What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Schooling Help (1 Viewer)

Redwes25

Footballguy
I know a number of folks on this site home school their kids.  My kids are now out of school until April 20th and would love some advice/help from people who have experience.  School district is hoping to do remote learning but who knows how/if that will work.  My wife and I are working from home so trying to tag-team this a bit and would love some advice from folks experienced with it.  

We pulled our kids from school on Thursday and basically made it a long weekend of it but have started a schedule for the day outlined below.  We also purchased a bunch of work books from Amazon, etc. to get them started on Thursday night so we have some materials but that was just buying stuff at random at grade level.  Also, any resources, etc. anyone is aware of I would appreciate it.  I have twin girls who are 7 and a son who is 10.  Though hope this can help with all age kids.  

7 am wake up, breakfast, get dressed, make beds, etc.

8 am - 1 hour outdoor playtime.  I know it is early but less folks out an about at that hour in a kids setting. We went for a family walk/scooter rides

9 am - 1 hour doing workbooks mentioned above (did math today)

10 am - Creative activity hour.  We joined a lego challenge where we do new project everyday.  Imagine this would change up and be art, etc. on different days

11 am - Reading/journal writing hour

noon - lunch for half hour

1230 - 1:30 pm - Household chores for about an hour

1:30 - 2:30 pm - Online learning hour.  Our school has access to some online systems already to help in math/reading and having kids do that.

2:30 - 3:30 pm - Break/free activity time

3:30 - 4:30 pm - Homework (have left over homework type stuff having them do but will run out of that quick) but want to do one other stretch during day

4:30 to bed - regular home activities until bed, etc.   

Looks good for a schedule. 

Generally we advise people to take it easy at first. But given this is not a “by choice” or long term plan, I think your plan is good. 
I would not fight with them about all this, especially busy work. I would think staying on top of math and reading and writing something everyday would be enough. I think completion rates will be all over the map for stuff they assign and it will really not matter in the long run. Reading/writing and math are keys to keep going. 
Remember at the end of all this your relationships are what is going to matter. Not whether they got all the assigned work done. And maybe you’ll change teams going forward! Good luck and stay healthy. Try to appreciate this slow time. 

Wow.  Your house is much different than mine. 

10 year old son, 12 about to be 13 year old daughter

They wake up around 10

Son plays video games and watches youtube

Daughter watches tic toc all day

Me: clean your rooms

Them: no

Me: OK

Then they jumped on the trampoline for a bit and came in for dinner

Son fell asleep around 12:15

Pretty sure my daughter watched a brain pop video on the corona virus and a video for home and careers on how to set up your bedroom in between tic tocs. 

They wake up around 10

Pretty sure my daughter watched a brain pop video on the corona virus and a video for home and careers on how to set up your bedroom in between tic tocs. 
This is more like my house too but I don’t want the newbies to know that yet. 

This would be more like:

clean your rooms

no

[unplug/ remove devices]

at mine and Mr R's houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was day one. We probably won’t be that good but I think they need schedules of some sort or my son will kill his sisters. 

This would be more like:

clean your rooms

no

[unplug/ remove devices]

at mine and Mr R's houses.
Yeah, Ive said this before. Im a good dad, but a lousy parent. I just dont care enough for negative consequences. 

Probably has to do with the fact that I was grounded All.The.Time

Today not as good as yesterday. Did reading time, work books and online math program. Wife and I both busy working from home. This is going to be a tough time. 

They wake up around 10

Sounds familiar.  Made her do some math today. Nearly killed her. 

I know a number of folks on this site home school their kids.  My kids are now out of school until April 20th and would love some advice/help from people who have experience.  School district is hoping to do remote learning but who knows how/if that will work.  My wife and I are working from home so trying to tag-team this a bit and would love some advice from folks experienced with it.  

We pulled our kids from school on Thursday and basically made it a long weekend of it but have started a schedule for the day outlined below.  We also purchased a bunch of work books from Amazon, etc. to get them started on Thursday night so we have some materials but that was just buying stuff at random at grade level.  Also, any resources, etc. anyone is aware of I would appreciate it.  I have twin girls who are 7 and a son who is 10.  Though hope this can help with all age kids.  

7 am wake up, breakfast, get dressed, make beds, etc.

8 am - 1 hour outdoor playtime.  I know it is early but less folks out an about at that hour in a kids setting. We went for a family walk/scooter rides

9 am - 1 hour doing workbooks mentioned above (did math today)

10 am - Creative activity hour.  We joined a lego challenge where we do new project everyday.  Imagine this would change up and be art, etc. on different days

11 am - Reading/journal writing hour

noon - lunch for half hour

1230 - 1:30 pm - Household chores for about an hour

1:30 - 2:30 pm - Online learning hour.  Our school has access to some online systems already to help in math/reading and having kids do that.

2:30 - 3:30 pm - Break/free activity time

3:30 - 4:30 pm - Homework (have left over homework type stuff having them do but will run out of that quick) but want to do one other stretch during day

4:30 to bed - regular home activities until bed, etc.   
Teacher with 25 years of experience here:

Looks great.  Structure is the most important thing.  Next is just keep them learning.  Even if it isn’t directly related to the actual curriculum.  Just keep them learning.  Encourage them to find something they’re interested in...sharks, dinosaurs, cars, horses, whatever.  Find things for them to read about whatever topic it is.  Or even YouTube videos.  Don’t let their brains get flabby.

Also work in some time, maybe 10-15 minutes, for daily beatings.  Nothing too hardcore. A few whacks with a Hot Wheels track will suffice.

We officially start distance learning today.  The more I think about this, the more insane it seems.  I think that I am not going to stress that much about it.  We are going to try to do what we can, but this is far from an ideal learning environment for my kid and I think many others.  To try to implement this whole thing on the fly seems kind of nuts.  They have to give some kind of special consideration for this down the line.  

I’m just focusing on a couple things with my third grader. I want to do something but I know myself well enough that we’re not gonna have a set school like schedule all day every day. I bought a kids French learning kit off Amazon. We are basically going to have her begin learning French, I want her to memorize her multiplication tables from 1-12 and read each day. She’s getting into the multiplication tables. We make a speed game of it, where I time her with a stopwatch and she tries to beat her record. 

my oldest is in 2nd grade & his teacher usually sends out weekly updates via email what the class is doing etc. im surprised she hasn't sent any emails since the closure with any assignments or paperwork we can have them work on. ill be following your guides but its been tough balancing tele and babysitting

2 hours in and my daughter found it so overwhelming that she instead is working on learning master of puppets (and possibly rise above).

#### it, I say.

My issue is the fact that I have older kids (7th, 10th, 11th grades) and they are all caught up with their work from school. Our county hasn't gotten their act together yet, and despite bing out of school since Thursday, they are only beginning to have meetings with teachers today (Wednesday) about how to deal with this crisis. My oldest will be doing ACT/SAT prep work, but those tests are in flux right now.

I'm going for maintaining social contact while maintaining social distance. Trying to keep the teens in contact with their friends while they can't do anything 'with' them. Fortunately they are much better at this than we are. 

OrtonToOlsen said:
Teacher with 25 years of experience here:

Looks great.  Structure is the most important thing.  Next is just keep them learning.  Even if it isn’t directly related to the actual curriculum.  Just keep them learning.  Encourage them to find something they’re interested in...sharks, dinosaurs, cars, horses, whatever.  Find things for them to read about whatever topic it is.  Or even YouTube videos.  Don’t let their brains get flabby.

Also work in some time, maybe 10-15 minutes, for daily beatings.  Nothing too hardcore. A few whacks with a Hot Wheels track will suffice.
Good advice here. 👍

27 years teaching high school mathematics. 

Advice to parents:

1. Find out what avenue your school utilizes to get information back and forth to your kid. Google Classroom is dominating across the country now because its free. Don't just trust your kid. Login to their account and see what it is they are being asked to do. 
  2. Email a teacher and ask them what they want your kid to do if you're unsure. Every district across the county is going to have expectations for their teachers to be providing learning opportunities. 
  3. If you feel lost, utilize Khan Academy. Make yourself the teacher and assign your kid to your class. Anyone can set up a class for free. This way, you can see exactly what your kid is doing, or not doing. The reports are fairly detailed and easy to navigate. 
Feel free to hit me with a PM if you need high school math help. I work for free and would be glad help. I find the best way to help is taking a pic of a problem and sending it to me. I can write up an explanation and send it back. If that doesn't work, I don't mind talking a kid through stuff over the phone or via zoom conference call. 

Today was a down day as family relocated out of NYC.  Still did reading time and online learning.  Tomorrow will be a full schedule outlined above.  

Home schooling is going well. Two students suspended for fighting. One teacher fired for drinking on the job.
Got a note from my girlfriend telling me it was a rough start. She has two daughters. One has been expelled and the other has received detention for skipping. 

We added a new wrinkle to the program.  We are doing outside lessons via Zoom (video conference system) using family members.  My wife's Aunt who is a third greater teacher is doing a reading/writing lesson with my kids today.  Tomorrow her Uncle a retired history teacher will be doing a history lesson.  Even non-teachers are chipping in with my brother going to do a short music lesson playing the guitar and singing and my Mom plans to do a baking lesson next week.  

Great way to keep connected with the family and get kids engaged.  Anyway, I thought I would share the idea.  

The state of Kansas has closed all school buildings for the rest of the year, but the school district is currently working on an online/extended learning program for the kids while they are home. We are not sure when they are going to release the particulars. My two youngest get ipads issued by the school, and my middle schooler has an apple laptop. So they will have resources available to them.

So tonight at dinner we broke the news to them that starting Monday the party is over. Basically we said you are going to be on an educational schedule once we get the curriculum and we'll supplement it with other stuff - break times, physical fitness, household chores, practical learning (how to do laundry, working with tools, ...etc)

You would have thought we were taking away their xbox and ruining their lives.   Some quotes:

"Wait, what?"

"When do we get to have snacks?"

"Well, if I get done by 11 I will just play the xbox the rest of the day"

"This isn't fair"

"We don't have to do that much at school"

"I can eat lunch and do work at the same time so I can be done earlier"

So our initial thoughts are something along these lines. They normally go to school around 8-3 every day. But we are thinking of dividing the day into periods like school:

Period 1: English/Reading

Period 2: Geography

Break for snacks

Period 3: Math

Period 4: Social Studies/Current Events

Lunch

Period 5: Physical Education

Period 6: Practical Learning/Chores/Rotating Topics

Each period would be for say 45 minutes or so. If they get done early in each subject they would have to read something about that topic to complete the time.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Changes?

My wife and I were laughing our asses off when they left the room. The kids are now in the basement discussing this and all the ramifications. I'm rolling up here while typing this out.

Here’s how home-schooling would go if it were like school-school:

8:30 Class is supposed to start

8:33 You kid, Trevor walks in. You ask him why he’s late. He blames his dad. He’s got you there.

8:35 Trevor asks for a pencil even though you gave him one yesterday. As you’re getting him a new one he announces that he’s found one. Trevor then pulls out a 2 inch stub of a green colored pencil.  This leads to a 3 minute conversation/argument about why he can’t use a green pencil for classwork.

8:40 Trevor asks to go to the bathroom.  You remind him that he was right next to the bathroom 10 minutes ago.  Of course he didn’t have to go then.

8:49 Trevor comes back from the bathroom.

8:50 Trevor can’t find his pencil.  Turns out it’s in the bathroom.

8:52 Trevor opens his math book

8:53-8:58 Trevor works on math. He also sings the same two lines from Doja Cat’s “Say So” over and over for 5 minutes.  When you ask him to be quiet, he says it wasn’t him. 

8:59 Trevor points out that you wore those same pants 2 days ago. Trevor doesn’t realize that you own like 3 pair of pants.

9:05 Time to work on spelling.

9:06 Trevor giggles for 2 minutes when you tell him to open his book to page 59 (Trevor isn’t very street-smart).

9:10 Trevor asks if you’ve gained weight

9:12 Trevor asks if he can go to the bathroom. You tell him “no”. He then tells you “but you let Trevor go!”  He’s got you there.

9:15 Recess. You tell Trevor to play outside for 15 minutes.  You debate the ethics behind going into the garage and shotgunning a beer and/or a bowl of jazz cabbage.

9:33 Trevor isn’t back from recess yet. You find him in the bathroom making a Tik-Tok of his armpit farts.

9:34 He can’t find his pencil

Lather, rinse repeat until 3:00

8:33 You kid, Trevor walks in. You ask him why he’s late. He blames his dad. He’s got you there.

8:35 Trevor asks for a pencil even though you gave him one yesterday. As you’re getting him a new one he announces that he’s found one. Trevor then pulls out a 2 inch stub of a green colored pencil.  This leads to a 3 minute conversation/argument about why he can’t use a green pencil for classwork.

8:40 Trevor asks to go to the bathroom.  You remind him that he was right next to the bathroom 10 minutes ago.  Of course he didn’t have to go then.

8:53-8:58 Trevor works on math. He also sings the same two lines from Doja Cat’s “Say So” over and over for 5 minutes.  When you ask him to be quiet, he says it wasn’t him. 

8:59 Trevor points out that you wore those same pants 2 days ago. Trevor doesn’t realize that you own like 3 pair of pants.

9:06 Trevor giggles for 2 minutes when you tell him to open his book to page 59 (Trevor isn’t very street-smart).

9:12 Trevor asks if he can go to the bathroom. You tell him “no”. He then tells you “but you let Trevor go!”  He’s got you there.

9:15 Recess. You tell Trevor to play outside for 15 minutes.  You debate the ethics behind going into the garage and shotgunning a beer and/or a bowl of jazz cabbage.

9:33 Trevor isn’t back from recess yet. You find him in the bathroom making a Tik-Tok of his armpit farts.

You forgot that Trevor asked to go to the nurse at 9:25

facts!

i keep telling my kid, if she homeschooled, she'd have 3-4 hours to do whatever the hell she wanted.  there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much time wasted in school.*

*actually had her math teacher rat her out about going to the bathroom.   :lmao:   

We added a new wrinkle to the program.  We are doing outside lessons via Zoom (video conference system) using family members.  My wife's Aunt who is a third greater teacher is doing a reading/writing lesson with my kids today.  Tomorrow her Uncle a retired history teacher will be doing a history lesson.  Even none teachers are chipping in with my brother going to do a short music lesson playing the guitar and singing and my Mom plans to do a baking lesson next week.  

Great way to keep connected with the family and get kids engaged.  Anyway, I thought I would share the idea.  
Loving what you're doing (helpful to have teachers in the family).

Your NYC schools should have set up a home program by now to start the full rollout on monday...we've been inundated with emails the last couple days.

3rd grade floppinha had her first class meeting with zoom yesterday...God those kids are ####### annoying. Next week we have their full new-normal schedule, including meetings and attendance on zoom and ongoing classwork via Google classroom. 7th grade floppinho has been using Google classroom for all homework since last year, so this is all kinda normal for him.

Not sure how the one on one teaching/reviewing will work. Or the not killing eachother.

Loving what you're doing (helpful to have teachers in the family).

Your NYC schools should have set up a home program by now to start the full rollout on monday...we've been inundated with emails the last couple days.

3rd grade floppinha had her first class meeting with zoom yesterday...God those kids are ####### annoying. Next week we have their full new-normal schedule, including meetings and attendance on zoom and ongoing classwork via Google classroom. 7th grade floppinho has been using Google classroom for all homework since last year, so this is all kinda normal for him.

Not sure how the one on one teaching/reviewing will work. Or the not killing eachother.
Yup, seen a ton of emails from school. Luckily wife is mostly handling those especially since she is a class parent for one of my kids class so  she knows a bit more how it is being set up. 

Online classes starting up for kids today. We shall see how it goes. Think main goal will keep them engaged and on a schedule. 

Online classes starting up for kids today. We shall see how it goes. Think main goal will keep them engaged and on a schedule. 
Ours started up last week with some bumps in the road.  One of my son's teachers complaining about how few students are checking off their assignments in a timely matter.  SMH

Ours started up last week with some bumps in the road.  One of my son's teachers complaining about how few students are checking off their assignments in a timely matter.  SMH
I get your end of it and I wouldn’t make a big deal about much as an online teacher right now. However, the teacher has likely been trained and tasked with creating all this new online material, instruction, etc during this messed up pandemic so it probably is frustrating if kids aren’t doing the work. It’s frustrating when it happens in regular school. You spend 4 hours designing some lesson only to have to spend the whole hour waking kids up, telling them to get off their phones and to stop just copying off each other. These are strange times and it’s likely everyone’s stress levels will be up quite a bit.

And by “works on math” you mean takes his phone and uses photo math to get all the answers and then is dumbfounded why you won’t accept it for credit.

I get your end of it and I wouldn’t make a big deal about much as an online teacher right now. However, the teacher has likely been trained and tasked with creating all this new online material, instruction, etc during this messed up pandemic so it probably is frustrating if kids aren’t doing the work. It’s frustrating when it happens in regular school. You spend 4 hours designing some lesson only to have to spend the whole hour waking kids up, telling them to get off their phones and to stop just copying off each other. These are strange times and it’s likely everyone’s stress levels will be up quite a bit.
I taught briefly, so I get it.  Wanted to clap back at him about why the assignments weren't up on Day1 but I held back.  This is new for everyone.

I taught briefly, so I get it.  Wanted to clap back at him about why the assignments weren't up on Day1 but I held back.  This is new for everyone.
I don’t even know how online instruction is supposed to work for younger kids. HS makes sense and middle school maybe but teaching little kids to read? Yikes

Yep. Very interested to see how this works.

Our elementary school has 3.5 hrs of instruction for the kids...and doesn't want them parked in front of screen for all of that straight.

My son's Jr high should be fine, but has music instruction integral to the curriculum (The Special Music School in NYC)...he has an outside jazz ensemble on weekends- zoom creates enough time lag that it was impossible for them to play as hoped this weekend. His school is all individual, but the same issue might be there with his music instrument instructor...we'll see.

I'm hoping the teachers are able to provide regular one on one review with each kid so that it's not all on them or us to ensure they're making proper progress and use of their time. 

Navin Johnson said:
You should ask her to provide one on one instruction if the kids aren't doing their work.

Should be banned.
I suppose but how do we ban an app? It can be helpful if used correctly. If you are doing homework, it can show you how to do a problem so you can apply the strategies to future problems or it can be used to check work. However, most kids that use do it just to blindly copy the work. If they aren't using Photomath, they just snap the answers to everyone. I've been in class where an assignment is passed out, someone from a previous hour completed it so they snapped it a friend and the friend airdropped it to everyone in class. You just have to assume now 80% of the kids are copying and cheating left and right. They don't see anything wrong with it. 

You should ask her to provide one on one instruction if the kids aren't doing their work.
Still waiting to hear if this will be happening for 3rd grade floppinha...class of 32 kids. 7th grade floppinho has only 12 kids in the entire grade, so they're able to zoom meet fairly well (I did hear him yelling at the kids to shut up so he could ask the teacher a question).

First day of remote school seems to have gone really well, although wife says the setup is likely beyond most unaccompanied 3rd graders and will require parental supervision/aid for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread