What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (1 Viewer)

Great soccer goal scorer and I understand the selection. He'll certainly score points in this category. Unfortunately, he is a 12 year old whiny girl inside an adult male body. Cry, dive, flop, etc. In my personal top 3 of folks I regularly hope breaks a leg. With him on your squad you'll be spending quite alot on tampons  :)  
this post seems whiny

Rd 10 Best NBA Center- Tim Duncan

Let's first address the obvious, Tim Duncan was a center. He played center for 10 years. He played C at Wake Forest. If the Spurs didn't have another guy there, he would have been listed as a center his whole career. If came into the league now, he certainly would be playing center.

Steve Kerr said he was a center. 

Shaq said he was a center. 

Pops said he a center

The Duncan dilemma solved for our draft. He was a center who happened to play "power forward" for awhile because that's what the team needed and NBA doesn't seem to allow for starting 2 centers. 

His bonafides are obvious: 5 time NBA champ, 2 time MVP, 3 time Finals MVP, 15 times All Star and the only player selected to the All Offensive and All Defensive Teams for 13 consecutive seasons. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's first address the obvious, Tim Duncan was a center. He played center for 10 years. He played C at Wake Forest. If the Spurs didn't have another guy there, he would have been listed as a center his whole career. If came into the league now, he certainly would be playing center.

Pops said he a center

The Duncan dilemma solved for our draft. He was a center who happened to play power forward for awhile because that's what the team needed.

His bonafides are obvious: 5 time NBA champ, 2 time MVP, 3 time Finals MVP, 15 times All Star and the only player selected to the All Offensive and All Defensive Teams for 13 consecutive seasons. 
how many times was he considered a centro on the all-nba teams?

Pops said he a center

The Duncan dilemma solved for our draft. He was a center who happened to play power forward for awhile because that's what the team needed.

This was the other one...

Per basketball-refence Duncan played 72% of his minutes at the center position. This was a significant factor in me pulling the trigger on Lebron so early - because Duncan shouldn't be considered in that group. 

Pops said he a center

Also, you failed to mention:

Duncan enjoys Renaissance fairs and the fantasy role playing game Dungeons & Dragons.

The NBA literally changed their All Star rules because of him. They called it the "Duncan dilemma" and removed the labels forward and center to instead make it "front court".  So I don't think the distinction really matters. In 2003, he made the 1st team All NBA a long with Shaq and KG. Which one of those 3 was a center, which was the PF and which was the SF?

Pops said he a center

The Duncan dilemma solved for our draft. He was a center who happened to play "power forward" for awhile because that's what the team needed and NBA doesn't seem to allow for starting 2 centers. 

Since I already had a center I was going to take him with my next pick as my forward to keep him out of someone else's center spot.  Nice pick.

10.9 Greatest NFL Team - 1972 Dolphins

They were undefeated. No other team has ever been and probably never willl. Nufced :popschampagnecork:

The NBA literally changed their All Star rules because of him. They called it the "Duncan dilemma" and removed the labels forward and center to instead make it "front court".  So I don't think the distinction really matters. In 2003, he made the 1st team All NBA a long with Shaq and KG. Which one of those 3 was a center, which was the PF and which was the SF?
Shaq - C

Duncan - PF

Garnett - SF

Pops said he a center

My next pick ARGH!!! nice job!!

Pops said he a center

wouldnt defend Shaq - NOT a center

Eddie Arcaro: Greatest Jockey - Category 51

MIO PAISAN!

the Joe Dimaggio of "The Sport of Kings" 

still the winner of more stakes races than any jockey in history:

Kentucky Derby (5)
Preakness Stakes (6)
Belmont Stakes (6) 

Jockey Club Gold Cup (10)
Juvenile Stakes (7)
National Stallion Stakes (7)
Wood Memorial Stakes (9)
Suburban Handicap (8)
Withers Stakes (6)
Kentucky Oaks (4)

only cat to ever win the Triple Crown twice - aboard all time greats Whirlaway in 1941, and Citation in '48.

tied with Bill Hartack for most Kentucky Derby wins (5), and his 6 wins in both the Preakness and Belmont are still records.

he retired prematurely at age 45 as the (then) career leader in wins and earnings.

nobody won more when it mattered most - clutch and intuitive, a "money" cat if ever there was one.

in the irons on some of the most storied horses of the era, along with a few all timers: Whirlaway, Citation, Ponder, Hoop Jr., Challedon, Kelso, Nashua, Mark-Ye-Well, Hill Prince, Bold Ruler, Sword Dancer, Real Delight.

instrumental in establishing the Jockey's Guild after his retirement, giving the lil' fellas a long overdue leg up  :thumbup:

wouldnt defend Shaq - NOT a center
Not too many teams are lucky enough to have 2 Hall of Fame Centers on their roster. If Shaq says he is a center, I take his word for it. Plus Shaq once said of Duncan,  "he's the only player in the NBA I am competing with". 

Not too many teams are lucky enough to have 2 Hall of Fame Centers on their roster. If Shaq says he is a center, I take his word for it. Plus Shaq once said of Duncan,  "he's the only player in the NBA I am competing with". 
wouldnt defend Shaq - a chicken####ness which broke my heart at the time. coinflip w Bird for the best fwd ever, was my backup if Tyson or Mantle got sniped. NOT a center. #16 if i were judging

shaq says a million idiotic things all the time

Controversial I'm sure, but:

10.06 - MLB Greatest Infielder - Alex Rodriguez

He's a complicated man and no one understands him but J-Lo.

From Joe Posnanski:

Hide contents
Let’s begin with how Allard Baird saw him.

Baird is one of the most admired and remarkable talent evaluators in all of baseball. He’s now the New York Mets’ assistant general manager for scouting and player development, and for more than a decade, he did the same for the Boston Red Sox as they won three World Series titles. Before that, he worked his way up from a low-level scout who lived out of his car to the general manager of the Kansas City Royals.

Baird saw him in the early days, those 200,000-mile-a-year days when Baird fueled on fast food and hope and followed the lights from small town to small town in search of a ballplayer. He didn’t fully know what he was doing yet. He was still learning how to judge a young player’s potential, and he was learning how on the famous 20-to-80 scouting scale. You probably know the scout’s scale better than I do, but just in case: Scouts rate players on five tools (hitting, power, defense, speed and arm) on a 20-to-80 scale.*

*Scouts do more than this, particularly now, but the 20-to-80 scale on five tools is remarkably durable.

The scale itself works like so:

20 means poor.  There are not many players with 20 tools in the big leagues. Maybe the single slowest player in the big leagues (Albert Pujols now?) would be a 20 speed.

30: Well below average. Someone who would hit fewer than five homers in a full season has 30 power.

40: Below average. Pretty self-explanatory.

50: Average. Pretty self-explanatory.

60: Above average or in scout terms, “Plus.” If someone is an above-average defender but perhaps not quite Gold Glove elite, you might put a 60 on their defense.

70: Well above average or “Plus-Plus.” Walker Buehler has a plus-plus fastball. Cody Bellinger has plus-plus power. And so on.

80: OK, now we’re getting into some inexact territory. I’ve heard some scouts refer to an 80 tool as “Hall of Fame” level. I’ve heard others say that it’s even better than that — it’s the best of the best of the best. So basically an 80 for each tool would be:

Hitting: Ted Williams

Power: Babe Ruth

Speed: Rickey Henderson

Defense: Ozzie Smith

Arm: Roberto Clemente

The point I’m trying to get at is that, for someone scouting a high school game, an 80 is no-go territory. You just don’t give them out. What is the likelihood that you’re going to see a high school player who could throw like Clemente or hit like Williams? Right: It’s less than zero. Baird had been scouting for a while, and he had never once given out an 80. He’d hardly ever given out any 70s.

And then came to the day he went to see Westminster Christian School play so he could get a look at the junior shortstop they had there. Baird didn’t go unprepared: He knew that this kid was talented. He was the talk of the scouting community and had been for a while. But Baird had not yet seen him up close.

And what he saw? He’s never forgotten it. He never will.

First Baird watched the kid take some groundballs before the game … and he couldn’t believe his eyes. That balance! That range! That quickness! The ball just seemed to stick to his glove, and then he would transfer it to his throwing hand so fast that Baird felt like a sucker in a three-card monte exhibition. It was utterly incredible. This 16-year-old kid, Baird thought, could hold his own at shortstop in the big leagues immediately.

Then there was that arm! It was more amazing than the fielding. Baird had never seen anything like it. This kid just flicked his wrist and the ball turned into a laser beam shooting across the infield.

That was the first time Baird thought: Holy cow, this kid has an 80 arm.

Hitting? That’s Baird’s specialty. He has studied the human body, looked hard into movement and rhythm and weight shifts, man, that stuff thrills him. How the arms come through. How the legs power the swing. The hands. Baird could talk all day and night just about the hitter’s hands.

He watched this kid swing the bat and … his jaw dropped. It was perfect. He had never seen a better high school hitting stroke. He had never dreamed of seeing a better high school hitting stroke.

The power was easy. The kid hit two home runs that day, both of them absolute bombs.

The speed was easy. The kid stole two bases that day, one of them standing up (this after one of two intentional walks). The kid was 35-for-35 in stolen bases that season.

It didn’t seem real. But as impressive as those tools were, there was something else that Baird saw, something that blew his mind: The kid played baseball with such infectious delight. Scouts, if they’re good, look for so many things. They look to see how a player responds to teammates (this kid was in the front of the dugout cheering them on). They look to see how teammates respond to the player (they so obviously loved this kid, they met him at home plate happily after each home run). They look to see if the player is coachable. This kid seemed utterly coachable.

You just don’t see a player like this. Not ever.

Baird left that game and headed back to send in his report. But he felt dizzy. No, it was like he felt like Jack from the beanstalk story — who would ever believe he’d seen an actual giant? As he looked at the report where he was supposed to fill out those numbers, he honestly did not know what to do. And then he realized that he had no choice: If he wanted to be a good scout, he had to be entirely honest.

And so he put an 80 on the kid’s arm, an 80 on the kid’s power, and an 80 on his hitting talent.

He put 70 on his speed and defense.

He had never expected to send in a report like that. And he never would again.

And when Allard Baird finally faxed in his scouting report on Alex Rodriguez, he was literally shaking.

There’s no point in trying to clean up Alex Rodriguez’s brilliant, infuriating, dazzling, inauthentic, breathtaking, destructive and altogether messy baseball career. No point at all. It’s all there. And it’s everything.

A-Rod is the power hitter of his time. For 20 years, he seemed certain to break the all-time home run record. Even in falling short, he hit 696 home runs.

He’s also a liar who was suspended for an entire year for using PEDs (this after threatening to sue Major League Baseball).

A-Rod is a Yankees postseason hero, a guy who carried the Yanks to their last World Series title in 2009, almost by himself.

He’s also a multi-time Yankees postseason goat who inspires more fury among New York baseball fans than anyone in the team’s history.

A-Rod is a player who broke the bank and also a player who tried to give up the money to try and win some love. He’s a Gold Glove shortstop who gave up the position for a player who was not, by any measure, his defensive equal.

He’s a three-time MVP who spent a baseball lifetime hitting lazy-looking fly balls that sent outfielders to the wall with hope, only to keep on going and going, like children leaving for college, soaring so far out of reach. Nobody hit a baseball quite like him, balls that would never come down, balloons being taken by the wind.

He’s also a tabloid back-page punchline, being fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz, hobnobbing with Madonna, being labeled “A-Fraud” in headlines so often that at some point that became his name.

He’s a player who talked again and again about how much he loved the game.

He’s a player who so rarely seemed to be enjoying himself on the field.

He’s a player with more wins above replacement than any position player of the last 50 years who is not named Barry Bonds.

He is a player who, it has been reported, has not one but two paintings of himself as a centaur.

How can you clean up the A-Rod story? Which parts would you leave out?

Sure, the people who loathe him — so, so many of those — would happily leave out the extraordinary ballplayer, the incredible defense, the untouchable arm, the breathtaking power, the stunning speed. They would happily write him out of baseball history. That would be convenient … but impossible. Try this experiment: Think of the first person who comes to mind when I say: “Five-tool player.”

I tried this on Twitter and maybe 50 or so names came up, not counting various jokey choices like lovable slugger Steve Balboni.

The players named most were: Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Trout, Mickey Mantle, Barry Bonds, Clemente, Henderson, Henry Aaron, Larry Walker, Bo Jackson, Eric Davis.

All of them are wonderful choices, wonderful players, but you do notice the thing they all share, right? They were all outfielders. And that makes them fundamentally different from A-Rod. Could Bo or Davis hit like A-Rod even at their best? Could Bonds throw like A-Rod? Could Griffey or Aaron or Walker run like A-Rod? Could Rickey or Clemente slug like A-Rod? Could Mantle or Trout field like A-Rod?

Even Mays — the ultimate of the ultimate five-tool players — could he play shortstop like A-Rod?

No, he’s alone in this game. There has never been a player with so much breathtaking skill.

Alex Rodriguez was 20 years old when he had a season for the ages. He hit .358 and led the league in runs (141), doubles (54) and total bases (379). He also hit 36 home runs, drove in 123 runs, stole 15 bases and played a superior shortstop.

He created 157 runs that season. It was the most runs created for a shortstop since … ever.

Most runs created for a shortstop through 1996:

Alex Rodriguez, 1996, 157

Arky Vaughan, 1935, 147

Alan Trammell, 1987, 137

Robin Yount, 1982, 136

Ernie Banks, 1958, 135

It was also the most runs created in a season for a 20-year-old — and it still is. Even Mike Trout at 20 did not surpass it. A-Rod just lost the MVP that year to Juan González in one of the worst MVP voting blunders in baseball history (though you could make a solid argument that Griffey should have won it over González, too).

Two years later, at age 22, A-Rod became the first — and still the only — player in baseball history to have a 42-42 season, that being 42 homers and 42 stolen bases. He also led the league in hits, in WAR, he scored 123 runs, drove in 124 runs, he played superb defense again, and this time he finished ninth in the MVP voting, which again, bizarrely, went to González — voters loved Juan Gone and RBIs in those days.

González’s combined WAR in his two MVP years was not as high as A-Rod’s WAR at age 20.

Two years after that, A-Rod had perhaps his best season. He hit .316/.420/.606 with 41 homers, 134 runs and 132 RBIs, he should have won the Gold Glove at shortstop and was by all the measurements one of the best baserunners in the game.*

*A-Rod’s speed and baserunning savvy always were wildly underappreciated. He took the extra base like few others. He scored from second on a single 16 out of 19 times that year. He scored from first on a double 11 out of 19 times.
From a baseball perspective, I have to view him through a similar lens as I do Bonds... HoFer regardless, and with his fragile constitution and personality, the backlash from roids etc. may have ended up curtailing and hurting his overall numbers to some degree. That said, he's a top five ever middle infielder (hard to have infielders listed as if 1B is the same as the others. Just a lot more offensive minded, defensive average to lacking players over there)

ETA: My tied for #2 ever middle infielder still out there I believe.

10.11 - 1998 New York Yankees - Greatest Baseball Team

Going to go with a favorite, and a little recency bias as well.

114 regular season wins. 125 overall.

Two first ballot hall of famers who, combined, had one person not vote for them.

A slew of "Hall of Very Good" guys in O'Neil, Bernie, Posada, plus 3/5 of the starting staff (Petite, Wells, Cone.... plus for a few years, El Duque was like that too).

Awesome pen, with Nelson and Stanton setting up for Mo. So many great role players like Tino, Brosius, and a resurgent Strawberry. This team's grinders would out-machine the Big Red Machine, and their staff/bullpen was much better. My #1 of all time, but I would not argue the 27' Yankees being ranked higher. But that's about it - we'll see what the judges say.

10.11 - 1998 New York Yankees - Greatest Baseball Team

Going to go with a favorite, and a little recency bias as well.

114 regular season wins. 125 overall.

Two first ballot hall of famers who, combined, had one person not vote for them.

A slew of "Hall of Very Good" guys in O'Neil, Bernie, Posada, plus 3/5 of the starting staff (Petite, Wells, Cone.... plus for a few years, El Duque was like that too).

Awesome pen, with Nelson and Stanton setting up for Mo. So many great role players like Tino, Brosius, and a resurgent Strawberry. This team's grinders would out-machine the Big Red Machine, and their staff/bullpen was much better. My #1 of all time, but I would not argue the 27' Yankees being ranked higher. But that's about it - we'll see what the judges say.
Nice choice. They're a sneaky possible best overall choice for their category - which presents great value in round 10. 

10.12 --  ANDERSON “THE SPIDER” DA SILVA  -- MENS SPORTS, Greatest UFC Fighter (42)

The absolute best martial artist to ever step in the octagon. No other fighter has consistently made talented competition look so average. 

Even though da Silva was a high level black belt in Jiu Jitsu, it was his striking skills that made him excel in the UFC octagon. In his prime, Anderson’s standup skills were so far above anyone else in his division that he often played with his opponent. He incorporated Muay Thai fundamentals like clinches, knees and elbows during his fights and did it all while looking smooth and effortless. Furthermore, Anderson’s counter striking was top notch and made a lot of his opponents look like fools as they continuously whiff on their punches. The best example of this is Anderson’s fight with Forrest Griffin, a former UFC champion, where Forrest was so embarrassed by what occurred that he ran out of the octagon shortly after recovering from being knocked out. With all the talent he demonstrated in the ring, Anderson’s playfulness and the way he would mock his opponent and back himself up against the cage showed his boldness and lack of fear. Plus, no one could forget his matrix like ability to dodge strikes and return fire immediately.

He holds the record for the longest title reign in UFC history at 2,457 days. This started in 2006 and ended in 2013 and included a UFC record 16 consecutive victories in that span. UFC president Dana White, UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and numerous mixed martial arts (MMA) analysts have named da Silva the greatest UFC fighter of all time.

Welcome aboard Spider !  I believe that you are the clear cut #1 in this category.

10.12 --  ANDERSON “THE SPIDER” DA SILVA  -- MENS SPORTS, Greatest UFC Fighter (42)

The absolute best martial artist to ever step in the octagon. No other fighter has consistently made talented competition look so average. 

Even though da Silva was a high level black belt in Jiu Jitsu, it was his striking skills that made him excel in the UFC octagon. In his prime, Anderson’s standup skills were so far above anyone else in his division that he often played with his opponent. He incorporated Muay Thai fundamentals like clinches, knees and elbows during his fights and did it all while looking smooth and effortless. Furthermore, Anderson’s counter striking was top notch and made a lot of his opponents look like fools as they continuously whiff on their punches. The best example of this is Anderson’s fight with Forrest Griffin, a former UFC champion, where Forrest was so embarrassed by what occurred that he ran out of the octagon shortly after recovering from being knocked out. With all the talent he demonstrated in the ring, Anderson’s playfulness and the way he would mock his opponent and back himself up against the cage showed his boldness and lack of fear. Plus, no one could forget his matrix like ability to dodge strikes and return fire immediately.

He holds the record for the longest title reign in UFC history at 2,457 days. This started in 2006 and ended in 2013 and included a UFC record 16 consecutive victories in that span. UFC president Dana White, UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and numerous mixed martial arts (MMA) analysts have named da Silva the greatest UFC fighter of all time.

Welcome aboard Spider !  I believe that you are the clear cut #1 in this category.
I was between him and the '72 Dolphins. I don't think he's clear cut the best but he's definitely in the discussion - which is why he's great value here. 

10.13 Greatest NFL Running Back (17) Emmitt Smith

Emmitt Smith should be on everyones short list of GOAT's at this position. He is the all time leader in Rushing yards (18,355) Rushing TDs(164) He's 2nd in total TDs with 175. He's 1 of only 4 players to amass 21,000 yards from scrimmage. He has the record for most 1000 season with 11. He has the record of 100 yards games with 78.

Smith also accumulated several NFL postseason records, including rushing touchdowns (19), consecutive games with a rushing touchdown (9), and 100-yard rushing games (7). His 1,586 yards rushing is also top on the NFL postseason chart, and he shares the total playoff touchdown mark of 21 with Thurman Thomas. With the Cowboys, Smith won three Super Bowl rings and rushed for over 100 yards in two of those games.

Smith is the only running back to ever win a Super Bowl championship, the NFL Most Valuable Player award, the NFL rushing crown, and the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player award all in the same season (1993).

He is 1 of only 2 non kickers  to score over 1000 points.

While many of his will knock Emmitt on his lack of flash and athletic explosiveness, I loved him as a grind it out and put the team on his back type of workhorse. That was highlighted on January 2nd 1994 against the Giants when he had 229 total yards with a separated shoulder. Welcome to the team Emmitt!

@AAABatteries

10.14 - Dean Smith - NCAAB - Greatest Coach

@Gally - you're up

ETA - will try to do a write-up later on most of my picks - too busy with work to do it now

11.02 - Vladislav Tretiak -  Greatest Goaltender (Category 37)

Based on the ruling put forth for Josh Gibson being eligible in the MLB category I am going to assume this would count as well for Tretiak who was the best goalie in the world throughout the 1970's and early 80's earning 3 Olympic Gold Medals and 1 Silver (1980 where if he would have not been pulled the Miracle on Ice may never have happened and he would have gotten his 4th gold medal).  He performed well in all exhibition games vs NHL all stars and was drafted by Montreal but was not able to play due to the Russian Government blocking his move.  He was also the first player that was born and trained outside of North America to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.  He is definitely on par with Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur at the top of the Goalie Mountain.

Users who are viewing this thread