What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (3 Viewers)

Is there somebody that can keep a spread sheet? I’m not going to be able to update the OP as often as I originally planned, sorry 

At least 2 of the first 3 picks are overrated IMO. 
I plan to have fun with it - if I was looking to win then I probably would have made a different pick.  It's so subjective though.  I'm assuming you like the Gretzky pick but not the other two.  That's fair based on relative value.

Is there somebody that can keep a spread sheet? I’m not going to be able to update the OP as often as I originally planned, sorry 
I'll track picks in a Google sheet. Will share in this thread later. Please note I live in The Netherlands so there will be moments in your guys evenings that I am off line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a house and have to go take care of some things - can I PM someone my cell # so you can text me if my turn comes up?

1.04 --Bo Jackson- Catagory 60 Greatest athlete of all time!

What coudn't Bo do?? without the hip injury he would have been a Hall of Famer in 2 sports

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
1.05  --  JERRY RICE  --  NFL, Greatest Wide Receiver (18)

TONS of records, 3 SBs, 12x All Pro, 13x Pro Bowl, work ethic, ....

Welcome aboard Jerry!
Thought about this pick but thought there were a few closer options to Rice than Gretzky

Tim - I'll take MLB - Greatest Infielder and NBA - greatest forward if you'll have me. Other baseball and basketball categories as well if needed. 

1.06 - Mariano Rivera - Greatest Relief Pitcher

I think I took him at 1.01 of the last greatest sports draft. He's pretty good, I guess.

Can I get in? (Can I write check?)
You want to take my spot? This seems maybe more daunting than I first thought and I might enjoy being a judge more or chiming in on picks. If not, nbd, I can do it.
Sure, but first, how about a tag team?  If you hit a lull, PM me; or vice versa. 

Imagine the Michigan to Mississippi connection!  All that separates us is a 400 mile trek through the woods and a 1,000 mile float down a river.

1.07 🏀 John Wooden - Category 34 - Greatest Men's College Basketball Coach 🏀

unprecedented winning credentials, greatest we'll ever see - absolutely remarkable. 

we all know the tremendous amount of talent that passed through U.C.L.A. - but Wooden did more than win games and titles ... he shaped the lives of so many of these young men, during some of the most tumultuous times this country has ever seen -  they grew to revere and love and honor him long after their days at Pauley Pavilion.

sure, the field wasn't as wide open back when he won 10 outta 12 as it is now, and, yes - the dibs on top talent was more easily procured then, as well - but the "Wizard of Westwood" transcended mere Xs and Os - his "Pyramid of Success" demanded excellence and virtue both on and off the court, and he led by such graceful example. 

ps - first player to ever be a three time selection as an All American back in his days at Purdue ... the man could walk the talk. 

@Zow - up next. 

Sure, but first, how about a tag team?  If you hit a lull, PM me; or vice versa. 

Imagine the Michigan to Mississippi connection!  All that separates us is a 400 mile trek through the woods and a 1,000 mile float down a river.
Sounds great 

Updated spreadsheet with the first 20 rounds so we should be good for a while.  I'm not an Excel/Sheets guru so there's probably a better way than I did it (brute force) but didn't take long.

Does anybody have an AWS account that they can use?  We could get fancy and trigger updates to the Google doc to send a text message to the next drafter.  Way overkill but I may be at home the next 14 months and already bored.

Sorry, crazy morning with snow and kids. This was also a really tough choice but....

1.8 Muhammad Ali - Greatest Heavyweight 

Arguably the greatest pound for pound boxer to live. He’s the best heavyweight ever and fought n the greatest era of heavyweights. The sociopolitical impact he made pushed him a nose ahead of my other considerations. 

1.9 Male Track and Field: Jesse Owens 

@Mister CIA

Jesse certainly has the athletic achievements to warrant the pick. 4 Gold Medals in 1936 for the 100m, 200m, relay and long jump. His long jump record stood for 50 years. Even before the Olympics, he was a phenom at Ohio State. In Ann Arbor, he recorded the “greatest 45 minutes ever in sports” when he broke 3 world records and tied another in under an hour. 

The athletic accomplishments aren’t why we are taking Owens though. Sports can be about so much more than times, records and medals. Nowhere was that more evident than in NAZI Berlin, in front of Hitler. A black man decidedly showing that the idea of a superior race was a lie. Hitler refused to shake his hand as was tradition but then again, so did the President of the US upon his return. Perhaps even today we have much to learn from him. 

Jesse Owens transcended sports and left a mark on world history. 

Great 12 minute video on Owens and the 36 Summer games

Users who are viewing this thread