What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Another interesting thing about the Violent Femmes show

I was on the older side of the crowd, for SURE.. and I was 11 when that was released, heard it when I was 18 maybe?

Talk about your timeless set of tunes

A unique arc definitely

And it's just these old dudes up there, "we are gonna keep playing these songs as long as you all will pay!"
I could see that. It's the precocious sixteen year-olds' album, for sure, maybe even fourteen. It's definitely a timeless set of tunes for a certain age. I can't really listen to it too much anymore, that's for sure. It had its moment. 

no ...all good, on track. 

Were any of your friends listening to the Zombies in the late 90s?  

I love them. 
No, they really weren't. I'd become sort of the hub of that stuff for my friends back then. They got me into other things. We were pretty diverse back then. I had a love of nineties punk and mid-sixties rock going on. I think I saw the box set of Zombies Heaven and its beautiful cover, and I remembered how good the songs were from listening to oldies stations in my youth, so I purchased it. I remember Alec Paolo and Tom Petty wrote the liner notes and introduction, respectively. Just a well-done set, IMHO.

Back then I was also listening to Mitch Ryder, the Dave Clark Five, a lot of bands that exemplified that '65 sound, really. 

he was supposed to be the Next Big Thing a gen ago. reminds me of a lot of guys from my old circuit in the 70s (Tom Rush, Leo Kottke, James Taylor's brothers)- very talented, good performer, give you honest return for your concert dollar, just didnt write particularly compelling or catchy songs
As far as I know, Leo Kottke never shared a bed with Laura Dern

I saw them at the old I-Beam on Haight Street in 1983.  :bag:
last show I saw at the i-beam was screamin' jay hawkins... with our old buddy cintra! she was flirting up a storm with screamin' jay from the floor. had extra effect for two reasons- A: cintra. part deux: there was literally nobody else there... we were the only people in attendance (maybe somebody at the bar).  he pretty much just performed for her- it was fantastic.

last show I saw at the i-beam was screamin' jay hawkins... with our old buddy cintra! she was flirting up a storm with screamin' jay from the floor. had extra effect for two reasons- A: cintra. part deux: there was literally nobody else there... we were the only people in attendance (maybe somebody at the bar).  he pretty much just performed for her- it was fantastic.
Cintra's former boyfriend makes an appearance tomorrow.

Last show I saw at the I-beam was Meat Beat Manifesto..good times. 

Round 8.xx - 20 Year-Old Album

Well, it should be something that was social more so than an independent musical journey, because we lived in a five-person suite with two bedrooms and a common area. Most likely, if you were there in the spring (I was twenty) you heard me and my roommates playing this

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

I was supposed to transfer to play hockey after my sophomore year and decided not to do so thanks to the strength of friendships made on campus. This album and our scene had a lot to do with that. Of course, those were halcyon days and things never work out the way a nineteen/twenty year old plans, but I'll never forget those spring and summer nights, sitting in our hall, generally jamming down. "Please, please, please do not go," was the refrain, and it was heeded. We'd spend the summer in Boston and at that time, we couldn't do anything wrong. I was more into punk as the spring and summer wore on as my true stripes showed. The Rip Offs, The Queers, The Muffs, Screeching Weasel  -- they all were primary, but this was the album that most defined the twenty year-old I was, social as I'd ever be, reveling in the adulation of a bunch of other nineteen or twenty year-old contrarians, twenty of us deep, marching to the future all together, undivided.

To borrow from Grease!, Oh! Those Summer Nights...
This was very big in college for me even though it was a few years old by then.

47. This is the songs we listened to at that age, not when the songs came out, right?  If not, then I've been very wrong on many occasions. 
I’ve tried to mostly pick contemporary music - for the time - that I listened to to help narrow it down, but you’re interpretation is correct.

I’ve tried to mostly pick contemporary music - for the time - that I listened to to help narrow it down, but you’re interpretation is correct.
I messed that up right out of the gate with a Captain Kangaroo record that came out eight years earlier.

Last show I saw at the I-beam was Meat Beat Manifesto..good times. 
The I-Beam was a great place to dance and hang out but it wasn't so good for live music.  The stage was low since it normally served as a dance platform for extroverts.  The sound bounced off the wall with the video screens and went up to the high ceiling to get lost.  Still miss it though.

I think he meant to say Alice Donut (the band) liver Henry Moore?

That's Flop's phone, though. Always talkin' jive. There was a band from Alternative Tentacles called Alice Donut, a play off of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. They were Alice Donut Liver Henry Moore, according to a web page I just looked at. I did know of the band beforehand, just not its evolution in naming.

Still don't get Flop's phone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he meant to say Alice Donut (the band) liver Henry Moore?

That's Flop's phone, though. Always talkin' jive. There was a band from Alternative Tentacles called Alice Donut, a play off of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. They were Alice Donut Liver Henry Moore, according to a web page I just looked at. I did know of the band beforehand, just not its evolution in naming.

Still don't get Flop's phone. 
I saw them in their full name.

I hear donut. I think of the band.

This is going to be a bit of a cheat, but it's on spotify, so it counts - dammit!!  Now it's time for some Radiohead.  I was late to the game, not so much in terms of owning CDs, but more in terms of falling in love.  I had Pablo, I vividly remember having The Bends, but something clicked later with OK and it was about '98 that I was listening to that over and over.  Then came Kid A.  I remember there was an "album realease" on what I believe was a channel on DirecTV.   Another big RH fan and I sat down to listen and were basically :oldunsure: the whole time.  Did not click at all, and I was hesitant to listen to it much any more.  It was sort of a sad moment in my musical arc.  Then comes the tour for the album, my now wife and I go to a few shows, and instantly when I heard those songs live, I was in love all over again.  I still love the album now, but there was something about hearing them perform them, having more guitar sound, etc.. that really blew me away.  For those reasons, what I came up with was:

25 year old song:  Radiohead - Morning Bell (live)

This is going to be a bit of a cheat, but it's on spotify, so it counts - dammit!!  Now it's time for some Radiohead.  I was late to the game, not so much in terms of owning CDs, but more in terms of falling in love.  I had Pablo, I vividly remember having The Bends, but something clicked later with OK and it was about '98 that I was listening to that over and over.  Then came Kid A.  I remember there was an "album realease" on what I believe was a channel on DirecTV.   Another big RH fan and I sat down to listen and were basically :oldunsure: the whole time.  Did not click at all, and I was hesitant to listen to it much any more.  It was sort of a sad moment in my musical arc.  Then comes the tour for the album, my now wife and I go to a few shows, and instantly when I heard those songs live, I was in love all over again.  I still love the album now, but there was something about hearing them perform them, having more guitar sound, etc.. that really blew me away.  For those reasons, what I came up with was:

25 year old song:  Radiohead - Morning Bell (live)
you were supposed to pick Fake Plastic Trees so i could exclaim "That's a 25 year old song!" here on 5-10-20 Comedy Night. Purel the veal

For this exercise I wrote down my DI bands - top 10 style.   Found it interesting that only 2 I have mentioned so far, and that got me thinking more about how I came to a handful of these other bands and albums in the last 15-20 years.   This might be a reversal thing where my 30 and 40 year selections are mostly from 40+ years ago.  

For this exercise I wrote down my DI bands - top 10 style.   Found it interesting that only 2 I have mentioned so far, and that got me thinking more about how I came to a handful of these other bands and albums in the last 15-20 years.   This might be a reversal thing where my 30 and 40 year selections are mostly from 40+ years ago.  
My musical trajectory, strangely, did not happen in the pre-specified years. That's why it will be wonderful to go back through and get our two freebies that we get because we haven't turned fifty yet. I think they'll have to be used wisely. Or, heck, I can just list the years in chronology and what was formative for me. Nobody has to read; nobody gonna break a' my stride (a shout out to tim's New Wave Thousand)

I'm realizing in most drafts I lean haaaaaaaaaaaard into bands from my age 20-27 years. 

'Cause most kids give me credit for being down with it
When it was back in the day back when things were way different
When the youth of today and the early seven seconds
Taught me some of lifes most valuable lessons

My musical trajectory, strangely, did not happen in the pre-specified years. That's why it will be wonderful to go back through and get our two freebies that we get because we haven't turned fifty yet. I think they'll have to be used wisely. Or, heck, I can just list the years in chronology and what was formative for me. Nobody has to read; nobody gonna break a' my stride (a shout out to tim's New Wave Thousand)
Forgot about those.  

I like the years, it's making me think hard, but it has made me pass over stuff I listened to a lot but I didn't include because I was trying to stay within a year of the time period - Pumpkins, Soundgarden, PJ, etc.. 

So this is the new year
And I have no resolutions
For self assigned penance
For problems with easy solutions

So everybody put your best suit or dress on
Let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
Lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
As thirty dialogues bleed into one

I wish the world was flat like the old days
Then I could travel just by folding a map
No more airplanes, or speed trains, or freeways
There'd be no distance that can hold us back