What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 IDP Offseason Thread (1 week to gametime!) (1 Viewer)

Didnt Chandler spend most of his time on the left last year?
Roughly even split between right and left. He played strong side so Suggs could play week side. When Suggs was cut, Jones moved weak side, and Reddick platooned with the immortal Cassius Marsh on the strong side. Laughably big hole there, hence Devon kennard.

Hey everyone! 

I'm just getting into IDP this year and I was wondering the best way to get league specific scoring/ projections so I can great a pre-draft cheat sheet? 

Any help greatly appreciated! 

Hey everyone! 

I'm just getting into IDP this year and I was wondering the best way to get league specific scoring/ projections so I can great a pre-draft cheat sheet? 

The first step is always the league history. I know MFL has the league scoring system build in a way that lets you look at a few years even in newer leagues. Projections are there, too, filtering in from FSharks. There are pay sites that let you enter your rosters, which is a nice feature but not one I pay for. I actually forked over $10 in Draftkings to get a "free" DLF membership a week ago and am already glad I didn't fork over a full membership. MyFBG (especially 10 second primer) was awesome when I used it that one year... nice way to load in your rosters and see all teams in one place. 

Welcome! 

Rams took Burgess last night. 

We now have an issue at Safety with Johnson, Rapp, and Burgess. Someone will be the odd man out. 

Hey everyone! 

Big offseason hole on the innerwebs.  You can find some rankings, but projections are hard to find.  There’s another thread in here called Offseason Dynasty Rankings where people post links to rankings they find.  In the next couple of weeks, projections will probably pop up.

I’m working on a rookie draft list.

I have Young, Queen, and Murray at 19-21, Brooks and Gay at 26-27, then Chaisson, Gross-Matos, Wilson, Epenesa, Harrison, and Muse at 39-44.  44 is the cliff for me at this point.

I understand that many will have Young around 12, I just can’t take him over my top 18 offensive players.

I like the way you're thinking, Tick. I'm just starting to think about my ranks. I think I'll have Young at #21. That's not an indictment on him or the class; I just can't pass up the depth and upside of the WRs.

FYI on Jonathan Allen, DE WAS - latest blurb has him potentially playing as DT in the new 4-3 scheme. Thoughts on this? He is listed as DT on FSharks already, which seems like a clear case for him being re-designated on MFL.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=11900
That's why I wasn't worried about 2020 Montez Sweat. I'm sure he'll play some outside since Rivera runs multiple fronts, but I expect his % inside to exceed out.

After 2 straight years of giving snaps to anyone with a warm body, the Bengals defense sure got crowded fast this offseason.

There are a couple routes they could go as their base defense or they could just be all over the place and cost a bunch of guys snaps.

Shawn Williams has put up good numbers and been a solid starter, but he's definitely worse than Jesse Bates and Von Bell just got paid decent money to sign.  They could go big nickel and try to play all 3 a bunch of snaps.  Alexander was signed specifically to be a nickel/slot corner.  In the past, the Bengals have prioritized this position and at times used their best corner there and played a ton.  I expect it to be very rare they use 3 LBs and Pratt was sniffing an every down role at the end of last season.  That would probably leave Bynes on run downs and Wilson on pass downs until its at least obvious Wilson is the better player than one of Pratt/Bynes on first down.

For fantasy, this might all be a mess, but the upside for Wilson's tackles is high if he can get on the field.

After 2 straight years of giving snaps to anyone with a warm body, the Bengals defense sure got crowded fast this offseason.

There are a couple routes they could go as their base defense or they could just be all over the place and cost a bunch of guys snaps.

Shawn Williams has put up good numbers and been a solid starter, but he's definitely worse than Jesse Bates and Von Bell just got paid decent money to sign.  They could go big nickel and try to play all 3 a bunch of snaps.  Alexander was signed specifically to be a nickel/slot corner.  In the past, the Bengals have prioritized this position and at times used their best corner there and played a ton.  I expect it to be very rare they use 3 LBs and Pratt was sniffing an every down role at the end of last season.  That would probably leave Bynes on run downs and Wilson on pass downs until its at least obvious Wilson is the better player than one of Pratt/Bynes on first down.

For fantasy, this might all be a mess, but the upside for Wilson's tackles is high if he can get on the field.
Good summary, but I think the Bengals have made it clear where they want to be sometime between the back half of 2020 and the beginning of 2021 - Wilson, Vonn, and Pratt are the guys (in that order). 

MAC_32 said:
Good summary, but I think the Bengals have made it clear where they want to be sometime between the back half of 2020 and the beginning of 2021 - Wilson, Vonn, and Pratt are the guys (in that order). 
If that is right (and we're mostly on the same page), Shawn Williams has a big problem.  He's currently being ranked the #13 idp safety here on fbg. 

If that is right (and we're mostly on the same page), Shawn Williams has a big problem.  He's currently being ranked the #13 idp safety here on fbg. 
Williams is ranked 5th among safeties on Fsharks (Bell @ 23 and Bates @ 28) and 14 on DLF (Bell @ 11 and Bates @ 31) which seems very odd considering ARZ is the only team I've ever seen finish a season with 3 S ranked that highly for one team in a season. That lasted 1 season while the Cards LB situation was terrible. Sure, the game is changing, but I see (and read about) Williams being the odd man out. From what I could glean, Williams benefited from work as a LB last year so maybe he can still produce if he's a nickle/dime LB. 

Seems like a situation where the incumbents get the nod early with the lack of off/pre season work due to covid. Still, I'm getting rid of Williams fast where possible and even dropped him in a league where I picked up an orphan and traded/purged older players. He was picked up right away... guess I missed that trade opportunity.

Not sure if FA was your intent here as well but Christian Kirksey signed with the Packers:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106328/article/packers-signing-lb-christian-kirksey-to-16m-contract

Be interesting to see if he can stay healthy and if so can he be the same type of tackling machine that Martinez was. Reunites with his former Browns HC who is DC for Packers as well...
Just saw this article about a backup LB in GB realizing they lost Martinez and wondering who was slotted to replace him then remembered it was Kirksey who is simply not durable.  Have to watch those backups who could suddenly find themselves being thrust into a starting role once Christian goes down and I don't want to jinx Kirksey but he seems to always get injured so file this guy's name away.

Packers linebacker Ty Summers' full offseason has him ready to compete

Not me. If you can get him for next to nothing right now and you have the bench spot - you do it and don’t think twice. He doesn’t need to stay healthy all year to be an asset. Hopefully high snap counts some solid tackle numbers through 2-3 weeks and trade him for at least more than the nothing you got him for (if you don’t like him as a long term play).

In theory I kind of agree but I'd say the signing of Bradham and the presence of Baun (who I think will play right away in some capacity) makes it a bit less clear than you'd like. 

In theory I kind of agree but I'd say the signing of Bradham and the presence of Baun (who I think will play right away in some capacity) makes it a bit less clear than you'd like. 
Curious as to why you think Baun will play right away. He's a third round pick with no real off-season on a team that has Davis, Alonso, Anzalone and now Bradham. Unless forced into playing time because of injury, a real possibility, I see him as Davis' eventual replacement.

Curious as to why you think Baun will play right away. He's a third round pick with no real off-season on a team that has Davis, Alonso, Anzalone and now Bradham. Unless forced into playing time because of injury, a real possibility, I see him as Davis' eventual replacement.
I can't point to anything specifically, but I've read a number of post-draft articles from beat writers etc (possibly fluff) that suggest they are really high on him and will look to get him involved early. A third round pick is a decent investment too, since I believe they traded up to get him and likely graded him higher.

What that looks like I don't know - if you're saying, he's not going to be a full-time player, then I agree. But he has the ability to rush the passer and potentially play inside, and I believe they are wanting to move him around (see Joe Schobert who came into the league as more of an OLB for a comparison). I was thinking at a minimum, they'd play him at SLB and maybe he'd be the Klein replacement as far as number of snaps. I see his future at ILB, but I think this year his role might be more limited - still, depending on league depth, perhaps a LB4 type with upside is a decent flier to take. 

As far as his competition, Alonso and Anzalone have trouble staying on the field. If Anzalone plays a lot this season, then for sure that limits Baun's upside. I think Bradham complicates it a bit but maybe he's just a one year depth piece. It's possible he's more of a liability these days. 

Re Baun, clearly the NFL doesn't agree but the draftnik community saw him as an early day 2/potential round 1 talent. 

Everson Griffen signs with Cowboys for one year, $6 million. Two things: I wonder what this does for Clowney's market? I also wonder if this will further cement Ifeadi Odenigbo to the fore in MN at DE... (The concern was always that Griffen was coming back, I think.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Everson Griffen signs with Cowboys for one year, $6 million. Two things: I wonder what this does for Clowney's market? I also wonder if this will further cement Ifeadi Odenigbo to the fore in MN at DE... (The concern was always that Griffen was coming back, I think.)
Seattle was bidding on Griffen from what I read, so maybe Clowney is now more likely to return there.  I agree that this helps Odenigbo.  It cuts off that slight Aldon Smith hope, but nobody invested anything more than 1 FAB in him.  This signing probably helped a lot of fantasy rosters.

Seattle was bidding on Griffen from what I read
Sounds like Seattle was, as were the Vikings. Good thing for me, as I roster Ifeadi.

As for Clowney, weren't they sort of moving him around the line in SEA? I read that somewhere (maybe PFF). They weren't really using him as a pin-back-your-ears rusher on the end, but instead found he was so versatile that they could play him in a number of positions, not all of which was great for FF. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the "Anzalone is fool's gold" camp. He's worth a roster spot in deep rosters if there's room but I'm not going crazy making space. Baun is worth a spot but also only in deeper leagues where you can wait through camp/pre-season to see if he'll get meaningful snaps this year. NOLA has been on the dart-throw list for years now at LB. I'm looking elsewhere for my stashes, at this point.

Agree with the thoughts on Griffin to DAL. Great for Odenigbo and a serious hit to any chance Smith had at relevance, especially since Lawrence showed up to camp. 

I've been digging into the Saints defense a bit lately. I guess I just assumed the SLB would have done the most pass-rushing. Cuz, ya know, SAM. So I figured that was Baun's fit. But in fact, Demario Davis blitzes from the weak edge a good bit. Makes me wonder if Baun is Davis's eventual replacement. In the short-term, with Davis playing so well, I wouldn't think they want to move him off WLB. Maybe Klein wasn't rushing because he's AJ Klein? Maybe the Saints will blitz LBs off both/either edge this year? At any rate, Klein had a tackles/opportunity ratio of 8% on something like 850 snaps, so that role isn't going to be useful for fantasy at any rate.

I haven't updated my notes since May, but at that time Baun was the only Saint under contract beyond 2020. So he absolutely could be the Davis replacement. 

I haven't updated my notes since May, but at that time Baun was the only Saint under contract beyond 2020. So he absolutely could be the Davis replacement. 
Darnit, I can't find the source right now, but I read an article just before a site went pay this offseason, and it was looking at some teams' contract situations to see where there were some possible stashes for next season.  It looked like there were more to come behind the paywall for the rest of the teams, but I can't remember where I ran into the article.  I try to keep a list of guys to pick up late in the season if they're on waiver wires.  I took these notes:

• Justin Strnad DEN LB.  AJ Johnson and Todd Davis expiring contracts.
  • Ashtyn Davis NYJ S
  • Brandon Jones MIA S
  • Terrell Burgess LAR S (JJohnson final year)
  • Uchenna Nwosu KCC DE

Darnit, I can't find the source right now, but I read an article just before a site went pay this offseason, and it was looking at some teams' contract situations to see where there were some possible stashes for next season.  It looked like there were more to come behind the paywall for the rest of the teams, but I can't remember where I ran into the article.  I try to keep a list of guys to pick up late in the season if they're on waiver wires.  I took these notes:

• Justin Strnad DEN LB.  AJ Johnson and Todd Davis expiring contracts.
  • Ashtyn Davis NYJ S
  • Brandon Jones MIA S
  • Terrell Burgess LAR S (JJohnson final year)
  • Uchenna Nwosu KCC DE
On a personal note, I watched highlights of Strnad at WF and stashed him a month ago -- but we don't have taxi squads and I'm going to have to cut to get down to fifty-one from sixty right now. I'll post over in my thread when camp is done and hopefully people will weigh in on the matter. 

On a personal note, I watched highlights of Strnad at WF and stashed him a month ago -- but we don't have taxi squads and I'm going to have to cut to get down to fifty-one from sixty right now. I'll post over in my thread when camp is done and hopefully people will weigh in on the matter. 
Given the state of your team 2021 is the priority, so I would be sure to keep room for a stash like Strnad. He was on each of my lists in May, but ultimately I didn't pick him because he wasn't a good fit on my teams. My teams have different priorities right now than yours though. If I were rebuilding then I wouldn't have used a late rounder on Carlos Hyde or Bradley Mcdougald; I'd use them on young guys that have a path to starting next year, like Strnad.

Given the state of your team 2021 is the priority, so I would be sure to keep room for a stash like Strnad. He was on each of my lists in May, but ultimately I didn't pick him because he wasn't a good fit on my teams. My teams have different priorities right now than yours though. If I were rebuilding then I wouldn't have used a late rounder on Carlos Hyde or Bradley Mcdougald; I'd use them on young guys that have a path to starting next year, like Strnad.
Thanks for the input. Guys like Taylor and Strnad (definitely Taylor) are guys I'm really leaning towards keeping for that exact reason. I'll put the list over there when camp shakes out.

Takitaki the big winner here? This LB Corp is weak so they may try to add a veteran name.
On a related note, watch for Avery Williamson to potentially get cut and wind up somewhere. He's a big cap savings this year for the Jets if they go their other linebackers, none of whom have the pedigree of Williamson, but who also work for proverbial peanuts for a pro athlete.

On a related note, watch for Avery Williamson to potentially get cut and wind up somewhere. He's a big cap savings this year for the Jets if they go their other linebackers, none of whom have the pedigree of Williamson, but who also work for proverbial peanuts for a pro athlete.
I could be wrong, but I think with the loss of Mosley the Jets might value Williamson in that middle more than they otherwise might have. If he’s physically able I think they’d welcome his presence on this defense.

I could be wrong, but I think with the loss of Mosley the Jets might value Williamson in that middle more than they otherwise might have. If he’s physically able I think they’d welcome his presence on this defense.
I don't think you're wrong. One article reads thusly: "As the 28-year-old languished on the sideline, the Jets bolstered their inside linebacker depth, rendering him an inevitable salary cap casualty at some point this offseason until C.J. Mosley decided to opt-out of the 2020 season." The loss of Mosley definitely makes him less of a cut candidate, which insiders thought was pretty certain to happen. I'd watch, though. The Jets have Burgess, Cashman, and Onwuasor also to fill in if need be at the ILB position. I think before Mosley's leaving, Williamson was slated to start at weak side linebacker anyway, according to depth charts. But it would probably behoove a person to watch his status while cuts are made.

Takitaki the big winner here? This LB Corp is weak so they may try to add a veteran name.
We'll see if any vets are brought in, but I think nickel is the base and Goodson may be a thorn in the side of both Takitaki and Phillips. If either of the young guys get an 80-90+% role then I think they either need one more injury or they just earned it on their own. Til then Karl Joseph is the leader in the clubhouse.

Hey Everyone- thoughts on a few LB’s - I’ve seen these guys get drafted all over the place cant figure out Dynasty value for them 

K Murray- 

D Taylor- 

L Wilson -

Hey Everyone- thoughts on a few LB’s - I’ve seen these guys get drafted all over the place cant figure out Dynasty value for them 

K Murray- 

D Taylor- 

L Wilson -
Opinions seem to be all over the place.  Murray is in the best situation and is a first rounder.  I'd rank him first.  Wilson has a good situation, since Pratt hasn't really proven himself and everyone else is a worse rookie.  Taylor has all the skills, particularly cover skills, but has no short-term opportunity.  He's all but guaranteed to be their main LB next season, though - Philly is way over the cap before Covid, and the cap might be 40M less now.  They'll need as many on rookie contracts as possible.

Good point on cap room in Philly- never think about that. Loved Taylors tape at Colorado. 

No concerns about Vigil or Tranquil eating into Murray’s  production?

Thoughts on Barton and Brooks in Sea- Wagner takes a licking but keeps on ticking(under contract til ‘23) and Wright is 31 and in contract year(I believe)

Browns added Malcolm Smith. This is a good thing though. He's adept at all 3 spots, but not good enough to start. His role is an all purpose contingency plan should one of the others suck or get injured. 

Users who are viewing this thread