What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (1 Viewer)

Oh, of note, my wife and I are spending three days away tomorrow for our anniversary. She actually likes this draft and thinks it's cool so I should be able to keep picking but I won't be as readily availability. Tim, you have my number so please text. 

Oh, of note, my wife and I are spending three days away tomorrow for our anniversary. She actually likes this draft and thinks it's cool so I should be able to keep picking but I won't be as readily availability. Tim, you have my number so please text. 
Ummm...where are you going?

The Duncan at center is a heck of a wrench, IMO.  As the judge for NBA centers, I will actually have to do some thinking on this now.
Pops said he was a center, Shaq said he was a center, Kerr said he was a center. The NBA even changed their all star voting system because they knew he was a center. The Spurs started 2 centers for a stretch but some rigid NBA terminology forced them to refer to one of them as power forward when in fact he was a center. Ofcourse I’m biased since I made the pick lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
11.04 Randy Moss- Greatest WR (18)

"Randy Moss is the most physically gifted receiver in the history of the game," said former NFL head coach Brian Billick. "We have never had nor will we ever see another wide receiver with the speed, leaping ability, hands and burst of Randy Moss."

Moss is the only receiver other than Jerry Rice to notch 10 seasons of 1,000-plus yards—one of which happened during an Offensive Rookie of the Year effort in 1998.

The six-time Pro Bowler and four-time All-Pro ranks second in touchdowns (156) and fourth in receiving yards (15,292).

He had 29 TDs of over 50 or more yards.

• Owns the league’s single-season record for receiving touchdowns with 23 in 2007.

• Has the single-season rookie record for receiving TD, 17 in 1998.

• Only players in NFL history who have scored more touchdowns than Moss’ 154: Rice (205), Emmitt Smith (175), LaDainian Tomlinson (159) and Owens (156).

@Jagov

Ummm...where are you going?
Every year we do our anniversary trip in Sedona. Usually that entails going to nice restaurants, vineyards, etc. Family member watches the kids. This year we will staying in a vrbo that we'll immediately disinfect like crazy and then will be watching a ton of netflix and eating COVID compliant takeout and drinking wine from covid compliant vineyards sans kids. 

The bold is really the goal of all this. 

But, it's one of the few times per year my wife makes me ignore work and sports to the extent I can. 

Again, he played 72% of the time at center...

Pops said he was a center, Shaq said he was a center, Kerr said he was a center. The NBA even changed their all star voting system because they knew he was a center. The Spurs started 2 centers for a stretch but some rigid NBA terminology forced them to refer to one of them as power forward when in fact he was a center. Ofcourse I’m biased since I made the pick lol. 
Yeah, yeah, yeah....and Magic "played center" when Kareem was hurt and PJ Tucker is a "center" and LeBron is playing "point guard" this year.

The great ones just play and let us figure these kinds of meaningless things out.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....and Magic "played center" when Kareem was hurt and PJ Tucker is a "center" and LeBron is playing "point guard" this year.

The great ones just play and let us figure these kinds of meaningless things out.
 Of course you are the judge so you will sort it out! Just trying to defend my pick and add some fun to the draft.

Of course you are the judge so you will sort it out! Just trying to defend my pick and add some fun to the draft.
I love it actually.  That is what makes these things fun.  I was just making a counterpoint for the fun of it.

And rest assured, I will not discount his game, he will just be stacked up against centers instead of forwards. Timmy is one of my favorite all time players and I value him very highly.

I was looking at Eck or Dean Smith here but they are now gone. Still able to add value to the team with this gal me thinks.

11.05 --  DIANA TAURASI  -- WOMENS SPORTS, Greatest Basketball Player (53)

Taurasi is probably the greatest female basketball player of all time. Her penchant for scoring in crucial situations earned her the nickname "White Mamba", given to her by Kobe Bryant himself. Diana won at ALL levels she competed in. Have a look at this resume:

High School

• Recipient of the 2000 Cheryl Miller Award for best player in Southern California
  • Named the 2000 Naismith and Parade Magazine National High School Player of the Year
  • 1999 & 2000 Ms. Basketball State Player of the Year
  • Finished her high school career ranked fourth in state history with 3,047 points
  • Named a WBCA All-American
  • Participated in the 2000 WBCA High School All-America Game and won the MVP award 
College

• Led UConn to three consecutive NCAA championships
  • 2003 & 2004 Naismith College Player of the Year awards
  • 2003 Wade Trophy
  • 2003 Associated Press Player of the Year award
  • During her time at UConn, her team compiled a 139-8 record 
Professional

• WNBA Rookie of the Year Award (2004)
  • 3 WNBA Championships (2007, 2009, and 2014)
  • 1 WNBA Most Valuable Player Award (2009)
  • 2 WNBA Finals MVP Awards (2009 and 2014)
  • 5 WNBA Scoring Titles (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011)
  • 9 WNBA All-Star team selections
  • 10 All-WNBA team selections
  • WNBA All-Time leading scorer
International

• 4 Olympic gold medals (2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016)
  • 3 FIBA World Cups (2010, 2014, and 2018) 
It wouldn’t surprise me to discover that she has also won TV game shows, bingo games and Monopoly tourneys. A winner pur sang!

Welcome aboard Diana !

11.06 - Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose - Greatest Baseball Player

I loved watching Pete Rose play. Nobody got more out of his talent, and nobody loved playing more either. I remember when he was with the Phillies, and that World Series against the Royals. He played first, and whenever the third out was a throw to first, he'd sprint across and spike the baseball near the mound, as if to say "take THAT". Dude was just a winner.

Incredibly, he played SIX positions. Games at each:

1B - 939
2B - 628
3B - 634
LF - 673
CF - 73
RF - 590

17× All-Star (1965, 1967–1971, 1973–1982, 1985)

3× World Series champion (1975, 1976, 1980)

NL MVP (1973)

World Series MVP (1975)

NL Rookie of the Year (1963)

2× Gold Glove Award (1969, 1970)

Silver Slugger Award (1981)

3× NL batting champion (1968, 1969, 1973)

4,256 career hits

related

Nice pick. Used to crack me up as a kid he would sprint to first base after drawing a walk. Every other no talent kid playing LL wanted to be like Charlie Hustle.

"THE CATCH" 1982 NFC Championship Game - Greatest NFL Moment 

was Montana really tossing it outta the EZ? so many said that he was ... then here comes Dwight Clark cruising the back of the end zone, leaping over Everson Walls up to the clouds, aaaaand TD!

the 49ers later released practice footage of them actually working a play similar to this, so - chances are it was actually a designed fire drill. 

they got the ball on their own 11 yd line, down 27-21, with roughly 5 minutes left ... Montana moved them surgically down the field, aided by great playcalling, catching Dallas in prevent mode and running it down their throats quite effectively. 

there was no Jerry Rice or John Taylor or Roger Craig - this was Solomon and Clark and Elliot and Cooper and Ring - and, of course, Joe Cool and Walsh. 

Landry's Cowboys were the most consistent winners of the 15 years prior, and this game was the changing of the guard.

unlike the "Immaculate Reception" this play catapulted the 'Niners to the Super Bowl that year, which they eventually won (would be a couple more years after the IR for the Steelers to win their first).

both plays ushered in the new dynasties, and the teams of their respective decades, but only one culminated in a SB 'chip the year it happened. 

this was all about establishing Walsh and Montana as the pinnacle pair of the game.  Joe's cool in directing this drive would be repeated so many times, but this was the first professional glimpse at his resiliency.  and Walsh called a great set of plays ... watch that drive again and see how much running yardage they ripped off in chunks due to Dallas in dime packages.  

still can't believe he caught it - i mean, ya watch the replay, and you know it's coming ... but it's still unbelievable. Lewis and Too Tall bearing down on Montana, the ball floating up to the heavens- then ... CLARK! BOOM!

@Zow

jwb said:
11.06 - Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose - Greatest Baseball Player
Nice ... I had him targeted for round 13. Thought he would fall that far due to the controversy. Prime value here I think.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
otb_lifer said:

"THE CATCH" 1982 NFC Championship Game - Greatest NFL Moment 

was Montana really tossing it outta the EZ? so many said that he was ... then here comes Dwight Clark cruising the back of the end zone, leaping over Everson Walls up to the clouds, aaaaand TD!

the 49ers later released practice footage of them actually working a play similar to this, so - chances are it was actually a designed fire drill. 

they got the ball on their own 11 yd line, down 27-21, with roughly 5 minutes left ... Montana moved them surgically down the field, aided by great playcalling, catching Dallas in prevent mode and running it down their throats quite effectively. 

there was no Jerry Rice or John Taylor or Roger Craig - this was Solomon and Clark and Elliot and Cooper and Ring - and, of course, Joe Cool and Walsh. 

Landry's Cowboys were the most consistent winners of the 15 years prior, and this game was the changing of the guard.

unlike the "Immaculate Reception" this play catapulted the 'Niners to the Super Bowl that year, which they eventually won (would be a couple more years after the IR for the Steelers to win their first).

both plays ushered in the new dynasties, and the teams of their respective decades, but only one culminated in a SB 'chip the year it happened. 

this was all about establishing Walsh and Montana as the pinnacle pair of the game.  Joe's cool in directing this drive would be repeated so many times, but this was the first professional glimpse at his resiliency.  and Walsh called a great set of plays ... watch that drive again and see how much running yardage they ripped off in chunks due to Dallas in dime packages.  

still can't believe he caught it - i mean, ya watch the replay, and you know it's coming ... but it's still unbelievable. Lewis and Too Tall bearing down on Montana, the ball floating up to the heavens- then ... CLARK! BOOM!

@Zow
first four-figure cash of my sports-betting career sealed by that catch. gave $600 of it back cuz i busted my hand on the ceiling when i jumped up in celebration. the vig'll eat you up, i tellya...

Nice ... I had him targeted for round 13. Thought he would fall that far due to the controversy. Prime value here I think.
It's funny - his controversy made me not really think of him until now, but his controversy is really nothing like the PED guys. The PED guys stats are in question. Rose's aren't, although his managerial record is definitely tarnished (because even if he bet on his team to win like he says, you could argue the bet made him do things he might not otherwise do - overuse a reliever, etc.) 

11.8 Greatest NHL Goaltenders - Jacques Plante

To me there's a big four in this category and I'll happily grab the last one remaining. He was the first great goalie - minding the net for the dominant Canadiens in the 50s. He's also the man responsible for making the goalie mask a thing. He was also the first goalie to realize one doesn't need to be limited to the crease - revolutionizing what it meant for goalies to cut down angles and facilitate an offensive charge by actually retrieving the puck and passing it up. Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek all did it incredibly well - but Plante did it first and is, arguably, deserving of the top spot in the category for it. 

@Mister CIA @Ilov80s

Rd 11 NFL QB- Drew Brees

Im kind of going off the board here as CIA and I had a guy in mind but I now realize he’s been taken. So let’s pivot to the guy who took a historically laughable franchise and turned them into a premiere NFL franchise. He has a SB and a SB MVP and every passing record 

Most career passing yards

Most career pass completions

Most career touchdown passes

Highest career completion percentage

Highest single-season completion percentage

Most consecutive games with a touchdown pass

Most pass completions in a season

Most 5,000 passing yard seasons

Highest completion percentage in a game

Most touchdown passes in a game (tied)

@Getzlaf15

To me there's a big four in this category and I'll happily grab the last one remaining. He was the first great goalie - minding the net for the dominant Canadiens in the 50s. He's also the man responsible for making the goalie mask a thing. He was also the first goalie to realize one doesn't need to be limited to the crease - revolutionizing what it meant for goalies to cut down angles and facilitate an offensive charge by actually retrieving the puck and passing it up. Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek all did it incredibly well - but Plante did it first and is, arguably, deserving of the top spot in the category for it. 

@Mister CIA @Ilov80s
you couldnt win against Les Habs in those days because The Master's backup was the 2nd best goalie in hockey

Rd 11 - Greatest NBA Coach - Pat Riley

Riley was the head coach of the "Showtime" Lakers of the '80s. In a 24-year career as coach of the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat, he has won five championships (four with the Lakers and one with the Heat). He has also compiled a 1210-694 record, winning games at an impressive .636 clip.

He also won the NBA Coach of the Year Award three times in 1990, 1993, and 1997. He led his teams to the playoffs every season of his career except for one and that was his last season with the Heat. He ranks second in playoff wins with 171.

Rd 11 - Greatest NBA Coach - Pat Riley

Riley was the head coach of the "Showtime" Lakers of the '80s. In a 24-year career as coach of the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat, he has won five championships (four with the Lakers and one with the Heat). He has also compiled a 1210-694 record, winning games at an impressive .636 clip.

He also won the NBA Coach of the Year Award three times in 1990, 1993, and 1997. He led his teams to the playoffs every season of his career except for one and that was his last season with the Heat. He ranks second in playoff wins with 171.
gosh darnit, i keep having all these great ideas and trying to make notes, but sometimes i don't and then i forget about it...

Rd 11 NFL QB- Drew Brees
Couple of great picks here. Loved Jacques growing up in the 60s, dude was a legend. Brees is an incredible compiler and one of the two best (relatively) shorter QBs. Actually, more precisely he is THE best QB ever 6’ or under.

That said, from a VBD strategy view, seems perhaps a little suboptimal?

I believe - only glanced quickly - there are 9 categories with one pick and 16 with two picks. Conversely, these two are from deep cats - and rn we have 9 “comfortable or familiar” categories with 5-7 picks.

Not at all egregious at this point; simply means you might pick up 11-13 points in the judging phase versus getting 14-16 from some of the less popular cats.

But maybe something to consider going forward. Easy to be the critic, take it with a grain of salt.

This ones a marathon, very fun to follow along. Learned a thing or two & that will increase in the coming weeks, which to me is always one of the best reasons to have these drafts.

Thanks for running this @timschochet.

Couple of great picks here. Loved Jacques growing up in the 60s, dude was a legend. Brees is an incredible compiler and one of the two best (relatively) shorter QBs. Actually, more precisely he is THE best QB ever 6’ or under.

I believe - only glanced quickly - there are 9 categories with one pick and 16 with two picks. Conversely, these two are from deep cats - and rn we have 9 “comfortable or familiar” categories with 5-7 picks.

Not at all egregious at this point; simply means you might pick up 11-13 points in the judging phase versus getting 14-16 from some of the less popular cats.

But maybe something to consider going forward. Easy to be the critic, take it with a grain of salt.

This ones a marathon, very fun to follow along. Learned a thing or two & that will increase in the coming weeks, which to me is always one of the best reasons to have these drafts.

Maybe panicked a bit. Also apparently I’m higher on Brees than you expect others to be. I think he’s significantly better than any QB left on the board. There’s only one guy who I could see ranking ahead. There’s another I suspect some might but that guy has no rings and no records left. Also I think Brees has to be one the top candidates to win another SB this year and with it another SB MVP. He’s still playing at a super high level. Also some of those categories that haven’t had many picks maybe because there’s a big cluster so if you take the 3rd guy he might get ranked the 7th guy and you kind of lose out 

11.11 (make a wish) - Greatest NFL Coach - Category 24

Paul Brown

Founder of 2 NFL teams

Won 7 league championships

Greatest Innovator in the history of the NFL

Brown was more than just a coach. He was a student of the game who had much to do with making professional football the attraction it is today. He made coaching a full-time job for himself and all his assistants. Others had to follow suit or fall behind. So they did the logical thing—they copied his methods, both as a coach and innovator. ..."Paul Brown didn't invent the game of football. He was just the first to take it seriously", declared Sport Magazine in a December 1986 story ... Sid Gillman, Brown's coaching contemporary for many years in the NFL, told the magazine he always felt that "before Paul Brown pro football was a 'daisy chain.' He brought a system into pro football. He brought a practice routine. He broke down practice into individual areas. He had position coaches. He was an organizational genius. Before Paul Brown, coaches just rolled the ball out on the practice field."

One factor in Brown's success was his decision to hire a full-time staff of dedicated position coaches, a break from the norm in an era when most assistants took second jobs in the offseason to make ends meet. Brown also invented the "taxi squad", a group of promising players who did not make the roster but were kept on reserve. Team owner Mickey McBride put them on the payroll of his taxi company, although they did not drive cabs.

Brown sat his players down in classrooms and relentlessly tested them on their knowledge of the playbook, requiring them to copy down every play in a separate notebook for better retention.   

Classroom teaching was a fixture of Paul Brown's strict approach to coaching. Players were not allowed to drink, smoke in public or have sex after Tuesday night during the regular season.

He was the first coach to use intelligence tests to evaluate players, scout opponents using game films and call plays for his quarterback using guards as messengers.[1] He invented the draw play and helped develop the modern face mask after Len Ford and Otto Graham suffered facial injuries. Although critical of Brown's coaching, Jim Brown said he integrated football in the right way:

Paul Brown integrated pro football without uttering a single word about integration. He just went out, signed a bunch of great black athletes, and started kicking butt. That's how you do it. You don't talk about it. Paul never said one word about race. But this was a time in sports when you'd play in some cities and the white players could stay at the nice hotel, but the blacks had to stay in the homes of some black families in town. But not with Paul. We always stayed in hotels that took the entire team. Again, he never said a word. But in his own way, the man integrated football the right way – and no one was going to stop him.

Coaching tree includes Bill Walsh and several others who will likely be selected.

And team. 

What the hell else do you want? Most thuggish fans? Whiniest “I’m on the ground, holding my leg in fake agony begging for a penalty” performance? Greatest 0-0 game of all time? 
you obviously hate the sport which is fine (although I could argue you are very out of touch with how the country is trending) but I still can't figure out how you don't have at least one category in soccer for the women.  Soccer is easily the most popular women's team sport of all time (and it is not even close).    The WWC's draws really strong TV numbers, numbers something like the WNBA would kill every man alive to achieve.

I did weigh out each category. My analysis was that the other groups had some tiers with multiple options to them. I other words, I was afraid of picking a second or third choice in a category where that pick could be judged lower. 

With Plante, I figured I had the best chance of a judge actually rating him much higher or, at worst, 4th (which is where I picked him). I thought he was therefore the safest choice to ensure value. 

11.11 (make a wish) - Greatest NFL Coach - Category 24

Paul Brown

Founder of 2 NFL teams

Won 7 league championships

Greatest Innovator in the history of the NFL

Brown was more than just a coach. He was a student of the game who had much to do with making professional football the attraction it is today. He made coaching a full-time job for himself and all his assistants. Others had to follow suit or fall behind. So they did the logical thing—they copied his methods, both as a coach and innovator. ..."Paul Brown didn't invent the game of football. He was just the first to take it seriously", declared Sport Magazine in a December 1986 story ... Sid Gillman, Brown's coaching contemporary for many years in the NFL, told the magazine he always felt that "before Paul Brown pro football was a 'daisy chain.' He brought a system into pro football. He brought a practice routine. He broke down practice into individual areas. He had position coaches. He was an organizational genius. Before Paul Brown, coaches just rolled the ball out on the practice field."

One factor in Brown's success was his decision to hire a full-time staff of dedicated position coaches, a break from the norm in an era when most assistants took second jobs in the offseason to make ends meet. Brown also invented the "taxi squad", a group of promising players who did not make the roster but were kept on reserve. Team owner Mickey McBride put them on the payroll of his taxi company, although they did not drive cabs.

Brown sat his players down in classrooms and relentlessly tested them on their knowledge of the playbook, requiring them to copy down every play in a separate notebook for better retention.   

Classroom teaching was a fixture of Paul Brown's strict approach to coaching. Players were not allowed to drink, smoke in public or have sex after Tuesday night during the regular season.

He was the first coach to use intelligence tests to evaluate players, scout opponents using game films and call plays for his quarterback using guards as messengers.[1] He invented the draw play and helped develop the modern face mask after Len Ford and Otto Graham suffered facial injuries. Although critical of Brown's coaching, Jim Brown said he integrated football in the right way:

Paul Brown integrated pro football without uttering a single word about integration. He just went out, signed a bunch of great black athletes, and started kicking butt. That's how you do it. You don't talk about it. Paul never said one word about race. But this was a time in sports when you'd play in some cities and the white players could stay at the nice hotel, but the blacks had to stay in the homes of some black families in town. But not with Paul. We always stayed in hotels that took the entire team. Again, he never said a word. But in his own way, the man integrated football the right way – and no one was going to stop him.

Coaching tree includes Bill Walsh and several others who will likely be selected.
There is one, and only ONE potential option for the top NFL coaching spot other than Brown. IMO, because of his foundational contributions on SO many levels, Brown still gets the nod.  He all but invented the modern brand of NFL football. 

you obviously hate the sport which is fine (although I could argue you are very out of touch with how the country is trending) but I still can't figure out how you don't have at least one category in soccer for the women.  Soccer is easily the most popular women's team sport of all time (and it is not even close).    The WWC's draws really strong TV numbers, numbers something like the WNBA would kill every man alive to achieve.
It's what it is

First off I don’t hate soccer. Just having a little fun. It’s not my sport of choice but it’s fine. 

Second, like every other category I missed, such as auto racing, I missed it because I didn’t think of it. It was a screwup on my part, not a deliberate decision. I didn’t make any deliberate decisions to exclude any categories. After I set up my original list I invited everyone to come up with anything I missed and I think I accepted all suggestions. So the actual truth is nobody here thought of it; we all screwed up. Too late now. 

First off I don’t hate soccer. Just having a little fun. It’s not my sport of choice but it’s fine. 

Second, like every other category I missed, such as auto racing, I missed it because I didn’t think of it. It was a screwup on my part, not a deliberate decision. I didn’t make any deliberate decisions to exclude any categories. After I set up my original list I invited everyone to come up with anything I missed and I think I accepted all suggestions. So the actual truth is nobody here thought of it; we all screwed up. Too late now. 
you did more thinking than any of us did and we thank you for that

Users who are viewing this thread