What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do if you woke up tomorrow with a fever? (1 Viewer)

zftcg

Footballguy
I know there are a ton of coronavirus threads, but this is a specific question that I've been wondering about for the past couple days and realized I had no answer to.

Fortunately, Chris Hayes did a very useful segment on tonight's show with an ER doctor. TLDR: depending on the severity of your symptoms and your risk profile, there are a range of actions -- from riding it out at home to calling 911 -- that you should take. No matter what, physically separate yourself from others in your home and rely on telemedicine if you can.

Speaking of which, I have no connections to this company and can't vouch for them, but a friend posted this link on Facebook. If you do actually wake up sick tomorrow and have no idea what to do, you might want to give them a try: https://www.khealth.ai

Whatever your answer to the question is, it's a good idea to start thinking about it and making plans. There's a decent chance that this may happen to you or someone in your family in the coming days.

For most of us, that's probably the right answer, unless we're immunocompromised.
Interestingly enough I take Imuran (an immunosuppressant) daily for my crohns.  But other than that, I’m healthy and young enough where is not a concern to me (from purely a health standpoint)

I would first go to the grocery store. Then the liquor store. Then stop at my sons school to say goodbye to him. Then probably finish my day at the bar since obviously if i woke up with a fever i am going to die in two weeks. 

Dont worry, i will wear a mask and gloves. 
Joke's on you.  Grocery store is empty and the liquor store is moving in that direction.  

Interestingly enough I take Imuran (an immunosuppressant) daily for my crohns.  But other than that, I’m healthy and young enough where is not a concern to me (from purely a health standpoint)
One thing that occurred to me: Even if you do get sick, as long as you physically separate yourself, the risk is mostly on you, not on society as a whole. That is, if you're immunocompromised, you should seek treatment to save yourself, not because of any broader societal benefit (other than the societal benefit of you staying alive).

The one exception to that: if you do have COVID19, there is a societal interest in knowing that, recording it and tracking the disease. But otherwise, your main focus should be on your own recovery.

I've been monitoring my temperature, because I was in six airports and on one cruise ship in the last week or so.  Last night, it suddenly shot up a few degrees - still not at 100.4 because my usual temp is low, but up almost three degrees from the morning (I had checked because I started to feel feverish).  I also had a sore throat.  My decision was to wait until morning to see how things looked.  By this morning, everything was back to normal and has stayed there.  :shrug:  

One thing that occurred to me: Even if you do get sick, as long as you physically separate yourself, the risk is mostly on you, not on society as a whole. That is, if you're immunocompromised, you should seek treatment to save yourself, not because of any broader societal benefit (other than the societal benefit of you staying alive).

The one exception to that: if you do have COVID19, there is a societal interest in knowing that, recording it and tracking the disease. But otherwise, your main focus should be on your own recovery.
If I get a fever, lock myself in my room and then die, I will definitely make sure to inform my wife (on day 1) to report it (so that I'm counted as a case).  Not meant to be a joke BTW.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been monitoring my temperature, because I was in six airports and on one cruise ship in the last week or so.  Last night, it suddenly shot up a few degrees - still not at 100.4 because my usual temp is low, but up almost three degrees from the morning (I had checked because I started to feel feverish).  I also had a sore throat.  My decision was to wait until morning to see how things looked.  By this morning, everything was back to normal and has stayed there.  :shrug:  
You beat it!  :hifive:    ETA:  knocks on wood.

Also, my normal temp is something like 97.4  :hifive:  

Glad to hear. Stay safe (and please stay away from any more airports and cruise ships for the next few weeks!)

WDIK2 said:
You beat it!  :hifive:    ETA:  knocks on wood.

Also, my normal temp is something like 97.4  :hifive:  

zftcg said:
Glad to hear. Stay safe (and please stay away from any more airports and cruise ships for the next few weeks!)
Thanks, guys!  I am definitely staying away from cruise ships for the time being!  I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by waiting to freak out, but it looks like it was fine.

zftcg said:

According to this Twitter thread by a NYC councilman, I was wrong on that last point: the system will be so overloaded they will not need to track every COVID19 case. If you can ride it out while isolated at home, you should do so regardless of whether it’s coronavirus, influenza or something else. You may never even know which it was. 

Call in sick to work, and try to feel better. I mean, I'm doubtful it would be anything beyond a cold, since my current job is doing contract work in a retirement community, and they're not messing around with checking guests out, but I'd be careful. If anything, it would be strep, since my son got it and got medicine for it.

if above 101 / call my doctor. be told to go the hospital , pack up my switch, tablet and head to hospital 

krista4 said:
Great news. Glad you're feeling better. 

Not always coronavirus, fyi. Still lots of flu going around. I just got over Flu A.
Yes this is a huge part of the dilemma. Everyone with a booger in their nose is going to be worried that they have coronavirus. But it sounds like at this point, it doesn’t really matter what virus you have. The severity of the symptoms and your risk profile should determine whether you go to the hospital

krista4 said:
The average human temperature has been decreasing for decades:

In the US, the normal, oral temperature of adults is, on average, lower than the canonical 37 ̊C established in the 19th century. We postulated that body temperature has decreased over time. Using measurements from three cohorts—the Union Army Veterans of the Civil War (N = 23,710; measurement years 1860–1940), the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey I (N = 15,301; 1971–1975), and the Stanford Translational Research Integrated Database Environment (N = 150,280; 2007–2017)—we determined that mean body temperature in men and women, after adjusting for age, height, weight and, in some models date and time of day, has decreased monotonically by 0.03 ̊C per birth decade. A similar decline within the Union Army cohort as between cohorts, makes measurement error an unlikely explanation. This substantive and continuing shift in body temperature—a marker for metabolic rate—provides a framework for understanding changes in human health and longevity over 157 years.

I don't actually own a thermometer. However, we will start monitoring at work next week which will be announced this afternoon in a company meeting. Those with elevated temps will need to follow a protocol. 

fred_1_15301 said:
Stay home and lock myself in the guest room for 2 weeks.  I would have my wife drop off food by the door occasionally.  Kids are off limits
Something like this.   Crawl into bed.  Try to stay away from everyone.   

Yes this is a huge part of the dilemma. Everyone with a booger in their nose is going to be worried that they have coronavirus. But it sounds like at this point, it doesn’t really matter what virus you have. The severity of the symptoms and your risk profile should determine whether you go to the hospital
I don't get this.

What do you do if you have a cold/flu? Go home, take care of yourself.

What do you do if you have coronavirus? Go home, take care of yourself.

I don't get this.

What do you do if you have a cold/flu? Go home, take care of yourself.

What do you do if you have coronavirus? Go home, take care of yourself.
Right, unless your symptoms are so severe that they require hospitalization. That could happen as a result of the flu, but it's statistically more likely to happen if you have coronavirus.

Right, unless your symptoms are so severe that they require hospitalization. That could happen as a result of the flu, but it's statistically more likely to happen if you have coronavirus.
So go to the hospital, like you would if you had the flu and developed these symptoms.  I am impressed and amazed you have the statistics on a months old virus that largely isn't being tested for.

fred_1_15301 said:
Stay home and lock myself in the guest room for 2 weeks.  I would have my wife drop off food by the door occasionally.  Kids are off limits
Basically, this. I would live in my basement. It's got a full bath, couches, TV, blu rays, fridge, workout equipment, bar, etc. My wife could toss down clothes, food and beverages to me. 

So go to the hospital, like you would if you had the flu and developed these symptoms.  I am impressed and amazed you have the statistics on a months old virus that largely isn't being tested for.
Do I have statistical tables? No. Does everything we know about coronavirus point to it having a higher mortality rate? Yes. 

Anyway, not sure what we're arguing about. I said in my original post that it doesn't really matter what you have, the response is likely to be the same and depend on the severity of your symptoms.

I'd take advantage of the fact that the freeways are relatively empty and drive like I was in a Nascar race. If I got pulled over, I'd pull a Tommy Boy and run out of my car screaming "coronavirus!!!!". 

fred_1_15301 said:
By the time you show symptoms, guarantee it's already spread to the wife and kids. If it's COVID that is.

Users who are viewing this thread