What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strengthen Your Immune System for Fighting the Virus (1 Viewer)

Dr. Saxena is a GP in Fremont CA. She is no more a “disease expert” than your (or mine) local doctor.  
The link and the expert on a Fox were different people, the information was corroborated for knuckleheads.

But you do you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link and the expert on a Fox were different people, the information was corroborated for knuckleheads.

But you do you.
Right.  And there's still no evidence that zinc does anything for your health.  Or vitamin D pills other than with a doctor's recommendation.  But go on listening to crap.

I am not a medical professional, but the bottom line is a lot of this is common sense for everyday living and not unique to a pandemic. 

Get sleep, eat healthy, use something to reduce stesss like breathing exercises or yoga, get outside and soak up some rays and take a short walk.

As far as the vitamins, as long as someone isn’t saying it is a cure-all/prevention for something, then if you believe taking one makes you more “emotionally immune,” go for it. 

Thinks you can do to strengthen your immune system:

LINK

-Vitamin D pills - from what I read, much of the population is deficient and if you overindulge you just pee it out. What could it hurt.

-vitamins with Zinc - don't know in general. Personally I'm at risk for AMD so I do this anyway. 

-exercise(anything over 60 minutes can actually compromise your immune system so don't go too hard) - no expert, but I suspect most people going over 60 minutes are at a pace that has little impact anyway.

-extra sleep - again, from what I read, much of the population is deficient anyway so "extra" might be the wrong word.

-minimize stress - one way at the moment, just, figuratively speaking, make most of your plans in pencil.

-minimize smoking/vaping/drinking - probably always good advice but, for some, maybe it helps with stress.
JMO

I like this part, directly quoted from the article and edited together haphazardly as I have done here:

"Consume immunity-boosting vitamins to support your immune system. Most effective way to get high doses of Vitain C, Vitamin B and Zinc is intravenously (IV). And don't exercise too much - too much exercise is stressful on the body." :oldunsure: :D

Why because apparently this is the thread where we give Trip a hard time just for trying to help a brother out for chrisakes! :lol: They flamed you good Trip I feel you though brother

I mean, I don't think there is any advice there that is harmful as long as it is not used in place of regular medicine and is probably beneficial from a healthy life perspective, but I don't know how much it will actually help you fight Covid-19 or other pathogens. That Dr's website seems super sketchy (look at our services) and goes into a bunch of sort of woowoo homeopathic stuff like "adrenal fatigue" which, according to medical consensus is not something that exists. I assume every quack under the sun will be coming up with their own patented Covid-19 cure. 

“minimize stress” :lmao:
Seriously - Work hasn't let up despite everyone working chaotically from a distance.  Kids are now home with no assistance for myself or my wife who both work.  I'm on calls all day except for a 1 hour gap (now).  My VPN kicks me off every few hours due to capacity issues.  But don't stress...

huthut said:
I mean, I don't think there is any advice there that is harmful as long as it is not used in place of regular medicine and is probably beneficial from a healthy life perspective, but I don't know how much it will actually help you fight Covid-19 or other pathogens. That Dr's website seems super sketchy (look at our services) and goes into a bunch of sort of woowoo homeopathic stuff like "adrenal fatigue" which, according to medical consensus is not something that exists. I assume every quack under the sun will be coming up with their own patented Covid-19 cure. 
Is Harvard good enough for you?

drink Kombucha tea

/thread

naw seriously I swapped out my morning  :coffee:  for this & it’s the third best thing I’ve ever done for my health 

:thumbup:

(quitting smoking & increasing my water intake are 1 & 2)

I am not saying it is necessarily wrong, where I believe the things you listed below do help (though as more of a lifestyle choice and not something you can make up lost time for in a month).

• -exercise
  • -extra sleep
  • -minimize stress
  • -minimize smoking/vaping/drinking
It is more the vitamin stuff (and that source you had) that I am somewhat skeptical of. I am finding journal articles and such documenting that having vitamin deficiencies weakens your immune system, but even a relatively unhealthy diet probably covers your needs unless you eat nothing but french fries or something similarly limited, and I am not finding much that shows a benefit of taking a vitamin or other supplement will help if you already have adequate levels. 

I feel like one of the travesties of the modern medical/nutritional field was when Orrin Hatch, who was fully owned by supplement lobbies, made it so that supplements are mostly unregulated, and are nothing but snake oil for 99% of the population. All sorts of commercials on tv or items at the grocery store with all sorts of promises, and all they need to do is slap on a little "these claims are not validated by the FDA" in size 4 font. Just a pure government supported scam.

Of course, even though none of use believe it does anything, my coworkers and I all take the EmergenC or whatever vitamin stuff that is provided at work when someone gets sick :shrug: .

TripItUp said:
I don't know why I even tried.
And yet we’ve been lectured time and time again it was the PSF where all the issues were.  

Really not sure why this didn’t go over well. It was sound advice at an appropriate time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

drink Kombucha tea

/thread

naw seriously I swapped out my morning  :coffee:  for this & it’s the third best thing I’ve ever done for my health 

:thumbup:

(quitting smoking & increasing my water intake are 1 & 2)
I tried but man that stuff tastes horrible

Users who are viewing this thread