What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Company announcement this afternoon - 2 Canadian employees diagnosed with covid-19. Both traveled and self-quarantined when they got back, so no threat of farther spread, it seems (I'm remote anyway but the head offices/factories could spread it pretty quickly).
Oh boy. Best of luck to you and your loved ones. Hold tight, Hold steady. 

We're getting pretty close to the present for me here with age 35 and this one is actually pretty easy for me. My favourite song of the past five years without a real close second. Toronto band, I've seen them a couple times at festivals - the first Wayhome and CBC Music Festival but those were both when they were touring their first album. At first I overlooked their follow up, just didn't immediately grab me but then this song.

As mentioned, in more recent years I lean a bit more towards pop and more towards female singers than I have in years past. I don't know if that's a change in what I'm liking, too many drafts with @Steve Tasker or (and I think this is it) that women are just putting out better indie pop-rock songs and albums than dudes these days.

In any case, I just find this so beautiful, love the build, the harmonies, everything about it. I've drafted it before, I'll draft it again

Age 35 Song - Alvvays - Dreams Tonite
Never heard of them before, but listened to the song and really liked it.  Their other songs sound similar, which is normally bad, but I like the sound - so it's good.  Thanks!

35.S   The Blues Is Alright  -  Little Milton

I was 32 when we had our first kid.  That's a life changing experience in many ways both large and small.  I don't remember going to a show between Nirvana when Mrs. Eephus was five months pregnant with our first in late 1991 and John Hiatt when she was six months pregnant with our second in late 1995.  I was still hitting the used record stores but the vinyl was getting picked over and squeezed into corners and crates on the floor under the CDs.  The stereo was exiled into the very back of our place on Shotwell and the records were all boxed up in the basement.  I'd bring one or two boxes upstairs and spend a week quietly listening to music from a portion of the alphabet. 

But they were good times, in many ways the best.  There's something about experiencing the mundane and routine with a toddler.  The world is new and ever changing through the eyes of the young and even a cynic like myself got caught up in the excitement.  One evening when our daughter was three or thereabouts, Mrs. Eephus picked me up from work because she wanted to get out of the house.  In those days, the quickest way from Downtown to the Mission was via the Embarcadero and 3rd Street.  The area was still mostly vacant lots and underutilized industrial because the Mission Bay development spurred by the Giants' ballpark and UCSF Hospital was still in the future.  It's a flat part of the city so reception of the small left of the dial FM stations was pretty good.  We were listening to KPOO, a small Black community station that played a lot of Rap, Reggae and African music.  That evening, it was a Blues show and this rollicking Little Milton party number came on.  After a couple of verses, we heard another voice join in to the simple repeating chorus.  It was our daughter sitting in her car seat singing "Hey Hey, the Blues is Alright" along with Little Milton. 

35.S   The Blues Is Alright  -  Little Milton

I was 32 when we had our first kid.  That's a life changing experience in many ways both large and small.  I don't remember going to a show between Nirvana when Mrs. Eephus was five months pregnant with our first in late 1991 and John Hiatt when she was six months pregnant with our second in late 1995.  I was still hitting the used record stores but the vinyl was getting picked over and squeezed into corners and crates on the floor under the CDs.  The stereo was exiled into the very back of our place on Shotwell and the records were all boxed up in the basement.  I'd bring one or two boxes upstairs and spend a week quietly listening to music from a portion of the alphabet. 

But they were good times, in many ways the best.  There's something about experiencing the mundane and routine with a toddler.  The world is new and ever changing through the eyes of the young and even a cynic like myself got caught up in the excitement.  One evening when our daughter was three or thereabouts, Mrs. Eephus picked me up from work because she wanted to get out of the house.  In those days, the quickest way from Downtown to the Mission was via the Embarcadero and 3rd Street.  The area was still mostly vacant lots and underutilized industrial because the Mission Bay development spurred by the Giants' ballpark and UCSF Hospital was still in the future.  It's a flat part of the city so reception of the small left of the dial FM stations was pretty good.  We were listening to KPOO, a small Black community station that played a lot of Rap, Reggae and African music.  That evening, it was a Blues show and this rollicking Little Milton party number came on.  After a couple of verses, we heard another voice join in to the simple repeating chorus.  It was our daughter sitting in her car seat singing "Hey Hey, the Blues is Alright" along with Little Milton. 
church

For as much music as I consumed on my own to this point my wife exposed me to several different artists I either hadn't heard of or given a real chance to before. Scrolling through my music I easily pin pointed a half dozen she was directly responsible for (Depeche Mode, David Bowie, Neil Young, Eddie Money, Frank Sinatra, Enter the Haggis) and another half dozen or so (Shakey Graves, Rival Sons, David Gray, Flogging Molly, Peter Frampton, and James Taylor) I would not have found had she not introduced me to someone like them. But one is on a tier by itself.

Me: (hears song) what's that?

Her: The Boss!

Me: Oh.

Her: How do you not know this song?!

Me: I only know a few of his songs and probably only like a couple of them.

Her: Well that's because you're awful.

Me: ....well, that escalated quickly.

Her: I'm making you a mix. And this is all we're going to listen to until you learn.

She made the mix. We listened to it nonstop in whichever vehicle we were in for weeks. And she was right. I'm sitting here writing out my age 30 album and I'm still at odds which one to pick. I just know it's him. Honestly, I probably should just pick that mix, but it isn't in the true spirit of the game. So...

Age 30 album - Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run

It isn't because of the title track. Nor is it because of Thunder Road. Those were the two Boss tracks I knew of before her - and what I thought were the only two songs of his I liked. It's because of 10th Avenue Freeze Out. It's because of Backstreets. It's because of She's The One. But above all else, it's because of the finish. Always a sucker for a good epic the 13 minutes of his music that forever hooked me was Meeting Across the River into Jungleland. I think he has better individual songs that she included on that mix (Incident on 57th St, Rosalita, Racing in the Street, The River, Point Blank, Ramrod, The Rising) and that I found later (We Take Care of our Own, Wrecking Ball, The Rocker, No Surrender) but when I think The Boss my mind immediately goes back to that first listen of Meeting-Jungleland. So since I can only pick one - it's this.

I met my wife right after I turned 30, and on the heels of seeing a bunch of really nice ladies. I was at a job routinely working 100hr weeks, so while I didn't know just how much future there was going to be, I knew there was going to be a future.

She's a fashion designer, and when we met had her own collection going with runway shows and everything. I've mentioned elsewhere that she's a hot hits of the 80s type of gal for music... U2 especially. I didn't have the pony any more, but still bore more than a passing resemblance which had to have played into my favor. And while I'm fine with all of that stuff, even at the time I was more into deeper cuts and bands. Not her. So it was hard to share music...couple of David sylvian shows drew yawns. 

But...her fashion shows needed stuff more in that mood than the Cure or u2. I put together a mixed tape for her to listen to and share with her DJ for her next one after we met. while not her regular listening, it gave us a chance to bond finally over music. She ended up picking an old tune that I always liked from my ambient/electro days as the show opener...and when I hear it, reminds me of those halcyon days when things were fresh and exciting and the future was limitless.

30yo song

Discovery- ultramarine (from every man and woman is a star)

Little fluffy clouds by the orb closed the show, iirc...although I may have them switched.

Oh, man, for me it's all about the title track.  :kicksrock:
I developed a new appreciation for it once listening to it in the context of the album. Also, my wife has a great schtick with this song. One of the local radio stations plays it at 5 pm every Friday. So she would seek it out, whatever we are doing and wherever we are that day - starting it off at a modest volume then with each part in which the song builds she would turn it up a couple notches. Until eventually she would get to the drums at about the 2:45 mark and just flip the dial all the way up to the max for the duration. But just as the song began to fade out she would turn the volume down and change the dial - because another local radio station plays this song at 5:04 every Friday. And she does the same ####### thing again.

I developed a new appreciation for it once listening to it in the context of the album. Also, my wife has a great schtick with this song. One of the local radio stations plays it at 5 pm every Friday. So she would seek it out, whatever we are doing and wherever we are that day - starting it off at a modest volume then with each part in which the song builds she would turn it up a couple notches. Until eventually she would get to the drums at about the 2:45 mark and just flip the dial all the way up to the max for the duration. But just as the song began to fade out she would turn the volume down and change the dial - because another local radio station plays this song at 5:04 every Friday. And she does the same ####### thing again.
I like your wife. Sounds like a great sense of humor, actually. And the Cleveland area sounds synchronized. 

But hearing somebody I'm in close quarters with and maybe want to strangle that night belting out "Tramps like us..." at the top of her lungs in the car twice might make me want to commit drastic actions. 

I met my wife right after I turned 30, and on the heels of seeing a bunch of really nice ladies. I was at a job routinely working 100hr weeks, so while I didn't know just how much future there was going to be, I knew there was going to be a future.

She's a fashion designer, and when we met had her own collection going with runway shows and everything. I've mentioned elsewhere that she's a hot hits of the 80s type of gal for music... U2 especially. I didn't have the pony any more, but still bore more than a passing resemblance which had to have played into my favor. And while I'm fine with all of that stuff, even at the time I was more into deeper cuts and bands. Not her. So it was hard to share music...couple of David sylvian shows drew yawns. 

But...her fashion shows needed stuff more in that mood than the Cure or u2. I put together a mixed tape for her to listen to and share with her DJ for her next one after we met. while not her regular listening, it gave us a chance to bond finally over music. She ended up picking an old tune that I always liked from my ambient/electro days as the show opener...and when I hear it, reminds me of those halcyon days when things were fresh and exciting and the future was limitless.

30yo song

Discovery- ultramarine (from every man and woman is a star)

Little fluffy clouds by the orb closed the show, iirc...although I may have them switched.
the mixtape as love poem................my trousers explode with delight 

Age 30 Album - Explosions In The Sky - Those That Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those That Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever

This plane will crash tomorrow...help us stay alive

And thus begins the liner notes and inscription from a cinematic album released on Sept. 10, 2001, a day before modern America would see planes crash and remember what wartime and its attendant circumstances were. The liner notes and inscription would quickly earn the band a visit from the Bureaus of everything in America, but simply put, it was planned out way too far in advance and was way too coincidental for a bunch of kids from East Midland, Texas, to be in the know about anything nefarious like an Al-Qaeda attack. Just earnestly good kids putting out a very different type of music for that time frame. Following in Mogwai's footsteps, they'd ixnay'd the lead singer aspect of things and just created music to communicate on an emotional level with their listeners.

And it works. Though better known for the more heartwarming and hopeful magnum opus, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, Explosions was also in empathetic form with the seemingly bleak Those That Tell...,  released a year and a half before my thirtieth year, discovered by me later given the advice of one of those crappy Amazon algorithms we all complain about. Years after, this band would go on to Friday Night Lights fame and become go-to soundtrack providers for indie movies and the like, but nothing would top their first two efforts. This is the most visceral of their works, their most bombastic, and depending on how you like your music, the most accessible with its loud/fast dynamic and immediate payoffs. Here, unlike in their efforts, there are very few songs that drift, very few without some sort of enjoyment at the end for the listener.

If I had to pick a track, "Have You Passed Through This Night?" would have to be the one. Starting with a quote from The Thin Red Line

This great evil. Where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us?
Robbing us of life and light.
Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
Does our role benefit the earth?
Does it help the grass to grow and the sun to shine?
Is this darkness in you, too?
Have you passed through this night?

Then the hype slips into an absolute bomb of a song, Chris Hrasky's militaristic drumming leading the way through the crescendo. Lovers unite, hold each other, take heed. There is no night. There has been enough darkness. More light, more light!

Alternate album was Jay-Z's The Blueprint. Two different albums for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving me some downtime to go back and read wikkid, otb, and flop's opuses.

I kid. Mine are long, too.

But that I care enough...well...

You tell, 'em, man. Probably the weirdest melodic group to come along possibly ever. Those songs and that voice lend a smoothness to punk rock it rarely sees. Danzig knew this, and became a figure easily parodied and set to satire, but at his best, Danzig is heads and shoulders above even the best of punk singers.

10:15 Saturday Night is my favorite B-side single (IIRC) that really didn't hit an album that I knew of. 

Alkaline Trio
You know how I feel about this band. Nothing but love for the boys' first three or four albums. After that...tough sledding for me. But wonderful upon first drunken listen. 

You know how I feel about this band. Nothing but love for the boys' first three or four albums. After that...tough sledding for me. But wonderful upon first drunken listen. 
Yep. Probably the first thing we really bonded over here. gosh darnit, Maybe I’ll Catch Fire and From Here to Infirmary were as great as their following albums were awful.

Yep. Probably the first thing we really bonded over here. gosh darnit, Maybe I’ll Catch Fire and From Here to Infirmary were as great as their following albums were awful.
Yeah, we did. I think you told me who Raymond Chandler was around then, because I didn't know. That his writing reminded you of their lyrics.

From Here To Infirmary is right on the cusp on when they start to go downhill for me, but I always confuse it with Good Mourning, which is not a good album. I think I had just moved back home when From Here To... came out and I was a bit burned out of depressing lyrics by then.

Yeah, we did. I think you told me who Raymond Chandler was around then, because I didn't know. That his writing reminded you of their lyrics.

From Here To Infirmary is right on the cusp on when they start to go downhill for me, but I always confuse it with Good Mourning, which is not a good album. I think I had just moved back home when From Here To... came out and I was a bit burned out of depressing lyrics by then.
I remember being so excited when Good Mourning came out and then trying to convince myself it was good. I was newer to Trio anyway. I don’t think I started listening until the first 3 albums were already released. I mostly didn’t even know what album the songs were from since we were illegally downloading them song by song from Limewire. 

I mentioned the 100 hr weeks at work... that went on for a year and a half. the kind of place where if you left the office (and it was a big open warehouse, basically- no walls- so walking out meant walking by every one of your co-workers) before 9pm, people looked at you like you were a monster. basically two of us, with 3 combined years experience designing a 150,000sf medical research building in grand rapids. not just one version- 10 ####### versions. 1 "good" version, and 9 "bad" versions to convince the client of the "good" version. jfc. christmas eve, new years eve... it didn't end. but at least I got a $92 christmas bonus (no schtick). I met my wife just as I was thinking/knowing it was time to get the hell out of dodge... and started leaving work at 8 to meet her for dates. all about timing. I mentioned some other nice ladies before that... hard to even meet up for a drink when I was leaving work past midnight 7 days a week.

and during those weekly 100hrs, daddy needed music to keep me sane and productive. mostly music to power through the exhaustion- so classical and mellow was right the #### out. beats. rhythm. a little bit of aggression. this is the main album in play that year plus.

30yo album

raffi's revenge- asian dub foundation

naxalite was the main tune for me followed by buzzin' ... the 1-2 punch to kick off the album.

Zamboni already covered the album, but we are allowed double ups and this has to be represented in the this time frame for sure.   In my previous post I was lamenting the passing of the record stores, but do you know what took the place of that?  FFA music drafts.  There are several rabbit holes I went down for those - of course for my research but more importantly listening to the picks, and keeping an open mind to stuff that I either hadn't heard of (which was tons) or that I hadn't ever really given a proper listen to.   The two selections for the 35 year old time frame I can tie 100% to our music drafts.  Hell, maybe it was 'boni that got me onto this song and album.   Like I posted when he picked - I can confidently say this is the album that I have listened to the most over the past decade or so.    The reason I put this here for song, is I vividly remembering listening to this song over and over, and it took me quite a bit before I even bothered to continue on to the next 2.   

35 year old song:  PINK FLOYD - DOGS

I was sort of expecting more embarrassing hair metal picks.  
I'm peak age for that, and there aren't too many in the draft that aren't five years older/five years younger than me, so I'm not too surprised.

Hanoi Rocks not enough hair metal?  I almost had Faster #####cat, too, but Jane's was there blocking it. 

I'm peak age for that, and there aren't too many in the draft that aren't five years older/five years younger than me, so I'm not too surprised.

Hanoi Rocks not enough hair metal?  I almost had Faster #####cat, too, but Jane's was there blocking it. 
Fair points.  Probably a pretty small window for the demographic needed for that hair metal sweet spot.  

Plus NV's Def Leppard pick was embarrassing enough.  ;)  

2002, age 35 for me, is my favorite year of music this century.  Makes these selections difficult.  

Zilla already drafted McLusky, NV took a Spoon song from KTM---both albums of that year candidates for me.

Age 35 song:

One With the Freaks - The Notwist 

This German band has morphed styles over the years.  This is their best iteration and best album.  My #2 of '02.  I discovered it on my first trip to NYC in February 2002.  My wife was attending a conference and I tagged along for a vacation.  She was in lectures all day/all week and I got to wander the city on my own with no agenda.  It was 7 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.  Gorgeous.  This was some great subway riding and neighborhood walking music.

Age 35 Album: Lie To Me - Jonny Lang

The blues purists I knew despised this album. And they were kinda right, since this isn't "blues" in the way most purists think of it. Luckily, I'm not a purist about anything except my impurity. To me, it's a throwback to early '70s Southern soul & rock. Go listen to Joe Simon's "Drowning In A Sea Of Love" and you'll see what I mean.

Whatever you call it, this album is a collection of really catchy songs. 

Age 35 album:

Looking back at raising my kids, I have to admit I was more engaged with them than I've given myself credit for.  My older son very much liked playing alone and exploring/doing things for himself, my other son liked companionship, so in addition to playing computer games with him, he also liked going outside and running around. My favorite activity with him was wiffleball.  I had a set of bases from when I used to play softball, so I set them out in the courtyard next to the patio door of the condo we lived in, pitched to him and when he connected, he would run around the bases like crazy while I chased down the ball and then tried to tag him with it. At first, I was able to catch him yet stayed just behind him to keep him running his fastest, but by the time he was 4, he was hitting the ball far enough that he was able to get around the bases before I could catch him, so I started throwing the ball at him, which he actually thought was funny.  As for my older son, he mostly stuck to the few things he liked most, including Blue's Clues.  Just before my 35th birthday (he was about 2 /12 at this time), the show released Blue's Big Musical, representing the height of the show's power and my son's love of it.  When he thought no one was watching, he would imitate the action on the video.  Therefore, my age 35 album pick is the soundtrack album, highlighting the big number at the end, I Can Be Anything That I Want To Be.

Strugill or X. X or Sturgill. I'm masking X for now, but it was never a debate between who would represent my age 35 song and album. They are two completely different artists, but which one fits the song - and which one fits the album. A thought that crossed my mind while out for a run over the weekend. And one that's returned through my head more than a few times since then. Then it hit me:

Age 35 song - Sturgill Simpson, Call To Arms

Before that performance I had heard of Sturgill Simpson, but I had never bothered to actually look up any of his work. The last 2 1/2 minutes of that performance...that got my attention. That wasn't country music. Listening to the album version and actually soaking in the lyrics took this song to another level for me, particularly this verse:

Well nobody’s looking up to care about a drone
All too busy looking down at our phone
Ego’s begging for food like a dog from a feed
Refreshing obsessively until our eyes start to bleed
They serve up distractions and we eat them with fries
Until the bombs fall out of our ####### skies

...Wow. Now, had I chosen a Sturgill album it wouldn't have been this one. It would have been Fire & Fury. Not because Sailor wasn't a great album; it was. And I'll explain more about why Fire & Fury in my album write up, but what finally made my decision on song vs. album for Sturgill was that performance. No single first exposure to a piece of music has grabbed me by the balls like Call To Arms did since I was a teenager...fittingly, by the artist that will be my age 35 album.

Age 35 Year-Old Song - Jimmy - M.I.A.

For some reason, this song resonated with my thirty-five year-old self. Damn, I knew by then I wasn't cool, but this song seemed to confirm I'd march to my own beat. My friends hated its straight disco. I loved it. I tried to make "Jimmy" happen with casual friends from the law school and Hartford set. It went over like Lacey Chabert's "Fetch" in Mean Girls. I think my friends started calling the song "Felch" (Okay, I just made that up). Anyway, I can remember sitting in my weirdly huge apartment in New Haven (it was my last year of law school, and I lived an hour away from the Hartford campus I was taking classes at, enjoying Little Italy and Wooster St. up close and school from a distance. And yes, you moron, you moved less than ten blocks from the projects. Hey-yo! And plenty of A/C at the link!), succumbing to some temptation or other, knowing I had to go to class, and just blowing it off.

I have no regrets about that time of my life. It was fun. Met a lot of people, ran with a drug dealer/friend named Kennedy, who was a stripper at the strip club I could walk to that was always under perpetual raid. Whatever. Kala was an album only second to my 35 year-old one to me. "Jimmy" was not hurt by its segue into some grimey #### called "Hussel." M.I.A., for all the criticism leveled at her, might have been the artist of '05-'10, and that's pretty heady company as far as I'm concerned. 

Age 35 album - The Rising - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Normally we try not to double up on artists in these drafts, but I think to tell the story of our lives through music when we need to, we need to. The Boss was drafted at least twice in this draft but not only is this record great, it's one of the more important records I've listened to. I went off to college, and I was not a Springsteen fan at all, but since the college I went to was in New Jersey his music was inescapable. I remember dreading going back for my sophomore year since Tunnel of Love was just released that summer figuing I would hear nothing else at parties. Well long story short, he grew on me and is now one of the artists I listen to the most.

On September 11, 2001, I was working at a law office in mid-town Manhattan. The girl that sat in the cubicle in front of me was on the phone with the company that handled our court filings, which was located downtown. The woman she was talking to told her that she had to go because "a plane just flew into the World Trade Center". "WTF" (this time not in a good way). We all ran to the kitchen/breakroom and turned on the TV. At this point the thought was that it was a small plane that somehow just accidently flew into the building. Then it became more clear it was a jet but still seemed like it must have been an accident. While we were watching the second plane flew into the building and someone immediately yelled out "Terrorists". We were obviously sitting there stunned watching. A few minutes later a woman partner came in and told us to all go back to our desks and work because there was nothing we could do about it  :loco: .

I started calling some friends on their cells that worked in the WTC and was frantic as none picked up. My mother called the office and when the receptionist put her through to me the first thing she said (in a typical mother way) was "I hope I didn't get you in trouble by calling". She wasn't a big NYC woman so she had no idea where I worked in relation to the WTC  and was in a panic, so I assured her I was fine. I was listening to the news on my clock radio at my desk and when they announced one of the Towers just collapsed I yelled out  "####!" at my desk. Eventually around lunch time the partners told us all to go home.

I was living in Weehawken on a cliff  along the Hudson River overlooking the entire NYC skyline and while I normally took the bus into the city I headed for the Ferry station as the bridges and tunnels were being shut down to traffic. The line for the ferries was like a Disney ride stretching for blocks and zig-zagging back and forth. I waited in line for 2 hours, I kept looking in the sky at all of the helicopters circling the city - it was so surreal and creepy. One of my friends Jeb (from the God Street Wine story) that I had being trying to get in touch with called me back and told me that he got off the subway neat the WTC right after the first plane hit, not knowing what was going on, and saw the building on fire and people jumping out of windows from massive heights and got freaked and ran back into the subway to get to the LIRR station before they closed everything down. I finally made it on to a ferry and while we crossed the Hudson I looked over to where the WTC once stood and just saw massive stream of billowing smoke coming out of the ground and drifting over the entire skyline. Some guy stood up on the boat and screamed "I'm going to kill the first ####### Arab I see!" No one said anything back. I'm ashamed to say I wasn't nearly as upset with him as I normally would have been. When I got home two friends came over and we just started drinking heavily. My condo on JFK Blvd. had a terrace with a view of the entire NYC skyline and it was just eerie seeing the smoke rising up from lower Manhattan and covering all of the air above said skyline. I have some great panoramic photos that I took of it still. We went to dinner at a sushi place down the street, drank more, and watched President Bush speak. The entire restaurant/bar was silently watching the TVs- it was another surreal moment.

While a few of the songs predate 9/11 most of The Rising is a response to the horrific event. There is a story that a stranger pulled up to Bruce at a traffic light, rolled down his window and said "We need you now". My City of Ruin was originally written about Asbury Park but it took on a new meaning when recorded for the album. The album is heavy in many of its themes, obviously, but also offers hope and highlights our resilience during a difficult time. We did need this record, and we did need Springsteen, who made a career speaking as the "every man",  to put it out. It remains one of my favorites.

Empty Sky

looking back at 35- wife and I had moved into our current spot in the LES EVil together and were leading a settled down but fun, pre-married life with lots of travelling, nightlife and not much overhead. I was starting to do my own work and also getting back into shape and doing triathlons. it was a pretty great stretch of time.

music- particularly more rock stuff- was pushed into the background... I wasn't listening to the radio much and this started a period with decent sized hole in my music intake. 

I had been listening to Chilly Gonzalez a fewyears and we caught a show in SF one visit that year. Peaches opened for him... and I was hooked. tbh, it might have been Chilly opening for her. either way... I was (and still am) digging the low-fi electro thing.

35yo song:

#### the pain away- peaches

alts:

brand new day- dizzee rascal

rich- yeah yeah yeahs

let's push things forward- the streets

lets' groove again- chilly gonzalez (live w. peaches)

Age 35 album - The Rising - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Normally we try not to double up on artists in these drafts, but I think to tell the story of our lives through music when we need to, we need to. The Boss was drafted at least twice in this draft but not only is this record great, it's one of the more important records I've listened to. I went off to college, and I was not a Springsteen fan at all, but since the college I went to was in New Jersey his music was inescapable. I remember dreading going back for my sophomore year since Tunnel of Love was just released that summer figuing I would hear nothing else at parties. Well long story short, he grew on me and is now one of the artists I listen to the most.

On September 11, 2001, I was working at a law office in mid-town Manhattan. The girl that sat in the cubicle in front of me was on the phone with the company that handled our court filings, which was located downtown. The woman she was talking to told her that she had to go because "a plane just flew into the World Trade Center". "WTF" (this time not in a good way). We all ran to the kitchen/breakroom and turned on the TV. At this point the thought was that it was a small plane that somehow just accidently flew into the building. Then it became more clear it was a jet but still seemed like it must have been an accident. While we were watching the second plane flew into the building and someone immediately yelled out "Terrorists". We were obviously sitting there stunned watching. A few minutes later a woman partner came in and told us to all go back to our desks and work because there was nothing we could do about it  :loco: .

I started calling some friends on their cells that worked in the WTC and was frantic as none picked up. My mother called the office and when the receptionist put her through to me the first thing she said (in a typical mother way) was "I hope I didn't get you in trouble by calling". She wasn't a big NYC woman so she had no idea where I worked in relation to the WTC  and was in a panic, so I assured her I was fine. I was listening to the news on my clock radio at my desk and when they announced one of the Towers just collapsed I yelled out  "####!" at my desk. Eventually around lunch time the partners told us all to go home.

I was living in Weehawken on a cliff  along the Hudson River overlooking the entire NYC skyline and while I normally took the bus into the city I headed for the Ferry station as the bridges and tunnels were being shut down to traffic. The line for the ferries was like a Disney ride stretching for blocks and zig-zagging back and forth. I waited in line for 2 hours, I kept looking in the sky at all of the helicopters circling the city - it was so surreal and creepy. One of my friends Jeb (from the God Street Wine story) that I had being trying to get in touch with called me back and told me that he got off the subway neat the WTC right after the first plane hit, not knowing what was going on, and saw the building on fire and people jumping out of windows from massive heights and got freaked and ran back into the subway to get to the LIRR station before they closed everything down. I finally made it on to a ferry and while we crossed the Hudson I looked over to where the WTC once stood and just saw massive stream of billowing smoke coming out of the ground and drifting over the entire skyline. Some guy stood up on the boat and screamed "I'm going to kill the first ####### Arab I see!" No one said anything back. I'm ashamed to say I wasn't nearly as upset with him as I normally would have been. When I got home two friends came over and we just started drinking heavily. My condo on JFK Blvd. had a terrace with a view of the entire NYC skyline and it was just eerie seeing the smoke rising up from lower Manhattan and covering all of the air above said skyline. I have some great panoramic photos that I took of it still. We went to dinner at a sushi place down the street, drank more, and watched President Bush speak. The entire restaurant/bar was silently watching the TVs- it was another surreal moment.

While a few of the songs predate 9/11 most of The Rising is a response to the horrific event. There is a story that a stranger pulled up to Bruce at a traffic light, rolled down his window and said "We need you now". My City of Ruin was originally written about Asbury Park but it took on a new meaning when recorded for the album. The album is heavy in many of its themes, obviously, but also offers hope and highlights our resilience during a difficult time. We did need this record, and we did need Springsteen, who made a career speaking as the "every man",  to put it out. It remains one of my favorites.

Empty Sky
Chills

Age 35 album:  Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Like I said earlier, 2002 was a great year for music.  Several albums in contention but really there was no doubt this was going to my numero uno. I was already a fan of the band and really liked their first 3 albums.  But YHF took so many different interesting twists and turns and the song writing is unbelievably great from start to finish. If pressed, I would say this is my favorite album of the century.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Jesus, Etc.

Poor Places

Left the house this morning
Bells were ringing and filled the air
I was wearing the cross of my calling
On wheels of fire I come rolling down here

It's purely coincidence that this guy was in my high school class, I didn't even know that until after I got into this record and I saw him on Letterman or Conan or one of those shows, doing Underdog, and was like.. heyyy.. I recognize that Temple Wildcat..

I was aware of the band before this but never got into em, so I guess I was a bit of a latecomer,  I got into this though as soon as I heard it, really big on "Rhthm & Soul" (sic).  The ol lady loves em too, so they're probably our house fave, and that's all irrespective of having known Britt just in passing, and seen his band The Zygotes back in school.  I hear he goes back for all the reunions and is a big deal swingin' **** down there but neither of those statements apply to me.. there is a certain pride I guess, however..

35yo.album Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

35yo Album - (tie) Nick of Time, Bonnie Raitt, What Up, Dog?, Was/Not Was

Sometimes, good things happen to good people. It's great when it does.

I adore Bonnie Raitt. I have since i saw her at a coffeehouse when i was 15yo, if she was 20 it was just barely, and it was just her, faithful bassist Freebo and some junkie passed out in a front table who Freebo would rouse and prop up at the mike when a harp solo was called for. There are more impressive artists, but none so pure. She gets the best tone into a note, clear as mountain water, i've ever heard and that comes as much from her heart as her pipes. She loves music more than she does most people, but few try as hard (& desperately, romantically-speaking) to love people as she did. When they were still alive, she'd seldom tour without bringing one blues legend or other along for some legitimizing exposure and took as much joy from it as they did.

Not the easiest person to know, though. Mostly because she drank for courage. She was as uncomfortable with real life as she was comfortable with music. Couldnt hang the life without a load on, was the opposite of a diva. This was best illustrated to me a couple of weeks after i was first sent out on tour w her. She was playing a converted old-timey movie palace in Keene NH on a cold, rainy November night. The dressing rooms were in the column of the building above the marquee. The band and hangers on were getting their pre-show party on and i noticed Bonnie by herself, looking out the sideways window to the street below. As i moved closer, i could see she was crying. Turns out, this showbiz girl (her father was one of the biggest Broadway musical stars of the 50s) who'd just been awarded her first gold album for Give It Up was weeping in disbelief that 200some people were lined up in the rain to see her. Fought on her side of mgmt battles (she was as good at stubborn as music) from that moment on.

Until.........the downside of Bonnie hooking up with Little Feat is that it increased the chance of her going Hollywood. She was raised there before going to Boston for college, but it wasnt that. We used to say that music was created in NY,  but produced in LA, and that was especially true of female artists. Hollywood was always looking for the next Janis, then the next Ronstadt, the next somebody and the real nobody and everybody who loved Bonnie knew that Hollywood would swallow such an unassuming soul whole. The Feat, of course, didnt see it that way and she followed em out. I was already out of the loop by then, but it wasnt long before she put out a lameass, Linda-fied version of the 60s classic "Runaway", chasing the pop dollar. Incensed, i spent over $100 ($5-600 in todays money) to send her a 10pg diatribe by Western Union to register my outrage over her selling out. I remember using the word "Velveeta". Unfortunately, we eastern folk turned out to be right - when our round peg wouldnt fill their square hole, she found herself quickly without a label, and it remained that way for almost a decade.

Only saw her once after that. In the early 80s, a lady friend wanted to go see Bonnie when she played Telluride and i made backstage arrangements for our party. She agreed to host & greet us (mostly due to a kindness me & my bodyguard did her backinaday which is too personal a story), but she was wasted & distant throughout. It was the last time i saw her.

I don't know if Nick of Time was just in the nick of time, but it shonuff felt that way. And it's mostly due to her landing with the other half of this tie, Don Was. Finally, someone was able to capture her bright talent & old soul at once and the resulting jar of fireflies was a revelation. I sent her an even longer letter in celebration this time - no response. And their followup, Luck of the Draw, stands w OK Computer as my favorite album of the 90s and gave Miss Raitt all the celebration & success she'd long deserved.

Around the same time as Nick of Time, Don Was put out one of the best records nobody remembers, What Up, Dog?. There are few times i curse my limited vocal range as much as when it keeps me from faithfully reproducing Somewhere In America There's a Street Named After My Dad - one of the most singworthy tunes ever crafted. Chock full of other good stuff, as hearty as clever. Thought the two records were of a piece, so included them here.

JZilla said:
It's purely coincidence that this guy was in my high school class, I didn't even know that until after I got into this record and I saw him on Letterman or Conan or one of those shows, doing Underdog, and was like.. heyyy.. I recognize that Temple Wildcat..

I was aware of the band before this but never got into em, so I guess I was a bit of a latecomer,  I got into this though as soon as I heard it, really big on "Rhthm & Soul" (sic).  The ol lady loves em too, so they're probably our house fave, and that's all irrespective of having known Britt just in passing, and seen his band The Zygotes back in school.  I hear he goes back for all the reunions and is a big deal swingin' **** down there but neither of those statements apply to me.. there is a certain pride I guess, however..

My buddy and I were having a drink at the venue bar a couple hours before a Spoon show back in the early aughts and Britt Daniel sat down and had a drink with us.  He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

JZilla said:

Britt Daniel is as rock star as rock star gets these days. Crossing threads, see what Spoon chooses as their shirt

https://imgur.com/a/QL1Pin9

My buddy and I were having a drink at the venue bar a couple hours before a Spoon show back in the early aughts and Britt Daniel sat down and had a drink with us.  He seemed like a pretty nice guy.
Britt Daniel was playing Toad's Place before Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga blew up with The Underdog. It was a smaller venue in New Haven, and they were playing songs from their set. A girl who had been looking at me crossed in front of me and the stage and Daniel, with total aplomb, looked at me and goes "Oooh. She likes you!" Greatest show moment for me ever. Such a human moment, as "Black Like Me" would say in a song months later. I didn't know what to do about the girl. The show went on...

I humanize the vacuum. Oh yeah

Users who are viewing this thread