What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now that Brady is a Buccaneer... (1 Viewer)

ffmail4me said:
For all the talk of how bad Brady is now on his deep ball, according to next gen stats he was the 7th highest rated deep passer in the league last year.  :shrug:
Next gen stats (the NFL version) seems almost useless because of seemingly bad/shallow methods of measurement/collection and lack of context in the raw data we get.

For example - fastest ball carrier.  Why so much variation?  My guess is that it doesn't know how to not factor it in when a player gets pushed/bounces forward or something like that - maybe too much variation in measurement method or doesn't know not to measure them falling to the ground?.  Saquon Barkley might be 10% faster based on what week we measured.  That makes zero sense in terms of a useful stat, lacking the context involved.  IMO you can usually tell a stat is pretty worthless if it isn't sticky at all, and/or is heavily dependent on the team around the player.

I'm pretty disappointed in it so far.

What Next Gen Stat is saying Brady has the 7th best deep ball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Godwin should be a better version of Welker/Amendola/Edelman right?  He's the winner here in ppr leagues.
Better yes but also different. Jim Nagy was on twitter last night saying Brady has never played without a quick slot guy, one who can get open quickly and adept at finding holes in defense. He got some pushback from people on Godwin but kept insisting Godwin's not that kind of slot, and he's right.

So boils down to how much Arians is going to bend his offense to suit Brady. My guess is a lot.

Godwin should be a better version of Welker/Amendola/Edelman right?  He's the winner here in ppr leagues.
Welker has become really underrated over the last few years. Edelman, and especially Amendola were nowhere near his league. I'm a huge Godwin fan, but I'm not sure he is either.

Welker has become really underrated over the last few years. Edelman, and especially Amendola were nowhere near his league. I'm a huge Godwin fan, but I'm not sure he is either.
Godwin is well within Welker's league. Welker was awesome, but still mainly a slot/underneath guy. 

Godwin is a monster athlete.  Welker had the quicks.  They're two different types of players if you ask me.

43 year old Brady is still a hell of a lot better than Winston. He's even in better shape than Winston. 

Somewhat hot take I guess: If you count the incoming rookie class, I don't think Winston is a top-32 NFL QB. He's a backup QB, who has put up nice fantasy numbers because of an ideal situation, but let s not forget, he was outplayed both NFL and fantasy wise by Ryan Fitzpatrick with those same weapons. Why can't Brady be better? 

Brady to Tampa, has a very Favre to Minnesota vibe to it to me. 
The bolded really can't be emphasized enough. Winston was showing up out of shape at 21. He's 26 now, same story. 

Actually Brady might be in better shape than any QB in the league. He and Gazelle are known for crazy healthy diets and workout regiments. 

Shefter just tweeted numerous free agents reaching out to Bucs to play with Brady
Not surprised.  The Bucs have been a trendy pick the last few years to make the playoffs, but always with that "if Winston improves" caveat.  That team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, and even a 43-year old Brady will be a big upgrade over a guy who threw pick'6's like he was promised a pound of crab legs for each one.  Players love being on a team that wins game and has a good chance to make the playoffs, and Tom Brady now being there makes that very possible.

I don't buy the AB thing. Brady may love the guys' skills, but AB has proven relentlessly in past 12 months that he ain't good people. Does Tampa want that baggage to counter Tom's good will? How long until he #####es about not getting looks because of Evans and Godwin?

I don't buy the AB thing. Brady may love the guys' skills, but AB has proven relentlessly in past 12 months that he ain't good people. Does TB want that baggage to counter Tom's good will? How long until he #####es about not getting looks because of Evans and Godwin?
You already have the best WR tandem in the league, is that not enough? 

Due to the strength at WR with Tampa I thought the AB to Tampa rumors were fun but was dubious it would ever take place.  Then I listened to Mike Lombardi yesterday and my attitude changed. He stated, multiple times,  that he thought we would definitely see AB in a Buc's uniform and that it was going to happen. Have whatever opinion you want on Lombardi but he's connected in general,  connected to Brady specifically and does not throw crazy rumors out. He's also far from always being right but he deserves some credence.

In the end it really does not matter what we think Tampa needs or how good their top two WR's look. Tom Brady in Tampa is going to get what Tom Brady wants. He feels empowered, and he should, because he is. If he wants AB  if/when he's cleared by the league and they can agree on financial terms I do believe Tampa will sign him.

I agree here, but Brady signed with the expectation that he would be calling the shots.

Dont put it past Brady to blow up the WRs and bring in Cooks and AB
What an absolute slap in the face to Evans and Godwin that would be. I mean, Mike is only on a historic pace at the position as far as 1k yard seasons goes and Godwin just put together a fantastic season in his third year. Why you would gamble on a clearly unhinged Antonio Brown when you already have that at your disposal boggles my mind. 

This is all very surreal to me. 
I can see guys wanting to play with Brady, especially now that he is away from BB.   I recall a former player who was a FA telling a buddy of mine guys don't want to play for BB, and now way in H... they would choose NE in free agency.

I can see guys wanting to play with Brady, especially now that he is away from BB.   I recall a former player who was a FA telling a buddy of mine guys don't want to play for BB, and now way in H... they would choose NE in free agency.
They don't want to play for BB and NE because they rarely get paid. They get used at whatever rate they're at, asked to sacrifice person for team, at times at great expense, and then are sent on their way with no stats to show for their lowball offer from the Pats. How they do business.

They don't want to play for BB and NE because they rarely get paid. They get used at whatever rate they're at, asked to sacrifice person to team, and then are sent on their way with no stats to show for their lowball offer from the Pats. How they do business.
I disagree. BB brings guys in for low dollars and gives them a chance and figures out how they can succeed. MULTIPLE guys then left and GOT PAID a HUGE amount of money. Van Noy, Flowers, Brown, Collins, etc., etc., etc.

They don't want to play for BB and NE because they rarely get paid. They get used at whatever rate they're at, asked to sacrifice person for team, at times at great expense, and then are sent on their way with no stats to show for their lowball offer from the Pats. How they do business.
You forgot the part where they get a Super Bowl title and the part that Anarchy said about getting overpaid once they leave.

As for not getting paid that has always been untrue...over the years they have had plenty of guys get big deals...Wilfork, Mankins, Gilmore, Hightower, Mason, Solder, McCourty and Gostkowski are examples...here is an article (although it is 5 years old) debunking that narrative:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2015/7/16/8976261/new-england-patriots-have-a-history-of-paying-record-contracts-for-players

You forgot the part where they get a Super Bowl title and the part that Anarchy said about getting overpaid once they leave.

As for not getting paid that has always been untrue...over the years they have had plenty of guys get big deals...Wilfork, Mankins, Gilmore, Hightower, Mason, Solder, McCourty and Gostkowski are examples...here is an article (although it is 5 years old) debunking that narrative:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2015/7/16/8976261/new-england-patriots-have-a-history-of-paying-record-contracts-for-players
They'll only pay out certain positions. They will pay, especially in the secondary. But at few other positions. PFF -- or was it ESPN? -- just analyzed the decisions about their front seven and came away basically saying they let almost all these guys walk. I think the link is behind a paywall, otherwise I'd provide. Do they get change when they get out of NE? Sure, as long as they're not traded to Hue Jackson's team or something Belichickian.

They'll only pay out certain positions. They will pay, especially in the secondary. But at few other positions. PFF -- or was it ESPN? -- just analyzed the decisions about their front seven and came away basically saying they let almost all these guys walk. I think the link is behind a paywall, otherwise I'd provide. Do they get change when they get out of NE? Sure, as long as they're not traded to Hue Jackson's team or something Belichickian.
The guys who are walking are more often then not getting overpaid...the Collins contract is awful....while I like Van Noys and he will be missed he is a guy they picked up for nothing and at 29 not a guy I would give that much money to although I do see the fit in a Miami with where they are...Shelton is another guy they got for little who was on the bubble last off-season and they just replaced him...going back to last year Flowers was a tough loss but definitely not worth that type of money...I have always felt the most underrated part of this past 20 years was how often BB was right when he let a guy walk regardless of the sky is falling crowd saying this is the end...he has made more then his share of bad draft picks and signings but you can count on one hand how many times they really got burnt when they let someone move on...it is a new era with Brady gone but I don’t see them suddenly going into panic mode and over-valuing who is a legit foundation player and who is someone they can replace at a cheaper price....

It's hard to imagine a worse decision for the Bucs than to bring in Brown after signing Brady. WR is the last thing they need to upgrade. Brady has plenty of weapons. It's probably a big reason why he chose them. 

They're probably just kicking the PR tires on signing a guy to a deal that's way below his talent level (but appropriate for his toxicity). I'd be surprised if they actually did it.

Fantasy-wise I think signing Brady hurts the receivers. No reason to sling it all over the field if you're not putting your team in the hole with bad interceptions. The Buccaneers have been fun to watch but tough to support. I suspect they'll be more boring and more successful. 

it is a new era with Brady gone but I don’t see them suddenly going into panic mode and over-valuing who is a legit foundation player and who is someone they can replace at a cheaper price....
I don't either. Thanks for your input and Anarchy99's by the way. It helped clarify my own thoughts.

Due to the strength at WR with Tampa I thought the AB to Tampa rumors were fun but was dubious it would ever take place.  Then I listened to Mike Lombardi yesterday and my attitude changed. He stated, multiple times,  that he thought we would definitely see AB in a Buc's uniform and that it was going to happen. Have whatever opinion you want on Lombardi but he's connected in general,  connected to Brady specifically and does not throw crazy rumors out. He's also far from always being right but he deserves some credence.

In the end it really does not matter what we think Tampa needs or how good their top two WR's look. Tom Brady in Tampa is going to get what Tom Brady wants. He feels empowered, and he should, because he is. If he wants AB  if/when he's cleared by the league and they can agree on financial terms I do believe Tampa will sign him.
Sure, if they have the cap space. Right now, Spotrac shows that Tampa has ~$41M available after accounting for their draft picks... but without accounting for Brady. If he has a $30M cap hit, they don't have much left, since they have to account for $2.1M for practice squad and $3M to $4M for IR replacements. They could still make some moves to free up cap space, like signing Barrett to a long term contract with a lower cap hit than the franchise tag value, but I'm just saying the budget is not unlimited.

Many of Godwins scores came from fly routes. Brady may not have the arm strength he once had, which would limit the upside of a deep threat more. I am not saying Evans doesn't also get a lot of fly routes, but Brady tends to do well throwing short to intermediate routes and letting the WR or TE make a play. 

I think Brady to TB creates a fantasy cannibal situation where Howard, Evans, Godwin, and a RB all eat into each other's fantasy value. This means there is still good value, but bump Howard and a RB up a lot and Evans/Godwin down to make up the difference. 
Not to pick on you, but fly routes?

The one thing I tell people is if you want to be better than your leaguemates, then watch the games. You're missing so much context if you just follow stats.  I know that not everyone has 6-8 tvs like I do to have every game on tv on Sundays, but you can watch the games on Game Pass later or even highlights.

Someone mentioned that he had several long td catches. Yeah, from intermediate routes that he broke tackles. He should be fine with Brady, but TB will be better, so expect less shootouts

Here are his highlights if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkBcO6W5EYM

Evans will be fine as well - still too talented to see a significant drop in numbers.  In fact Godwin's improvement helps Evans (as does a team having to focus on Evans helps Godwin).   Brady coming in and materially changing things downward for either is overblown.

Mike Evans could be the best seal-off pass catcher in the history of the game, Tom Brady could be the kind of person who could make him pay full attention to his talent and i got ME13 getting TB12's Gronk routes if the new qb is allowed to do some reconfiguring. The rest, i dont have a clue

Brady contract particulars . . . 2 years, $50 million . . . all guaranteed. Another $9 million available through incentives.

Mike Evans could be the best seal-off pass catcher in the history of the game, Tom Brady could be the kind of person who could make him pay full attention to his talent and i got ME13 getting TB12's Gronk routes if the new qb is allowed to do some reconfiguring. The rest, i dont have a clue
Something tells me Evans is a buy this year. Not sure about the rest of the bucs.

Brate has the makings of a Brady guy...not saying he is gonna blow-up but he could be a factor...just a gut feeling knowing Brady...absolutely nothing else to base this on.

Users who are viewing this thread