What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Marc Maron did a good podcast interview with Britt too, I think it's on youtube

Interesting to hear him talk about his high school years because it's consistent with what little I remember about him, he was a quiet kid early on - he was in a health/PE period with me, and I wanna say another thing the next year, maybe spanish - and by the time we graduated he was #### OF THE WALK /connery.  Was always tall and rather striking looking anyway.  

ETA - sadly I can't find that WTFpod on youtube now

it is on soulseek

Last edited by a moderator:
wildly uneven record. though the dastardly David Geffen betrayed her as he has, does & will, he knew what she had inside her and got it out once he got her signed to the largest deal in record history. one would have to look to fine art for greater evocations of order/chaos flowing thru the human soul than her first three Columbia records. without Tendaberry, i might never have learned my own heart. this bowl of raspberry ripple from Verve is the John the Baptist record common to so many artists (Bowie, Yes, Elton) of the age. and, tho my weirdvinyl discs from Small Faces & Dave Mason are somewhere in my storage, i'm the opposite of a collector.

i'm the opposite of a collector.
No, nor I, sadly. I always envied those with Excel sheets of documentation and lists of meaningful events. Journals. All of that. Ninety percent of my best #### has been forgotten or lost. Never coming back. I no longer console myself, my forgotten back pages are never to be read nor understood as they were when I acted them out. They gone, probably for the better. 

No, nor I, sadly. I always envied those with Excel sheets of documentation and lists of meaningful events. Journals. All of that. Ninety percent of my best #### has been forgotten or lost. Never coming back. I no longer console myself, my forgotten back pages are never to be read nor understood as they were when I acted them out. They gone, probably for the better. 
no regrets, myself. y'all keep building jars - ima go watch the fireflies...

El Floppo said:
I mentioned the 100 hr weeks at work... that went on for a year and a half. the kind of place where if you left the office (and it was a big open warehouse, basically- no walls- so walking out meant walking by every one of your co-workers) before 9pm, people looked at you like you were a monster. basically two of us, with 3 combined years experience designing a 150,000sf medical research building in grand rapids. not just one version- 10 ####### versions. 1 "good" version, and 9 "bad" versions to convince the client of the "good" version. jfc. christmas eve, new years eve... it didn't end. but at least I got a $92 christmas bonus (no schtick). I met my wife just as I was thinking/knowing it was time to get the hell out of dodge... and started leaving work at 8 to meet her for dates. all about timing. I mentioned some other nice ladies before that... hard to even meet up for a drink when I was leaving work past midnight 7 days a week.

and during those weekly 100hrs, daddy needed music to keep me sane and productive. mostly music to power through the exhaustion- so classical and mellow was right the #### out. beats. rhythm. a little bit of aggression. this is the main album in play that year plus.

30yo album

raffi's revenge- asian dub foundation

naxalite was the main tune for me followed by buzzin' ... the 1-2 punch to kick off the album.
eureka! this might be what sent your musical tastes into the IDLES of Reatardation.

35.A   Definitely Maybe   -  Oasis

In the early 90s, the birth of a child and the murder of vinyl were a musical one-two punch to my chin.  I had shifted from records to cassettes but the little buggers left a lot to be desired.  It was nice to play them in a Walkman or in the car but the fidelity wasn't the best and it was impossible to select a song other than the first one on a side.  But we made do.

Discovering new music was also a challenge.  We were in our 30s and not getting out much.  Commercial radio and MTV were better than they are now but worse than in the 80s.  But we found hope in an unlikely place for us---the mall.  Neither of us were mall rats growing up but pushing the stroller around Stonestown and grabbing some food court grub became a frequent Friday/Saturday night activity.  My favorite place were the Waldenbooks and later a Borders.  We would take turns reading aloud to our daughter in the kids' section with the free parent went to browse the magazines.

This was a golden age of UK music magazines with Mojo, Record Collector, Uncut, etc. publishing thick monthly editions with lots of reviews and ads.  Britpop was the flavo(u)r of the month with Oasis and Blur leading the way.  Its bright retro tones spoke to my personal zeitgeist more than Grunge, Gangsta or Shoegaze.  Based on the reviews and the Gallagher's cheeky interviews, we bought a cassette of Definitely Maybe on one of those mall runs and played the hell out of it.  We got a CD player sometime between Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory because we had a CD copy of the latter but the band's first album will always hold a special place.

:cry:

He was killed by a cellular phone explosion
They scattered his ashes across the ocean
The water was used to make baby lotion
The wheels of promotion, were set into motion

But the sun still shines in the summer time
I'll be yours if you'll be mine
I tried to change, but I changed my mind
I think I'll have another glass of Mexican Wine

Radiation Vibe was on my 30 year old song short list for this draft.   RIP.

adiation Vibe was on my 30 year old song short list for this draft.   RIP.
I think a lot of people love the self titled or Welcome Interstate Managers. They're both so good. Hell I love Sky Full of Holes. 
I was already into my 40s by the time Welcome Interstate Managers came out but some of the songs on it speak eloquently about people in their late 20s/early 30s settling down and settling period.

:cry: IRL, for so many reasons. Such a shame to lose someone not by his own hand and too soon for so many that appreciated and loved him. 

I was already into my 40s by the time Welcome Interstate Managers came out but some of the songs on it speak eloquently about people in their late 20s/early 30s settling down and settling period.
Yeah I put it on tonight and they're still so many that slay me. 'Mexican Wine' will always be my favorite but 'Hackensack', 'Bright Future in Sales' etc.. etc..

I saw this tweet tonight that gets it perfect:

adam schlesinger wrote songs that somehow sounded like they’d always existed

That said, one thing about being torn in a million different directions for genres is that sometimes you miss a gem or a classic from a genre because at first blush it didn't appeal to you. Right now, I have The National's Boxer spinning and I'm absolutely loving it. I picked them for "Cardinal" and Kyler Murray in the Summerpalooza draft, but I wasn't that familiar with their work. I only knew I liked it every time it came on recently on Spotify for suggestions for me.

Digging it. Perhaps this will be my Corona album. 

That said, one thing about being torn in a million different directions for genres is that sometimes you miss a gem or a classic from a genre because at first blush it didn't appeal to you. Right now, I have The National's Boxer spinning and I'm absolutely loving it. I picked them for "Cardinal" and Kyler Murray in the Summerpalooza draft, but I wasn't that familiar with their work. I only knew I liked it every time it came on recently on Spotify for suggestions for me.

Digging it. Perhaps this will be my Corona album. 
One of the best albums of the 00s, my favourite National album. It makes me sad now too, unfortunately, for different reasons. 

Age 35 album - 2001 -  I remember being excited when Leonard released a new album in 2001.  It had been almost a decade since his previous record. His pal Sharon Robinson collaborated with him on his 2001 album called Ten New Songs. She produced it, sings on it, and co-wrote some of the songs with Leonard. The album is mellow yellow, and back when it came out it became my unwind album for a stretch. I still like to listen to it sometimes when I'm relaxing or painting.

Ten New Songs - Leonard Cohen - Sample song - A Thousand Kisses Deep

Part 2 of the bands I love because of FFA drafts for this pick.  I knew the hits of course, but never really dug deeper.   Not sure I really have talked about them too much or have been able to draft them much, but it went from barely knowing them to them being one of my DI bands.  I honestly don't know why I didn't give them much of a shot before this time frame.   I guess maybe it was my repeated tries of digging into The Beatles more and not clicking overall with them, and I just ignorantly grouped them in the same style just because they are always talked about in the GOAT terms as like The Beatles?    Honestly for whatever reason it was Sway that clicked with me and hooked me.  Been in love ever since.  

35 yr Album:  THE ROLLING STONES - STICKY FINGERS

Sway

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Dead Flowers

Did you ever wake up to find
A day that broke up your mind
Destroyed your notion of circular time

It's just that demon life has got you in its sway
It's just that demon life has got you in its sway

Staring at the sun
With no pants on
High round and rosy
She thinks she knows me
Fighting off a cold
Murdering a campfire song

Spitting in the wind
From out a fast train
Or on a causeway
Trying to catch a bus
Swear I gotta move
Suffering the radio crime

So whistle in the sweet pine trees
The imaginary airport breeze
It flickers and flows
Fans fires in the road and
All we want to do is go home

Someone's gonna break your heart
One cold gray morning

Man, these Action Hero lyrics...

He drops by Mount Sinai
Where they're running through some tests
And they've taped things to his chest
And they're all doing their best
To make him feel at ease

The doctor says it's really just
An educated guess
I suggest you get some rest
Try to cut back on the stress
Cause I don't like what I see

But the action hero
Swears he feels just fine
He's got to finish saving
The world for all mankind
He's an action hero
He's an action hero
And he's racing against time

He's racing against time
There goes the action hero

He's racing against time

My wife and I don’t agree much on music, but she never puts my music tastes down.  One thing we both have a love for, however, is 70’s R&B/Soul.  In my mid-30’s we were listening to a lot of Earth, Wind & Fire and The Spinners - two of my all time favorite groups.  I could probably go song/album either way here, but I’ll go with:

35 Year Old Song: Games People Play - The Spinners

35 Year Old Album: Earth, Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits Vol. 1

As I mentioned in my age 35 song, it was never a question who would represent the album and song - the only question would be which artist would represent which category. I eventually settled on Sturgill Simpson representing the song, but had I chosen the album I would not have chosen the album in which that song resided. Why? Sailor was/is a great album. Now that Fire & Fury's had a few months to marinade I think he has better cuts on Sailor. But Fire & Fury did something that's been lost in music since we went digital. Sequencing. There was a time that sequencing mattered. When one song flowed into the next one. When the sum-of-the-parts were better than the individual pieces. And that is Fire & Fury.

Ronin is a non-descript intro void of lyrics, by itself it's a throwaway. But it beautifully led into Remember To Breathe. A song, that again, by itself - wasn't anything special. But set things up perfectly for Sing Along to really get the album into high gear. Out of curiousity, one day on the way to soccer practice I started the album at Sing Along in the car ride there - just to see if our kids would notice the transition from song-to-song. On the way there they never picked up that Sing Along and Good Look were two different tracks. Then on the way home the same thing happened with All Said And Done-Last Man Standing-Mercury in Retrograde, despite those three having completely different sounds. They don't make albums like this anymore - ones that are meant to be listened to beginning-to-end. And the coda, Fastest Horse In Town could not have been a better way  to end it. Building, building, and building then just as it finally wraps to a close - you hear that motorcycle burning out, the same motorcycle we heard at the outset of Ronin to kick things off 40 minutes earlier. And this isn't your age 35 album why?! Well, because another artist did this even better one month prior.

Age 35 album - Tool, Fear Inoculum

It wasn't intentional throughout this exercise, but looking back I was surprised Tool did not make the cut at any point before age 35. My intro to them happened between age 10 and 15 though. And at that age I didn't really understand the deeper messaging exuded from this group. Their follow up came through between age 15 and 20. Then their last one before their hiatus released when I wasn't paying attention to music. So looking back it made sense why they didn't find an age to this point. Despite no other artist impacting my music life more than them. What really drew me to them in the first place was their powerful sound. It was the length of their songs. It was the complexities throughout. But I didn't know any of this when I first gave them a listen. I was just loosely familiar with this group. I knew of Sober. I had heard Prison Sex. And I had purchased this album because of Stinkfist. And because during this stage of my life I was purchasing one new album per week. So I didn't really know what to expect after the first track (Stinkfist) came to a close. The next 8 minutes and 28 seconds changed all that. I mentioned in the Call To Arms write up that no first exposure to a piece of music had grabbed me by the balls like that since I was a teenager...fittingly, by the artist that will be my age 35 album. That song was Eulogy. And it wasn't the only time first listening to this album that I found myself with my jaw laying on the floor.

But what does all of that have to do with an album released 23 years later? As had I, they grew up. Those long, complex pieces of music were no longer 6-8 or so minutes in length. There isn't a single song on this album less than 10 minutes in length. Before their music generally started off on a more somber note, but they frequently finished with a fury. That wasn't the case anymore. There were new levels with this music, but just when you thought they were going careening out of control like the group you were familiar with they'd show restraint. And bring that particular piece of music to a more controlled finish, giving you a chance to breathe before going into the next track. They had shown signs of this before, but never consistently like they did throughout this journey. But above all else, what really made me appreciate this album was that it took multiple listens for me to really absorb the breadth of the album. I was overwhelmed the first time through and didn't really know what I just listened to. Even the second time through I was still lost - there were a few 'whoa' moments, but they were just that: moments. It was the repeat listens beyond that. I instantly connected with the closer, 7empest, but it wasn't until the 3rd listen that I felt the impact of Pneuma. It was longer before Invincible left a similar impression. It wasn't until I listened to Descending by itself before I really appreciated its specific place in the album. And it wasn't until I saw the title track live 2 months later that I really understood how it was the perfect first track. This is a complete album, beginning-to-end. There are some individual pieces that standalone by themselves, but the sum-of-the-parts is on another level. And we simply don't get that in music anymore. And despite it taking many...many listens before I put the whole puzzle together - I appreciate this album now so much more than I did when it first came out 7 months ago because it reminded me of what music was like before the turn of the century. When sequencing mattered.

Pneuma
Reach out and beyond
Wake up, remember
We are born of one breath, one word
We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

Age 40 song:

As evidenced by my age 35 song and album, I was pretty much tied up with my kids and their activities in the years between 35-40 (and beyond), but these were also years I had my first mid-life crisis and searched for connections to me as an individual.  My number of old friends I was still current with had dwindled down to basically zero; the cousin I grew up with and thought of as a brother was dealing with a family of his own and a wife who preferred her own immediate family over anyone else, so we weren't socializing with them at all outside of seeing them at church until they left for a different church. I had "friends" but didn't hang out with anyone and was too poor to go out much, so along with having the wife and family I had wanted as long as I can remember, I also felt a little 'trapped' in that I had no social life outside of my house.

It was also around this time that I lost my job and I was delivering pizzas full time and running up credit card debt to try to make ends meet. I took off work on my 40th birthday, however, because my ego couldn't deal with the thought of me spending this milestone doing the job of a 20 year-old; it just felt wrong.  My days of buying albums and listening to anything other than what my car radio could pick up were over, and I still haven't bought a music CD in close to 25 years.

My age 40 song is one that was in the rotation of songs that I 'sang' to my kids at bedtime, and appeared in multiple places in their lives as well: All Star by Smashmouth. This is another one I will break out if my son gets married.

35 year album  -  Dookie  -  Green Day

Heard Longview and fell in love.  Look!  Poeple who can actually sing and play their instruments.  F yeah.
This was second in my 20 year-old album pick. Would lock myself in my suite dorm room and listen to this and a few others, but this was king when it came out. Changed a lot of things in the music industry and punk as we knew it blew to smithereens with this album. 

I did but I don't care no more
I'm growing out and up and growing bored

This was second in my 20 year-old album pick. Would lock myself in my suite dorm room and listen to this and a few others, but this was king when it came out. Changed a lot of things in the music industry and punk as we knew it blew to smithereens with this album. 

I did but I don't care no more
I'm growing out and up and growing bored
Queued it + Insomniac for yesterday afternoon's run. Impossible to lay off the throttle with these 28 songs one-after-another.

You're just
A ####
I can't explain it 'cause I think you suck
I'm taking pride
In telling you to #### off and die

40yo Song - Love Reign O'er Me, The Who

An old song by then, but no song has dominated a period of my life like this did then. I ran up against sumn i couldnt game - my Mary's cancer. I've written about it too often already, including my regularly going into my office when watching her literally rot got to be too much, putting this on & screaming "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE" into a pillow (so she wouldnt hear me) along to the song til the lump in my chest dissolved. Couldnta made it thru without.

35 Year-Old Album - The Walkmen - You & Me

I think I just picked this for the century draft, but it was my number one album during my thirty-fifth year when it came out (the exact year - five days before my birthday, August 19th, 2008), so I'll pick it again because it truly was AoTY for me. Beginning with the lush-sounding "Donde Esta La Playa?" and then spiraling through the next five until the waltz-timed "Red Moon," one was almost in shock at the turn the Walkmen had taken from previously, more noisy efforts. Here the feedback is lessened, the guitars acutally more jangly, the songs really well-constructed, and a bit downbeat. Anyway, the album picks back up again with "Four Provinces" on Side Two and chugs and weens from there.  Hamilton Leithauser is at his nasally best here, sounding Dylan-esque but never imitative, giving the songs a weighty feel, as if they're worth the patience of nasally vocals. But that's about all I have for the album. I think that previous efforts Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone and Bows + Arrows might be better albums, but this was what came out in my 35th year, and this is what I listening to all the time.

If this were 2007, it would easily be Modest Mouse and We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank. With Isaac at his most provocative and tender best, Johnny Marr on guitar, and everyone else managing from bow to stern, these guys had it with that album. And T.I.'s King was also in the running, two years too early, but still fresh to these ears.

There isn't a single song on this album less than 10 minutes in length. Before their music generally started off on a more somber note, but they frequently finished with a fury. That wasn't the case anymore. There were new levels with this music, but just when you thought they were going careening out of control like the group you were familiar with they'd show restraint. And bring that particular piece of music to a more controlled finish, giving you a chance to breathe before going into the next track.
I'm saying this with a smile, but you just described Mogwai's decline. Argh. Give me the emotive arc! Stop the arc of restraint!

I'm saying this with a smile, but you just described Mogwai's decline. Argh. Give me the emotive arc! Stop the arc of restraint!
It is such a delicate line. Swing too much one way, as most do, and it becomes uninteresting. But if you get it just right...I think the most appropriate way to describe it is satisfied relief. As the last cords are struck on Pneuma and 7empest...as Fear and Invincible come to a more assertive close (but substantially less so by prior year Tool standards)...that's exactly the feeling that comes over me. By the time those birds chirp on the final outro that last 85 minutes of my life seemed to have gone by in a blur. And while the tensions of that particular day were all wound up when I hit play almost an hour and a half earlier - by the time I get to those birds...well, even though it's a dubious state of serenity - it's still serenity.

Age 40 song - 2006.  I was 40 in 2006 when this tune came out. This is one of those songs that I just instantly loved the first time I heard it. I loved the groove, the beat, everything. Still do.

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Love that song. I almost got tired of it, because you couldn't go anywhere for about a year without it drifting from some speaker. But, it's too good to wear out. And it still sounds fresh.

Love that song. I almost got tired of it, because you couldn't go anywhere for about a year without it drifting from some speaker. But, it's too good to wear out. And it still sounds fresh.
I have St. Elsewhere on record I dig it so much. I consider it a soul classic, though my depths of knowledge and taste might be limited. It grabs me, that's for sure. My favorite recorded live performance ever? The Who at Monterey and Gnarls Barkley at the Grammys, Cee Lo replete in pilot suit. 

https://youtu.be/CrHqoPhrgyA

2012 was a tough year to pick from, an annual playlist that I still go back to a lot..  I could have gone with any of these, and I like most better than my 2007 35yo choices too

Tame Impala - Elephant

Cloud Nothings - Wasted Days

Swearin' - Kenosha

Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine

The Men - Open Your Heart

Spider Bags - Friday Night

Ty Segall Band - I Bought My Eyes

Metric, Mark Lanegan, Alberta Cross all had sweet stuff too

age 40 song - Killing The Blues - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

This album, and this song particularly grabbed me the first time I heard it. It was released when I was 39, but still going strong at 40. Their voices blend together really well and the mighty Robert Plant accepted the fact that he was becoming an old man without going the yacht rock/american standards route that other former rockers were. It's grown up music but not old man music. The album was one of our go to CDs for weekly Saturday Night steak dinners and bottles of wine along with Chris Isaak's Forever Blue and the album I will draft tomorrow.

I realized doing this activity that I have bought very few albums from around 30 to today (42)

The album and song from 35 and 40 are from albums my wife listens to. 

35 Yr Old Album: Throwing Copper - Live

We had moved to Kittanning, PA by this time which is one of many small river towns outside of Pittsburgh.  Great place, but fairly poor place ...and getting poorer.  Steel and coal country - big union country.  But by that time a lot of that business had left.  I was running a 100 seat unionized call center for the local telephone company.  All but one of the reps were women, many of which, were the sole bread-winners for their families.  A lot of the husbands were laid-off from what had been nicely paying union jobs.  

Everyone smoked.  Babies smoked.  Main menu items ...full chicken wings (not cut into drum/split), cheeseburgers and pitchers of beer.  Except for when my then 60 year old buddy would suggest martinis by suggesting, "Let's get invisible."  They had a really nice 9 hole country club and we fell into a great bunch of people.  Really loved our time there.  We rented the lower floor of an old house that was right on the Allegheny River for most of the first year there.  The kitchen was tiny, the stove didn't really work, and the floor was so unlevel, our poor pug (Doug) would end up at the end of the day just sitting in the lower end of the little kitchen ...tired of fighting the uphill battle of sliding back into the corner.  

We blasted our music (new Todd album No World Order and going back to Healing & Nearly Human as well) since our upstairs neighbors (Slug & wife & kid) were also relatively young and loud.  But when we saw "I Alone" on MTV we were captured and soon had this album heavy into our album rotation.  

I don't think there's a bad song on the album.  

Users who are viewing this thread