What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (1 Viewer)

No, but it does help one recover so much better so that he can hit the ball at 100% every time. 

I once played 80 baseball years in the spring/summer (HS, legion, and amateur ball). I played probably ~4 games/week for several months in a row and oftentimes played several consecutive days in a row. I took it seriously as it was the most important thing in my life at that time so I worked out, consumed little to no alcohol, etc. But still, I recall nights where I was just physically tired and my bat speed dipped or my arm hurt or whatever.

Steroids, to me, aren't necessarily about strength and hitting the ball farther, but instead help the most with keeping one at 100% every night and eliminating fatigue from being a factor.  
I won't defend Bonds - guy is an ### and I don't like him.  But I'll defend the pick.  Steroids helped but it helped his contemporaries as well and the dude had hit somewhere around or over 500 HR before any controversy surrounded him (from my recollection).  I think most historians say he's top-10 with the controversy.  Top-3 without.  I think ~20 MLB players had been picked before him.  I have no doubt he's one of the top-20 players all-time.

Ok, just a little bit of fiddling done. Only thing you guys should have to worry about is selecting a draft category from the drop-down and filling out your pick. The other tabs populate on their own.

I won't defend Bonds - guy is an ### and I don't like him.  But I'll defend the pick.  Steroids helped but it helped his contemporaries as well and the dude had hit somewhere around or over 500 HR before any controversy surrounded him (from my recollection).  I think most historians say he's top-10 with the controversy.  Top-3 without.  I think ~20 MLB players had been picked before him.  I have no doubt he's one of the top-20 players all-time.
I should clarify - I'm not criticizing your pick. This was getting to the point where I was considering him, too. Just so difficult to determine where/how to rank giving the steroids issue. 

Barry Bonds was an unsolvable force in a game which finds a solution for everything. never seen nothin' like it, but not a bit of it matters to me anymore

Actually no.  Players have cheated in many different ways since day one.   Pitchers used them also to recover and I agree with your recovery post.
I remember people being befuddled when learning that not popular, not super fit no-name relief pitchers were some of the biggest users. 

IMO they helped relief pitchers the most. 

All of sports. The sports world we know today would not exist if not for Floods stance - and sacrifice. 

Among the most influential moments period. 
I know but there isn't a multiple sport greatest moment.  Hahahhaa

I know but there isn't a multiple sport greatest moment.  Hahahhaa
I’d suggest that a moment which has ramifications beyond that one sport, and furthermore those whose impact reaches well beyond sports, hold that much more weight come judging.

I’d suggest that a moment which has ramifications beyond that one sport, and furthermore those whose impact reaches well beyond sports, hold that much more weight come judging.
I agree......which is why I picked this one..... :thumbup:

kinda thought it should be a moment during the actual playing of said sport....maybe that's just me.
Yeah... I'm torn here because, from a legal perspective, this case is absolutely monumental and changed forever how collective bargaining works. 

I'd also guess that <10% of sports fans know about it. 

Yeah... I'm torn here because, from a legal perspective, this case is absolutely monumental and changed forever how collective bargaining works. 

I'd also guess that <10% of sports fans know about it. 
Which is all the more reason it should be included here.....

9.02 - AFL/NFL Merger - Greatest NFL Moment (Category 26)

Without the merger the NFL is not anywhere the league it is today.  The merger led the biggest sporting event of the year.......the Super Bowl.

@hagmania Looking at our Google sheet ... I see that the category for Greatest soccer player (non goalie) seems to be missing. Something that we did to screw this up? An oversight? Something else?

I'm not sure what happened to the spreadsheet but it's out of order.  @hagmania - before I updated could you maybe take a look.  I don't want to screw it up even further.

ETA - seems to be sorted by Category Name now but the pick numbers are all wrong.

@tuffnutt - you are up

Last edited by a moderator:
9.04 Ty Cobb- Greatest Baseball player (2)

Ty Cobb is the best hitter to every play the game. The Georgia Peach won 12 batting titles o his way to a record .367 career batting average.  He had 23 straight years hitting over .300. He topped .400 3 time!! 

Hes 2nd on the all time hit list with 4,191, 2nd in runs scored (2246), 4th in stolen bases (897) and he could hit hrs too. in 1909 he won the triple crown. He's 4th all time in doubles, 2nd all time in triples, 6th all time in RBIs

he lead the league in hits 8 times and stole home a record 54 times. Great ballplayer horrible human.

@Jagov

9.05 --  RAFAEL “RAFA” NADAL  -- MENS SPORTS, Greatest Tennis Player (45)

Were it not for tendinitis and injuries, Rafa may well have a few more Grand Slam titles to his already impressive resume. At 33 years of age, the fiery Spaniard, known as Rafa and “The King of Clay,” already has 19 Grand Slam titles and certainly has the potential to catch Roger Federer. Rafael is regarded as the greatest clay-court player of all-time. His record 12th French Open title in 2019, in dominating fashion, certainly makes it difficult to imagine anyone being better on clay.

While it is difficult to draw comparisons of players from different generations I think Nadal has proven that he deserves to be considered among the best to ever grace the courts. Winning 2 Grand Slams in 2019, including his gusty, marathon 5-set win at the US Open certainly raises the possibility that he will catch and potentially pass Roger Federer in the coveted race to capture the most Grand Slams titles.

• 84 Career Titles
  • 19 Grand Slam Singles Titles: 1 Australian, 12 French, 4 US Open, 2 Wimbledon
  • 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist
Welcome aboard Rafa !

The Super Bowl existed before the merger.
Incorrect.  The merger happened prior to any AFL-NFL Championship Games (now known as the Super Bowl).  The merger was announced in 1966 and became completed before the 1970 season (see below).  

The AFL–NFL merger was the merger of the two major professional American football leagues in the United States at the time: the National Football League (NFL) and the American Football League (AFL).[1] It paved the way for the combined league, which retained the "National Football League" name and logo, to become one of the most popular sports leagues in the United States. The merger was announced on the evening of June 8, 1966.[2][3][4] Under the merger agreement, the leagues maintained separate regular-season schedules for the next four seasons—from 1966 through 1969—and then officially merged before the 1970 season to form one league with two conferences.

Incorrect.  The merger happened prior to any AFL-NFL Championship Games (now known as the Super Bowl).  The merger was announced in 1966 and became completed before the 1970 season (see below).  

The AFL–NFL merger was the merger of the two major professional American football leagues in the United States at the time: the National Football League (NFL) and the American Football League (AFL).[1] It paved the way for the combined league, which retained the "National Football League" name and logo, to become one of the most popular sports leagues in the United States. The merger was announced on the evening of June 8, 1966.[2][3][4] Under the merger agreement, the leagues maintained separate regular-season schedules for the next four seasons—from 1966 through 1969—and then officially merged before the 1970 season to form one league with two conferences.
Well, the merger was announced, but it didn't actually happen.

(i just don't want my SB III pick to have any shine taken off of it...)

Were it not for tendinitis and injuries, Rafa may well have a few more Grand Slam titles to his already impressive resume. At 33 years of age, the fiery Spaniard, known as Rafa and “The King of Clay,” already has 19 Grand Slam titles and certainly has the potential to catch Roger Federer. Rafael is regarded as the greatest clay-court player of all-time. His record 12th French Open title in 2019, in dominating fashion, certainly makes it difficult to imagine anyone being better on clay.

While it is difficult to draw comparisons of players from different generations I think Nadal has proven that he deserves to be considered among the best to ever grace the courts. Winning 2 Grand Slams in 2019, including his gusty, marathon 5-set win at the US Open certainly raises the possibility that he will catch and potentially pass Roger Federer in the coveted race to capture the most Grand Slams titles.

• 84 Career Titles
Welcome aboard Rafa !
good pick

Well, the merger was announced, but it didn't actually happen.

(i just don't want my SB III pick to have any shine taken off of it...)
Hahaha.  And I am trying to take the shine off.....hahaa.  it happened because they started playing the championship game between the leagues that eventually became the Super Bowl.  The SB III moment is what legitimized the AFL so it does have it's own merit.....haha

thought you were gonna go old Euro for your tennis pick and was prepared to refute you. i dont think the Big 3 21st C male tennis players are appreciated for how unprecedented they are. there are no significant training differences between the 70s & 80s and now and i'm not questioning the hearts of those ol champions, but today's guys would smokeshow em all

• 84 Career Titles
Welcome aboard Rafa !
if we redo this draft in 5 or 10 years, Nadal may also qualify as "Greatest Horse" ... who knows? 

:shrug:

🐎

thought you were gonna go old Euro for your tennis pick and was prepared to refute you. i dont think the Big 3 21st C male tennis players are appreciated for how unprecedented they are. there are no significant training differences between the 70s & 80s and now and i'm not questioning the hearts of those ol champions, but today's guys would smokeshow em all
Back in the day I really dug me some men's tennis. And there were some old euro types on them courts. I do agree that you could send Rog or Nadal back in a time machine and they would crush it. Even with wooden rackets!

Something is wrong with the spreadsheet. It has Category 59 as "ALL TIME - All around Greatest Athlete" and category 60 as "All around greatest athlete of all time"

Definitely. 

I've stayed away from this category because, like the goalie category, I think there's a grouping at the top and therefore the "draft value" isn't quite there like in other categories. But, yeah, the guys in that group are incredibly good - especially today's "big 3."

AAABatteries said:
This is a good take, and pretty much aligned with where my thoughts on on the matter.

The biggest shame is that a top 10 player - and all around player at that - who not only took roids, but did so with the very competitiveness and eye for every damn detail that Bonds had for everything else baseball resulted not in an even better player. He broke the damn game.

Suddenly 52 HRs and a .680 slugging looked only very good. 

• 84 Career Titles
Welcome aboard Rafa !
Really good pick. He is essentially almost, if not, on par with Federer who went a while ago.  Pretty amazing what we have today in terms of some of the absolute if not greatest ever tennis players playing at the same time, against one another.

Cant give extra-credit for most the brilliantly-integrated cheating and no one can say how everthing else would have worked without it. Bonds did break the game. He also broke the criteria for making a positive judgement upon him. And I have steroid-users on my radar as possible baseball picks

9.06 - Ray Bourque - Best NHL Defensemen

I have other favorites in this category who should make this list, but I have to admit, they are not as good as Ray was. 

From wiki: He currently holds records for most career goals, assists, and points by a defenceman in the National Hockey League (NHL). He won the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's best defensemen five times, while finishing second for that trophy a further six times. He also twice finished second in the voting for the Hart Memorial Trophy, a rarity for a defenceman. He was named to the end-of-season All-Star teams 19 times, 13 on the first-team and six on the second-team.

2001 Miami Hurricanes: Greatest College Football Team Season - Category 31

ya want talent? let's start in the backfield ...

Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore, Najeh (Plop,Plop!) Davenport. 

QB Ken Dorsey won the Maxwell Award, and had Andre Johnson, Jeremy Shockey, and Kellen Winslow II to toss to. 

T Brian McKinnie won the Outland. 

the defense was peppered with future NFL players such as Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma, Philip Buchannon, Ed Reed, Andre Rolle, Sean Taylor ... stacked!

ya want dominance?

they went undefeated, and their average game score was 42-9.  must've been a buncha cupcakes, right?

not quite ... half of their victories came vs teams ranked in the top 25: #8 Nebraska (37-14), #14 Syracuse (59-0), #15 FSU (49-27), #18 Va. Tech (26-24), #19 Washington (65-7), #21 B.C. (18-7).

this was the first season under Larry Coker, who righted this powerhouse ship PD f'n Q after the Butch Davis debacle. 

GO 'CANES!

@Zow

Users who are viewing this thread