Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anarchy99

RB David Johnson traded to HOU for DeAndre Hopkins

5 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

hopkins is on a good contract too.

ARI said to already be negotiating a new contract. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Hard to imagine DJ getting fewer than 50 catches even with Duke there 

I’ll take the under in that.

• Like 2

With the trade not being able to be official until Wednesday I wonder if Houston will try and find a way to back out once they see how much heat they’re taking. Maybe DJ “fails” his physical?

Wow, I don't get this one. Seems like one of those things that would only happen if the Texans know something about Hopkins that we don't, or if there was some kind of major backroom dust up that made the situation untenable.

I watched DJ a bit last season and he looked washed in all honesty.

This smacks of BO'B being petty believing he's "exiling" Hopkins to some NFL gulag.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

This smacks of BO'B being petty believing he's "exiling" Hopkins to some NFL gulag.

I mean Kyler Murray is there, Arizona is far from an NFL gulag.

2 minutes ago, Tool said:

I mean Kyler Murray is there, Arizona is far from an NFL gulag.

Bill probably doesn't know that.

I can’t blame Bill here. It’s pretty obvious what happened as this has happened to me before. He obviously meant to include a first round draft pick from the Cardinals and simply forgot to check the box before he sent the offer.

• Laughing 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Was thinking about this (all) today.  Yes I'm still giddy as a Cards fan. Just praying it doesn't somehow get vetoed

Is there a RB in the NFL you wouldn't insert into this deal for Johnson and not do the deal for the team receiving Hopkins?? 

Cowboys and Rams just gave 1sts for (inferior IMO) WRs nearing the end of their deals in Cooks/Cooper. Cards got Hopkins for a swap of 4ths in my eyes.

EDIT: Just seeing Hopkins is wanting new deal. Still ecstatic as the Cards are getting the best WR in the league in prime of his career. Can't wait for Cards camp presuming it happens. First order of business will be to shake Steve Keim's hand for this deal.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

6 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Was thinking about this (all) today.  Yes I'm still giddy as a Cards fan. Just praying it doesn't somehow get vetoed

Is there a RB in the NFL you wouldn't insert into this deal for Johnson and not do the deal for the team receiving Hopkins?? One thing not even mentioned is Hopkins is signed for 3 more seasons at a reasonable rate for a WR that I believe is the best currently in the NFL. And will likely look like even more of a steal as the cap goes up. Consider this, the Browns just gave Austin Hooper an AAS $11 mil/yr. Cardinals now have Hopkins at a little north of $13 mil AAS.

DeAndre wants a new deal so he'll likely be in the low 20s.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Is there a RB in the NFL you wouldn't insert into this deal for Johnson and not do the deal for the team receiving Hopkins?? 

Cowboys and Rams just gave 1sts for (inferior IMO) WRs nearing the end of their deals in Cooks/Cooper. Cards got Hopkins for a swap of 4ths in my eyes.

EDIT: Just seeing Hopkins is wanting new deal. Still ecstatic as the Cards are getting the best WR in the league in prime of his career. Can't wait for Cards camp presuming it happens. First order of business will be to shake Steve Keim's hand for this deal.

:no:

Elbow bump only please.

1 hour ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

:no: 

Amazing get for the Cardinals.

This trade is awful.  Total incompetence.  I mean, are you telling me he couldn't get a better deal for DeAndre Hopkins?  DId he even call more than AZ?  Feel bad for Houston fans.  B"OB is so bad at his job.

• Like 1

Twitter NFL Update@MySportsUpdate

Michael Irvin says DeAndre Hopkins told him that Bill O’Brien pulled him into a meeting and equated him to Aaron Hernandez. Also O’Brien didn’t like Hopkins having his "Baby Mamas" coming around. As

@mspears96

said, I can't believe what I just heard.

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-irvin-de-andre-hopkins-told-me-bill-o-brien-brought-up-aaron-hernandez-in-pretrade-cleartheair-meeting-142157866.html

But now, after Michael Irvin’s comments on ESPN’s “Get Up” morning show, the notion is far less preposterous.

The former Cowboys wide receiver said that Hopkins told him that he met with O’Brien before he was traded to the Arizona Cardinals. In that meeting, Irvin said Hopkins told him that O’Brien said the last time that he had to have a meeting of this nature was with the former Patriots tight end, who was convicted of murder in 2015, and that the coach didn’t like the fact that Hopkins had children with multiple women.

Here are Irvin’s comments in full

He told me, he said, Michael, it was a bit of a power struggle there because Bill O’Brien thought he had too much influence over the locker room. He called DeAndre Hopkins in a meeting to talk about this and to kind of get this — hash it out. In that meeting, he started the meeting with telling DeAndre Hopkins this — which blew my mind when DeAndre told me this. He told DeAndre Hopkins, he said, ‘Hey, the last time I had to have a meeting like this it was with Aaron Hernandez.’ I was like what? He put in Aaron Hernandez in this meeting? He said yes he did. He said, ‘Michael. that blew my mind that he would even bring that up, I’ve never been in any trouble, I don’t know why he would equate me with Aaron Hernandez.’ 

And from there the meeting just deteriorated. He got into talking about DeAndre Hopkins. DeAndre Hopkins has a few kids from different women and he said, you know, he told DeAndre that he doesn’t like that he has his baby mamas around sometimes. And from there I think the relationship just went bad and thus we got a trade of DeAndre Hopkins from Houston, for basically what I said earlier, a ham sandwich all because of that relationship. 

Wow.

• Like 1

Just now, fatness said:

DeAndre Hopkins took to social media Wednesday to deny Michael Irvin's comments that a fractured relationship with Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien led to his trade to the Arizona Cardinals on Monday.

Deandre Hopkins✔@DeAndreHopkins

This is being blown way out of proportion. As I’ve said before, I enjoyed and am proud of my time with the Texans. I have the utmost respect for Coach O’Brien and that will not change.  Now, I’m ready to play for the Cardinals.

• Like 1

Profootballtalk is reporting that money demands were primary reason for the trade and that AZ offer was the best they got. Also reporting that Eagles were in the mix but backed out after learning what was being asked by Hopkins or Houston.  

Makes more sense now. 

17 minutes ago, hispeedthinmint said:

Eagles thought the price was too high? hahahahahaha

Maybe Nuks contract demands.

28 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Maybe Nuks contract demands.

Yeah or a combination of both

I still can't believe this trade. You hear sports fans around the world complain about their respective coach or the refs or the owner all the time. But this is one of those egregious examples that only makes sense to the one guy on the wrong side of the deal.

• Like 1

Good on Hopkins to try and squash the story as best he can, only makes him look like a good dude while he gets more money from Arizona, smart man. 

2 hours ago, Jail said:

Profootballtalk is reporting that money demands were primary reason for the trade and that AZ offer was the best they got. Also reporting that Eagles were in the mix but backed out after learning what was being asked by Hopkins or Houston.  

Makes more sense now. 

David Johnson is making more than Hopkins now I believe, so taking him on in the Deal still doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:39 PM, Dr. Octopus said:

David Johnson is making more than Hopkins now I believe, so taking him on in the Deal still doesn’t make sense.

Hopkins reportedly demanded an $18M-$20M per year extension from the Texans and threatened to hold out if he didn't get it. Still dumb to take on DJ's contract in exchange.