What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your overall mood? (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
This feels like a very different and strange time.  This feels unlike anything I can think of that I've ever experienced.  The closest I can compare it to is growing up in Florida and the feeling you'd get when a hurricane was coming.  But even that still felt different.

To be clear, I'm not worried or anxious.  I'm not sad.  It's almost a combination of a heightened sense of "something is coming" along with a relaxed state of "get used to this".  I don't even know how to describe it but there's just this pervasive presence in the back of my mind of something constantly over the last few days since things have taken a turn over here in the US.  I feel like we're going to come out of this very different on the other side whenever that ends up being.

Everyone processes these things differently.  I know some of you don't really care and are annoyed by the inconvenience of what's going on.  I know some are more worried/concerned than others (likely with reason to be due to personal illnesses or at-risk family/friends). 

Feel free to just write or vent here about how you're doing with this uncharted territory we're in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This feels like a very different and strange time.  This feels unlike anything I can think of that I've ever experienced.  The closest I can compare it to is growing up in Florida and the feeling you'd get when a hurricane was coming.  But even that still felt different.

To be clear, I'm not worried or anxious.  I'm not sad.  It's almost a combination of a heightened sense of "something is coming" along with a relaxed state of "get used to this".  I don't even know how to describe it but there's just this pervasive presence in the back of my mine constantly over the last few days since things have taken a turn over here in the US.  I feel like we're going to come out of this very different on the other side whenever that ends up being.

Everyone processes these things differently.  I know some of you don't really care and are annoyed by the inconvenience of what's going on.  I know some are more worried/concerned than others (likely with reason to be due to personal illnesses or at-risk family/friends). 

Feel free to just write or vent here about how you're doing with this uncharted territory we're in.
Yeah, it’s been a surreal week. Each day a little crazier than the previous one.

I was supposed to go to an event last night but opted to just watch the live stream.

Today was pretty much a typical, normal Saturday. Woke up early, went to the an East Village soup kitchen. We normally serve 700-800, all you can eat meal; today it was 390. Today we didn’t set up tables, just in and out with a to-go brown bag breakfast. Gave away enough dry goods for 9 meals each but no produce today. Required everyone to wear gloves (instead of just kitchen & food service volunteers), masks were optional.

Afterwards, went out for lunch with a couple friends. Rode home on a mostly empty train.

I’m optimistic. This is a very serious thing and we really don’t know what the next month or two will bring. But it’ll get better at some point.

Worried about how people will respond when things actually get crazier over the next few weeks

Sad/bummed/annoyed that my routine activities like basketball will be curtailed for awhile

Eager to spend more time at home with my kids for a few weeks 

Super happy that I won’t have to see my boss for the next 4-6 weeks.  She’s the worst part of my job, but she’s quarantined 500 miles away thankfully

It feels like hurricane prep here in FL(complete with a few people fighting the urge to put up shutters), but honestly the worst part for me is not being able to watch/listen to sports. I didn't realize how much of my attention was devoted to them.

It feels like hurricane prep here in FL(complete with a few people fighting the urge to put up shutters), but honestly the worst part for me is not being able to watch/listen to sports. I didn't realize how much of my attention was devoted to them.
:goodposting:  I hear ya. The prep is early this year, but feels the same. 

Kind of weird. On one hand, it’s so relaxing knowing I have virtually no commitments for a month. Also, I went to the store today to pick up a couple essentials and I felt paranoid about everything I was touching (no way am I using cash, talk about disgusting and it’s never bothered me before). I think I am going to enjoy this month but in the back of my head I’m also worried that it could bring incredible hardship for a lot of others. It’s strange.

Uncertain
I feel the same way.

I really have not been able to wrap my head around everything that is going on.  It feels a little surreal.  Some moments and I think this all much ado about nothing.  Some moments when I fear we are entering a very rough patch - across the board.  

Normally, I like to think I have a pretty good read on life, and the world around me, but now nothing feels certain.

I think it just feels surreal.  Uncertainty mentioned before is a good description.

Even with our state of emergency, closed schools, mandated WFH, it still doesnt quite feel real.

I have decided that I am going to self quarantine myself for 2 weeks. What is bothering me is that my Biology teacher wife thinks I am over reacting. Just today she went to BJs and her brothers house for my nephews birthday. She brought both kids with her. 

My wife and I very rarely fignt or even have differing opinions on many things but this is one. My 13 year old daughter who yells at me all the time anyway now yells at me bc she is projecting my wifes attitude towards my "over reaction"

So they will be out and about bringing in stuff from the outside. Why everyone cant stay home for a few weeks to flatten the curve is beyond me. (That is pertaining to my family)

You hear so much about stupid people doing reckless things like taking flights knowing they are positive and I dont want to be anywhere outside of my house right now. 

I feel like I'm in that part of the movie we're the wife and kids are having breakfast. I'm flying out the door to get to work. Giving kisses to the kids and joking about them not having any school cause of the virus while. In the background the TV is saying how the pandemic is closing countries and supplies are out elsewhere.

As I drive to work it seems everything is fine, until I see a slight traffic jam and then notice 2 guys are robbing a lady for her groceries....i think to stop but it's a rough part of town so I call 911 as I drive away...but its busy.

I see and abandoned car in the middle of the road with a guy caughing 3' away on 1 knee...feeling more anxious I keep going to work. I'm in a better part of town and I see a nice supermarket being looted. I drive off to work thinking this is nuts. 

I walk into my office and my coworker says, did you hear about Karen???? What? No...she died of the coronavirus last night? Half the office is not in and Frank is wheezing in the break room.....and collapses.  People freeze as they want to help but are afraid of contamination. 

I call my wife to check in and make sure she is ok and I notice I have 17 missed calls from her. Crap I forgot to take it off silence! 

I immediately call back and "all circuits are busy, please try again later"

:cueintensemusic:

I’m chillin drinking a nice Hefeweizen on the water in Melbourne, FL. Driving back to Tampa in  the morning the long way (i.e. not through Orlando) so all good for now 

we may have a few hundred miles of rough road ahead of us, and there will be some unique challenges and sacrifices, but I truly believe we will come out of this in a few months better than we are today....  

but just in case I stocked up on booze :banned:

stay heathy everyone!

Reminds me of after the lights went off for Sandy, but before the water started rising. It is a unique experience and one that (hopefully) none of us will go through again in our lives. But it's momentous and scary.

I feel the same way.

I really have not been able to wrap my head around everything that is going on.  It feels a little surreal.  Some moments and I think this all much ado about nothing.  Some moments when I fear we are entering a very rough patch - across the board.  

Normally, I like to think I have a pretty good read on life, and the world around me, but now nothing feels certain.
Yea, this is how I feel - one minute, all is going to be fine, the next "geez, is the life we had coming to an end"? 

It feels weird because we all know, deep down, that major "stay home" measures cannot be sustained for very long. The economy as we know it will collapse.

There are of course far more important societal worries, but from my own psyche POV I’m most worried about being holed up w wife, kids & MIL and not having any alone time for an extended period. That’s got me really anxious, no shtick. Last two days I’ve been finding random reasons to go down to the basement and just chilling by myself for a bit. Then cleaned the #### out of the garage for two hours today (looks awesome btw). Desperately seeking activities that buy me some solo time, eventually gonna run out of ideas.

Honestly, overwhelmed - I just bought a house, packing, just spent a lot of money on that and some new furniture.  401k looks bleak in the moment.  Office is closed a month so will be working remotely.  Four kids and a wife that depend on me financially.  Oldest two work so they can’t quarantine themselves or will have to quit.  I have no clue how we should be reacting to this.

But you know what - life is good, really good.  I’m so blessed.  I make unbelievable money, awesome wife who I have a great relationship with, four healthy well-adjusted kids who are growing to be good productive citizens.  I ultimately have no complaints - all my problems are first-world problems.  When I focus on that my mood is contentment.

I'm avoiding shaking hands but did go down and raw dogged a chick I met in bar last night.

So I feel like this: :oldunsure:
I've been wondering how this thing will play out with single people. Figure it would be a good opportunity for the "let's have risky end of civilization sechs" I've been wanting to try my whole life like I'm in some kind of movie.

I'm not really going to be annoyed by confining myself primarily to my home, yard, and nearby park....or really get tired of it for a while.

I do worry how deep this is going to get, because it could get ugly/violent in extreme cases.

Balanced

Aware, ready, but not doing anything crazy. Ran a few errands this morning in PDX even stopped for my usual coffee and got a peach pie for 3.14 day. Snuck over to the trails to see the snow on the pine trees, first time it’s snowed all year. Now hunkered down for the rest of the weekend, but might venture out if I get stir crazy. Living alone makes this easier in some ways and harder in others.

It was a bad month to quit smoking weed in order to be clean to sign up to get my CDL license after getting laid off back on 11/1. On the other hand, only about 55% through my severance package so that's nice.

As a jayhawk I'm used to heading into March excited and with high hopes, just to have them crushed. 

Just didn't expect it to be by a virus. 

I will be honest, I haven't felt such a mix of emotions in a long time.  Mostly it depends where I am.   I home I am pretty calm because I have control over what we are doing and I am trying to limit my exposure to what I going on out there.  

At work I was a ball of anger, and same when I am out and about.   Out there, I get a full dose of how not seriously people are taking this.   We were busier than normal on Friday as buses came through with teams from Ohio and people traveling all over.  I had no plan of what we are doing if there is a positive test from employees.  I work with people who think it's a hoax or overblown.  

I think people around here are in that midset of "well, there's only a couple cases in WI" so we are somehow safer than others.  Probably the way that NY and other places felt a bit ago and thought it was just a China or Italy problem.   Nevermind that the positive tests in that town 10mins away went from 1 to 6 to 10 in a couple days or that in 2 days I served people from Ohio, Tenn, California, Colorado, North Carolina, and NY (that I know of).  

bouncing back and forth between "confident this will pass" and very highly concerned. 

Normally I dont get caught up in this type of thing...but the national shutdown of everything I thought was impervious (disney, colleges, sports) scares the hell out of me and gives me a feeling this is much bigger then we think.

My wife and daughter are immune compromised and sometimes I feel like we've generally avoided any major scares, but I also know that you can only roll the dice too many times before snake eyes comes up.

I am really only a year into my own business and while I have not technically lost any business yet, a prolonged state of emergency will be very difficult on business.

We are days away from committing a lot of personal money into our backyard with an in-ground pool and a ton of new retaining walls and such, something we have been working towards for 2+ years. Right now we need to get on wit the transaction if we want  be swimming by summer, and in NY thats all we get. So if we miss this window, its a whole year gone. I'm just now jumpy to commit to such an expensive project while we wait to see how long this stretches and what the actual economic impact is on my family. I know this project may sound trivial but its those things that you've been promising your family and everyone is excited and I would feel like I'm letting them down. 

We as a society have never been more prepared for a social distancing than we are now. This is our wheelhouse, we can crush this. Spotify, Netflix, HBO, XBox, Twitter and so on. We are fully armed to disengage and I just hope people commit to it. 

More worried about the effects this will have on my job then I personally am about the virus. My work revolves around social gatherings (weddings and events). I have 10 teams to lead so I’m doing that and doing my best to provide cool, calm and rational leadership but I’m honestly pretty scared.  As a company we were headed for a record year and just 2 weeks ago I was as positive and excited as I’ve ever been about work and the future.  That all seems like a lifetime ago now.  

I've followed this outbreak very closely since China locked down Wuhan -- that was a sign that this one was different.  Everything has played out more or less like I thought it probably would.  My family and I can go to the store with minimal risk, but we're well-stocked enough that we don't need to.  I've been mentally preparing for how to work from home for a while now. My daughter is going to be very disappointed when her HS graduation gets cancelled, but that's not a totally sure thing yet so I'm just keeping it to myself.

The next couple of months are going to be very weird, but we'll be fine.  This will pass.  I was here for 9/11 and that was totally different.  One minute you're scouring the waiver wire to find some way to rip off your league's Ed McCaffrey owner, and 45 minutes later its WWIII.  Covid-19 will result in more deaths and will have more of a disruption to everyday life than 9/11, but it also figures to be over in a matter of months, at which point life returns to normal.

bouncing back and forth between "confident this will pass" and very highly concerned. 

Normally I dont get caught up in this type of thing...but the national shutdown of everything I thought was impervious (disney, colleges, sports) scares the hell out of me and gives me a feeling this is much bigger then we think.
I can't comment on Disney or sports, but the thing with colleges moving to online instruction should not freak anybody out.  I told my wife six weeks ago that this was going to happen, and she looked at me like I had two heads -- all married guys know exactly the look I'm talking about.  But this was 100% predictable for anybody who was paying attention.  Our students are fine, and they'll finish out the semester.  Seniors will graduate, although probably without a commencement.  Please know that many of us are on top of this, and while this is very odd, it's not the end of the world.  Things will probably be back to normal in the fall. 

Frustrated - I'm reminded by the lack of intellectual capacity among the masses on a consistent basis

Optimistic - Reports are we'll be through the brunt of this in weeks, and I'll be financially netting up  pretty substantially

Cautious - trying to not be a spreader, and not hoarding

Bored - I'm a huge college hoops fan, life feels empty without it this time of year

sad because of how freaked out my mother is. she is in general one of the most level headed person that i know and i was very excited for the college wrestling tournament and that other college tournament. plus the possibility of losing the summer Olympics 

Users who are viewing this thread