What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft

Google Doc:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VJZUx08snc5TZ_X1JsXEA_uly8J0KGoV7EfOuTj4jfQ/edit?usp=sharing

Spotify Playlist:https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2fqOCz8K1WMANQC4zpOCid?si=abM9KxPjRqySFfoa-5bG2A

Concept:

We've talked about a few times in the past. Basically your favourite songs and albums when you were 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 years old. It is as much about the write up and reasons why you selected the song/album as the "draft" itself. Essentially it could just be a thread but doing it as a draft hopefully makes for more fun discussion and distraction as we go along.

The 5-10-15-20 concept is based on the Pitchfork series of the same name - https://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/

Rules:

1 - Rounds/Picks - To start we will use ages 5-50 and alternating rounds for songs and albums because that makes for a nice 20 round draft... but not all of us are 50 yet. The simple thing to do for that is simply allow those under 50 to double up on an age/ages of their choice or drop out after they reach the current age. If someone wants to predict what they'll be listening to in those future ages, sure, why not.

2 - Chronology - We will draft in order.  Since we are different ages, it will be cool to see what each of us were listening to at 5 years old, then 10 years old etc... one day and then move on to the next? It will go round 1 - "songs of my life" at 5 years old, round 2 - "albums of my life" at 5 years old, and so on and so forth. 

3 - Duplication - Duplication of albums/artists/songs is allowed, if a certain album was that meaningful to us, we break the draft :nerd: cardinal sin and allow the same song or album to be drafted twice.

4 - No Spotlighting - Because of age differences, that song that might have been a "near miss" for you at age 5, that you may be tempted to talk about, may be the song of choice for someone at age 15. For that reason, we won't talk about albums and songs not drafted. Obviously once an album is drafted, all songs on it can fairly be discussed. We don't want to discourage the dialogue, just make sure we're aware that other people might be waiting to pick a song in a future round that has special meaning to them. 

5 - Timing  - Slow draft - one pick per day - we are interested in the reasons why the song was meaningful to you at that age, or why a song from that time of your life has stuck with you through the passing of years. The hope is a single pick per day allows everyone who wants to to not only participate but also listen to each others songs and comment. 

Participants (latecomers welcome):

• AcerFC
  • Binky the Doormat
  • Bonzai
  • Charlie Steiner
  • Eephus
  • El Floppo
  • FairWarning
  • Hov34
  • Ilov80s
  • John Madden's Lunchbox
  • JZilla
  • Karma Police
  • lakerstan
  • Mrs Rannous
  • Northern Voice
  • otb_lifer
  • Quint
  • rockaction
  • simey
  • Steve Tasker
  • The Dreaded Marco
  • timschochet
  • Uruk-Hai
  • wikkidpissah
  • zamboni

Tentative Draft Picks by Round/Date

• Thursday March 19 - Round 1 - Songs of my life - 5 years old
  • Friday March 20 - Round 2 - Albums of my life - 5 years old
  • Weekend March 21/22 - Round 3 - Songs of my life - 10 years old
  • Monday March 23 - Round 4 - Albums of my life - 10 years old
  • Tuesday March 24 - Round 5 - Songs of my life - 15 years old
  • Wednesday March 25 - Round 6 - Albums of my life - 15 years old
  • Thursday March 26 - Round 7 - Songs of my life - 20 years old
  • Friday March 27 - Round 8 - Albums of my life - 20 years old
  • Weekend March 28/29 - Round 9 - Songs of my life - 25 years old
  • Monday March 30 - Round 10 - Albums of my life - 25 years old
  • Tuesday March 31 - Round 11 - Songs of my life - 30 years old
  • Wednesday April 1 - Round 12 - Albums of my life - 30 years old
  • Thursday April 2 - Round 13 - Songs of my life - 35 years old
  • Friday April 3 - Round 14 - Albums of my life - 35 years old
  • Weekend April 4/5 - Round 15 - Songs of my life - 40 years old
  • Monday April 6 - Round 16 - Albums of my life - 40 years old
  • Tuesday April 7 - Round 17 - Songs of my life - 45 years old
  • Wednesday April 8 - Round 18 - Albums of my life - 45 years old
  • Thursday April 9 - Round 19 - Songs of my life - 50 years old
  • Friday April 10 - Round 20 - Albums of my life - 50 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we'll easily  have enough people to make this a go, so let's kick it off tomorrow. People can continue to jump in at any point. 

Time for another music draft?

I'd like to throw out there the 

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft

This one we've talked about a few times in the past. Basically your favourite songs and albums when you were 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 years old. It would be a slow draft - one song or album per day and it would be more about the write up and reasons why you selected the song/album. Essentially it could just be a thread but doing it as one per day would allow us all to listen to the songs and albums and make for some fun discussion and distraction as we go along. Hopefully this slow one per day format would allow people like @The Dreaded Marco who is working on the frontlines to still be able to participate with a pick in the evening as well.

The 5-10-15-20 concept is based on the Pitchfork series of the same name - https://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/

Issues:

1 - I went from ages 5-50 and songs and albums because that makes for a nice 20 round draft... but not all of us are 50 yet. I think the simple thing to do for that is simply allow those under 50 to double up on an age/ages of their choice or drop out after they reach the current age. If someone wants to predict what they'll be listening to in those future ages, sure, why not.

2 - Chronology/Duplication - Would we want to draft in order? Since we are different ages, it might be cool to see what each of us were listening to at 5 years old, then 10 years old etc... one day and then move on to the next? But I'm fine also with it being a free for all, scarcity isn't really an issue here.  Also, would this be the one draft where duplication would be allowed, if a certain album was that meaningful to us, maybe we break the draft :nerd: cardinal sin and allow the same song or album to be drafted twice.

Other Ideas/Suggestions for Improvement/Who's in?
I'd like to be IN--unless I get sick 🤧.  Or if, after today, my house craters in another quake.  :scared:   It should be a fun distraction.

I should be able to keep up.

I'd prefer chronological rather than free for all.  And I agree with you that duplicates should be allowed as we all will have different stories for loving the same song/album.

My picks are going to be sooooo bad :lol:  
We know - we have done a lot of drafts with you.   :P

I am in. 

I assume this isn't a hard 5, 10, etc.  I am thinking about certain bands/albums/songs that dominated my youth but some arent right at those ages.  I think 15 on would be for sure easier to nail down.  

We know - we have done of drafts with you.   :P

I am in. 

I assume this isn't a hard 5, 10, etc.  I am thinking about certain bands/albums/songs that dominated my youth but some arent right at those ages.  I think 15 on would be for sure easier to nail down.  
Yeah that's right, more that period of time in your life.

Duplicates are fine. Might even be fun to see the same people discovering and loving the same album at age 15 and age 35 respectively and where they were in their lives/why it hit so strong with them. 
I guess the one thing that comes with this is that we have to be pretty strict on a "no spotlighting" rule. Because that song that you might want to talk about as a near miss for your pick when you were five years old, might be the one that someone else is planning on choosing for when they were 15 years old, because of the difference in our ages

not sure how long Shelter In Place will be in effect, but i think i'll have enough time to participate while the winery is closed. 

IN

In so far:

• AcerFC
  • Binky the Doormat
  • Charlie Steiner
  • Eephus
  • El Floppo
  • FairWarning
  • Hov34
  • Karma Police
  • lakerstan
  • Northern Voice
  • otb_lifer
  • Quint
  • rockaction
  • The Dreaded Marco
  • timschochet
  • Uruk-Hai
  • wikkidpissah
  • zamboni

Updated first post with the google doc, spotify playlist, tentative schedule and these rules. Let me know if anything is missing/wrong/should be changed.

Rules:

1 - Rounds/Picks - To start we will use ages 5-50 and alternating rounds for songs and albums because that makes for a nice 20 round draft... but not all of us are 50 yet. The simple thing to do for that is simply allow those under 50 to double up on an age/ages of their choice or drop out after they reach the current age. If someone wants to predict what they'll be listening to in those future ages, sure, why not.

2 - Chronology - We will draft in order.  Since we are different ages, it will be cool to see what each of us were listening to at 5 years old, then 10 years old etc... one day and then move on to the next. It will go round 1 - "songs of my life" at 5 years old, round 2 - "albums of my life" at 5 years old, and so on and so forth. 

3 - Duplication - Duplication of albums/artists/songs is allowed, if a certain album was that meaningful to us, we break the draft :nerd: cardinal sin and allow the same song or album to be drafted twice.

4 - No Spotlighting - Because of age differences, that song that might have been a "near miss" for you at age 5, that you may be tempted to talk about, may be the song of choice for someone at age 15. For that reason, we won't talk about albums and songs not drafted. Obviously once an album is drafted, all songs on it can fairly be discussed. We don't want to discourage the dialogue, just make sure we're aware that other people might be waiting to pick a song in a future round that has special meaning to them. 

5 - Timing  - Slow draft - one pick per day - we are interested in the reasons why the song was meaningful to you at that age, or why a song from that time of your life has stuck with you through the passing of years. The hope is a single pick per day allows everyone who wants to to not only participate but also listen to each others songs and comment. 

There is no draft order - one pick per person per day. Let's say the draft starts/picks are fair game as of 10 AM Eastern/7 AM Pacific tomorrow. Because I'm anxious to get it going but don't want Eephus yelling at me about East Coast Bias.

And I think everyone is on the same page but just to be clear, it doesn't matter when the song/album was released. If you were 10 years old in 1993 but want to draft something from the 50s/60s/70s/80s there because it was what was meaningful to you at that age, that should be the pick. 

Though if you took something from the 00s there we may question it.

Users who are viewing this thread