What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (1 Viewer)

so, my top 5 (MLB IFs), which include a tie, are:

1. Honus Wagner SS

2. Roger Hornsby 2B (tie) - sorry for the typo, 3B isnt exactly middle infield either.

2. Not yet picked (tie)

4. Not yet picked

5 Not yet picked (and this one may be up for some more debate, but I think I know who it would be... may actually be a tie though upon more thought)
[insidejoke]

A mr harrier favorite, I presume?

[/insidejoke]

6.16: Joe McCarthy, MLB Manager

1926-30 Chicago Cubs
1931-46 New York Yankees
1948-50 Boston Red Sox

Seven World Series titles with New York (AL). One NL pennant with the Cubs, eight AL pennants with the Yankees. Highest regular-season win % all-time in MLB (.615) and won nearly 7 of 10 in the World Series (.698). His teams never had a losing record. 

7.01: 1971–72 UCLA Bruins, NCAA Basketball Team

John Wooden led these national champions that went 30-0 and defeated opponents by over 30 points a game. On their way to Wooden's eighth championship, UCLA downed three Top-10 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Sophomore center Bill Walton and point guard Henry Bibby were first team All-Americans, and Walton took home the Naismith Trophy. Their teammates included three other future NBA/ABA players -- Keith (later Jamaal) Wilkes, Swen Nater, and Greg Lee. Wilkes and Nater later were All-Stars in their respective pro leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody-THIS is the sort of post I would prefer rather than “I’ll judge any baseball category”. That doesn’t do me much good. Please be specific. 

Also- no drafters will be judges for now. Let’s see how many non drafters want to do it, and then we’ll reassess later on. Thanks. 
I will judge greatest moment/game for each applicable sport, please.

7.02 - Shaq O'Neal -  Greatest NBA Center (Category 11)

I debated between two guys at this spot but I went with the guy I thought was the better all around athlete.  In his prime Shaq could not be stopped.  He won 4 titles so he was able to win on the biggest stage.  Plus I am a fan of how much fun he had when playing.  

@AAABatteries on the clock

I debated between two guys at this spot but I went with the guy I thought was the better all around athlete.  In his prime Shaq could not be stopped.  He won 4 titles so he was able to win on the biggest stage.  Plus I am a fan of how much fun he had when playing.  

Good choice. He was on my short list. 

Checking the board out in the Dark theme. Interesting.

Jwb, just so you know ... white text is invisible in the regular board theme. Bright reds, oranges, and blues seems to look good in both themes.
Thank you sir - will stop using.

7.04 Jackie Joyner-Kersey Greatest female Track and field (58)

4-time Olympian and 6-time Olympic medalist  who twice won gold in the Heptathlon. Sports Illustrated voted her the greatest female athlete of the 20th century.   In 1988, she was named as one of the 15 greatest players in UCLA women’s basketball and in 2001; she was voted the “Top Woman Collegiate Athlete of the Past 25 Years” by members of the NCAA. Along with her Olympic triumphs, Joyner-Kersee won four gold medals at the World Championships. She claimed the national heptathlon championship eight times and the national long jump title nine times, setting the American record with her leap of 24 feet, 7 inches in 1994. Joyner-Kersee also thrived in the hurdles, setting national records at distances of 50, 55 and 60 meters

She is one bad lady!

7.04 Jackie Joyner-Kersey Greatest female Track and field (58)

4-time Olympian and 6-time Olympic medalist  who twice won gold in the Heptathlon. Sports Illustrated voted her the greatest female athlete of the 20th century.   In 1988, she was named as one of the 15 greatest players in UCLA women’s basketball and in 2001; she was voted the “Top Woman Collegiate Athlete of the Past 25 Years” by members of the NCAA. She is one bad lady!
Nice! I had her bunched up with Flo-Jo and a third female but was going to take her if she got to me. Nice choice. 

7.05 -- IMMACULATE RECEPTION  -- NFL, Greatest Moment or Game (26)

It was two days before Christmas in 1972, and the Steelers needed a miracle. Down a point at Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers Stadium in the Divisional playoffs against Oakland with 22 seconds and no timeouts left, it was fourth-and-10 from their own 40. In their four decades of existence, the Steelers had never won a playoff game. QB Terry Bradshaw dropped back, looked for receivers, and – avoiding two would-be sacks – fired a long pass down the middle towards running back John “Frenchy” Fuqua. But arriving along with the ball was hard-hitting Raiders safety Jack Tatum, who ricocheted the ball back toward Steeler territory, destined for the turf. Incredibly, Pittsburgh’s Franco Harris, a 230-pound rookie running back, nabbed the ball within millimeters of the ground and scampered down the left sideline for a 60-yard touchdown and a 13-7 victory. Although Pittsburgh would fall, 21-17, in the AFC Championship to the eventual (and undefeated) Super Bowl-winning Dolphins, the “Immaculate Reception” represented a sort of beginning to the magical stretch of four Super Bowl titles in six years that would cement the 1970s Steelers as one of the NFL’s great dynasties.

NFL Films has chosen it as the greatest play of all time, as well as the most controversial. The play was also selected as the Greatest Play in NFL History in the NFL Network’s 100 series.

"Last chance for the Steelers ... "

7.06 - Mickey Wright  - Greatest Women's Golfer

From PGA.com: Wright's 82 LPGA victories are the second-most in LPGA history. Wright began her amazing LPGA career in 1955. Ben Hogan was said of Wright's swing that it was the best he'd ever seen. In an eight-year period between 1958-1966, Wright won all 13 of her major championship titles. 

13 majors in 8 years is pretty dominant. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

April 8th, 1974: Hank Aaron Breaks Babe Ruth's Career Home Run Record - Greatest Baseball Moment or Game - Category 9.

so he ended the 1973 season at 713 HRs - one short of tying, two shy of breaking this most revered record of our National pastime. 

he was besieged with death threats and hate mail that entire '73 season as he was running up the tallies that would eventually eclipse the Bambino. 

he said his biggest worry was just making it through the off season alive - that's how palpable the tension and danger were.  incredible. 

the Post Office presented him with a plaque for receiving over 900,000 pieces of mail that year, the great majority of which turned out to be positive vibes from folks standing up to the bigotry and hate ... it encouraged and comforted him, but the danger was very, very real.  

playing for the Braves in the state of Georgia didn't do him many favors, either ... was still quite a hellish planet in many quarters of that place he called "home", as far as race was concerned.  

the story of the record chase was as big as Watergate- National headlines, especially considering all the extenuating circumstances ... baseball was still king, and Aaron was about to topple the prime royalty.  

the Braves opened the '74 season on the road in Cincinatti, and Atlanta management wanted him to sit those three games so he could break the record at home.   Commisioner Kuhn stepped in and ruled that Hank had to play at least two of the three.  

in true storybook/Hollywood fashion, he tied the record on his first swing of the '74 season, taking Jack Billingham deeeeeeep to tie the Sultan of Swat at 714 ⚾️ he wound up finishing the series on that number, so the stage was set for an EPIC seies vs the Dodgers back home in Atlanta. 

the sports world was eating it up, front and back pages were plastered with headlines and bylines about the great Henry Aaron on the precipice of making monumental history. 

an Atlanta record crowd of 53,775 were in attendance for that series opener ... NBC was on hand televising, and it seemed as if the entire Nation stopped that evening to glue themselves to the tube. 

i was 5 1/2 years old, and it was all we heard on the streets and playgrounds and dinner tables - this was a great time to be a wide eyed kid who was developing a love affair with the sport ... hell, my mom even waived making sure all homework and chores were cleared so we could sit and watch.  

Aaron walked in the first inning, eventually scoring ... so, not even an official at bat, as it were. 

then the bottom of the 4th rolled around, and Aaron was up against Dodger hurler (and former Yankee) Al Downing ... the first pitch he let go was rocketed deeeeeeep to left center ... aaaaaaand GONE! 715!  (sidebar:  Centerfielder Bill Buckner leaped as high as he could to snag the epic artifact, but missed that ball, too - damn Billy Bucks!)

the fans poured out the stands as Hank rounded the bases - as he was turning for home, a couple kids approached him as he was passing third base ... i'll never forget how he swatted their hands away, and purposefully jogged towards home plate. 

there was no jubilation or exuberance really showing from him - it was more like sweet relief to finally get this thing over with, after all the harrowing and torturous months of bull#### - HE DID IT! 

i'll wrap this up with Vin Scully's words, 'cuz no one ever did it like Vin:

"What a marvelous moment for baseball; what a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia; what a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron ... And for the first time in a long time, that poker face in Aaron shows the tremendous strain and relief of what it must have been like to live with for the past several months."

@Zow

7.8 NCAA Greatest Football Coach - Paul "Bear" Bryant

What impresses me the most of this coach, in a sport I admittedly don't follow as much as I do compared to other sports, and what makes drafts like this worthwhile, is that I never knew now until just how Bear Bryant earned the reputation as the greatest NCAA football coach ever. He won with all white players. He won with a one-platoon roster. He won with intergrated players. He won by running the ball. He won by passing the ball. And he won. A lot. But, in doing so, by all accounts he turned boys into men. Despite being hardnosed, all his former players speak only words of praise for this coaching legend. 

@Ilov80s @Mister CIA

7.8 NCAA Greatest Football Coach - Paul "Bear" Bryant

What impresses me the most of this coach, in a sport I admittedly don't follow as much as I do compared to other sports, and what makes drafts like this worthwhile, is that I never knew now until just how Bear Bryant earned the reputation as the greatest NCAA football coach ever. He won with all white players. He won with a one-platoon roster. He won with intergrated players. He won by running the ball. He won by passing the ball. And he won. A lot. But, in doing so, by all accounts he turned boys into men. Despite being hardnosed, all his former players speak only words of praise for this coaching legend. 

@Ilov80s @Mister CIA
... he did it with developmentally disabled players, too  *GUMP*

I'm working on a write-up, but let's keep this thing moving along.  @Ilov80s is out of pocket I think, but we've batted this pick around a bit and I don't think he will mind.

Greatest Infielder of All-Time:  Mike Schmidt, 3rd baseman, Phillies.  548 homers, 10 Gold Gloves, and 3 MVPs. NL Home run leader 8 times, and RBI leader 4 times.

I'm working on a write-up, but let's keep this thing moving along.  @Ilov80s is out of pocket I think, but we've batted this pick around a bit and I don't think he will mind.

Greatest Infielder of All-Time:  Mike Schmidt, 3rd baseman, Phillies.  548 homers, 10 Gold Gloves, and 3 MVPs. NL Home run leader 8 times, and RBI leader 4 times.
As a young Mets fan growing up near Philly in the 80s and early 90s, I can say with conviction that this has been the first pick of this draft that I really haven't liked. 

7.10.  NBA Greatest Moment or game - Wilt Chamberlain -100 points

Wilt Chamberlain set the single-game scoring record in the National Basketball Association (NBA) by scoring 100 points for the Philadelphia Warriors in a 169–147 win over the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962, at Hershey Sports Arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania. It is widely considered one of the greatest records in basketball. Chamberlain set five other league records that game including most free throws made, a notable achievement, as he was regarded as a poor free throw shooter. The teams broke the record for most combined points in a game (316). That season, Chamberlain averaged a record 50.4 points per game, and he had broken the NBA single-game scoring record (71) earlier in the season in December with 78 points. The third-year center had already set season scoring records in his first two seasons. In the fourth quarter, the Knicks began fouling other players to keep the ball away from Chamberlain, and they also became deliberate on offense to reduce the number of possessions for Philadelphia. The Warriors countered by committing fouls of their own to get the ball back.

The game was not televised, and no video footage of the game has been recovered; there are only audio recordings of the game's fourth quarter.

In three earlier games that week, Chamberlain had scored 67, 65, and 61 points respectively,[5] giving him an already-record 15 times scoring 60 or more points in his career. He was closing in on 4,000 points for the season, needing 237 more; no other player had ever scored 3,000 points at that point.[5] On December 8, 1961, in a triple overtime game versus the Los Angeles Lakers, he set a new NBA record by scoring 78 points, breaking the record of 71 previously set by Elgin Baylor. Legendary Laker broadcaster Chick Hearn often told the story that after the game, he asked Baylor if it bothered him that Chamberlain had an extra 15 minutes to break the record. According to Hearn, Baylor said he wasn't concerned because "someday that guy is going to score 100".[6] Rival center Bill Russell predicted, "[Chamberlain] has the size, strength, and stamina to score one hundred some night."[7] In a high school game in 1955, Chamberlain had scored 90 points in a 123–21 victory. The Philadelphia Inquirer wrote, "Chamberlain might have hit 100 if he had played the entire 32 minutes

Story not vetted for typos and verb/noun agreement, and barely spell-checked.

The day of the Phillies 1980 World Series parade, I hopped off the bus at William Tennent High School in Warminster, PA. My buddy and I wandered into a shockingly near-empty smoking alley. The student body of the school was 3,000, but I would later learn that only 500 were in attendance that day. 

We realized at that point that everyone was going to the parade. Along comes my friend's big brother and sister (they were senior and junior respectively, and we were sophomores) along with his brother's girlfriend, also a senior. Obviously, it took nanoseconds to all agree, let's go to the parade!  Alas, we did not have a car, but that was no problem - We'll hitch a ride. Hitch-hiking, while not common, was not unheard of in the Philly burbs in the 80s. ...but here's the thing: We could not hitch as a group of five. Naturally, the split was the older two girls/boyfriend combo in one corner, and two scrawny punks in the other.

Surprisingly, me and my buddy got picked up by two early-20 ladies on their way to work at a hospital (or they were going to nursing classes, I really can't remember). In a perfect world, this story would have ended without another comment about the Phillies or a parade, but here I am.

So we got dropped off very near the Philadelphia city limit and start walking south on Broad Street. First crossed the 6600 block (I think, details are fuzzy), and several minutes later, we crossed the 6500 block. Not being to map-savvy about the urban lay-out of Philadephia, we asked a store-owner who was sweeping the sidewalk in front to his store, how far is it to Market Street (because we knew we had to get to Broad and Market).  He burst out laughing, and pointed to street sign that said "6500" and said "See that sign?  You have to go all the way to the '0000' block."

Fast forward: we had enough pocket change to take a subway all the way downtown.  And we arrive about 30 minutes before the parade starts. It was electric. Beer everywhere (Schmidt's of course), and joints being passed all around.  Did not drink, but I was taking a big ol' toke when low and behold, Mike Schmidt goes rolling by. At 15, it was kind of surreal seeing a bonafide celebrity that close up.

Parade ends, and then the bad news sets in. We don't have enough pocket change to ride a subway back; we don't even have enough change to unlock a pay-toilet. Me and my young man bladder were okay, but my friend, he resorted to ducking behind a wimpy shrub outside a row house on Broad Street.  If only we had smart phones back in the day. Anyway...

Not so merrily, we go on. Hitch-hiking on Broad Street was not even worth the effort. Being kind of good with numbers, I estimated we'd get home aboyt 8:00 that night and we'd be in a ####load of trouble, WHEN LO AND BEHOLD, a green Ford pick-up passes us, horn a honking, and pulls over on the side of the street to pick us up. The aforementioned two girls and a guy had snared a ride back home, and they saw us walking down the street. We hopped into a bed filled with some kinda dirt/sand that flew in our faces all the way home. 

The story ends, we got dropped off at school and caught our regular (empty) bus home.

6.16: Joe McCarthy, MLB Manager

1926-30 Chicago Cubs
1931-46 New York Yankees
1948-50 Boston Red Sox

Seven World Series titles with New York (AL). One NL pennant with the Cubs, eight AL pennants with the Yankees. Highest regular-season win % all-time in MLB (.615) and won nearly 7 of 10 in the World Series (.698). His teams never had a losing record. 

7.01: 1971–72 UCLA Bruins, NCAA Basketball Team

John Wooden led these national champions that went 30-0 and defeated opponents by over 30 points a game. On their way to Wooden's eighth championship, UCLA downed three Top-10 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Sophomore center Bill Walton and point guard Henry Bibby were first team All-Americans, and Walton took home the Naismith Trophy. Their teammates included three other future NBA/ABA players -- Keith (later Jamaal) Wilkes, Swen Nater, and Greg Lee. Wilkes and Nater later were All-Stars in their respective pro leagues.
UCLA HAS to be up there as best team ever. Period.  Great value. Hard to argue anyone “better” to be honest. 

Not sure who has already been chosen, but he’s not in my top three and it’s not even close.  Top three are in a class unto themselves.  If Shaq has a killer work ethic? Quite possible if not probable he’d be there. 

Not sure who has already been chosen, but he’s not in my top three and it’s not even close.  Top three are in a class unto themselves.  If Shaq has a killer work ethic? Quite possible if not probable he’d be there. 
Agreed on the work ethic.  I probably should have done the other one but I am a Shaq fan so figured I would just pick who I liked.  Plus he still had all the tools and did show what he could do.  Could he have been better? Yes, but then he might have been #1 by a wide margin.

7.11 - Greatest Hockey Team Ever - Category 38

1984-85 Edmonton Oilers

The greatest player of all-time.  6 hall of fame players total and a hall-of-fame coach.  at least 3 other all-star level players

I know their record wasn't as good as the year before, but they were all still in their prime and I feel like they were theoretically more cohesive.

I am too young to have seen the Canadiens and just missed the Islanders dynasty.  As a Flyers' fan, I always hated the Oilers foiling us in the 80s.  They seemed like perhaps the most transcendent sports team ever.  Just magical.

I'm not gonna overthink this.  The greatest NBA player of all-time is still on the board (AND IT'S NOT CLOSE), so I'll go with:

GREATEST GUARD:  Magic Johnson

He did it all, and he did it all against the greatest foil of all-time on a huge stage. His mind-body co-ordination was perfect. 

Anybody can shoot, but can you pass?
I watched this reel and said "what the ####" no less than a half dozen times.

7.12 Yogi Berra, Greatest Catcher

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

You can observe a lot by just watching.

It ain’t over till it’s over.

It’s like déjà vu all over again.

No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

Never answer an anonymous letter.

Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

How can you think and hit at the same time?

The future ain’t what it used to be.

oh yeah, and...

three MVP awards (1951, 1954 and 1955), made 15 All-Star game appearances, caught Don Larsen’s perfect game in the 1956 World Series and boasts an unprecedented 10 World Series rings. Berra was Casey Stengel’s “guy,” appearing as the one consistent player in his lineup. His career numbers: .285 BA, 2,150 hits, 358 home runs and 1,430 RBI.

cue up some Bird and Pistol Pete, as well - you'll keep a oooooohing and a aaaahhhhing for awhile. 
I'm sure. But dude, I could see it in his eyes (when the picture quality was generous enough) that the pass was going to be a masterpiece. Then he'd throw a hammer right into the ground, angling perfectly with the skill of the greatest billiards players ever. The zippy little one taps and no looks were one thing, but those zingers right into the hardwood gave me one in the same.

I watched this reel and said "what the ####" no less than a half dozen times.
cue up some Bird and Pistol Pete, as well - you'll keep a oooooohing and a aaaahhhhing for awhile
I hear you, but Magic did the most with the most. 

If I could be reincarnated with the NBA skills of another player, in order it would be Magic, Bird, and Pistol Pete.  4th place would be a player not yet drafted (not a forward).

I'm sure. But dude, I could see it in his eyes (when the picture quality was generous enough) that the pass was going to be a masterpiece. Then he'd throw a hammer right into the ground, angling perfectly with the skill of the greatest billiards players ever. The zippy little one taps and no looks were one thing, but those zingers right into the hardwood gave me one in the same.
oh, hell yes ... i was not taking anything away from how remarkable Magic was ... just that Larry and Pete have quite the reels themselves. 

@timschochet

I apologize if this came up & I missed it. If someone drafts a player in these categories:

College Football

28. Greatest offensive player 

29. Greatest defensive player 

Men’s College basketball 

32. Greatest player

Does that make them ineligible for the NFL/NBA categories?

@timschochet

I apologize if this came up & I missed it. If someone drafts a player in these categories:

College Football

28. Greatest offensive player 

29. Greatest defensive player 

Men’s College basketball 

32. Greatest player

Does that makes them ineligible for the NFL/NBA categories?
Yes, that was my assumption -- I don"t know if timmy formally announced it though.

Some of these categories set up kinda weird. Oh you selected Willie Mays as the greatest outfielder, I'll take him as the greatest player ever.   ...as an example; same for Babe Ruth, etc.

I hear you, but Magic did the most with the most. 

If I could be reincarnated with the NBA skills of another player, in order it would be Magic, Bird, and Pistol Pete.  4th place would be a player not yet drafted (not a forward).
!SPOILER ALERT!!

Iverson?

Users who are viewing this thread