, of course. This is going to be this summer's biggest flashpoint with the NFLPA, which is willing to take on some of the losses, but wants them spread out over a much longer timeframe. Through 2030, to be exact. Even a modest reduction to the 2020 cap would lead to be a biblical wave of veteran releases. It would be bad for the sport. 

Jul 23, 2020, 3:12 PM ET
Both sides being unreasonable here. Of course players would like to spread it out to 2030....by that point it won't affect even 5% of them! But spreading over just one or two years, especially immediately, would be just as unfair the other direction. Seems there's an easy middle ground...say 6 years with it slightly weighted towards the earlier years

Raiders owner says canceling the entire NFL season is still one of three options the league has for 2020

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-owner-says-canceling-the-entire-nfl-season-is-still-one-of-three-options-the-league-has-for-2020/

When Mark Davis is the smartest guy in the room you know you have a real MENSA group running the league.....

""I don't even know if it's safe to play. 'Uncertainty' is the word," Davis said. "Everything is up in the air with the virus and how it will affect our league and season." 

Sounds reasonable to me. Let's all pitch in and get that guy a $10 haircut!
I didn't think I'd ever say it, but I hope they do cancel the season.  And not just because of covid. I'll leave it at that.

The NFLPA executives unanimously recommended the latest CBA proposal made by the NFL that would allow the 2020 NFL season to move forward as scheduled.

A handful of key issues and questions from the last few weeks have been settled. First, training camp activities will move forward as scheduled on July 28, including on-field practices starting 16 days into camp with the first padded practice scheduled for 21 days into camp. The new agreement guarantees the salary cap will be at least $175 million for the 2021 season. Practice squads will increase to 16 players. There will be two categories for opt-outs: high risk and not. Also, the 2020 season was described as "pay as you go," therefore if the season were to halt entirely, players would not be paid for unplayed games. The 32 team representatives still need to vote on this deal, but it would be shocking if they go against the NFPLA's recommendation.

Jul 24, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

The NFLPA executives unanimously recommended the latest CBA proposal made by the NFL that would allow the 2020 NFL season to move forward as scheduled.

A handful of key issues and questions from the last few weeks have been settled. First, training camp activities will move forward as scheduled on July 28, including on-field practices starting 16 days into camp with the first padded practice scheduled for 21 days into camp. The new agreement guarantees the salary cap will be at least $175 million for the 2021 season. Practice squads will increase to 16 players. There will be two categories for opt-outs: high risk and not. Also, the 2020 season was described as "pay as you go," therefore if the season were to halt entirely, players would not be paid for unplayed games. The 32 team representatives still need to vote on this deal, but it would be shocking if they go against the NFPLA's recommendation.

Jul 24, 2020, 3:16 PM ET
If the salary cap ends up being $175 million next year, there will have to be a lot of contracts renegotiated or deep player cuts. Teams were planning on at least a cap of $198 million (if not higher). How teams account for a loss of $23 million in cap space will be interesting to observe and critique.

As a "for instance," here are the current cap situations as things stand now as far as current cap numbers for 2021 (per Spotrac):

Eagles - $273 million
Saints - $245 million
Falcons - $226 million
Chiefs - $203 million
Texans - $200 million

Philadelphia would have to shed $98 million worth of contracts to make it to $175 million. I can't even imagine how many players would need new deals or be released to get down to $175 million. They have 12 players with $10+ million cap hits for next year.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms the NFL will create a temporary IR spot for players who test positive for COVID-19. 

There will be no minimum or maximum stay, with return "subject to medical clearance." Teams can promote a player from the practice squad to replace any positive player then return them to the taxi squad without subjecting them to waivers. That one could get a little tricky to enforce, but this is the no-brainer approach to dealing with the pandemic. 

Jul 26, 2020, 10:50 AM ET

Browns placed RB Dontrell Hilliard on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Hilliard joins Nigel Warrior (Baltimore), Kendall Futrell (Cincinnati), Jovante Moffatt (Cleveland), Jon'Vea Johnson (Dallas), and Aleva Hifo (Kanas City) as the first players to be placed on the list. This doesn't guarantee that any of the six tested positive, only that they were exposed to the virus. Any player who tests positive or comes into close contact with an infected person is immediately placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Hilliard led the Browns with 421 kickoff return yards in 2019. 

RELATED: 

Aleva Hifo

Jul 26, 2020, 8:11 PM ET

Lot harder to postpone nfl game than mlb game.
I know, that's why I'm wondering what the NFL will do if the virus sweeps through a team and half a roster tests positive on a Friday afternoon.  In MLB there's already a precedent for postponing games (albeit not for this reason), surely the NFL is coming up with some kind of plan to deal with this since it's not as simple to just reschedule.  

Money or no money ... the NFL can't have a season without publicly letting COVID-19 burn through some portion of their rosters and some portion of other connected people (families, coaches, trainers, team staff, etc.). How does the league navigate the "You all are purposefully letting this happen to make a buck" PR hit?

I mean ... I know on the back side of this thing, viewers will come right back to the NFL. But in the immediate term -- don't the powers-that-be have a major image problem as they knowingly accept so much risk for so many people? Yes, yes ... I realize that fans accept concussions, severe musculoskeletal injuries, etc. In the current zeitgeist, however, COVID complications don't seem to fit into the same mental bucket as "ordinary" on-field risks.

I guess let's see if MLB starts having any blowback after half the Marlins team has come down with COVID-19.

In a conversation on the Buccaneers' plans for handling the coronavirus, coach Bruce Arians stated "the players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure.”

“It’s just a matter of how sick they get,” Arians continued. "We’ve got to be careful." This season will be unlike any other. Positive cases will be confirmed, and it appears the NFL will attempt to power through them with a multi-week quarantine for impacted players and staff members - and a larger practice squad to pick replacements from. Arians is a three-time cancer survivor and took measures to aid his health even before this offseason, including riding a golf cart during practice and handing play calling responsibilities to Byron Leftwich. Arians, at 67 years old, is at higher risk than other coaches around the league. As is safeties coach Nick Rapone (64) and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen (64). “It’s the team that adapts and has the most discipline, they’re going to win,” Arians concluded. This level of honesty is appreciated, but also chilling.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Jul 27, 2020, 3:22 PM ET

This one is just kind of crazy to me. If everyone really thinks that every player is going to get it, then they are absolutely reckless having this season. What if 43 year old Tom Brady gets it and ends up on a ventilator?  Can you imagine the fallout?

This one is just kind of crazy to me. If everyone really thinks that every player is going to get it, then they are absolutely reckless having this season. What if 43 year old Tom Brady gets it and ends up on a ventilator?  Can you imagine the fallout?
That's the thing -- it seems that many feel deep down that "It's OK so long as nobody dies."

Really? Is that what this has come to? And again -- I know, I know ... concussions, pain-pill addiction, intentional head shots, musculoskeletal injuries ... yes, much harm has been accepted in the past, even the recent past. Still, that acceptance doesn't mean that there never will be a future point where the league pushes players over a cliff.

According to the NFLPA, 107 players tested positive for COVID-19 during the NFL offseason and 21 players have tested positive since players began reporting to training camp. 

The NFLPA's update on COVID-19 cases comes as bigger and bigger names opt out of the 2020 season, including Patrick Chung, Dont'a Hightower, and Marcus Cannon of the Patriots. Today's COVID-19 update could look tame compared to what's coming. 

SOURCE: NFLPA

Jul 28, 2020, 11:50 AM ET

Just heard on the radio MLB is rescheduling teams due to play the Marlins and are selecting other opponents instead.  In the short term, the Marlins are basically out of the picture for the immediate future. No discussion on how Miami will make up those games. 

Users who are viewing this thread