What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

You can still jump in mid stream if you want. I'm a few rounds behind on the google sheet anyway, hoping to get caught up today, can add you in at the same time. 
I may do that...but dont ever hold this thing up for me if I'm stalling.  I took a new gig at work a couple months ago and my internetting time is almost nonexistent most days. 

There's gonna come a time when the true scene leaders
Forget where they differ and get big picture
'cause the kids at their shows, they'll have kids of their own
The sing-a-long songs will be our scriptures

My musical trajectory, strangely, did not happen in the pre-specified years. That's why it will be wonderful to go back through and get our two freebies that we get because we haven't turned fifty yet. I think they'll have to be used wisely. Or, heck, I can just list the years in chronology and what was formative for me. Nobody has to read; nobody gonna break a' my stride (a shout out to tim's New Wave Thousand)
We get freebies?

age 5 
Year:  1978
song:   Theme from CHiPs

This song played in my head nonstop when cruising around on my training-wheels bike 

Age 5
Album: The Carpenters - The Singles: 1969–1973

Like most folks, this is a byproduct of what your parents played in the house.   It between this and one other album not picked (the artist was, but not the album, so I won't spotlight).  But for any single album to take my back to the age of 5, this is it.  Most of these songs take me back to  with coming in from the snow, feezing cold, putting on a pair of warm socks and sitting in the kitchen talking to Mom while she made hot chocolate.  

age 10 
year: 1983
song: Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf

age 10 
album
Men at Work - Business as Usual

spent the entire summer at the neighborhood pool.  This song and this album are at the forefront of those memories.   Sunburn, eyes stinging from chlorine, a chafed ### from riding my bike home in wet swim trunks....

age 5 
song:   Theme from CHiPs

This song played in my head nonstop when cruising around on my training-wheels bike 

Age 5
Album: The Carpenters - The Singles: 1969–1973

Like most folks, this is a byproduct of what your parents played in the house.   It between this and one other album not picked (the artist was, but not the album, so I won't spotlight).  But for any single album to take my back to the age of 5, this is it.  Most of these songs take me back to  with coming in from the snow, feezing cold, putting on a pair of warm socks and sitting in the kitchen talking to Mom while she made hot chocolate.  

age 10 
song: Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf

age 10 
album

spent the entire summer at the neighborhood pool.  This song and this album are at the forefront of those memories.   Sunburn, eyes stinging from chlorine, a chafed ### from riding my bike home in wet swim trunks....
Five likes.  Two for the Carpenters.

age 10 

album

Men At Work should have been my age ten pick over Power Station. The dates align better and I can remember the song "Underground," which might be appropriate today. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I don't have a clue who Maria Mckee or Lone Justice are
McKee was quite the attractive one in her day.

If you want a good laugh, former Undertones singer Feargal Sharkey had a huge hit written by McKee about her disintegrating relationship with Tom Petty keyboardist Benmont Tench 

it was called A Good Heart (these days is hard to find). It reached number one in the UK and Australia and was top 3 in most of the world

Sharkeys next single was Tenchs version of the relationship called You Little Thief ( You little whore). It was top 5 in the UK and Australia and charted well in most if the world. 

I've got a lot of old friends that're getting back in touch
And it's a pretty good feeling yea it feels pretty good

I get a lot of double takes when I'm coming round the corners
And its mostly pretty nice its mostly pretty alright

'Cause most kids give me credit for being down with it
When it was back in the day back when things were way different
When the youth of today and the early seven seconds
Taught me some of lifes most valuable lessons

There's gonna come a time when the scene will seem less sunny
It'll probably get druggy and the kids will seem to skinny
There's gonna come a time when shes gonna have to go
With whoevers gonna get her the highest

There's gonna come a time when the true scene leaders
Forget where they differ and get big picture
'cause the kids at their shows, they'll have kids of their own
The sing-a-long songs will be our scriptures
We gotta stay positive
We gotta stay positive
We gotta stay positive
We gotta stay positive

Alright, here we go for age 25 song.

This one is all about the live music experience. The biggest differences as I moved into my mid twenties was that for one thing, I was more into music than I had ever been in my life and for another, all of a sudden I had a lot of disposable income.

So this is the age that I started really going to a lot of concerts. Mostly in Toronto, it's only an hour or so up the highway, if traffic is good.

In my early concert days, the top band was Arkells, who I've now referenced twice but not drafted. Simply, they played in my hometown often and they got bigger and bigger and bigger and I've seen them so many times and being part of that rise was amazing.

But for live concert, small bar, Toronto experience, you can't compete with The Hold Steady.

I saw them twice on the Stay Positive tour, once at The Phoenix and the second time at Lee's Palace in Toronto. It is a legendary, low ceiling, graffiti themed, incredible acoustic, small capacity venue that is going on 35+ years. It's probably still my favourite concert ever.

If you're a Hold Steady fan, you've probably noticed they play favourites. On years they don't do a big tour, they do these sets of shows at 4 or 5 cities, where they do 3-4 nights a row in the same city... and they come to Toronto every single time. 

There is a love affair between Toronto and The Hold Steady and there is a greater love affair between The Hold Steady and their fans. As they say, "there is so much joy in what they do" and really not many other live shows come close to matching the outright jubilation, brotherhood and not stop sing alongs.

The referential stuff, the "smarts" in the lyrics, I love everything about this band. My first love album from these guys is Boys and Girls in America and then I went backwards to Separation Sunday and Almost Killed Me. By the time this album came out and I finally saw them live, every song from every album was scratched into my soul.

The album this comes from is my avatar and has been for quite some time. If I had to define my world view in two words, it would probably be "Stay Positive"... and yes, the fact that I'm taking this in the song category and not the album category means I'm taking that other 2008 album that means so much to a bunch of us next round... so apologies in advance to Marco and a couple others.

Anyway, with no further delays

Age 25 song - The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

I walk down to the ocean

After waking from a nightmare

No moon, no pale reflection

Black mirror, black mirror

20 Year Old Album:  Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 - George Michael (1990)

This album ended George Michael's run as a pop star, as he reinvented himself (much to the chagrin of Sony records) into an artist that wrote for himself and not for sales.  While Praying For Time and Freedom 90 were somewhat successful on the charts, this was a more mature sound. 

My favorite tracks are Cowboys and Angels - a 7 minute torch ballad in waltz time and Heal the Pain, which was later released as a duet with Paul McCartney.

This was his last record for several years due to a prolonged court battle over his contract, and unfortunately during that time I feel like he lost some of the power in his voice and I didn't care for his later work.  This is still when he was vocally in his prime, but broke out of the pop mold - his best album in my opinion.
This is such a beautiful album and a complete surprise. I was a fan of Michaels songwriting chops and his ability to do different genres, but this blew me away. Cowboys and Angels is such a lovely song

I'm a bit behind, so here's my 20 year old album pick:

Bermuda Triangle  -  Bermuda Triangle.

The summer between my junior and senior years I spent in New York.  We went to Empiricon in NYC.  They played a concert for us.  I really couldn't afford it, but I bought the album anyway.  Still beautiful and still takes me there.  At the time, Roger Wendy, and Sam were the band.  Sam is a mystery.  Where she went off to, I have no idea.

Wind

Dream On

Nights In White Satin

Free Ride

20 Year Old - Album - Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

The 2006-2008 years are chock full of some great albums in my book.  There's one album in particular that I'm suspecting will get drafted by someone in here, and while it's a great album, I wasn't really into it until probably 2-3 years after it came out.  There's another fantastic album that I'd love to pick but same thing, I didn't really discover them until 2010 or so, even though it's now an all-timer for me.

But for Vampire Weekend, I was in on this one since day one.  The unique sound was unlike anything I'd heard before other than an occasional Paul Simon song.  The combo of pop hooks, afro/worldbeat, combined with the bizarre prep school rich kid lyrical motif, satisfied everything I was looking for in music at the time.  Just weird enough to be fantastic, while being musically about as tight as you can get.  It's still probably a top-10 all-time album for me.

"Oxford Comma" / "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" / "A-Punk"
Who gives a #### about an oxford comma? 

I love this album. So strange, quirky and catchy. Guess my 40 year old album has one less option.

The summer between my junior and senior years I spent in New York.  We went to Empiricon in NYC.  They played a concert for us.  I really couldn't afford it, but I bought the album anyway.  Still beautiful and still takes me there.  At the time, Roger Wendy, and Sam were the band.  Sam is a mystery.  Where she went off to, I have no idea.

Wind

Dream On

Nights In White Satin

Free Ride
soothing

very "White Bird"-ish

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that it'd last forever
Oh, and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

All insects sing tonight
The coldest sound
I'd send God's grace tonight
Could it be found?

(It was "All insects sing tonight" I used as my MSN Messenger name). 

Used lyrics from this one as a screen name for quite some time as well. 

Every whisper
Of every waking hour
I'm choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool, fool
Oh no, I've said too much

20yo me was an explorer. I used to travel to Sydney every second weekend, 3 hours away by train. Most of the time to hit the record shops, see concerts and watch some indie movies. Occasionally to see the seedier sites lol. Most of the time by myself, but occasionally with company. 

Sydney had two major import record shops. Metropolis, which was mainly importing from the UK and Red Eye Records which imported from the USA. There were others, but these were the big ones. Ed at Metropolis would have stuff for me all the time. Id give him a list of artists id want the newest releases from and he would get em. One day when strolling into Red Eye i heard this amazing sound. The intro to Love and Rockets song It Could be Sunshine blasted into the opening riff and i thought what the #### is this? I stayed and listened to the whole album mesmerized. Bought a vinyl version on import straight away. Express was a dazzling album that i wouldnt stop playing. When i heard a new one was coming i got pretty revved up. Got it as soon as i could get my hands on a copy. Shared it with all liked minded people who to a person loved this band. Of course they didnt chart in Australia until So Alive in the next year or 2. 

At the time this album was fantastic.

I still play Express all the time as it holds up well. This one not so much. I gave it a spin in the last day or two and was heavily disappointed,  but at age 20 it was the best

20yo Album - Love and Rockets - Earth, Sun, Moon

Mirror People

No New Tale to Tell

The Light

Everybody wants to go to Heaven

Let's order a pizza, I gotta eat something before I throw up
Let's order a pizza, I gotta eat something before I throw up

Not calling, called it
Not calling, called it
Not calling, called it
'Cause I ordered it last time

saw this band for the first time opening for The Hold Steady. Real Song. Great video. 

25 year old song:

Ben Folds Five - Philosophy

Huge Folds fan and this song probably started it.  Was an adult (at least chronologically) and this seemed like "Adult" music.
Won't you look up at the skyline
At the mortar, block, and glass
And check out the reflections in my eyes
See they always used to be there
Even when this was all was grass
And I sang and danced about a high-rise

I want through a Ben Folds Five phase but it didn't quite stick - this song did, my favourite for sure. 

I have a general love the piano in rock music, which comes out quite a bit in bands I've picked here recently - Spoon and The Hold Steady in particular :wub:

25yo JML was a bit of an angry young man. The optimism of early life soon was blinkered by the reality of a ####ty job, parental failures and generally whining at anyone and everyone who had failed me. Of course reality would eventually tell me soon enough that im an adult and responsible for my own choices, but for now...#### you, feck you and pharque you. 

At first I heard this song without the refrain on the chart shows. Wondered what all the fuss was about. As soon as i heard the full version, I understood. Perfect song for me to unleash my fury on

25yo song - Rage against the Machine - Killing in the name

Body and beats,
I stain my sheets
I don't even know why
My girlfriend, she's at the end,
She is starting to cry

When I was in grade 10, we had to take an "arts" class - music, art or drama. Despite my love of music, I had tried the trumpet, the clarinet, probably a couple others and I did not have the gift. I hated art. So I took drama.

It was a pretty eclectic mix of students, some like me who were there by default and some who were really into it. The year actually ended up pretty good, one time a girl named Sara was playing the part of a dog in some play and was wearing a button up baseball style shirt and her breasts completely popped out. On another occasion, a different Sarah (with an H.. half the girls my age are named Sara(h) was cast as Juliet in the big play and I was Romeo, since there were 4 guys in the class and I was the only one with any chance of memorizing soliloquy's.

Anyway, for one assignment, we were to bring in a song that meant a lot to us. Now this is age 15, so I brought in some dumb country song but then we split into groups and I ended up in a group with 3-4 girls (like I said, 4 guys in the whole class) who I was friendly with and liked but were a bit on the rebellious side. 

It turned out the assignment was to spend a couple weeks and form a plot/act out the lyrics of the song. One of the girls picked "Blister in the Sun" and as a group, we decided it was a good idea to go ahead with it. It was part rebellion, part naivete, but we were a good three days deep in establishing our play before the teacher came in and referenced the lyrics in general and particularly the ones at the end.

We got the "what does this mean to you" and "it sounds to me like a man masturbating to orgasm" awkward, awkward, awkward conversation but to her credit? She let us follow through, as long as we played it off in a comedic manner and weren't too explicit to the lyrics. 

Anyway, for one assignment, we were to bring in a song that meant a lot to us. Now this is age 15, so I brought in some dumb country song but then we split into groups and I ended up in a group with 3-4 girls (like I said, 4 guys in the whole class) who I was friendly with and liked but were a bit on the rebellious side. 
####... ####ty, sad epilogue that just came back to me, one of the rebellious girls I'm speaking of above got caught up way too deep in the drug trade and was killed last year in Toronto :(

Body and beats,
I stain my sheets
I don't even know why
My girlfriend, she's at the end,
She is starting to cry

When I was in grade 10, we had to take an "arts" class - music, art or drama. Despite my love of music, I had tried the trumpet, the clarinet, probably a couple others and I did not have the gift. I hated art. So I took drama.

It was a pretty eclectic mix of students, some like me who were there by default and some who were really into it. The year actually ended up pretty good, one time a girl named Sara was playing the part of a dog in some play and was wearing a button up baseball style shirt and her breasts completely popped out. On another occasion, a different Sarah (with an H.. half the girls my age are named Sara(h) was cast as Juliet in the big play and I was Romeo, since there were 4 guys in the class and I was the only one with any chance of memorizing soliloquy's.

It turned out the assignment was to spend a couple weeks and form a plot/act out the lyrics of the song. One of the girls picked "Blister in the Sun" and as a group, we decided it was a good idea to go ahead with it. It was part rebellion, part naivete, but we were a good three days deep in establishing our play before the teacher came in and referenced the lyrics in general and particularly the ones at the end.

We got the "what does this mean to you" and "it sounds to me like a man masturbating to orgasm" awkward, awkward, awkward conversation but to her credit? She let us follow through, as long as we played it off in a comedic manner and weren't too explicit to the lyrics. 
That's the reason I said VF was for precocious tenth graders or around then. Oh, to be fifteen and in drama club. That's when it hits the fan a bit if you're a kid into the arts, and there's a scene all of its own. It's more serious in larger towns, and though ours was a small town arts enrichment, there still was drama in the drama club. My fifteen year-old song is completely influenced by it. It was my first pubescent kiss that I was the initiator of, but it was during a play, so to no effect, to no avail. It was scripted. No creeper. But it felt weird because...

It was the girl that I liked even before the darn play started. Oof. That's no fun at the age of fifteen. I honestly didn't enjoy anything that went along with along with it.

I can just hear your conversation about masturbation, though. I can see how swimmingly it likely went. I can see the arched brow of the adult, the in the know of it all, but that it was cool so long as you knew you weren't snowing her type of deal sounds like a good way to go. 

####... ####ty, sad epilogue that just came back to me, one of the rebellious girls I'm speaking of above got caught up way too deep in the drug trade and was killed last year in Toronto :(
That's really too bad. Sorry, man. Odd to have a nice childhood memory come along and then something broadsides it. As for the clip, that the business owner mused "not again" doesn't speak very well for the area they were at. That's a shame, the predictability of tragedy, the banality of evil.

That's the reason I said VF was for precocious tenth graders or around then. Oh, to be fifteen and in drama club. That's when it hits the fan a bit if you're a kid into the arts, and there's a scene all of its own. It's more serious in larger towns, and though ours was a small town arts enrichment, there still was drama in the drama club. My fifteen year-old song is completely influenced by it. It was my first pubescent kiss that I was the initiator of, but it was during a play, so to no effect, to no avail. It was scripted. No creeper. But it felt weird because...

It was the girl that I liked even before the darn play started. Oof. That's no fun at the age of fifteen. I honestly didn't enjoy anything that went along with along with it.
I was the guy who had a girlfriend in grade 7/8... and this is far from a brag because unfortunately I didn't most of high school... high school was pretty easily the least confident period of my life. I went to a small school up to grade 8 and I was mostly one of the "cool kids" and in high school, I just wasn't. I wasn't a good hockey player and that sounds so stupid and like the most Canadian stereotype thing ever but that had a HUGE affect on status in high school. I imagine similar for football/basketball/baseball in the US, but at least you have three sports there and can maybe be good at one of them?

...anyway, that was a huge digression.. in grade 7/8 because I had the girlfriend, at school dances and the like we would always be the first ones on the dance floor. They would do "snowball" dances, where the two of us start and when they say snowball, I get a different girl to the floor, her a different guy and after they've said it four times, the dance floor is full - we all understand this concept, it's basic Covid math :oldunsure:

Anyway, that circumstances of grade 7/8 girlfriend and nothing in high school meant I was the first one my age to get to do hand stuff and (it felt like) the last one to go all the way... My girlfriend from that time still lives nearby and we see each other from time to time. She had a kid pretty young... but is doing well and we played co-ed soccer together for a bit (happier ending than my last story).

I'm digressing again, blame the imperial stouts.

If I was going to pick songs from my most pubescent, "first kiss" and "first dance" songs, they'd be doozys.

"Hero" by Mariah Carey

"Always" by Bon Jovi

"Again" by Janet Jackson (this one is okay).

I was the guy who had a girlfriend in grade 7/8... and this is far from a brag because unfortunately I didn't most of high school...
You and ilov should get together. You can discuss whose girl was in Playboy first. I kid, I kid.  I don't even know those songs. They sound like they were cut at the tail end of each megastar's recording career just in time for the eighth grade dance.

I think my eighth grade dance moment memory was our graduation one where he asked everybody to get on stage and we all wanted him to play...wait for it..

The Eagles!

Pretty Maids All In A Row

Me, Fish, Murray, Picard -- we all got a kick out of it.  I might have wanted Van Halen, but nothing was graduation suitable from them. VH was my first serious band at about twelve and onward to thirteen. I also liked cheez/glam rock like Poison and a few others already, just about to get into Hanoi and the Dolls.

🎵Panama

Fish and I, the next year, would take a family vacation to Rhode Island with his folks -- still my favorite trip memory ever, likely -- and jam out to Traffic the whole time. Every night before bed we played this

Dear Mr. Fantasy

@zamboni and wikkid have now caused me to go visit The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys just to finish the memory and maybe hear something cool and new (to me). 

Wind

Dream On

Nights In White Satin

Free Ride
The autoharp has a nice sound

I think my eighth grade dance moment memory was our graduation one where he asked everybody to get on stage and we all wanted him to play...wait for it..

The Eagles!
My eighth grade cherchez la femme story took place at a cast party after a junior high school theater production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 

I was on a couch in the basement necking with Sue Harris, who had played one of the dwarfs, when Christine Kesecki, who had a crush on me, dumped a can of soda on my head.  I don't remember what music was playing but it was cream soda.

One more thought since I'm thinking back to this time and it's kind of been on my mind anyway, so I'll talk it out here.

Like I said I went to a small school, so in terms of grades and such, I was pretty much at or near the top of the class. My good friend at the time and I got pulled out frequently for "enrichment" exercises (which at that time meant we had penpals across the globe from this brand new technology called "e-mail"). And then in grade 5 a new girl moved to town and she joined us at the "top of the class" (but it's like grade 6, so who cares).

Anyway, my childhood best friend, I lost touch with a long time ago, we had a falling out and went very different paths - he went hard into drugs as well, moved to Western Canada and honestly, I don't know what situation he's in now. I had another really good friend at this age - my "next best friend" and I recently reconnected with him - he had a rough patch too, addicted to ketamine and really struggled for a long time with his sexuality, leading to some tough tough years where those two guys who used to be my best friends were pretty lost. Anyway, second guy now still has a tough time of it - depression, suicide attempts a few years back but is off anything but beer/weed, has a good job and a is a distance runner with a long term boyfriend - I hope/think he is doing a lot better - he lives in Alberta, so no chance at a close relationship.

When we reconnected, I asked about my old best friend and he's basically had to write him off too. They met up when buddy #2 was in recovery and #1 tried to pretend he was clean but just wasn't and took advantage of free rent, while bringing stuff back that other buddy really didn't want to be around. I feel pretty bad for how things have turned out for him, but then again, our falling out - 25 years ago - was because he stole my bike and we were just going different directions.

In any case, I'm digressing again because this was really supposed to be about the girl who moved to town for grade 5. She was instantly the smartest and the prettiest girl in school, she wanted to be a doctor. She did well in high school and she liked to party, maybe a bit more than most but I don't know I just assumed she would be hugely successful. 

We're Facebook friends and I've known she has been living "off the grid" for a while. There's always been some "alternative medicine" and "go solar, so you don't rely on government energy" to her posts but lately it's to another level. She posted the "hair dryer up the nose to cure covid-19" before it was national with the guy in Florida and it was in the context of "we could all be cured by this but the government can't make money off it". Today she posted some QAnon, deep state, this is all a conspiracy theory and all will revealed on Easter because that's what Trump was referencing the other day at the podium stuff.

Anyway, there's really no point to this, I'm just using FBG music threads as group therapy and to get some thoughts out after some pints on a Friday night. I should probably stick to italics lyrics.

My eighth grade cherchez la femme story took place at a cast party after a junior high school theater production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 

I was on a couch in the basement necking with Sue Harris, who had played one of the dwarfs, when Christine Kesecki, who had a crush on me, dumped a can of soda on my head.  I don't remember what music was playing but it was cream soda.
I think she might have been truly down if she said "What? Kesecki no necky? This Becky?"

Of course, Becky was only a foil many years later, but still...

The autoharp has a nice sound
It should.  Roger designed it.

Roger Penney, the originator of rock autoharp, redesigned the autoharp's chord bar structure and gave the design to The Oscar Schmidt Company,[20] the largest American crafter of autoharps. Since then, all major autoharp manufacturers worldwide have switched to making autoharps using Roger's design. He used contact mics and magnetic pickups to create a true 'electric autoharp', and invented a braille-type system of round and rectangular chord bar buttons (which allowed the player to know by touch exactly what chord they were playing without visual observance). This made it possible to play complex chord patterns on a chromatically tuned autoharp in multiple keys. His sound is shaped with various effects, including wah-wah, phasing, flanging, fuzz, delay, octave and modulation.[2] He then developed a method of triggering live percussion simultaneously with the autoharp, utilizing technology incorporated into the harp's structure.[21]

He was also instrumental in the design and development of the first electromechanical harpsichord, which came to be known as the 'Baldwin Combo Harpsichord' (see electric piano). It was originally conceived and built in the mid-1960s at Cannon Guild, a premier harpsichord maker in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It had contact pickups, an aluminum frame, a spruce soundboard, and a clear plastic lid. Modifications were made later by the Baldwin Piano Company, who bought the design and prototypes that were made at Cannon Guild.

Anyway, there's really no point to this, I'm just using FBG music threads as group therapy and to get some thoughts out after some pints on a Friday night. I should probably stick to italics lyrics.
People shoot through your life like asteroids.  Sometimes they crash and burn.  The object of the came is to keep them from colliding with you.

If something good comes of it, then go for it. I wouldn't worry about stuffing real situations into italicized lyrics. Is the perfect lyric great? Yeah. If not, poets have driven themselves insane trying to fit emotions and thoughts into thoughtful meter and rhyme.

So, to digress alike: If it makes you feel any better, I'm actually in touch with my best friends from fifth grade. One had the same drug troubles and other troubles I did -- though he was also borderline suicidal, something I thankfully am not -- and now was (as of last year) trying to expatriate himself to Mexico, which doesn't seem so stupid now. My other friend got way into...drums. He still plays. He lives in San Diego and wanted to get together but I've been putting it off like a fool. I wanted to have a more solid backing when I saw him, and knew that drunk wasn't the way to go. Now that I'm at about a year without a drink, I think after this COVID-19 thing, I might contact him again. 

So it might make you feel better that two out three of us would be considered somewhat troubled. 

As for the girl, I've noticed a lot of girls I grew up with got dogmatic about politics one way or the other. Or at least let facebook influence them to post things that are pretty left or right. It must be tricky to hear someone once so intelligent succumb to theories afoul from truth. I tend to chalk it up to life's frailty. Everyone's searching and finding their causes and answers with a decentralized authority, which would lead me to another diagnosis I'm not sure is appropriate for this thread. So that's maybe for another time with me. But I try to find the humanity even in what I believe is rank error. 

And I'm trying today, of all days, to remember that, even in my condition, locale, and likelihood of contagion. It's tough, this humanity bit. But it's all we've got. 

I am struggling with this age 25 stuff.  I went through 3 major changes from age 20 to 25 - with the middle years dominated by punk.  Dayton, OH had a pretty decent punk scene in the late 70s and early 80s (Toxic Reasons and Dementia Precox were big) and we ran pretty hard with it.  Moved from pot and hallucinogens to speed and liquor ...though we kept the hallucinogens.  Back in my old hometown, my new "old" friends were very big into punk and harder edge new wave.  I changed directions.  

The Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bullocks" album would be the album for me for that period.  Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" or would be second.  The US wasn't in nearly as bad in shape as the UK but things didn't look good for younger people.  I was in college and the job market sucked.  When I graduated in '81 it looked like I wasn't going to get any kind of job with a future - NO FUTURE ...NO FUTURE FOR YOU!!!  WHADAYA GONNA DO??  I even tested to get into the Air Force as a navigator (eyes were'nt good enough to be a pilot), I was just two weeks from getting on a bus to head to Texas for flight school when I got a job at a small telephone company.  

Was a big Stranglers fan as well.  

But while at 20 I was hitting discos and listening to Yes, et al, and my 21 - 24 age days were a lot more hitting punk bars and chasing girls in punk bars.  But by 25, I had almost a couple of years working 6 days a week at the phone company, doing PR work, public speaking and running the small business office and gift/phone store - and had moved from that company to a much larger company in Hudson, OH, about 3 hours away.  

I was no longer an angry, frustrated college student with no future ...I was a part of the system.  And just another white collar grunt, struggling to get ahead.  I liked my job, I liked the people I worked with and I liked what I saw as a place to make a career.  I was happy.  I was busy paying bills, working, playing sports, and trying to get ahead.  I went back to my record selection pre-punk and the MTV stuff.  And of course, keeping up with Todd's solo and Utopia work.  🙂

I would imagine plenty of others here are struggling with these important blocks of music that are getting left behind because we change so much within 5 year spans in your younger days.   

Still trying to decide.  

was it your best paisley shirt?  

I'm living in an age
That screams my name at night
But when I get to the doorway
There's no one in sight

Users who are viewing this thread