What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Census and the virus (1 Viewer)

Rich Conway

Footballguy
At what point do we have to postpone the 2020 Census?  Normally, we would start sending workers door-to-door in the spring.  That's obviously not going to happen anytime soon, and very possibly not until next year.  What long-term problems does it create if we postpone until next year?

At what point do we have to postpone the 2020 Census?  Normally, we would start sending workers door-to-door in the spring.  That's obviously not going to happen anytime soon, and very possibly not until next year.  What long-term problems does it create if we postpone until next year?
Wouldn't we need a constitutional amendment to postpone it?  

Maybe?  Would we instead just encourage people to do it online or by mail?  That seems like we'd be undercounting a lot of areas and demographics.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2020/modifying-2020-operations-for-counting-college-students.html

We’re delaying our Early Nonresponse Followup operation.

In this operation, census takers begin following up with households that haven’t responded yet around some colleges and universities. By starting early, we can count households in areas with off-campus housing before the end of the spring semester when students may leave for another residence. We’re delaying the start of this effort from April 9 to April 23.

Maybe?  Would we instead just encourage people to do it online or by mail?  That seems like we'd be undercounting a lot of areas and demographics.
The encouragement is always for households to respond on their own. Door knocking is expensive. Coronavirus is just added complexity. 

We’re delaying the start of this effort from April 9 to April 23.
If they’re not going to do it on April 9, they’re definitely not going to do it on April 23 when things will about 8.5 times worse.

They should move it up to March 26 or back to June.

Does it have to be completed in 2020?  Or does just beginning it satisfy the constitution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why postpone? So many sitting at home and so simple to do online. I did mine in less than 10 minutes.

Why postpone? So many sitting at home and so simple to do online. I did mine in less than 10 minutes.
A lot of people don't/won't.  My thought process is that if census-takers don't go door-to-door like normal, we will significantly undercount certain areas and/or demographics.  Is that worth postponing (assuming such would be legal/possible at all)?  I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread