What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (5 Viewers)

I assume all the positions and categories are considered equal here? Judges won't be weighting one position higher than another? Having the greatest assistant waterboy is equivalent to having the greatest head coach?

1.10. Cat 24. NFL-Greatest Coach. Vince Lombardi 

Including postseason but excluding exhibition games, Lombardi compiled a 105–35–6 (.740) record as head coach, and never suffered a losing season.[86] He led the Packers to three consecutive NFL championships — in 1965, 1966, and 1967 — a feat accomplished only once before in the history of the league, by Curly Lambeau, co-founder of the Packers, who coached the team to their first three straight NFL Championships in 1929, 1930, and 1931. At the conclusion of the 1966 and 1967 seasons, Lombardi's Packers won the first two Super Bowls, for championships in five of seven seasons.

@Long Ball Larry

Two of the last 3 picks, Ali and Owens, are interesting to me because both guys who picked them noted sociological issues in addition to pure sports accomplishment. Not saying that’s wrong, but it’s interesting. 

Two of the last 3 picks, Ali and Owens, are interesting to me because both guys who picked them noted sociological issues in addition to pure sports accomplishment. Not saying that’s wrong, but it’s interesting. 
That was essentially my tie-breaker fwiw. It was originally a factor for me but I had him dead even with two other options. 

I assume all the positions and categories are considered equal here? Judges won't be weighting one position higher than another? Having the greatest assistant waterboy is equivalent to having the greatest head coach?
Yes indeed. 

Question ... Would it be legal to select Bo Jackson in the Best RB category? Or is he off the board now that he has been selected?

They were no slouches in their respective sports either. Sure all of Owens records have been broken but in 80 years, he will still be in history books, not so sure about many other track athletes. Also if he had access to creatine, modern training, etc. he’s probably as good as any modern track athlete. His level of natural speed and explosiveness is legendary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but same VBD methodology used in FF applies. Clear GoaTs and thin categories should be valued more in creating your draft strategy. Punt to later rounds categories that are muddled or very deep.

otb_lifer said:
1.07 🏀 John Wooden - Category 34 - Greatest Men's College Basketball Coach 🏀

unprecedented winning credentials, greatest we'll ever see - absolutely remarkable. 

we all know the tremendous amount of talent that passed through U.C.L.A. - but Wooden did more than win games and titles ... he shaped the lives of so many of these young men, during some of the most tumultuous times this country has ever seen -  they grew to revere and love and honor him long after their days at Pauley Pavilion.

sure, the field wasn't as wide open back when he won 10 outta 12 as it is now, and, yes - the dibs on top talent was more easily procured then, as well - but the "Wizard of Westwood" transcended mere Xs and Os - his "Pyramid of Success" demanded excellence and virtue both on and off the court, and he led by such graceful example. 

ps - first player to ever be a three time selection as an All American back in his days at Purdue ... the man could walk the talk. 

@Zow - up next. 
and spoke the truest words ever spoke, "Happiness begins where selfishness ends"

Sorry, crazy morning with snow and kids. This was also a really tough choice but....

1.8 Muhammad Ali - Greatest Heavyweight 

Arguably the greatest pound for pound boxer to live. He’s the best heavyweight ever and fought n the greatest era of heavyweights. The sociopolitical impact he made pushed him a nose ahead of my other considerations. 

i know y'all wants to get the slamdunkiest catmonsters up front, but this here's the 1.01 of any sports draft. Bumbaye!

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Sorry, crazy morning with snow and kids. This was also a really tough choice but....

1.8 Muhammad Ali - Greatest Heavyweight 

Arguably the greatest pound for pound boxer to live. He’s the best heavyweight ever and fought n the greatest era of heavyweights. The sociopolitical impact he made pushed him a nose ahead of my other considerations. 

momma named him clay, i'm gonna call him clay

pick coming up

1.12 George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr.

i'll figure out the category later.
This was my other option for my pick. Had him in my top five. Was surprised he lasted. 

In fairness, you should probably figure out the category sooner than later. 

1.11 - Greatest Horse - Secretariat

Zero argument
had the great pleasure to visit him at Claiborne Farm in the mid 80s. 15 years old then. still looked like he wanted to run thru a brick wall. still looked like he could. most beautiful thing i've ever seen.

btw, there was a specific reason for his dominance.  the average equine heart weighs 7-10 pounds - possibly the most impressive organ this side of the human brain, for it is hard to stress without ruining thoroughbred legs. they weighed Big Red's heart at autopsy. 22 pounds.

1.14 -- Lew Alcindor / Kareem, Men's College BB Player.

Alcindor, who changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when he got into the NBA, may have been the greatest talent to even set foot on a college court and may have had the greatest career of any player in college history.  He averaged 26.4 points and 15.5 rebounds during his three years at UCLA. He won three national championships, won 88 of the 90 games he played and it was because of him that the NCAA outlawed dunking.

Alert- 

just realized a huge gap in this: race car driving. 

Should we add: 

Greatest race car driver? 

Greatest NASCAR driver? 

1.16 Jim Brown - RB

2.01 Bill Russell - C (and greatest winner OF ALL TIME)

Well, y'all left me two of my 60s heroes and probably the two who fit best together. My formative heroes were all black men - these two, Willy Mays, Ali and Malcolm X. The latter, thru his autobiography, taught me that being better than my obstacles was the way to go. More than any two other athletes, Brown & Russ embodied that by doing their jobs better than anyone ever had and never looking up to see what white folk thought of what they'd done. They OWNED their worlds and, if they could, so could i. Thank you both.

back2u @timschochet

2.3 -- Lawrence Taylor, NFL LB.

Lawrence Julius Taylor (born February 4, 1959), nicknamed "L.T.", is an American former professional football player. Taylor played his entire professional career as a linebacker for the New York Giants (1981–1993) in the National Football League (NFL). He is considered one of the greatest players in the history of American football, and has been ranked as the greatest defensive player in league history by former players, coaches, media members, and news outlets such as the NFL Network and Sporting News.

1.16 Jim Brown - RB

2.01 Bill Russell - C (and greatest winner OF ALL TIME)

Well, y'all left me two of my 60s heroes and probably the two who fit best together. My formative heroes were all black men - these two, Willy Mays, Ali and Malcolm X. The latter, thru his autobiography, taught me that being better than my obstacles was the way to go. More than any two other athletes, Brown & Russ embodied that by doing their jobs better than anyone ever had and never looking up to see what white folk thought of what they'd done. They OWNED their worlds and, if they could, so could i. Thank you both.

back2u @timschochet
I actually considered Brown for all around greatest athlete. 

2.05 Eldrick "Tiger" Woods

almost took him in the first round.  ive never been his biggest fan, but he changed the game on a level only previously done by the king, and Tiger's record is miles better.

almost took him in the first round.  ive never been his biggest fan, but he changed the game on a level only previously done by the king, and Tiger's record is miles better.
Good pick. Didn't consider him in the first round because he isn't the clear-cut greatest ever at his craft where most of the others selected were. 

I actually considered Brown for all around greatest athlete. 

arguably better at lacrosse than football, if one can fathom that 
dunno why the footage doesnt appear to have made it to the youtube era, but i swear they showed some Syracuse lacrosse highlights on Wide World of Sports once. it was pretty much twenty guys - both sides - afraid of going anywhere near one.

i remember for a time in the early 70s, the Bruins were such a hard ticket that they moved their minor league team to Boston to capitalize. Bruins had a defenseman - Ted Green - who was one of the OG, chew-u-up-&-spit-you-out hard guys. after an injury once, they decided to rehab Green on the Braves for a coupla games since they were in town. now i had as much bringing-up-the-puck skill as Ted Green did, but not one of them 18-19yo players were gonna get in front of Ted Green w his skate on, so he had immunity with impunity for his entire rehab stint. that's what JB had on the lacrosse field - the first case of social distancing

he was first-in if there werent 2 of my 60s heroes left at the elbow

Users who are viewing this thread