What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (2 Viewers)

sorry about that - the board said "don't post so quickly", so I waited and hit post again, and the same message came up. Several times. oops. 

Last edited by a moderator:
3.06 - Joe Montana - Greatest QB

There will be debate on this one - there are several who could claim the top spot, so this might not be a great value pick in round 3. But if I have to win one game, Joe Cool is under center.
Yep, which is why I found this to be an lesser-valued category. 

As a suggestion to others, and with the weekend nearly here, I sent my number to Tim so as to try to expedite things...

3.06 - Joe Montana - Greatest QB

There will be debate on this one - there are several who could claim the top spot, so this might not be a great value pick in round 3. But if I have to win one game, Joe Cool is under center.
I can't believe someone took Joe Burrow so early.  He isn't even on an NFL team yet.

Rd. 3  Martina Navratilova - Category 54: Greatest Women's Tennis Player 

no woman ever did more, both on and off the court, to move the women's game forward to the point where it is now.  

her dominance began when she started to train more vigorously, transforming herself from pudgy power player to streamlined assassin... the women's game would never be the same. 

her dominance and longevity in all three disciplines (singles/doubles/mixed doubles - in which she won her last major at age FORTY NINE!) is unparalleled.  these are lifetime marks that most likely will never be broken.  

from her defection from the Czech Repiblic, to her revolutionizing the women's game between the lines ... to her tireless efforts to move the women's tour towards more equality, to her advocacy for gay rights - nobody left a bigger footprint than her. 

... and i despised her at first, as did many - this foreign chick, probably on 'roids or some other "commie ####" - parked America's (and my) sweethheart (Chis Evert) right on her sweet rear. 

but Evert grew to respect Martina, as it forced her to pick up her game, making her a much better player/competitor ... indicative of how she won us all over, including Ms. Evert. 

it's up to the judge here to decide, but Martina was always gonna be my choice in this category. 

her laundry list of accomplishments is so massive that im'ma let Wiki handle it ... here it is:

>>> Navratilova was world No. 1 for a total of 332 weeks in singles, and a record 237 weeks in doubles, making her the only player in history to have held the top spot in both singles and doubles for over 200 weeks. She was year-end singles No. 1 seven times, including a record of five consecutive years, as well as year-end doubles No. 1 five times, including three consecutive years during which she held the ranking for the entire year.

She won 18 Grand Slam singles titles, 31 major women's doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 major mixed doubles titles, for a combined total of 59 major titles, marking the Open Era record for the most Grand Slam titles won by one player, male or female. She reached the Wimbledon singles final 12 times, including for nine consecutive years from 1982 through 1990, and won the women's singles title at Wimbledon a record nine times (surpassing Helen Wills Moody's eight Wimbledon titles), including a run of six consecutive titles, widely regarded as the best performance by any professional player at a major event. She and Billie Jean King each won 20 combined Wimbledon titles, an all-time record. Navratilova is also one of just three women ever to have accomplished a Career Grand Slam in women's singles and doubles, and mixed doubles, called the career "Grand Slam Boxed Set"; consisting of every senior Grand Slam title, a distinction she shares only with two others, Margaret Court and Doris Hart.

Navratilova holds the records for most singles (167) and doubles titles (177) in the Open Era. Her record as No. 1 in singles (1982–86) remains the most dominant in professional tennis to date. Over five consecutive seasons, she won 428 out of 442 singles matches, averaging fewer than three losses per year to 87 wins, for a sustained winning percentage of 96.8%. She holds the best season win-loss record in the Open Era, 86-1 (98.9%) in 1983, and four out of the top six Open Era seasons. She recorded the longest winning streak in the Open Era (74 consecutive matches) as well as three out of the six longest winning streaks in history.

She and Serena Williams are the only Open Era players to have won six major singles crowns without the loss of a set. Navratilova, Margaret Court and Maureen Connolly share the record for the most consecutive major singles titles (six). Navratilova reached 11 consecutive major singles finals, second all-time only to Steffi Graf's 13, and is the only woman ever to reach 19 consecutive major semifinals. Navratilova also won the season-ending WTA Tour Championships for top ranked players a record eight times and made the finals a record 14 times. She is the only player of either sex to have won eight different tournaments at least seven times. She was ranked in the world's top 10 in singles for a record 20 consecutive years (1975–1994), a span which included 19 years in the top 5, 15 years in the top 3, and 7 years as the world No. 1 ranked singles player.

In women's doubles, Navratilova and Pam Shriver had one of the most successful partnerships in history and won 109 consecutive matches, including all four major titles, the doubles Grand Slam, in 1984. The pair set an all-time record of 79 titles together and tied the record set by Louise Brough Clapp and Margaret Osborne duPont of 20 major women's doubles titles as a team. Navratilova also won the WTA Tour Championships doubles title a record 11 times. She is one of only five tennis players of all-time to win a multiple slam set in two disciplines, matched only by Margaret Court, Roy Emerson, Frank Sedgman and Serena Williams. Navratilova won her last major title in 2006, adding the mixed doubles crown at the 2006 US Open to her resume just a few weeks before her 50th birthday, 32 years after her first Grand Slam title in 1974. <<<

2.14 - Hank Aaron, MLB - Greatest Baseball Player

One could accuse me of this being a homer pick but there's several that think he's vastly underrated and the greatest player ever.  It helps that he plays for my hometown and favorite team and he's probably the only person who will be drafted that I've met in person.
I've probably told this story before, but Hank Aaron presented me with the greatest disappointment of my life.  Circa 1975-76-ish, when he was winding down his career with the Milwaukee Brewers, I was watching him play at Arlington Stadium (shout out to all the Dr. Pepper Junior Rangers!), sitting in a front-row, right-center field bleacher seat. He launched a shot STRAIGHT at me, but the center fielder caught it on the very back of the warning track.  

I've been comfortable using the word #### ever since.

3.8 - NBA Forward - Lebron James

James is unique to me because he's basically my age. I recall him coming out of high school with more hype than I had ever seen. I further recall thinking, "man, no way with this hype this kid is going to live up to it; he'll #### it up somehow." Well, amazingly, I couldn't have been more wrong. He lived up to the incredible hype and then some. Arguably the second greatest basketball player ever despite his career not yet over (and he's doing the unthinkable and possibly nearing Jordan), he's been the most versatile forward to ever play the game and instantly transforms the teams he's on into a contender. His accomplishments include three NBA championships, four MVP's, three Finals MVP's, and two Olympic gold medals. James holds the all-time record for playoffs points, is third in all-time points, and eighth in all-time assists. James was selected to the All-NBA First Team twelve times (all-time record), made the All-Defensive First Team five times, played in sixteen All-Star Games as All-Star MVP three times.

Note and caveat for the judges: Per "Basketball Reference" Tim Duncan played 72% of his time at center and should therefore be regarded as a center. As such, in weighing this category, James appears to head and shoulders above the likes of Bird, Nowitzki, Garnett, Webber, etc. If anything, even if one disagrees, please consider this as my thinking in making this selection. 

ETA: also, I believe this may be the first selection that is still actively playing!

Rd. 3  Martina Navratilova - Category 54: Greatest Women's Tennis Player 

no woman ever did more, both on and off the court, to move the women's game forward to the point where it is now.  
Other than the choice made a few selections before this one. 

2.15 -  Phil Jackson - Category 14, Best NBA Coach

Phil Jackson has had a winning record every year he was a head coach, and currently has the highest winning percentage of any Hall of Fame coach, and further the highest of any NBA coach coaching 500 games or more. Along with his NBA-record eleven championships, he is the only coach to win at least ten championships in any of North America's major professional sports.

No offense to Pop but Jackson is the best NBA coach of all time.
#### Phil Jackson and his "simulator crew" and "asterisk" talk, and his self-promoting, phony, zen-master whiny bull####. 

I'm not gonna overthink this.  The greatest NBA player of all-time is still on the board (AND IT'S NOT CLOSE), so I'll go with:

GREATEST GUARD:  Magic Johnson

He did it all, and he did it all against the greatest foil of all-time on a huge stage. His mind-body co-ordination was perfect. 

Anybody can shoot, but can you pass?
That cabin fever getting to you? Or did you hit an early happy hour? 

3.10.  Greatest Female Gymnast - Simone Biles

Biles is a five-time World all-around champion (2013–2015, 2018–19), five-time World floor exercise champion (2013–2015, 2018–19), three-time World balance beam champion (2014–15, 2019), two-time World vault champion (2018–19), a six-time United States national all-around champion (2013–2016, 2018–19), and a member of the gold-medal-winning American teams at the 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. Additionally, she is a three-time World silver medalist (2013 and 2014 on vault, 2018 on uneven bars) and a three-time World bronze medalist (2015 on vault, 2013 and 2018 on balance beam).

Biles is the gymnast with the most World medals (25) and most World gold medals (19), having surpassed Scherbo's record 23 World medals by winning her 24th and 25th, both gold, at the 2019 competition in Stuttgart.[6] She is the female gymnast with the most World all-around titles (5). Biles is the sixth woman to win an individual all-around title at both the World Championships and the Olympics, and the first gymnast since Lilia Podkopayeva in 1996 to hold both titles simultaneously. She is the tenth gymnast and first American gymnast to win a World medal on every event, and the first gymnast since Daniela Silivaș in 1988 to win a medal on every event at a single Olympic Games or World Championships, having accomplished this feat at the 2018 World Championships.

That cabin fever getting to you? Or did you hit an early happy hour? 
Yeah, I shoud tone it down.  Lot of pent-up frustration from work this week.

BTW:  Xocoveza (Imperial Stout inspired by Mexican hot chocolate) is really good, and is really 8.1% abv.  

3.8 - NBA Forward - Lebron James

James is unique to me because he's basically my age. I recall him coming out of high school with more hype than I had ever seen. I further recall thinking, "man, no way with this hype this kid is going to live up to it; he'll #### it up somehow." Well, amazingly, I couldn't have been more wrong. He lived up to the incredible hype and then some. Arguably the second greatest basketball player ever despite his career not yet over (and he's doing the unthinkable and possibly nearing Jordan), he's been the most versatile forward to ever play the game and instantly transforms the teams he's on into a contender. His accomplishments include three NBA championships, four MVP's, three Finals MVP's, and two Olympic gold medals. James holds the all-time record for playoffs points, is third in all-time points, and eighth in all-time assists. James was selected to the All-NBA First Team twelve times (all-time record), made the All-Defensive First Team five times, played in sixteen All-Star Games as All-Star MVP three times.

Note and caveat for the judges: Per "Basketball Reference" Tim Duncan played 72% of his time at center and should therefore be regarded as a center. As such, in weighing this category, James appears to head and shoulders above the likes of Bird, Nowitzki, Garnett, Webber, etc. If anything, even if one disagrees, please consider this as my thinking in making this selection. 

ETA: also, I believe this may be the first selection that is still actively playing!
i was going to pick him if he dropped a few more slots as All-around Greatest Athlete. He's never really played anything but b-ball but, when they used to joke about James being a great tight end in football, i thought about it and realized he's the only human being i could imagine being successful at every position on the football field. Was going to think about him playing other sports but i had a flashback of a ballet made entirely of Fosbury flops. Not a fan of LeBron's Trumpomatic self-image, but an unprecedented, unstoppable athlete, the Secretariat of human beings.

Ok,  so I've never done one of these before....  So how exactly does the judging work?     And should I fear Rock being a judge?

hard to discuss without spotlighting, but Navratilova has the most convertible skills of any old gen tennis player, either gender
...  not to mention that she lost title chances against 3 of the top 10 players of all time (Chrisie, Steffi, Monica), while Serena has never had that kinda depth and greatness opposing her from start of her career to finish. 

Martina also played with the wooden racket for the most part ... put a metal racket in her hands from jump and she may have been undefeated for an entire decade.

Yeah, I shoud tone it down.  Lot of pent-up frustration from work this week.

BTW:  Xocoveza (Imperial Stout inspired by Mexican hot chocolate) is really good, and is really 8.1% abv.  
Same boat. I now have a glass of wine in my hand and will likely be less critical. 

Just to fill inthe blanks, who is the quietest, greatest superstar of all-time?  Thought inspired by the Hank Aaron pick.

####, my post just got deleted

3.11 - category 50 - greatest soccer goalie

Lev Yashin

long story short, the black spider won the order of ####### Lenin.

3.05  -- LARISA LATYNINA  -- WOMENS SPORTS, Greatest Gymnast (56)

Another category crusher! Was considering letting her slide because some of you probably have never heard of her but didn’t think she would still be around for me at 4.12.

Larisa (or Double L as I like to call her :D ) holds the record for the most Olympic gold medals by a gymnast, male or female, with 9. Her total of 18 Olympic medals was a record for 48 years. She held the record for individual event medals with 14 for 52 years. She laid the ground work that enabled the Soviet Union to be a dominant force in gymnastics for years.

She is the only woman to have won nine Olympic gold medals. She is also the only female athlete who at some point has held the record for most Olympic gold medals. Additionally, within the sport of gymnastics, she is the only woman who has won an all-around medal in more than two Olympiads, the only woman who has won an individual event (floor exercise) in more than two Olympiads, and one of only three women who have won every individual event at either the World Championship or Olympic level. She is the only female gymnast to have twice won team gold, all-around gold and an event final gold at the same Olympics, having done so in 1956 and four years later, in 1960.

At other levels of competition, she was equally good. 14 European Championship medals, 7 of them gold. 14 World Championship medals, 7 of them gold. 

Welcome aboard Larisa!

PS - Her father was killed at the Battle of Stalingrad, where he served as a machine gunner fighting the Nazi’s.
Gets my vote for the most interesting pick of the draft so far!

Users who are viewing this thread