What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How concerned are you about your job? (1 Viewer)

10 being very concerned, 1 not at all... If things don't improve within the next 3 months, how conce

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.6%

Votes: 24 6.9%

Votes: 18 5.2%

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 23 6.6%

Votes: 46 13.3%

Votes: 43 12.4%

Votes: 119 34.4%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Today, reality is becoming clear to me; if the world closes for a prolonged time, it's 50/50 I'll be without a job within 3-6 months. I've been at the same company for almost a decade and have been very comfortable, now everything appears to be collapsing... I can't imagine a huge portion of people aren't in this same boat. I guess I'm happy that I'm prepared and my family will hopefully be able to weather a storm, but I'm genuinely uncomfortable for the first time in 10 years. Cancelling all nonessential spending for my family at this point. Time to start preparing for the possibility of this getting much worse.  

If things don't improve within the  If things don't improve within the next 3 months,
:oldunsure:  

I work in IT for a company of about 8,000 employees.. Can do all my work from home with no problem..
But we sell Applications and services to other businesses and a lot of them are Small Business. If this goes on for 3+ months, and takes out Small Businesses, even the IT department will get slimmed down.. 

If worse comes to worse I could go "Freelance" creating Power Apps and Flows for those using Office 365 and find a need.. But hopefully it doesn't get to that point as getting Health insurance for my wife & I isn't something I want to have to try and do..

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't lose my job, but hospitals cancelling all non essential surgeries is going to flat out kill my commissions.  😥

These are prime earning years, time I have been using to get ahead.  Time I won't get back.  Hope this passes soon.

only been at the new job about 7 weeks. feeling ok for now, but if this bleeds into June/July then i'm going right to 10 on this scale. 

what's the old saying? "Last in, first out." 

I said 2, but in reality it's 1...I only say 2 because if you asked me a three weeks ago the chances we'd be home-quarantined for a month or more, I'd have said 1.  

I'm in finance for an animal health company.  As long as people have pets, and we eat meat, I'll have a job.  I don't think quarantine will prohibit that.

I am an architect, but I work for the Federal government. I’m not worried about losing my job. If I was still private sector, I would be seriously concerned.

Today, reality is becoming clear to me; if the world closes for a prolonged time, it's 50/50 I'll be without a job within 3-6 months. I've been at the same company for almost a decade and have been very comfortable, now everything appears to be collapsing... I can't imagine a huge portion of people aren't in this same boat. I guess I'm happy that I'm prepared and my family will hopefully be able to weather a storm, but I'm genuinely uncomfortable for the first time in 10 years. Cancelling all nonessential spending for my family at this point. Time to start preparing for the possibility of this getting much worse.  
I don’t know what’s going to happen or how we are going to get there but I feel like by May 1 people are going to have to go back to work. We can’t send the entire country into financial ruin. Hopefully the amount of cases has leveled off so hospitals won’t be overrun but unfortunately the testing situation is still horrific so I don’t know how we get there. Total disaster. 

I work for a very large consumer packaged goods company. I worry because it's hard for me to really "work from home" effectively in my job (sales rep) - lots and lots of emails and phone call, I guess. But mostly, it's because I don't trust large companies at all. They told us today that we met the sales target for the month of March on the 16th, so there's literally half a month of gravy sales. The money is rolling in, I've been here going on 6 years without an issue (though I have been through multiple "restructurings" and seen others in my job and above/below me sent out the door), I just feel like in big companies, everyone is disposable and it's all about the shareholders/bottom line (which in this case will still be very good!). 

I don’t know what’s going to happen or how we are going to get there but I feel like by May 1 people are going to have to go back to work. We can’t send the entire country into financial ruin. Hopefully the amount of cases has leveled off so hospitals won’t be overrun but unfortunately the testing situation is still horrific so I don’t know how we get there. Total disaster. 
I feel like we need a situation where we've tested enough people that the healthy can go out and carry (part of) the economy for some time while those affected are isolated and/or treated but we're nowhere near that point in USA/Canada.

I also realize that seperating the healthy and the diseased in a situation like this is part of the plot of basically every disaster virus/zombie movie, but I'm choosing to overlook that...

I work for big oil, but I have a secure job in my company. I voted 5, because of how bad it could get for our industry.  If the layoffs hit 50% then I will be in trouble.

I decided to take 2020 off to get my M.S. in Cyber-Security after 17 years in the same IT Management job.  I have have the resources to not work for all of 2020, though I had planned to start looking for work in September of this year.  I think I will be fine until then, not sure how the job market will look in the Fall, but I think with my 25 years of IT experience, certifications and newly completed masters I will not be unemployed; maybe just underemployed for awhile.

I took this new job 6 months ago as a way of fighting off financial bumps in the economy.

I do super-high end residential architecture. Most of the clients I was working for previously (while at other jobs) were mega rich ($100mil+), but would still feel it when the economy bumped. And architecture is usually the first industry to feel the hit when the first ripples of recession appear...and the last to come out of it. 

This new job, it's pretty much all billionaires and untouchables.

But the projects I've been running since I started are both wrapping up, and I'll have nothing to do by the end of April or sooner if Cuomo's edict closes construction sites. I'm already not at a full 40 hours of real work per week.

I've asked for more work...starting a couple weeks ago, but have been shut out. Not a good sign at all. And horrible timing. I think they'll shuffle work to people who have been there longer and likely lay me off when my projects wrap.

I see another month of work at most, and then *poof* ...####ed 

I voted 10...without any sense of hyperbole.

I chose 5 bc I’m a consultant so it’s always 50/50 regardless.
This is where I am as well.  Even though I'm on contract now, I've been receiving emails from recruiters asking if I'm available to interview.  Should this contract expire before May, I feel comfortable enough knowing I'll find something.  I'm not worried, but I'm keeping my eyes open and constantly assessing the situation.

A lot of people, I'll say 20-25%+ are without jobs and likely haven't had a tip in their jar for several days and after the weekend that's going to be a week or more in some areas...those people are gonna perish between now and whenever those magic checks are mailed(people will be guarding their mail boxes). 

My wife's hair salon said half their bookings cancelled, likely more. My house keeper told me she already had people canceling services, it's nuts Cap. 

A lot of people are losing their jobs that thought they were OK or on their way to prosperity from the last several years...

Chase is closing 1,000 branches, all the airlines, travel, hotel workers, restaurant workers of all types, entertainment industry not just Hollywood but even just local theaters, everyone is getting thrown into a recession at best so that we don't accidentally kill off a couple million sets of grandparents. It's a terrible feeling but the cynic in me just can't help it. We are going to bankrupt everything we have worked so hard to get right in the last few years and I'm reaching back into the prior administration as well, things were turning around prior to 2016. 

Class of '92, was in my early 20s when Clinton and the House were creating massive amounts of wealth, the crash of 9-11 and I was 27 and moving ahead. Went into Mortgages from there and had a good run for 5 years then the Mortgage crisis which we didn't get out from under until I will say the 2nd term of Obama things started to move a little easier. Now this, jsut seems like every time we get the ship righted something ridiculous happens that really isn't the fault of most American citizens. 

I’m in healthcare software sales. Critical communication technologies. Will be rough for a bit as many customers are in lock down mode obviously. Freeze in IT spend. But I do believe this creates a huge opp for us on the other side. 
We’re fortunate in that 75% of our revenue is recurring, almost all healthcare.  We will get paid. $70mm in the bank no debt. We are in better shape than many. But hey - I lead Sales for a publicly traded company. My job is always at risk. One bad quarter......

Hope my kids get through this with their jobs, and all my friends. Many are small business owners. Gonna get rough. Hang in there my FFA amigos

I feel like we need a situation where we've tested enough people that the healthy can go out and carry (part of) the economy for some time while those affected are isolated and/or treated but we're nowhere near that point in USA/Canada.

I also realize that seperating the healthy and the diseased in a situation like this is part of the plot of basically every disaster virus/zombie movie, but I'm choosing to overlook that...
I mean I just read a story where the manufacturers who make the tests can’t even get the parts they need. This is an unmitigated disaster on every level. What happens a month ago? People aren’t going to stay inside forever. It’s borderline amazing we got them all to for a week. 

Voted 1

Small private company (now 300 employees) in business since 1982.

We've never had a single layoff.

Seemingly, when weve had recessions we were hiring more people 

ETA: with that said...I'll get laid off on Tue

Very concerned. I work for a big technology company and we had a conference call today where the leaders expressed thankfulness that we work for a company that is so vital.  

I tried not to laugh because i expect half of us, if not more, to be laid off or given furloughs

Voted 2.  I work for a large auto supplier, as long as there is not an extended manufacturing shutdown I should be fine. 
worst case I think there could be a temporary furlough, but I am the only one of my position in my group so I’m not expecting any kind of outright lay-off, but who knows

Sadly, as a general pediatrician, my business will likely increase. 2009, the year of the Swine flu, is the busiest year our practice has had in the past 20, by a large margin. 

As far as the fear of losing my job, unless COVID-19 kills or significantly incapacitates me (which, given the current national preparedness level re: PPE and intensive care capacity, is not nearly as low a likelihood as it should be), I voted 1.  I probably should have voted 2. 

Registered nurse.  Not worried about losing my job, just worried my job is gonna turn into a giant #### show soon and last for a year.  

Adult psychiatry.  Gonna be a real hoot for a while, but at least the job should be there.  
You're probably in luck.  My brother is an RN, pediatric ICU.  He texted me today "every nurse is gonna have PTSD when this #### is over".

Not super concerned for my job personally as I’d probably be one of the last to go.  We shut our business down through the end of April as of right now.  We’ll be OK if that’s where it ends. If it starts to stretch far beyond that things start to get real scary...

I can and will be working from home some time next week. But the production guys cannot.

The only way we shut down before we run out of oranges sometime in June  is if the Governor makes us or all the production guys get sick. 

Voted 3

Keep drinking OJ people, it's  delicious and it's good for you. 
I worked at UF Citrus Research Center for years in the 90s.  Amazed at how citrus greening has decimated the industry here in FL.  Curious as to production now vs twenty years ago.  It has to be down at least by half I'd guess.

While I typically feel pretty insulated (manager of fraud investigative team for major insurance carrier with 22 years and significant industry education), I have to admit I'm going to go with about a four but it would be after many months of economic downturn.  I can't help but imagine the overall auto market is going to take an absolute beating not just in the near term, but in the long term.  This would impact not only production of new vehicles, but repairs to existing, accident related, essentially everything related to owning cars.  On top of that, business actually realize they can have employees work from home far easier than they would have imagined.  

This, will create less need for vehicles and in particular less miles traveled on the road.  Which will create less accidents.  Which creates less claims and perhaps a higher concentration of claims that are not legitimate.  Not to mention how many people if they are home bound and jobless will allow their auto insurance premiums to lapse.  I'd suggest its not unreasonable to believe that this year alone total miles traveled in this country is cut down by 25%.  If so, nearly everyone associated to the auto market will have some level of companion right sizing.

I went with a 5. I think it is about 75% chance of playing baseball this year, and if they don’t, I was most recent managerial hire in the department.  I’m not sure what that means for me, but I’d be lying to say I wasn’t concerned. 
I can also withstand it a bit better than many because I have my military retirement income, but it would seriously hurt short term, and potentially long term. 

I'm still at work today.  In King County.  70% of our people are currently WFH tho.  We might get shut down if shelter at home is ordered, but, it would be compensable from the government.  Zero worry about my job, one of the best fields to be in, I'm lucky.

I agree. For now, we are temporarily shutting things down to avoid a significant financial disaster. 

We cannot, however, prevent a significant financial disaster by opting for... a financial disaster. 

I am an architect, but I work for the Federal government. I’m not worried about losing my job. If I was still private sector, I would be seriously concerned.
This. Except attorney. 

Your job is probably a whole lot more fun. 

Not too concerned but if the overall economy goes in the crapper, we'll all lose customers/clients/etc so it's hard to tell. Really depends on how long they push this shutdown.

For example, look at footballguys. I'm sure if this went into the summer time, a lot of people won't pay for a footballguys membership if money is tight.

I said 2, but in reality it's 1...I only say 2 because if you asked me a three weeks ago the chances we'd be home-quarantined for a month or more, I'd have said 1.  

I'm in finance for an animal health company.  As long as people have pets, and we eat meat, I'll have a job.  I don't think quarantine will prohibit that.
Is your company headquartered in the Indianapolis area by any chance? I have an interview with an animal health company Monday HQ’d in Indy. A finance role too.

The fact that only 27% register above 5 is astounding to me.

Does anyone understand what 3 months of zero economic activity look like? We’ll quickly be collapsing to ruins, and if that coincides with the hospital system being bombarded, it looks ugly quick.

While still not my base case, the percentages are growing. I’m so hopeful this isn’t what happens, but I’d tell everyone to button up and be more prepared than they think they’ll need to be.

The fact that only 27% register above 5 is astounding to me.

Does anyone understand what 3 months of zero economic activity look like? We’ll quickly be collapsing to ruins, and if that coincides with the hospital system being bombarded, it looks ugly quick.

While still not my base case, the percentages are growing. I’m so hopeful this isn’t what happens, but I’d tell everyone to button up and be more prepared than they think they’ll need to be.
So are you expecting 50% unemployment or something?

Not too concerned but if the overall economy goes in the crapper, we'll all lose customers/clients/etc so it's hard to tell. Really depends on how long they push this shutdown.

For example, look at footballguys. I'm sure if this went into the summer time, a lot of people won't pay for a footballguys membership if money is tight.
meh - I'm in.  

My industry is booming and I can work from home with no issues. Only problem is I changed positions about 2 weeks ago.  It’s been difficult to learn something new without more face-to-face interaction with my more experienced peers. I think I will be okay, but it’s an extra hurdle to overcome. I had about 5 years experience in my previous role where I was very comfortable. There’s much more room for growth in my new position, but I probably would have delayed pursuing it if I knew things would get this bad 

I'm worried.  All depends on the length and severity.  Three months is not a problem  6 months is probably ok.  More than six months and I think people overall are underestimating what that means to their jobs, government or not.

I dont think we'll let it get to that point, we can't.

My industry is booming and I can work from home with no issues. Only problem is I changed positions about 2 weeks ago.  It’s been difficult to learn something new without more face-to-face interaction with my more experienced peers. I think I will be okay, but it’s an extra hurdle to overcome. I had about 5 years experience in my previous role where I was very comfortable. There’s much more room for growth in my new position, but I probably would have delayed pursuing it if I knew things would get this bad 
What industry?

Users who are viewing this thread