What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Focusing on the positive -- GOOD things about the coronavirus situation (1 Viewer)

Started watching it and I'm sure it's great, but that's one of my favorite songs and just can't risk ruining it.

The positive things...

-Everyday except we took a day off yesterday and watched movies but everyday has been 3 mile walks, 3x we have gone on a decent length bike ride. We're cooking dinner, we're having whoopie a lot because she's home, she's not stressed, she's well rested, we're getting projects at home done that we've been putting off, we were planning a potential move to New York or just outside the city before the Virus, that has been one of the reasons I have been so dialed into what the NY Gov has had to say and how he is leading...those plans are changing perhaps. The reasons we would move would only be monetary and imagine leaving Palm Beach and a State with no income tax, that should tell you the kind of jump we were thinking about...and there's a lot of other reasons we would go like the Arts which are so near and dear to us and we thought a 2-3 year run while we were still at a decent age we would have a lot of fun and make some money in the process. 

But we realize there is so much more to life than money. We bring value into the work place and we will always find jobs, maybe not the exact ones we desire all the time but we have a lot of experience at this point and we need to have more confidence in ourselves and not just follow the money, it's too easy to be manipulated even if we didn't think we were prior to working at home. And the truth is we are lucky to be in the position we are now, both of us needed in the hospital for different reasons. I think I have mentioned it before but we work in philanthropy and fundraising at this point. The hospital is a non profit independent but it's also not St Mary's Bleeding Heart either, just to be clear.  Mrs and I opened a CV-19 fund so our donors could stay involved and so far we have raised over $1.5 Million in the last 2 weeks alone. We had a 500k and a 250k donation that really kick started it. Go back and read the first sentence of this paragraph...but money can also be used for good. 

We are starting to figure out what type of business we could work together in our down time because we watch entirely too much television. Cable is going to get snipped, what do I need it for right now anyways? I can't watch the Heat, Rays, Lightning, none of it is on the Sports package, time to re-set. We want to get a business going but we always say we don't have the time, we have discovered we can easily log 3-4 hours of TV like it's nothing and we just lay down too much and that has an impact on our health as well. 

Mrs can get the 10 foot paddleboard up on the roof of the Forrester all by her little self, I was proud of her. I got to play tennis at a private condo association today at 7am as the sun was just beginning to rise, 3 hours of pure heaven, I've been a lot more active off the courts and for the first time today I wasn't all that tired and almost feel ready to hit the bike for a nice evening ride around the waterways tonight, maybe bring a couple of adult beverages to sip on. 

I once again want to emphasize how much harder it has to be in the hot spots of this current virus so NYC, we just can't possibly know exactly what you feel right now but I imagine it's a lot worse than we we are at the moment. I expect it to get worse down here in South Florida and I am on a mission to try and avoid getting this if at al possible. I don't even want to flirt with this thing and the worst part is you can feel healthy and carry it to someone who isn't as strong or has quite the immune system and literally kill them...that's kind of a horrific feeling. So to avoid that I am trying to enforce social distancing when we play tennis etc...no touching no high five, switch sides staggered and keep a 6 foot distance. We have had several drop out and decide to stay in doors and I don't blame them, we have a couple guys in their 60s and 70s, best they not participate right now. 

I hope many of you are experiencing some type of personal or relationship growth thru this, and remember you can do more good for more people by taking care of yourself and ensuring when you are called upon or are around others that you are performing at your best, mentally, physically and emotionally. You can't be of much help if you are in a state of panic or worry. 

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilov80s said:
Leroy Hoard said:
A gallon of gas going for about the same as a gallon of water.
Too bad there's nowhere to go
My oldest son got his license two weeks before this all went down, and we picked up a car that he was gonna use a week or so later. Now he's home with no where to go and gas at $1.75 at Costco.

Positively, he was going to bring in a check to pay for a parking space at his school the day that they started the shutdown in our county. So we saved a $100 on that! 😉

I never "got" Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem. Now I get it. Swoon level get it. 

My sixteen yr old is pretty jazzed. She went from 38 TikTok followers to over 800 in two days after a 60K view post. I would think with Covid, there is a more captive audience.  🤷

My oldest son got his license two weeks before this all went down, and we picked up a car that he was gonna use a week or so later. Now he's home with no where to go and gas at $1.75 at Costco.

Positively, he was going to bring in a check to pay for a parking space at his school the day that they started the shutdown in our county. So we saved a $100 on that! 😉
$1.25 today at Sam's Club here according to GasBuddy.  Haven't driven my car since Monday.  Still have 7/8 of a tank 😞 

My dear mother-in-law is part of our Quaranteam so she's been coming over to our house for dinner a few nights per week.  She's a little 80 year old Black Christian woman so finding suitable after-dinner viewing is a bit of a challenge. 

Grammy had never seen or heard of Monty Python's Flying Circus before but she was laughing out loud to some of their sketches the other night.  We'll stick to the TV shows and avoid Life of Brian.

Our district started its “Virtual Learning” today. I teach middle school students with varying exceptionalities. I saw one of my students online and requested a video chat with her. She started crying immediately when she saw me on the CPU. Her mom was right next to her and asked why she was crying. She said, “Because I miss him!” Was a really cool moment. We will get through this, fellas! Keep the good stories coming.

I wonder if after this folks will be 'storing' more stuff to keep themselves prepared in case something like this happens again. Will people store an extra 'set' or TP and paper towels in their basements. Will people try to have larger pantries where they can store more nonperishable foods and stuff like that.

I wonder if after this folks will be 'storing' more stuff to keep themselves prepared in case something like this happens again. Will people store an extra 'set' or TP and paper towels in their basements. Will people try to have larger pantries where they can store more nonperishable foods and stuff like that.
Can't hurt. 

Probably but it's more the cost savings.  I'm the guy that usually buys a 4 pack of TP every week or other week.  It's such a money savings just going to Costco and buying a 30 pack every other month.  Same thing for paper towels.

I had to shave yesterday because I had work Zoom conference call but not having to shave is definitely a positive to all of this.

My pantry is tiny and we don't have basements here. Stockpiling isn't really an option normally. Right now the overflow items are in the guest room.

VA has shut down schools for the rest of the year. In an effort to provide some 'closure' for younger students with their teachers, a couple of the elementary and middle schools in my area organized 'teacher parades.' With the approval of the police department (who lead the parades with sires going) they slowly wound thru their districts, allowing their students to say bye to the teachers from a distance.

Just had an earthquake.   6.4, centered 80 miles from us in Boise.   Rolled for like 30 seconds pretty hard.

Getting a new puppy has been in the works for 3 months...biggest hurdle was trying to figure out the first 6 months of how we’d have someone home every 3hrs to let it out.

Well, we get the little guy today and it couldn’t be more perfect timing to train a new puppy!  This thing will be loved and trained like nothing else. It also has been an outlet of happiness and excitement for my family. 10 yrs from now when we talk about this historic time in our lives,   Maxwell will most definitely be an asterisk for our kids of positivity and happiness. 
Puppies make everyone smile!  Maxwell Corona got all blinged out this week...

https://flic.kr/p/2iKX9WS

https://flic.kr/p/2iKVwth

https://flic.kr/p/2iKVAXn

Nigel said:
Organized the workshop area of my basement yesterday, a bit of a half-assed effort but I'll throw it in the good things to come out of this category.

Before

After
Well done.  We have a large utility and storage room in our basement that I couldn't walk through.  Last weekend I must have hauled out 20 giant trash bags of stuff and a bunch of large items.  Some were gifts and toys and presents that were never opened and just sat down there in boxes for years.  Felt good to just get it all the hell out.  

Going to go back down one of these days when work is slow and make another pass, throw out a few more things, but mostly organize, and then sweep up and vacuum.  It'll be nice to have that finally done, been nagging me for many months, or years at this point.

When this pandemic is over, I'll be completely caught up on all my chores.

Haven't worn pants in 9 days.
Even when I went to the office I wore shorts because the place is largely deserted.  Awesome.

You're going to make some pit bull mix rescue very happy when you bring it home.
I ended up with a black lab/pit mix puppy this week (covering for the knothead that is my 20 year old, long story). 

Being at home lets me have more fun with the boundless joy that is a puppy.  You literally can't be sad interacting with her. 

Might as well try to find a purple squirrel.  Lesson for the next apocalypse:  Forget guns, ammo, liquor - Flowbees are the new currency.

---------

One thing that will be good about this is, if you have the cash, that the demand black hole we're going to be in means huge deflation.  I.e. #### is gonna be cheap (except for food).  

Went out for some exploring in the Tucson Mountains with my dog. Was beautiful out there. The wildflowers are starting to open. I really concentrated on being in the moment. Really looked at and listened to nature. It was quite nice and the dog loves it to. The dog is the real winner in this. I don't know how he will adjust when I have to work again. Right now its party every day in his mind. 🐶🐕🌵🌼

If you live anywhere near SE Michigan, today is absolutely perfection. Nice to have plenty of time to soak up this weather.

I can't come up with anything good. Life is just miserable right now. I mean, I am thankful for things, like the fact my job is fairly safe. But that's something I already had, COVID didn't contribute to that. Life right now just blows.

I can't come up with anything good. Life is just miserable right now. I mean, I am thankful for things, like the fact my job is fairly safe. But that's something I already had, COVID didn't contribute to that. Life right now just blows.
What about time at home?  Ways you can use that productively to do things you have been wanting to get to?  So that when this is over you don’t have to sweat those anymore?

My few big ones:

- cleaned out our basement; threw out tons of crap. Going for a second round at it this weekend, it’s going to be nice and spotless  

- plan to clean out the garage similarly well once we get a nice weather weekend day

- got a guitar and started playing again. Learning some solos I always wanted to learn.

- going to swap my daughters’ rooms this weekend, as we’d planned for a while.

- everyone sleeping in a bit more. Pretty nice. 

- More bicycle rides and walks with the family at random times during the week.

It’s not what I would choose necessarily, but no sense in dwelling on that. I have no choice. And there are plenty of productive ways I can pass the time. After a few months of this I would inevitably run out of productive chores, but at least for now, making the most of it. 

I love being home and getting so much time with the kids.  Even better they're sleeping until like 8am, been many years since I've slept that late in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread