What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 Worst Moves This Offseason (2 Viewers)

BoltBacker

Footballguy
1. HOU - Hopkins debacle

2. See #1

3. HOU - Cobb signing to "replace" Hopkins

4. CHI - Tripling down on bad TE decisions year after year after year

5. All teams in NY - Overpaying for "good" FA CB's year after year after year

Honorable Mention : 6. TEN - Awarding Tannehill the "Nick Foles" trophy contract by awarding a veteran player a giant contract based on part of a season while outbidding themselves for his services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its crazy that 3 years ago the Jags had the best defense in the NFL, and now, I would argue, might have the worst. 
Come to think of it that does seem like a lifetime ago. Like, "remember Tony Bosselli?" ago but it has just been three years.

BoltBacker said:
Honorable Mention : 6. TEN - Awarding Tannehill the "Nick Foles" trophy contract by awarding a veteran player a giant contract based on part of a season while outbidding themselves for his services.
I don't necessarily disagree, but there's a significant difference with signing your own player, who has helped you get to the championship game, and bringing in a free agent. 

Just on things that happened:

Tier one:

1. Hopkins trade from Houston angle of course

Tier two:

2. Bears signing Graham

Tier 3:

3. Jags letting go of Calais Campbell so cheaply

Tier 4:

4. Lions signing Halapoulivaati Vaitai

5.  Stefon Diggs acquisition by Buffalo. Good player but price way to steep for my taste and just not of believe Diggs was right kind of WR for Buffalo. I get that John Brown did find but Allen still struggles with accuracy and Diggs is a precision route runner. Thought a WR with a bigger catch radius made more sense. You know like Hopkins would have made perfect sense.

I think the Leonard Floyd at 1yr/$10mil might have to be in the mix. He had 3 sacks in 16 games last season and for a top 10 pick in the draft has been pretty close to a bust. I was sure he'd have to sign a 1yr prove it deal someplace but $10mil seems way out of bounds given his level of production thus far. It screams, "Oh S***!" over-correction after losing Fowler to the Falcons. The Rams are paying Floyd more than Beasley got which makes no sense to me at all.

CHI also trying to double down on the list by not only taking on the terrible Foles contract which isn't so bad by itself I guess(they HAD TO have a backup there in case they need to switch mid-season) but then they sweeten the already absurd contract for Foles? So on the off chance he does have a Tannehill-like rise from the dead situation CHI will have to go to the negotiating table. That says two things to me. ONE, we have so many doubts about Trubisky we had to get a backup that may end up our starter at some point. And TWO, the guy we brought in probably won't play well enough to warrant expecting a new contract even when he gets in the game. 

I think the Leonard Floyd at 1yr/$10mil might have to be in the mix. He had 3 sacks in 16 games last season and for a top 10 pick in the draft has been pretty close to a bust. I was sure he'd have to sign a 1yr prove it deal someplace but $10mil seems way out of bounds given his level of production thus far. It screams, "Oh S***!" over-correction after losing Fowler to the Falcons. The Rams are paying Floyd more than Beasley got which makes no sense to me at all.

CHI also trying to double down on the list by not only taking on the terrible Foles contract which isn't so bad by itself I guess(they HAD TO have a backup there in case they need to switch mid-season) but then they sweeten the already absurd contract for Foles? So on the off chance he does have a Tannehill-like rise from the dead situation CHI will have to go to the negotiating table. That says two things to me. ONE, we have so many doubts about Trubisky we had to get a backup that may end up our starter at some point. And TWO, the guy we brought in probably won't play well enough to warrant expecting a new contract even when he gets in the game. 
I was just going to say, the demise of the Rams seems to have gone a little bit unnoticed. Only a couple of years ago they were the darlings of the league. Now they are looking very average.

I was just going to say, the demise of the Rams seems to have gone a little bit unnoticed. Only a couple of years ago they were the darlings of the league. Now they are looking very average.
Between the Gurley contract, losing Suh, essentially swapping Marcus Peters + 2020 1st + 2021 1st + 2021 4th FOR Jalen Ramsey + Kenny Young + 2020 5th, and now the Flowers out and Floyd in...... this team is going backwards fast. If they really do trade away Cooks as some have suggested they will due to salary cap reasons they might just go ahead and rebuild. Without a 1st round pick in 2020 or 2021. Eeesh.

BoltBacker said:
Floyd is a better player than Beasley is. Floyd can at least defend the run well. Beasley sucks at everything, and should be a vet minimum guy. He's been a liability since 2016, and wasn't all that great then either. That doesn't make the Floyd move good(its not) but I wouldn't put it in the bottom 10. As a Bears fan, for the money I'd have rather kept Floyd, than signed Quinn for top money. 

I'd add the Titans giving away a high-end DL in Jurell Casey for a 7. Casey was arguably the best player on their defense. That is arguably worse than the Campbell trade, because at least the Jags are tanking. The Titans are contenders.

I'd add the Titans giving away a high-end DL in Jurell Casey for a 7. Casey was arguably the best player on their defense. That is arguably worse than the Campbell trade, because at least the Jags are tanking. The Titans are contenders.
That's a great one, and is exacerbated by the ridiculous Tannehill contract that forces moves like this to be made. 

I can't believe there are people out there saying, "Well, they know what they have in Tannehill" as if the entire rest of his career was some sort of fever dream and based on less than a full season we can just chalk up a HOF level of efficiency from this point forward. It's weird to me that Jimmy G gets so much criticism for not being able to pass the 49ers to victory in the playoffs but somehow Tannehill failed in the exact same situation but people just give him a pass. Weird.

That's a great one, and is exacerbated by the ridiculous Tannehill contract that forces moves like this to be made. 

I can't believe there are people out there saying, "Well, they know what they have in Tannehill" as if the entire rest of his career was some sort of fever dream and based on less than a full season we can just chalk up a HOF level of efficiency from this point forward. It's weird to me that Jimmy G gets so much criticism for not being able to pass the 49ers to victory in the playoffs but somehow Tannehill failed in the exact same situation but people just give him a pass. Weird.
I think Tannehill gets more of a pass because the Titans weren't expected to be there, so they had already exceeded expectations, where as the 49ers were Super Bowl or bust as the #1 seed.

I think Tannehill and Garoppolo are about equal players, in that they are ok starters, who can only excel when everything around them is firing on all cylinders. Tier 3 guys I'd call them, where they are the middle of that group, with guys like Cousins/Goff at the top, and Carr/Foles at the bottom.

5.  Stefon Diggs acquisition by Buffalo. Good player but price way to steep for my taste and just not of believe Diggs was right kind of WR for Buffalo. I get that John Brown did find but Allen still struggles with accuracy and Diggs is a precision route runner. Thought a WR with a bigger catch radius made more sense. You know like Hopkins would have made perfect sense.
Yeah, but the price to acquire Hopkins was too steep. 😁

I always thought the Lions had a copyright on the thread title, but apparently it expired and the Texans swooped in and claimed it.
I dunno, the Rams are about 14 months removed from playing in the SuperBowl and they just voluntarily committed salary cap suicide for the 2020 season all so their BILLIONAIRE owner can save some real world dollars. That might vault them to #1 on my list. Say what you want about Bill O'Brien but at least he was doing something that HE genuinely believes made his team better(even if none of us agree). What the Rams did obviously made their team worse but more importantly require several other moves that will also make the team worse. It seems like a good day if you were a STL Rams fan. Kroenke showing his true colors here. I would be pretty ticked off if I had bought LA Rams season tickets and the owner is trying to make the team worse.

I dunno, the Rams are about 14 months removed from playing in the SuperBowl and they just voluntarily committed salary cap suicide for the 2020 season all so their BILLIONAIRE owner can save some real world dollars. That might vault them to #1 on my list. Say what you want about Bill O'Brien but at least he was doing something that HE genuinely believes made his team better(even if none of us agree). What the Rams did obviously made their team worse but more importantly require several other moves that will also make the team worse. It seems like a good day if you were a STL Rams fan. Kroenke showing his true colors here. I would be pretty ticked off if I had bought LA Rams season tickets and the owner is trying to make the team worse.
Saving 10 million dollars is a bad idea you're saying? Must be nice.

Stan Kroenke's net worth is $10 BILLION and growing.

$10 Million to him is approximately like $100 is to someone that makes $100k.

They didn't make this move for Stan Kroenke.

Stan Kroenke's net worth is $10 BILLION and growing.

$10 Million to him is approximately like $100 is to someone that makes $100k.

They didn't make this move for Stan Kroenke.
Then why did they do it? It certainly didn't help their cap situation. It certainly didn't make their team any better.

Saving 10 million dollars is a bad idea you're saying? Must be nice.
Depends. If you have a SB contending team in a brand new stadium you just might make more than $10mil by being a contender. Not that LA fans are so fickle they would just bail on a team because it's not contending. That never happens.

So they "cut Gurley specifically on Thursday to save $10.5 million in bonus and injury guarantees, but the cost of chasing the dazzle will run deep." That's NOT to save on the salary cap. That's to save out of Kroenkes pocket.

So just to be clear, you are saying the LA Rams today are better than the LA Rams without Gurley and without Clay Mathews, or without Dante Flowler, or without Corely Littleton, or without Michaeld Brockers?????? And they are better because they don't have to answer any more questions about Gurley and his state of health? If that's your position that's fine. But they could have simply kept Gurley and would have had a much better chance to keep one or more of those defensive contributors this season had they not cut him.

For the record, I like Bill Plashke in general although I don't regularly read his column. We will see if fickle la fans will be as impressed with "contract dazzle" when they are trying to fill their new stadium. I felt like Lev Bell and Nick Foles had plenty of "contract dazzle" so I'm not sure if that's a recipe for success. I assume MIA pulled off a coup with extra "contract dazzle" with Ereck Flowers. Does Bill O'Brien get credit for "trade dazzle" this offseason..... everyone is talking. That's for sure.

Measuring team success in "dazzle" must be an la thing.

You don't keep paying a sunk cost just because of the name. No way you pay Gurley that money when it can be allocated somewhere else. They went all in on a number of questionable overpays and didn't even make it close to the dance. Plus they have to pay Ramsey and keep paying for that obscenely over-budget new stadium of theirs... had to trim the fat. Not paying Littleton was a curious move, but as far as I an see they are trying to revamp the O-line to keep Goff somewhat functional; Ramsey seems to be the only guy on D they'll spend on.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way you pay Gurley that money when it can be allocated somewhere else.
That's the part I don't understand... they have LESS money to allocate somewhere else BECAUSE they chose to cut Gurley. Kroenke is saving money by cutting Gurley but the team actually has less salary cap to work with. Even if you thought the team is a better team without Gurley I don't know how anyone can think it's better without Gurley AND a defensive contributor that they are forced to lose by cutting Gurley.

That's the part I don't understand... they have LESS money to allocate somewhere else BECAUSE they chose to cut Gurley. Kroenke is saving money by cutting Gurley but the team actually has less salary cap to work with. Even if you thought the team is a better team without Gurley I don't know how anyone can think it's better without Gurley AND a defensive contributor that they are forced to lose by cutting Gurley.
If I'm reading this article correctly the Rams saved $5.5mm with the release, and an additional $2.5mm with the Atlanta signing. So it freed up $8mm, which hopefully goes toward OL.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/19/nfl-rams-salary-cap-todd-gurley-clay-matthews-release/

The Rams rapid fall back to earth was telegraphed and very predictable. You can't pay everyone top dollar while still having multiple players needing a new contract. At the time, their moves screamed that salary cap purgatory was waiting around the corner. It's hard enough to have one SB year, let alone to stay in contention multiple years.

If I'm reading this article correctly the Rams saved $5.5mm with the release, and an additional $2.5mm with the Atlanta signing. So it freed up $8mm, which hopefully goes toward OL.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/19/nfl-rams-salary-cap-todd-gurley-clay-matthews-release/
I didn't know about the offset language part. As for spending $20+Mil of salary cap to NOT have Gurley on your roster whether it's this season or next just seems crazy to me. Maybe they will re-negotiate players at that time, or they will get lucky and Goff will blow out his knee so they can spread that hit over the next four years.

I just think they are going to have a tough time replacing the Clay Mathews 8 sacks for $8mil..... I certainly have my doubts Leonard Floyds $10mil contract will do it. Based on your link it sounds like we really can't know what their salary cap situation is until the details of the Floyd, Robinson, and Blythe contracts are. We just no that they were forced to cut Clay and will be paying ~$20mil not to have Gurley on their team anymore.

Interesting link.

Colts lose O-lineman Joe Haeg to TB.  Haeg can play guard or tackle.  Was depth insurance for the Colts, but good enough to start.  If you believe that you win in the trenches, this could be a big loss for them when injuries hit.   

So they "cut Gurley specifically on Thursday to save $10.5 million in bonus and injury guarantees, but the cost of chasing the dazzle will run deep." That's NOT to save on the salary cap. That's to save out of Kroenkes pocket.

So just to be clear, you are saying the LA Rams today are better than the LA Rams without Gurley and without Clay Mathews, or without Dante Flowler, or without Corely Littleton, or without Michaeld Brockers?????? And they are better because they don't have to answer any more questions about Gurley and his state of health? If that's your position that's fine. But they could have simply kept Gurley and would have had a much better chance to keep one or more of those defensive contributors this season had they not cut him.

For the record, I like Bill Plashke in general although I don't regularly read his column. We will see if fickle la fans will be as impressed with "contract dazzle" when they are trying to fill their new stadium. I felt like Lev Bell and Nick Foles had plenty of "contract dazzle" so I'm not sure if that's a recipe for success. I assume MIA pulled off a coup with extra "contract dazzle" with Ereck Flowers. Does Bill O'Brien get credit for "trade dazzle" this offseason..... everyone is talking. That's for sure.

Measuring team success in "dazzle" must be an la thing.
First off, stay away from window ledges.

They played like crap and lost with all of them last year, they can play like crap and lose without them. 

they just voluntarily committed salary cap suicide for the 2020 season all so their BILLIONAIRE owner can save some real world dollars.
I’m sure the $10.5MM in real dollars came into play with the timing but I think the real reason they did it was to rip the band aid off quickly and not have to go through this again next season. The contract itself was more the issue.

voiceofunreason said:
First off, stay away from window ledges.

They played like crap and lost with all of them last year, they can play like crap and lose without them. 
I'm fine. But I'm not a Rams season ticket holder. How much will they be charging for parking at the new stadium again?

Dr. Octopus said:
I’m sure the $10.5MM in real dollars came into play with the timing but I think the real reason they did it was to rip the band aid off quickly and not have to go through this again next season. The contract itself was more the issue.
:goodposting:

I didn't think they would have this sort of foresight. They buried themselves with the moves they made beginning in 17. They are still going to have to navigate some pain, but this is one sunk cost they needed to just get rid of.

Stefon Diggs acquisition by Buffalo. Good player but price way to steep for my taste and just not of believe Diggs was right kind of WR for Buffalo. I get that John Brown did find but Allen still struggles with accuracy and Diggs is a precision route runner. 
Also, :goodposting:

The Bills needed to spend resources to continue to mask Allen. Not give him more toys. This was not only an overpay, but a very poor fit. 

I'd add the Jags trading their best defensive player and arguably 2nd best defensive player for 2 day 3 picks. Its crazy that 3 years ago the Jags had the best defense in the NFL, and now, I would argue, might have the worst. 
Sustained success is not built around defense. These moves will be painful for 2020 Jacksonville, but they were necessary for future Jacksonville. I'm just surprised the retained decision makers are going forward with such a plan. Maybe Coughlin just was that toxic. 

CHI - Tripling down on bad TE decisions year after year after year

Speaking of Foles, Chicago has ####ed themselves for the foreseeable future. Between those two adds and Robert Quinn they are now over the cap in 2020 and already nearing it in 2021, with very little draft capital this year as well. Foles, Quinn, and Graham are not going to cure what ails them. This regime is sunk. 

I don't follow how they save the $5.5M part.

His cap hit was set to be $17.25M. His dead cap hit is now $20.15M. Since they are choosing to designate him as a post June 1 cut, it gets spread over the 2020 and 2021 caps. Is it not spread equally? If so, it would be $10.075M each year.

That would be a savings of roughly $7.2M, not $5.5M. Then add the $2.5M, and it would amount to clearing almost $10M in cap space for 2020 by pushing roughly that amount of dead cap money into 2021. I can see now why this move made sense, given the dire cap situation they created for themselves.

I get that the $5.5M was actual salary that would have become guaranteed this week, and thus was part of his $17.25M cap hit, but that is irrelevant since he was released.

Regardless, this was one of the worst contracts in NFL history. It was really stupid for the Rams to put so many dates into the contract that triggered future guaranteed bonuses and salary. Either Gurley's agent is really smart, the Rams are really dumb, or both.

Surprised not to see DEN signing Gordon mentioned in here. Given they had Freeman and Lindsay, and given the likelihood (IMO) that no other team would have given him close to $8M/year, it seems like a terrible move.

Surprised not to see DEN signing Gordon mentioned in here. Given they had Freeman and Lindsay, and given the likelihood (IMO) that no other team would have given him close to $8M/year, it seems like a terrible move.
It was a bad move, but it isnt in the bottom 5 conversation either. 

Giants signing Blake Martinez for 10 million per. Guy is constantly out of position, either by reading the play wrong or being moved physically. 

Giants signing Blake Martinez for 10 million per. Guy is constantly out of position, either by reading the play wrong or being moved physically. 
Agreed, but also, he's still a lot better than what Green Bay replaced him with. 

Speaking of Foles, Chicago has ####ed themselves for the foreseeable future. Between those two adds and Robert Quinn they are now over the cap in 2020 and already nearing it in 2021, with very little draft capital this year as well. Foles, Quinn, and Graham are not going to cure what ails them. This regime is sunk. 
I can defend the Foles move a little. He's a decent player at the most important position. He's not a cure all for sure, but he's an upgrade. Not as much as Brady/Rivers would have been, but he's at least better than Trubisky. 

Quinn and Graham I can't. Graham is a borderline NFL player at this point, I thought there was a chance he might be forced into retirement from lack of interest. He should be a veteran minimum guy at this point. Does he do anything well at this point? Quinn is getting paid like he's a top edge rusher, when he's a one dimensional player, who is only decent at that dimension. He's ideally a situational player.

The thing with Foles is Chicago doesn't have many resources the next 2 years and the top of their food chain is on the hot seat. He isn't gonna vault them over the top and he puts the next regime behind the curve because they're saddled with his contract next year. 

Users who are viewing this thread